• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Terminated Epic’s Developer Account

Banjo64

cumsessed
"Epic's egregious breach of its contractual obligations to Apple led courts to determine that Apple has the right to terminate "any or all of Epic Games' wholly owned subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or other entities under Epic Games' control at any time and at Apple's sole discretion." In light of Epic's past and ongoing behavior, Apple chose to exercise that right."

StereoVsn

False dilemma, this isn't about what's easier or secure, it's about a general computing platform forcing all transactions through a singular point of sale. Apple doesn't have a monopoly on smart designed UI or security, but they do have a monopoly on a platform that 90% of mobile software developers depend on for their livelihood.
Maybe in US, but outside the US , Android is generally much more popular.

And especially in EU, Apple is not near the majority of phones. They said, I would t mind at least seeing non WebKit browsers here in US.

BlackTron

False dilemma, this isn't about what's easier or secure, it's about a general computing platform forcing all transactions through a singular point of sale. Apple doesn't have a monopoly on smart designed UI or security, but they do have a monopoly on a platform that 90% of mobile software developers depend on for their livelihood.

What made it a general computing platform? Assuming by general you mean "popular".

This is like saying that Nintendo had a monopoly on a platform that 90% of video game makers rely on for their livelihood in 1988. Well, yeah they did. That's how they got there. Without exclusive control Nintendo has no reason or desire to carefully design and launch the NES as a mass consumer product. Anyone is free to enter with a feasible alternative (Sega). Anyone is free to use an open platform instead of a console (PC). Which in this case would be Android. This is just whining because Apple's formula is too successful so it's "unfair".

Again I don't like Apple. But I don't want to rewrite the rules of doing business just because of that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What made it a general computing platform? Assuming by general you mean "popular".

This is like saying that Nintendo had a monopoly on a platform that 90% of video game makers rely on for their livelihood in 1988. Well, yeah they did. That's how they got there. Without exclusive control Nintendo has no reason or desire to carefully design and launch the NES as a mass consumer product. Anyone is free to enter with a feasible alternative (Sega). Anyone is free to use an open platform instead of a console (PC). Which in this case would be Android. This is just whining because Apple's formula is too successful so it's "unfair".

Again I don't like Apple. But I don't want to rewrite the rules of doing business just because of that.
The NES sold 62 million units.

There have been over 1.5 billion iPhones sold to date. It's past being "popular" and is now firmly in the realm of "ubiquitous".

You're also trying to compare something that's an entertainment device to something that (in America in 2024 at least) is a requirement for daily life - you literally cannot get a job, rent an apartment, bank, get utility services, date, or in some cases even buy food without having a smartphone these days.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The NES sold 62 million units.

There have been over 1.5 billion iPhones sold to date. It's past being "popular" and is now firmly in the realm of "ubiquitous".

It seems implied that you are making a point by adding this information, what is it?

MarkMe2525

What makes it a general computing platform? I believe that is obvious and self evident, and it has nothing to do with it being "popular". Your comparison to singularly focused platforms is irrelevant and doesn't help your argument, which I guess is .... well I don't know what it is.

Unlike you, I don't hate Apple, I'm just not pretending that they did not build their empire on the backs of tens of thousands of developers that made the content that drove their success. Now, Apple is in a position where they can quite literally break a company for whatever arbitrary reason they come up with and that needs to change. The same thing happened to MS in the 90's (I recognize the differences, I'm referring to the intervention from regulatory agencies.)

Is it a good thing that 90% of mobile developers professional lives is held in the hands of a singular mega corp? Is it a good thing for consumers to have only one storefront to select from on Apples platform? Hypothetically, would we be ok with MS locking out all other software sales and force devs to publish their work exclusively on a store that they control?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It seems implied that you are making a point by adding this information, what is it?
I edited the post above

You're also trying to compare something that's an entertainment device to something that (in America in 2024 at least) is a requirement for daily life - you literally cannot get a job, rent an apartment, bank, get utility services, date, or in some cases even buy food without having a smartphone these days.
Meaning that as smartphones become more and more a part of everyone's everyday lives, they are going to need to be regulated like this more and more to keep what is currently unchecked capitalism in check. When homeless people need a thing in order to survive, that's typically when the government steps in and starts controlling it. It's also the point where I personally consider that thing to be a "general computing platform", but I suppose legally speaking that's up to the courts to decide (hopefully, eventually).

