• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

EwjGxrRr.jpg

You guys is the iPhone 8 color gold gold or pink gold? I literally cannot tell as it looks different depending on which monitor I look at lol

I took this photo of the same image on 2 of my screens, I'm tripping out

Fliesen

EwjGxrRr.jpg

You guys is the iPhone 8 color gold gold or pink gold? I literally cannot tell as it looks different depending on which monitor I look at lol

it's somewhere in between, but way closer to the left. More salmony/coppery gold than pink gold. but much less intense than what's on your phone.

KdotIX

Guys. The continuous heart rate monitoring app on the Watch, is this exclusive to the series 3? Or will it be coming to all watches throw watchOS 4?

dc89

Guys. The continuous heart rate monitoring app on the Watch, is this exclusive to the series 3? Or will it be coming to all watches throw watchOS 4?

I think it's Watch OS4. They talked about it before announcing the new Watch so I hope it's the OS

Fliesen

yeah, it's why i never believed LTE to have a big benefit on the Watch itself.
I've grown to accept the watch to be an accessory to the iPhone.
Sure, LTE would be nice, but it's not worth ~$20 a month just for those times when i'm not carrying my iPhone.
The only thing i'm missing is the series 2's built in GPS, but that's okay.

Weirdly enough, the appleWatch must be among the devices i have the least early adopter's regret about. It still works fine, controls music and podcasts fine, still has all-day battery life, the app ecosystem is still as shitty as over 2 years ago.

Vuze

[imhttps://i.imgur.com/EwjGxrRr.jpg[/img]

Haha, I'm totally expecting this color to be like the gold 5S that also looks either gold, roségold or grey-ish depending on light and angle. But yah, obviously trust your iPhone screen (w/o Nightshift) on this one.

kiguel182

The LTE Watch just seems like something you need to have a lot of money to burn to invest on. I mean, it’s a nice feature but the data plan to support it is steep.

The overall increase in prices on the phones is a bummer. At least they keep the old ones around I guess...

Vuze

I think I will settle on the 8+ after watching and reading hands-on reports as well as comparing the features across 7+, 8+ and X.

iPhone 7+ of course has price and color advantage over all other models. Jetblack looks sick, I've seen it in person and loved it. I think the A10 won't hold up very well though; surely Apple will optimize all their software with the new neural engine in mind that all iPhones will have from now on. It seems to be of major importance for CoreML and perhaps ARKit as well.

iPhone X as a whole looks great and is not too far priced from the 8+. However, it seems to be in a bit of a dilemma software-wise for the time being (notch in landscape, sometimes even stock apps blur the area around the notch with a sharp line i.e. maps, some of the gestures just seem not fully baked yet like task switcher etc).
Technically it still is a first generation product from Apple, so I expect significant iterations on the design and software in the following years: less/no notch, even more screen, ProMotion, higher brightness, more intuitive control... I expect the price to go down as well over time when they can source components without much hassle.
OLED of course will be great but we'll have to see how it holds up in iPhones longevity-wise. Again, first gen product.

iPhone 8 Plus might be too large for me, but I'm willing to check it out. I have never tried a Plus-sized iPhone before.
I'm really dying to get my hands on a phone with a second tele camera. Lack of OIS and still the same aperture as on the 7 Plus is bad though. This totally feels like they were desperately looking for hardware features they could make exclusive to the X. Why wouldn't this better telephoto lens fit in the larger Plus-model?! Makes no sense whatsoever. Make the bump bigger like on the X, who cares. It's sticking out anyway.
Couldn't care less for front facing portrait mode, I took 16 selfies since August 2016 lol. I see why it will be a huge deal for others though as well as animoji in the US particularly.
iPhone 8/Plus also support HDR10 and DV playback but I'll assume it's like with Sonys mid-end HDR TVs where it doesn't meet the 1000 nits spec (8/Plus tops out at 625). Not a big deal for me.

The only other thing I despise is the white front bezels on the 8 Plus. The silver glass color seems dope but I'm not sure I'm willing to go for another white bezel phone (currently using the gold 5S). But black looks so boring :(

giga

Does the regular 8 have 3gb? Looking up geekbench scores, I've found 10,2 10,3 and 10,5. All three have different motherboard identifiers so are different phones.

