• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
i would kill myself if i had to talk on the phone for an hour anyway

giga

How the fuck can they get away with that? If there is a shortage you produce less of them...don't fuck the consumer for something they cannot control.

Apple is such a shitty company when it comes to profit margins.

this analysis doesn't make any economic sense, both from a supply or demand side.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The best part is that since they're using the current standard instead of their own arbitrary nonsense, Qi chargers will soon be in everything. As an Android person, this makes me very happy.
Yep. The secret killer feature of iPhone (almost everyone has a charger that fits your phone if you forgot yours) is about to get better and be more cross platform :)

mrkgoo

hOLY FUCKIN SHIT YOU GUYS

They brought back the BROWN MODERN BUCKLE and its 100$ cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ542ZM/A/38mm-brown-modern-buckle-small

worn mine almost every day since launch and ive had it die on me less than 10 times id say. id say the battery life in general is a day and half. maybe i dont use mine as much as some. but generally speaking if i forget to charge at night mine dies the next day around 1 or 2 pm.

its deteriorated slightly over time but not more than is normal or expected from batteries.

I think mine has died maybe once or twice. And gotten close as many times.

And mine is a series 0. Admittedly I do charge it every night without fail (have a charging stand), and will charge it a couple periods over the day when I take it off to wash dishes. On days where I don't I typically have between 50-70 % left. I sometimes do a two hour workout and that will take up about 20-30% power.

Haven't noticed deterioration because it has actually improved with OS updates.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What if you are one f those people who says I'm gonna leave my phone home now and something bad happens and you need to be on the phone for a long while?

nope.
in that situation you would be thankful you at least have your watch and would make other arrangements to facilitate you not having to be on the phone for an hour.

And mine is a series 0. Admittedly I do charge it every night without fail (have a charging stand), and will charge it a couple periods over the day when I take it off to wash dishes. On days where I don't I typically have between 50-70 % left. I sometimes do a two hour workout and that will take up about 20-30% power
this is true for me as well. i plop it the on the charger during the day every once in a while. I definitely have noticed some degradation in my series 0. Its not bad, but in the last few months it has changed a little bit.

Tobor

What if you are one f those people who says I'm gonna leave my phone home now and something bad happens and you need to be on the phone for a long while?

For a whole frigging hour? Who are you, a hostage negotiator?

Bring your charging cable and a battery backup I guess.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Apple Music streaming is the real question in regards to battery. I didn't expect it, was surprised to see it listed on the website.. though its listed as coming soon. So maybe never?
1 hour talk time from full battery charge. After using it a few hours or using gps, it's going to be less than that

nobody is gonna be making phone calls on the apple watch. its all about texting.

btrboyev

this analysis doesn't make any economic sense, both from a supply or demand side.

IPads don't have the demand a phone does. If they are having trouble getting parts for the production line, they can slow down production. They shouldn't raise the cost over to the consumer. The demand for iPad Pro's isn't even there.

antispin

it if it's cropped then you aren't viewing it in the original aspect ratio

It's resized to a larger area, while aspect ratio is maintained -- which leads to cropping. The aspect ratio is not changed. It's like changing a rectangle to a larger rectangle (but since the window you are viewing it from doesn't change in size, some of the stuff gets cut off), a change in ratio would be like changing a rectangle to a square, which would of course lead to distortion.

You can toggle notch on or off for video by double tapping the screen.

Yup. I was responding to the OP who said aspect ratio changes on tapping.

giga

IPads don't have the demand a phone does. If they are having trouble getting parts for the production line, they can slow down production. They shouldn't raise the cost over to the consumer. The demand for iPad Pro's isn't even there.

i'm not sure you can make those claims if you don't know what inventory levels they're maintaining. and trouble getting parts? i thought this was about nand prices, not shortages. they don't control component price hikes. decreasing their component orders wouldn't decrease its cost.

holygeesus

Banned
Apple Music streaming is the real question in regards to battery. I didn't expect it, was surprised to see it listed on the website.. though its listed as coming soon. So maybe never?

nobody is gonna be making phone calls on the apple watch. its all about texting.

I've never sent a text on mine. Probably because I wear it on my right wrist which makes it a bit difficult.

Is there any technical reason the current Apple TV couldn't do 4K HDR? The HDMI output is up to the spec isn't it?

Nice to finally have gigabit ethernet I guess but still.

mrkgoo

The store lists even the series 1 watch requiring ios11 and an iPhone 5S. Presumably that means they'll be shipping with watchOS 4 soon.

It means to people like me who has an iPhone 5 (lol rare I know), while I could get a watch yesterday, soon I won't be able to (apart from old store stock).

border

The LTE feature is really not designed for "Oh I feel like leaving my phone at home today". I don't suspect most people will want to do that anyway......Apple Watch is really not a substitute for a smartphone. LTE is just a way for you to ditch the phone when you're working out or going to the beach or something. You leave the phone in the locker room or your car.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's resized to a larger area, while aspect ratio is maintained -- which leads to cropping. The aspect ratio is not changed. It's like changing a rectangle to a larger rectangle (but since the window you are viewing it from doesn't change in size, some of the stuff gets cut off), a change in ratio would be like changing a rectangle to a square, which would of course lead to distortion.

