• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Terminated Epic’s Developer Account

diffusionx

Gold Member
In terminating Epic’s developer account, Apple is taking out one of the largest potential competitors to the Apple App Store.
3Yk12pQ.jpg

phant0m

Nah. Epic has been goading Apple for years to get their way. They lost in court here so took it overseas and forced them to make significant changes to iOSin the EU. Then they still whined about it.

They could just publish Fortnite to the App Store and pay Apple 30% (same cut that Steam gets, which is why they made EGS) like fuckin everybody else but they prefer to be petty.

Fuck them.

Sidenote, I think Apple could have avoided most of this if they just cut their % to 20 or 15 but that’s another conversation.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not too often I see retailers and suppliers going at it publicly. But sometimes you see it. I remember Walmart and Lego having articles years ago.

But leave it to Tim Sweeney. He’s basically the Elon musk of gaming and will Twitter battle against any company. Even for things that involve legal kinds of topics he doesn’t care. Even ones he’s got business partnerships with. You know techies. Loud, proud and zero filter.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because of this

”Apple said one of the reasons they terminated our developer account only a few weeks after approving it was because we publicly criticized their proposed DMA compliance plan”

I’ve been somewhat dismayed how Apple have attempted to comply to the DMA compliance plan. I really hope that the EU takes swift and decisive action against Apple to force them to comply properly.

MarkMe2525

They could just publish Fortnite to the App Store and pay Apple 30% (same cut that Steam gets, which is why they made EGS) like fuckin everybody else but they prefer to be petty.

Fuck them.
You pointed out their dilemma yourself, on PC they were able to provide an alternative storefront, which resulted in customers having more options. I fail to see the downside, for the customer, if Apple had competition to their App store on IOS.

MarkMe2525

Apple seems like the kind of company I wouldn't want to be antagonizing.
I agree, they have way too much power to make or break a mobile software developer. Obviously, this isn't the case for a company like Epic, but it's a different story for a smaller studio or production house.

yurinka

Good, well deserved.

"In terminating Epic’s developer account, Apple is taking out one of the largest potential competitors to the Apple App Store" > really bad joke. Other than to play Epic's games, nobody cares about their PC store other than to get free games that we never play. In mobile this strategy will be even less useful because almost all games already are free.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good on Apple. Don’t take shit from anyone. Especially Tim Sweeney blabbing on Twitter.

I don’t even work on the retail side. I’ve always worked on the supplier side. But if a supplier is acting like an ass, just cut them off. There’s a million other suppliers out there.

Last edited:

BlackTron

You pointed out their dilemma yourself, on PC they were able to provide an alternative storefront, which resulted in customers having more options. I fail to see the downside, for the customer, if Apple had competition to their App store on IOS.

Which is more secure and easy to use for casuals, iOS or PC? You answered your own question. As someone who doesn't even like Apple and doesn't want an iPhone, Apple has no incentive to maintain its standards otherwise.

If Nintendo had to allow competing storefronts on Switch, how much R&D effort would they have put into even creating it? It wouldn't even exist. I would contend that the mere existence of Switch is a customer benefit.

Pelta88

I’ll feel bad for Epic once they compensate every originator of the viral dance moves they stole via mo cap. Then sold for hundreds of millions in pure profit, while the actual creators never saw a dime.

Last edited:

Crayon

I agree, they have way too much power to make or break a mobile software developer. Obviously, this isn't the case for a company like Epic, but it's a different story for a smaller studio or production house.

I don't follow the operations too closely but they are of course one of the most prominent companies out there, and been around for a minute. My general impression is that they do not like to play games lol.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hood on Apple. Don’t take shot from anyone. Especially Tim Sweeney blabbing on Twitter.

I don’t even work on the retail side. I’ve always worked on the supplier side. But if a supplier is acting like an ass, just cut them off. There’s a million other suppliers out there.
I think the issue at play is that Epic isn't a supplier in this arrangement. They're a competitor offering an alternative to a service that Apple provides.

I'm curious how the regulators are going to respond, if they do. Basing the ability to compete on acquiring a license (in the form of a developer account) from your competitor feels like malicious compliance from Apple. "Sorry, you talked bad about us so we won't allow you to compete" makes me wonder how the EU regulators will react.

I actually hope Apple doesn't get away with it. Not because I like Epic, but because it has a chilling effect on competition. With this move Apple has reasserted their position of gatekeeper of competition and I don't see how EU regulators let it slide. The whole requiring competitors to pay them a royalty is bad enough. This is just outright defiance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Team Cook, baby. What a baddy.
You know the old saying. The pen is mightier than the sword. How often has Tim Cook gone on Twitter compared to Sweeney blabbing about e-stores?

I don’t know how many times Tim Cook has got involved in Twitter battles but I sure see a lot of Tim Sweeney trying to force his way on people.

tkscz

Who is this really a bad thing for?

Regardless of how Apple is pushing the iPhone 15, they are not known to be a gaming company. And this isn't hitting Epic that badly in the wallet. Most people don't play their games on Apple devices and companies will still use their engine on games made for Apple hardware.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Who is this really a bad thing for?

Regardless of how Apple is pushing the iPhone 15, they are not known to be a gaming company. And this isn't hitting Epic that badly in the wallet. Most people don't play their games on Apple devices and companies will still use their engine on games made for Apple hardware.
"Nobody plays games on phones" isn't really an argument here. More money is spent on mobile gaming than on any other platform. This isn't about who plays, it's about who pays.

MarkMe2525

Which is more secure and easy to use for casuals, iOS or PC? You answered your own question. As someone who doesn't even like Apple and doesn't want an iPhone, Apple has no incentive to maintain its standards otherwise.

If Nintendo had to allow competing storefronts on Switch, how much R&D effort would they have put into even creating it? It wouldn't even exist. I would contend that the mere existence of Switch is a customer benefit.
False dilemma, this isn't about what's easier or secure, it's about a general computing platform forcing all transactions through a singular point of sale. Apple doesn't have a monopoly on smart designed UI or security, but they do have a monopoly on a platform that 90% of mobile software developers depend on for their livelihood.

Last edited:

tkscz

"Nobody plays games on phones" isn't really an argument here. More money is spent on mobile gaming than on any other platform. This isn't about who plays, it's about who pays.
And Epic gets most their money from console and PC players buying Vbucks in Fortnite (or is it licensing Unreal Engine? Does anyone know the answer to this?). Even then they still have a huge Android space for mobile. Point being it won't be enough to truly say if this is really bad for either side.

ReBurn

Gold Member
And Epic gets most their money from console and PC players buying Vbucks in Fortnite (or is it licensing Unreal Engine? Does anyone know the answer to this?). Even then they still have a huge Android space for mobile. Point being it won't be enough to truly say if this is really bad for either side.
The issue isn't whether it's good or bad for either side. The issue is whether it complies with competition rules that the EU regulators said Apple must comply with. How much money is at stake is important, but it's not the point.

MarkMe2525

I don't follow the operations too closely but they are of course one of the most prominent companies out there, and been around for a minute. My general impression is that they do not like to play games lol.
They definitely do not. I'm not an Apple hater (I own a few of their products and generally enjoy them) I was just referring to their unprecedented (in todays world) power and control over an entire industry.

Top Bottom