• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

mrkgoo

The nerfs are not in areas that outweigh my dislike of the Plus size.

I’d really need to hold it to determine if I’d want the larger size. I don’t care enough about edge to edge, the camera, face id, or the front-facing camera stuff to take the plunge on it this year. Next year, I’ll go X or X-2. I’m on the IUP, so I can wait. It’s a great-looking phone, but, I’ll be fine with the 8 while everyone’s beta testing face id, the new swipe gestures and the notch. I only care about the faster processor and in that area it’s the same as the 8.

Fair enough. I'm still rocking my iPhone 5. Woo! I might try hold out for another year for the same reasons of just waiting out the first gen tech of the X.

hirokazu

Have to disagree. I remember recommending the iPhone 5c to my sister in law. That was a bad move, because the iPhone 5s was just $100 more if I recall and the 5s did way better. I think people will just get the best of whatever is out.
This is not the same situation. The 5c mostly using previous gen parts.

In this case, all three phones are both using the same processor. Just different feature sets. Not only is the X vastly more expensive than the 8, even the 8 Plus 256GB is cheaper than the X 64GB.

The features of the rear camera are the same between the 8 Plus and X as well (though I think the aperture of the wide-angle camera is different).

Okay, I overlooked that difference.

But I still think most people will settle for the 8 or 8 Plus given the price, and moreso when stock availability comes into play.

The 8 Plus seems like a weird choice to settle with. If you're already committed to spending $800 on a large phone why not go all the way and get the X?

hirokazu

The 8 Plus seems like a weird choice to settle with. If you're already committed to spending $800 on a large phone why not go all the way and get the X?
Because people have a limit on how much they're prepared to spend. It's a full $200 extra to go up to the X with the same capacity.

Vuze

Waiting for the Series 2 sales. Come on Edition!
Yes! I hope I can scoop a Series 2 SS or Edition for 200ish next year. Sometimes I'm kinda glad the Watch isn't a huge seller over here, providers often sell their remaining stock at significant discounts (got the Gen 1 SS Product RED edition for 200 for example).

I wonder if the 8 will be sold out instantly tomorrow. Kinda wanted to get it via a third party seller to get some cash back but the iPhone 7 launch was a shit show last year, barely any stock was provided to them.

Why not go with a 7+ then? The 8+ just sits in this really weird middle ground.
I agree. The 8 or 8+ are in a really weird place right now. Either go with the 7+ or just go for the X if money is a concern. You're paying $130+ for the wireless charging capability between the 7+ and 8+.

Vuze

Looking at the Shield TV resale prices and a voucher promo that is currently running, I might be able to get my hands on the ATV 4K for 20-25 bucks. I think I might get it on release after all alongside the 8+ 🤔

Looks like you're probably right, I went to the Italian store and they also only have aluminum models, no cellular.

Man, that sucks for those that just want a premium watch and never activate it

I'll be curious to see what kind of speed differences there are between the series 2 and 3, maybe it's insignificant enough that this won't actually be a big deal for someone looking to get a new watch.

I wonder will people just get an apple watch 3 and use that as their phone? you could right?

Still needs to be paired to the phone. Also LTE is a massive massive enormous battery drain

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Up to 18 hours
All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) usage includes connection to iPhone via Bluetooth during the entire 18-hour test. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) usage includes a total of 4 hours of LTE connection and 14 hours of connection to iPhone via Bluetooth over the course of 18 hours.

Talk
Up to 3 hours connected to iPhone
Over 1 hour connected to LTE
Tested with call placed from Apple Watch. Up to 3 hours of talk time while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Over 1 hour of talk time while connected directly to LTE.

Audio Playback
Up to 10 hours
Tested with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth.

Workout
Up to 10 hours indoor workout
Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS
Up to 4 hours outdoor workout with GPS and LTE
Tested with heart rate sensor on during workout sessions. Indoor workout tested while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Outdoor workout with GPS tested with Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) without iPhone. Outdoor workout with GPS and LTE tested with Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) without iPhone.

Charge
About 1.5 hours to 80%
About 2 hours to 100%
Charge times are from 0–80% and 0–100% using the included Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable.