10,2: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976942
10,3: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3975297
10,5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976700

Edit, I think they're still the plus based on previous models: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

So when do preorders go up on Apple? 3am EST on Apple's site?

Yes.

jediyoshi

EwjGxrRr.jpg

The white on your phone is pretty tinted, sure night mode isn't on?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I really like Apple watch man. In my head I was doing the calculation of switching to Apple. I need shit load of extra money even after I sell my S8+ for $700 CAD lol

I will hold my urge to do something stupid, but I wish there was a great smartwatch on Android size. Why isn't Samsung serious? Gear 3 looks hideous.

Does the regular 8 have 3gb? Looking up geekbench scores, I've found 10,2 10,3 and 10,5. All three have different motherboard identifiers so are different phones.

10,2: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976942
10,3: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3975297
10,5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976700

Edit, I think they're still the plus based on previous models: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

Yes.
It was my understanding that only the plus was getting the extra GB but I could be wrong.

dl77

Did anyone else feel like the Apple TV was pretty much swept under the rug?

Apart from it being bumped up to 4K HDR there was nothing there that leapt out that made me thing "This is the way forward, I spit on your Fire TV Amazon!".

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
https://i.imgur.com/EwjGxrRr.jpg[/

I took this photo of the same image on 2 of my screens, I'm tripping out[/QUOTE]

it's white and gold

Wait, now it's blue and black

Edit: I see I'm late to the party with this joke

NeoRaider

Just watched MKBHD's hands-on video and gold 8/8 Plus look REALLY good.
I never liked gold phones, and 7 looks really bad in gold color imo. But 8 looks soooo nice.

Currently on a 6... looking at an 8 or 8 plus.. what do I do GAF? Battery on my 6 is screwed so the extra battery life of the Plus is tempting for the long term..

Did anyone else feel like the Apple TV was pretty much swept under the rug?

Apart from it being bumped up to 4K HDR there was nothing there that leapt out that made me thing "This is the way forward, I spit on your Fire TV Amazon!".
Lol, how is that swept under the rug? You guys have weird expectations of Apple revolutionizing the world.

Currently on a 6... looking at an 8 or 8 plus.. what do I do GAF? Battery on my 6 is screwed so the extra battery life of the Plus is tempting for the long term..
Go try the 7 and 7+ and decide off of that. How easy it is to hold matters a lot to people. The plus is the perfect size for my hand so it's hard to go smaller but I know other people have the opposite problem. Plus has a lot extra stuff normal doesn't have but if it's too big to be comfortable I feel like it's moot point

LeleSocho

Banned
EwjGxrRr.jpg

Way closer to the left image even if it's way too yellow in that pic, the right one would look wonderful if it existed.

I would upgrade. If you have 6 and not 6s, 8 would be great upgrade.
Yeah, definitely upgrading though the question is to which.. I'm charging my iPhone 3 times a day which sucks.
Go try the 7 and 7+ and decide off of that. How easy it is to hold matters a lot to people. The plus is the perfect size for my hand so it's hard to go smaller but I know other people have the opposite problem m

I doubt I'll have the chance.. my main concern is honestly pockets, is that an issue for the plus? If I forego the upgrade program the Plus is the price of the 8.

Yeah, definitely upgrading though the question is to which.. I'm charging my iPhone 3 times a day which sucks.

I doubt I'll have the chance.. my main concern is honestly pockets, is that an issue for the plus? If I forego the upgrade program the Plus is the price of the 8.
Dunno, fits in my pockets.

NeoRaider

Well plus is huge imo. very big bezels.
I would go for regular 8.

Also, the lack of an optical zoom on the regular 8 is disappointing. It's a shame that people who want a feature like that without the added bulk of the plus are out of luck unless they go with the X.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Also, the lack of an optical zoom on the regular 8 is disappointing. It's a shame that people who want a feature like that without the added bulk of the plus are out of luck unless they go with the X.

Yup. Really don't want a plus sized phone, but really want the better camera.

dl77

Lol, how is that swept under the rug? You guys have weird expectations of Apple revolutionizing the world.

Not at all, but as an owner of the previous device I feel let down by the hyperbole they put out around the 4th gen machine - hyperbole that they've still failed to build upon. Given the price there's nothing amazing on there that makes it significantly better than much cheaper device. Indeed in some regards it's actually lacking in terms of catch-up TV options.