If Microsoft isn't allowed a cut for every single sale made on Windows, then Apple shouldn't be allowed for every single sale on iOS. Windows itself is also just "popular", people have plenty of other OS' to choose from such as Linux.

MarkMe2525

Apple consumers don't give a shit
Well, you don't miss what you never had. I don't even believe that another store would be incredibly successful, Apple has a great product and people will choose their store because of that. They just shouldn't be allowed to actively block block competition, IMO. Meta and Android are great examples, almost no one uses anything other than their respective default stores, but I can purchase software on itch.io and install on my phone or Quest 3 no problem. Android even has a pop-up warning users that they can't guarantee the security of such apps, but one should be allowed to make that decision for themselves.

tkscz

The issue isn't whether it's good or bad for either side. The issue is whether it complies with competition rules that the EU regulators said Apple must comply with. How much money is at stake is important, but it's not the point.
I honestly forgot about the EU ruling, now I'm more interested.

BlackTron

I edited the post above

Meaning that as smartphones become more and more a part of everyone's everyday lives, they are going to need to be regulated like this more and more to keep what is currently unchecked capitalism in check. When homeless people need a thing in order to survive, that's typically when the government steps in and starts controlling it. It's also the point where I personally consider that thing to be a "general computing platform", but I suppose legally speaking that's up to the courts to decide (hopefully, eventually).

I think that this might become a conversation if Apple had a monopoly on the smartphone market, but they don't. The problem is about having a monopoly on the app store of their own device, not a monopoly of the smartphone industry itself. OK, you need a phone to get a job or apartment. It doesn't need to be made by Apple, and if it is, you don't need to download anything paid off their app store to perform those functions. It probably can as soon as it's updated out of the box. "Obama phones" were always Androids. The takeaway is that the option existed. That's not a monopoly to be regulated in the context you are suggesting.

phant0m

You pointed out their dilemma yourself, on PC they were able to provide an alternative storefront, which resulted in customers having more options. I fail to see the downside, for the customer, if Apple had competition to their App store on IOS.
PC has always been an open platform. iOS never has been. Why don’t PS and Xbox offer alternative stores? It’s their hardware and their ecosystem. Apple is the same way.

If Microsoft isn't allowed a cut for every single sale made on Windows, then Apple shouldn't be allowed for every single sale on iOS. Windows itself is also just "popular", people have plenty of other OS' to choose from such as Linux.

Why does the way Microsoft run their business get to dictate how Apples chooses to run theirs?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not really windows and Ms dos has always been third party software.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
"Epic's egregious breach of its contractual obligations to Apple led courts to determine that Apple has the right to terminate "any or all of Epic Games' wholly owned subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or other entities under Epic Games' control at any time and at Apple's sole discretion." In light of Epic's past and ongoing behavior, Apple chose to exercise that right."

Epic should just 'loan', donate or fund a proxy startup with enough money to create a legally disconnected store and put their stuff on that after it launches.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

The entire business model of Windows was that it was an open platform. (That doesn't mean open source, by the way. Don't misunderstand that.)

Apple's entire business model for iPhones was that it was a closed platform.

Microsoft COULD have released Windows in a locked-down environment and charged developers to create on its platform. It chose not to. Apple, by contrast, chose to release iOS in a locked-down environment and charge developers to create on its platform.

MarkMe2525

PC has always been an open platform. iOS never has been. Why don’t PS and Xbox offer alternative stores? It’s their hardware and their ecosystem. Apple is the same way.
PS and xbox are not general purpose computers. The whataboutism is not a very productive stance to take. I'm sure Bell Company had similar argument back when regulatory agencies forced them to split due to their control over a new vital asset, the telephone network.