CPU Performance
Up to 1.7x faster than Apple Watch Series 2
Results based on the performance of common user tasks.

Damn, I really wanted the SS Apple Watch, but it turns out that the Series three only comes with cellular and the prices are high. Does anyone remember the prices for the Series 2 SS models before these went up? Best Buy shows them to be $100 but if I’m going to upgrade from the original watch I might as well get the latest one. Hmmm

Fliesen

Almost same. But I can wait. I'll wait for the kinks to be worked out and the tech to be cheaper. I love my 7+. I'll probably have a harder time convincing myself not to get an 8+ rather than an X.

totally with you there.
Sticking with my 7 (i would have, anyways), hoping for the X2 to have a 120hz screen and for first and third party software to mature around the new screen / UI paradigm.

The fact that the Apple branded Qi charging mat doesn't ship until 2018 eases that pain a bit.

Damn, I really wanted the SS Apple Watch, but it turns out that the Series three only comes with cellular and the prices are high. Does anyone remember the prices for the Series 2 SS models before these went up? Best Buy shows them to be $100 but if I’m going to upgrade from the original watch I might as well get the latest one. Hmmm

apple is selling series 2 refurbs for pretty good prices but you'd be giving up the almost 2x performance jump, the more efficient W2 which I assume leads to at least a little better battery when not using LTE, and wireless charging, and the new sensor.

I'm in the same decision point and I think in the end I'm just saying fuck it and getting the S3 even if it is $100 more than it used to be.

Vuze

totally with you there.
Sticking with my 7 (i would have, anyways), hoping for the X2 to have a 120hz screen and for first and third party software to mature around the new screen / UI paradigm.

The fact that the Apple branded Qi charging mat doesn't ship until 2018 eases that pain a bit.
Yeah about that... I just realized iPads won't fit on it whenever they put Qi on that. I hope they'll do a larger one as well that can hold iPad, iPhone, Watch and AirPods.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
$50 for LTE I believe. I paid $599 for my OG and it’s now $649. That being said, $50 is generally a small price for LTE and having it there for down the road is potentially nice.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really curious if they were able to go 10nm for the Apple Watch 3 as well. Really, the next big bottleneck with this device's use-cases is battery life, and I'm not even sure die shrinks/refinements over the next few years will have a big enough impact to change this.

Honestly they're pretty conservative in their 18 hours estimates. I charge mine every evening because I never liked to wear a watch in bed, but I'm pretty sure I'd get about 26 to 30 hours out of it during normal use if I did not.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Really curious if they were able to go 10nm for the Apple Watch 3 as well. Really, the next big bottleneck with this device's use-cases is battery life, and I'm not even sure die shrinks/refinements over the next few years will have a big enough impact to change this.
No way they included a second core, a new processor (W2), and the new modem with LTE all in the same case and didn’t go down to 10nm. I really don’t know where they are going to get battery life from next year. At least it looks comparable to what I already have on my OG. Makes it good enough for me to upgrade to (mostly tired of the slowness).

With a workout and on OS 4 GM, I am about back to OS 3 charge. Like 30%. Without a workout I am closer to 50% (maybe like 45%).

Can't decide whether to get my wife an 8 or 8+. She's currently on an SE and wants something bigger.

I've seen the way she fumbles around when using my 7+ (especially trying to type one handed) and I'm worried with smaller hands she'll drop it a lot.

How much would she miss the extra RAM in the 8+ for day to day use of social media apps, texting and phone calls?

SuperPac

Can't decide whether to get my wife an 8 or 8+. She's currently on an SE and wants something bigger.

I've seen the way she fumbles around when using my 7+ (especially trying to type one handed) and I'm worried with smaller hands she'll drop it a lot.

How much would she miss the extra RAM in the 8+ for day to day use of social media apps, texting and phone calls?

Guessing not at all. I have a standard 7 and I never feel the pinch of not having the extra RAM of the Plus model. It's not a slow device, and I imagine the 8 will similarly not be stifled.

dc89

Guessing not at all. I have a standard 7 and I never feel the pinch of not having the extra RAM of the Plus model. It's not a slow device, and I imagine the 8 will similarly not be stifled.

