• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

antispin

Have the Apple TV prices maintained their price point across gens? I'm interested in the 4k box but wanted to ballpark the budget.

reKon

Banned
Should consider adding a counter to the OP for every time someone shitposts about “courage” like it’s not a year old joke.

I don't know what you expect. People still crack even more jokes about Note phones exploding everywhere...

Even tech journalistic in every review they do of a flagship Samsung phone still reference it.

Enzom21

Have the Apple TV prices maintained their price point across gens? I'm interested in the 4k box but wanted to ballpark the budget.

1st gen launched at $329.
2nd/3rd gen launched at $99.
4th gen launched at $149-$199.
There will probably be an increase in price.

1st gen launched at $329.
2nd/3rd gen launched at $99.
4th gen launched at $149-$199.
There will probably be an increase in price.

I'm hoping if they're hoping to compete (and still make money) they'll just have one version of the 4th gen at $99 (still high) and the 4K ones at $149/$199 (high but not unreasonable)

Can't imagine going over $200 for a STB

hirokazu

I'm hoping if they're hoping to compete (and still make money) they'll just have one version of the 4th gen at $99 (still high) and the 4K ones at $149/$199 (high but not unreasonable)

Yeah, the problem with Apple TV is it's already a premium price, going higher while others already offer boxes for much cheaper and do the core job sounds like a bad idea. Unlike their other products, I think marketshare for Apple TV is quite important.

jiiikoo

Banned

Yep. Not sure about the price point of other STB's, but I can't recall them being a lot more than 199 in the past and it wouldn't make much sense making the Apple TV more expensive than those. Especially since it doesn't seem to do anything that unique, just adding 4K and HDR support.

Yep. Not sure about the price point of other STB's, but I can't recall them being a lot more than 199 in the past and it wouldn't make much sense making the Apple TV more expensive than those. Especially since it doesn't seem to do anything that unique, just adding 4K and HDR support.

Yep in this case it'll have all of the apps as the other STBs (and in some cases missing some, having just gotten Vudu and Amazon still missing). The price point they have it at just doesn't make sense.

I'll be switching because I like the interface and Airplay seems like it works well. But for the average consumer I don't see them getting one over one of the sub $50 sticks.

SuperPac

In for the X preorder. Curious to hear about the other stuff.

Especially excited to see what Face ID is all about. Couldn’t care less if Touch ID goes away if Face ID works well.

Jarmel

Banned
I really need to be sold on the Face ID as that seems like it could be a pain in the ass in a lot of scenarios.

rrs

Wasn't the SoC found to actually be 2 high power/4 low power in a async setup, no high/low power toggle
If Apple comes out with their own tv service, I buy the Apple TV immediately.
I doubt it, Apple tried for years to get streaming TV stations to no avail (if the rumors were real.)

mf.luder

I want High Sierra to launch soon. I need to do a reformat and fix my boot camp partition but would prefer to get 2 birds stoned at once.

Matticers

I'm probably most interested in hearing about the new Apple Watch since I haven't bought one yet. I'll probably get an iPhone X too unless the details on it are disappointing for some reason.

Also hoping for a decent price drop on the current Apple TV models since the girlfriend wants to get one. I'm expecting $99.99 but anything below that will be gravy.

AdanVC

10 years of iPhone... Boy this sure is going to be a big Keynote to celebrate. I'm still rocking an iPhone 6 and... well, I will keep rocking it because I'm broke af right now so there's no way to upgrade at the moment hah.

VeeP

Any hope of the SE or the 6s getting discounted?

Usually when a new iPhone drops previously phone prices drop. 6S will definitely drop in price, either officially or by places like Best Buy or others trying to clear stock. I don't know if we'll see an official SE price drop tho. I know some places were selling the SE for $150ish this week? What price range are you looking for? Multiple phones or just one?

Usually when a new iPhone drops previously phone prices drop. 6S will definitely drop in price, either officially or by places like Best Buy or others trying to clear stock. I don't know if we'll see an official SE price drop tho. I know some places were selling the SE for $150ish this week? What price range are you looking for? Multiple phones or just one?

6s manufacturing will end for sure. It’ll be dropped officially

What if it's only 24 hours of Planet of the Apps and Carpool Karaoke?

Wasn't the SoC found to actually be 2 high power/4 low power in a async setup, no high/low power toggle
I doubt it, Apple tried for years to get streaming TV stations to no avail (if the rumors were real.)

They could have owned streaming TV if they would have offered one before Sony. I love PS Vue, but they started dropping channels and next month my price goes up $10 without any new features.

Vuze

Actually, the latest rumor is that the iPhone X is only going to be available in 128/256GB configurations
Yes please!! I was already considering getting the 256GB since 64GB aint gonna cut it for 4k60 but 128GB would be the sweet spot and appropriate for the price.

Also yeah, I'm mostly "excited" for the Euro pricing, Apple TV and AirPods revision at this point. LTE Watch is cool but will be expensive upfront as well as long term; and knowing our rip off providers here in Germany I'm almost confident it won't take off at all. iPhone 8 is simply unattractive next to X, can't wait to see how they spin the release of two such drastically different phones.

mid83

I'm in for the iPhone X. I don't see myself getting the Series 3 Apple Watch since LTE seems to be the major upgrade. I'm interested in the Apple TV since Prime Video is on the way.

I'd also love some sort of major redesign improvement on Apple Music so I can leave Spotify and get Siri functionality, but WWDC was likely the time for that. Plus, I don't feel like AM will ever get major attention based on the support it's had since launch in comparison to many features and improvements we've seen from Spotify during the same time period.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The real question about the LTE watch is how it handles hopping from wifi to bluetooth to lte.

The iPhone is still annoying at handing off to LTE, etc. I can tell every morning when I jam into my car in a hurry and tell siri to play music from my watch right as im leaving the driveway. It wont go through. If I do it a bit before I pull out it goes, and if I do when Im half way down the street it goes. But right in that sweet spot it always fucks up.

Actually potentially the biggest LTE watch question is apple music streaming... hmmm

I could see it technically being able to stream apple music, but I can't see the battery being good enough to make that meaningful. More like switching to LTE occasionally throughout the day as a fallback option if you go for a run without your phone, to keep in touch with notifications and calls etc

I just hope this new watch doesn't puh the series 0 to be obsolete. Don't want to get rid of my SS and in the UK new ones are bloody expensive

Ninja Dom

Here we go again guys, another year, another iPhone.

I've been on a wild ride with GAF going through iPhone 5S, 6, 6S and 7. Keynote, then pre-order, then delivery.

What are we all going for this year? 8, 8 Plus or X?

Ryaaan14

Banned
I got my iPhone 7 Plus at launch and financed it through Apple, does that mean I'm automatically eligible for the upgrade? Or do u have to specify u want in the upgrade program at the time of financing

Any help would be appreciated tysm

Top Bottom