Clearly nothing's really changed in the past two years to make the device more attractive beyond an increase in resolution. When the largest chunk of a presentation for a device built primarily for watching TV/films is dedicated to a game then clearly something's not going to plan for them.

Good to know, I had some issues with my S4 back in the day though.

The lack of 1080P on the 8 is what is making it tempting:(

Reading about fast charging.. might the more powerful iPad pro charger charge these phones faster?
The article liked earlier I think said it would, with the one for the laptops charging the fastest but the pro one was faster from my recollection.

Maybe sometime else can weigh in on pockets, I've never had an issue with any of my phones so I'm not sure if I'm an anomaly.

NeoRaider

Yup. Really don't want a plus sized phone, but really want the better camera.

Regular 8 has OIS too.
Edit: Oh you meant zoom, available with secondary camera sorry, my mistake.

Damon

Hmm... Hong Kong prices are relatively reasonable, from about £825.

Interesting.

Lets say If I was to import one to the UK somehow, would it even be worth the hassle?
Would the price just be nearly the same as the UK RRP, after any import fees?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Interesting.

Lets say If I was to import one to the UK somehow, would it even be worth the hassle?
Would the price just be nearly the same as the UK RRP, after any import fees?

More I think, you'd be liable for import duty and VAT.

giga

Not at all, but as an owner of the previous device I feel let down by the hyperbole they put out around the 4th gen machine - hyperbole that they've still failed to build upon. Given the price there's nothing amazing on there that makes it significantly better than much cheaper device. Indeed in some regards it's actually lacking in terms of catch-up TV options.

Clearly nothing's really changed in the past two years to make the device more attractive beyond an increase in resolution. When the largest chunk of a presentation for a device built primarily for watching TV/films is dedicated to a game then clearly something's not going to plan for them.
If you have a 4th gen already, what were you looking for?

dl77

If you have a 4th gen already, what were you looking for?

As I've mentioned before an improvement to catch-up services and actually getting Prime Video out there would be a start. An app store that isn't simply stagnating where pretty much all the top apps have been there since day one. Though I don't own an iPhone surely it's not beyond their expertise to tie it into Apple TV so someone could come home, slump onto the sofa, hold up their phone and say something like "Siri, play Narcos on Apple TV" and have it boot up and start streaming. When they first revealed the device Tim Cook said, and I quote, "We believe the future of TV is apps" and, to me at least, that future still seems a long way off.

If I remember correctly it's got a huge heat sink built in and that's clearly not necessary for pretty much everything that currently runs on the device. Therefore you can tell by the device itself that they want it to be more than a Netflix box that also plays a thousand different endless runner games.

Maybe it's because I'm not tied into iPhotos/Apple Music etc but for me there's little to differentiate it from it's competitors that make me feel that the device is worth the premium you pay for it.

giga

As I've mentioned before an improvement to catch-up services and actually getting Prime Video out there would be a start. An app store that isn't simply stagnating where pretty much all the top apps have been there since day one. Though I don't own an iPhone surely it's not beyond their expertise to tie it into Apple TV so someone could come home, slump onto the sofa, hold up their phone and say something like "Siri, play Narcos on Apple TV" and have it boot up and start streaming. When they first revealed the device Tim Cook said, and I quote, "We believe the future of TV is apps" and, to me at least, that future still seems a long way off.

If I remember correctly it's got a huge heat sink built in and that's clearly not necessary for pretty much everything that currently runs on the device. Therefore you can tell by the device itself that they want it to be more than a Netflix box that also plays a thousand different endless runner games.

Maybe it's because I'm not tied into iPhotos/Apple Music etc but for me there's little to differentiate it from it's competitors that make me feel that the device is worth the premium you pay for it.
I don't know what catch up services mean but prime video isn't dependent on apple. But Amazon has already said it's coming so it's just waiting now.

Regarding apps, I just don't think that will ever be a truly big platform because of the price. If people want to game they buy dedicated consoles and if they want media streaming they get a cheap streaming box. The Apple TV is in a weird position where it's a "premium" streaming box and the specs definitely show that but the software side is up to devs to really utilize (which I don't think they ever will).

Top Bottom