Standard 7 user here and it's a fast phone.
I had a 6+ and that suffered for lack of ram - I guess pushing more pixels caused the slowness on that device compared to the 6.

But the 7 is very fast imo. Never had an issue with it at all and I don't actually miss the size of the plus.

Fuchsdh

Fair enough. I'm still rocking my iPhone 5. Woo! I might try hold out for another year for the same reasons of just waiting out the first gen tech of the X.

I'm definitely doing the same for my 6. Especially with a new battery the phone's doing pretty well, and I'd like to get X tech for non-X prices in a year or two.

Standard 7 user here and it's a fast phone.
I had a 6+ and that suffered for lack of ram - I guess pushing more pixels caused the slowness on that device compared to the 6.

But the 7 is very fast imo. Never had an issue with it at all and I don't actually miss the size of the plus.

Do you feel like you ever miss the extra camera features of the 7+? I use the optical zoom pretty often on mine and I know she'd appreciate having the best camera available on an iPhone for taking pictures of our kids.

Just don't want to get her the wrong thing. :)

Vuze

Apple has added a one hand keyboard in iOS 11 if that's your main concern.
https://apple.news/AeNtnVHfXT02jApuWnpyp9A

j-wood

Currently have a 7, think i'm going to upgrade to the 8+.

The 8s have a retina display as well, which the 7's don't have right?

Aiii

So not worth it
Every iPhone since the 4 has a retina display. If you meant "Retina HD", every iPhone since the 6 has had it, with the exception of the SE.

dc89

Do you feel like you ever miss the extra camera features of the 7+? I use the optical zoom pretty often on mine and I know she'd appreciate having the best camera available on an iPhone for taking pictures of our kids.

Just don't want to get her the wrong thing. :)

I don't miss it because I've never had it - I think.

You could always get the bigger phone and one of those things that stick on the back to help with grip. I don't like them personally but I see they're pretty popular these days.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has anyone from Canada tried paying for anything more expensive than $100 using the Apple Store app on the iphone, and Apple Pay? I know there is a $100 limit with tap to pay using apple pay, just the same as when tapping the credit card itself. But I also remember Apple pay not working in the apple store app when I wanted to pay for something more expensive about a year ago. I had to go to the site in the browser, enter the credit card info, and only then I could purchase. Is that still the case?

giga

T-Mobile giving $300 trade in (over 24 month bill credits) for iPhone 6 and up. Pretty good value for a three year old phone.

Daffy Duck

I really want an 8, but I am annoyed there is no 128Gb version, and now I don't know what to do.

My 6S has 24Gb free space, and I want to load more music on, so this means I have to go 256Gb, but the prices of an 8 in 256Gb are going to be stupid money on O2.

Considering I just use my phone for social media stuff, the odd picture and listening to music and watching YouTube videos and the once in a blue moon run on Jet Pack I am thinking if just getting a 7 now.

:/

Burai

shitonmychest57
I really want an 8, but I am annoyed there is no 128Gb version, and now I don't know what to do.

My 6S has 24Gb free space, and I want to load more music on, so this means I have to go 256Gb, but the prices of an 8 in 256Gb are going to be stupid money on O2.

Considering I just use my phone for social media stuff, the odd picture and listening to music and watching YouTube videos and the once in a blue moon run on Jet Pack I am thinking if just getting a 7 now.

How much data do you get? I found it made more sense to upload my iTunes library to Google Play and just stream everything than to pay Apple's crazy storage upgrade prices.

Vuze

What takes up the other 30-40GB (I assume you have 64GB) when you just do social media? What I'm doing with my 16GB 5S is just offloading photos and videos to iCloud. iOS is pretty smart about it and will adapt to how much storage you got left to store originals. I requires no effort whatsoever and having photos/videos always on the device I find to be negligible.

Anyone know when apple stores will have the 8/8+ on display (if not already)? Not necessarily to purchase... dunno if they might show them off early or something.

Top Bottom