Yup. I was responding to the OP who said aspect ratio changes on tapping.

Your arguement then would suggest a "full screen" 4:3 movie hasn't changed aspect ratio, its just cropped on the sides. It doesn't hold water. We consider an aspect ratio change based on how the content is being diplayed, if the sides are cropped because you are trying to fit a 16:9 video into a narrower screen, then you changed its aspect ratio. To prevent changing its aspect ratio you would have letter boxed it

mrkgoo

I've never sent a text on mine. Probably because I wear it on my right wrist which makes it a bit difficult.

Is there any technical reason the current Apple TV couldn't do 4K HDR? The HDMI output is up to the spec isn't it?

I constantly use my watch to message. Occasionally scribble or use pre-baked replies, but typically it's Siri.

Like I might be driving along or in a rush and I just talk to my watch to message.

Quonny

Me too.

People who have one, how is the battery life. He said 18 hours - do you really get that and has it deteriorated over time?
I've gone two days without charging my Apple Watch 2. I just charge it every night when I go to bed with a stand, usually around 60-70% charge left.

btrboyev

i'm not sure you can make those claims if you don't know what inventory levels they're maintaining. and trouble getting parts? i thought this was about nand prices, not shortages. they don't control component price hikes. decreasing their component orders wouldn't decrease its cost.

The nand prices are higher due to shortages.

They can drop production of some of the Pro models until stock comes down. Sales data on IPads shows they don't sell nearly as many of the higher end units.

The fact remains they should never put the price increase back on the customer. Raising the msrp on hardware that hasn't been upgraded is a shitty move. End of story.

Imagine if Nintendo started selling the NES classic at $80 because of their production issues. Same damn thing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Really don’t see the A8 as being up to it. Especially HDR (which may not even be possible over that ATVs HDMI version). I thought I remember people being disappointed that not only didn’t it do UHD, but it wasn’t even capable of being software upgraded down the road to do so.

Anywho, the power of the 4K model is so insanely advanced over the ATV4 it should really be an easy sell. A10X compared to A8 is over a 3x GPU upgrade. Guessing the ATV4 will seem like molasses by comparison.

Guess Who

Banned

HDMI on the 4th gen Apple TV is only HDMI 1.4, and the A8 doesn't have hardware decoding support for HEVC video (and it would explode trying to do it in software).

giga

They can drop production of some of the Pro models until stock comes down. Sales data on IPads shows they don't sell nearly as many of the higher end units.

The fact remains they should never put the price increase back on the customer. Raising the msrp on hardware that hasn't been upgraded is a shitty move. End of story.

Imagine if Nintendo started selling the NES classic at $80 because of their production issues. Same damn thing.
Why do you think lowering the volume of iPad production would decrease nand prices? You've already said they don't sell many. Dropping production wouldn't affect the demand of nand enough for component suppliers to decrease its price. That's on the iPhone and Galaxy phones.

mrkgoo

I dunno about parts shortage so or whatever (I mean maybe they HAVE slowed production and that means they want to increase the price to compensate).... but being in a non-US country, the prices of Apple products will fluctuate according to exchange rate patterns, typically when they refresh a product line.

This means a computer that was not changed during a refresh could be significantly cheaper or more expensive without any change. Or a new equivalent model may be more/less expensive than the previous.

It was also the reason why a 99c app was nearly half the price of a 99c song.

MercuryLS3

The 8 is a pretty weak upgrade honestly, the 7 seems like a really good buy with the price drop unless you really want wireless charging.

mrkgoo

The 8 is a pretty weak upgrade honestly, the 7 seems like a really good buy with the price drop unless you really want wireless charging.

Yeah I find it a little ironic that the time they drop the "S" mocked is the time when the update is the smallest yet. I guess it is a new physical design.

hirokazu

Might as well bring the phone then LOL.

Yeah I find it a little ironic that the time they drop the "S" mocked is the time when the update is the smallest yet. I guess it is a new physical design.
The 's' cycle is usually when they have a bigger internal upgrade. All up, this seems like a decent update to me anyhow.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple's posted some battery life numbers for the LTE Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

1 hour talk time on LTE, rip

what about battery life when streaming from Apple Music, a feature Apple specifically advertised during the event? Can we even stream a full album before the battery dies?

btkadams

Did they mention whether or not we get free 4k upgrades to our back-catalogue of purchases on Apple TV? Or is there an upgrade of some sort?

Fuchsdh

Maaaaaaaan why can’t they drop the price on that sexy space black link bracelet?

There's all those 3rd party versions of the link and millanese loops. I'm sure the quality isn't 100% but if it gets close, given how much cheaper they are, it might still be worth it.

Top Bottom