Apples isn't some boutique tech startup, they are a titan of industry and their products through smart design and marketing has become akin to 21st century utility. When you get this big and powerful, you have obligations to society and the rest of the industry. Let's consider that they are rich from our money and desirable because of the apps that 3rd party developers build. No one gets an iPhone for the email client or calculator (iMessage is the most desirable application that they build), they want an iPhone (or any smartphone) for the 3rd party apps.

Last edited:
Not really windows and Ms dos has always been third party software.

The entire business model of Windows was that it was an open platform. (That doesn't mean open source, by the way. Don't misunderstand that.)

Apple's entire business model for iPhones was that it was a closed platform.

Microsoft COULD have released Windows in a locked-down environment and charged developers to create on its platform. It chose not to. Apple, by contrast, chose to release iOS in a locked-down environment and charge developers to create on its platform.

From a practical perspective, when you think about what led to the U.S. government suing Microsoft in the 90s - Microsoft forcing everyone to use Internet Explorer on Windows/Killing of Netscape - its eerily similar to what Apple is doing today with its app store. But Microsoft lost, had to open up Windows, and the world is better because of it. Back then, Microsoft was also extremely popular with the general public and the gov suing them was not popular. It had to be done.

BlackTron

PS and xbox are not general purpose computers. The whataboutism is not a very productive stance to take. I'm sure Bell Company had similar argument back when regulatory agencies forced them to split due to their control over a new vital asset, the telephone network.

Apples isn't some boutique tech startup, they are a titan of industry and their products through smart design and marketing has become akin to 21st century utility. When you get this big and powerful, you have obligations to society and the rest of the industry. Let's consider that they are rich from our money and desirable because of the apps that 3rd party developers build. No one gets an iPhone for the email client or calculator (iMessage is the most desirable application that they build), they want an iPhone (or any smartphone) for the 3rd party apps.

If Apple is a walled garden, then it's not really a general purpose computer. It's a walled garden. Many people bought Apple exactly because they wanted the walled garden. If you don't want it, there's no conflict. You can just get a different phone. Bell Co had control of a critical infrastructure; Apple doesn't. You can ignore Apple in every way and still use a smartphone to access the Internet, make calls and download apps.

The only thing they have a monopoly over is the store on their own device. You aren't forced to deal with that store, lest you abstain from the vital telephone network/greater Internet. You can just use a different phone -a problem that does not require the government to fix.

You created this thread and posted this comment without actually reading the letter from Apple posted at the URL you provide?

I like how Epic left out the Apple's actual reason in this "open letter".

Here is a TLDR for everyone:
Epic admitted they have deliberately broken Apple TOS previously.
Epic has stated they will deliberately break Apple's TOS again.
Epic has repeatedly disparaged Apple's new terms.
Apple presumes Epic will yet again break their TOS.
Apple terminates Epic account presuming it is not in good faith.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If Apple is a walled garden, then it's not really a general purpose computer.
Can you keep a straight face while typing this. Those two terms are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: I'll expand, when your wall extends to encompass every activity one typically does with a general purpose computer, it is a general purpose computer. In fact, the only thing you can't do on iOS is buy software from another store.

Last edited:

DrCheese

I'm pretty shocked to see so many siding with Apple on this. Not that Epic are exactly "the good guys", but this seems like complete BS on Apple's part.
Yes - They're being a bunch of pricks & they will end up getting a massive slapdown at some point. Their blatantly malicious compliance attempt at following the DMA will backfire on them.

It's not just Epic they're dicks to, they abuse their position to smack up Spotify as well
They undercut Spotify by not applying the same rules to themselves & use their baked-in access to push their own competing product. Something MS got heavily beaten for back in the 90s over the whole Netscape thing.

Apple's response to being fined by the EU was to come out with the most cope blogpost ever, crying that Spotify should shutup as Apple provides the API for them to exist on iPhone in the first place.
Completely ignoring that without apps, the iPhone would have never taken off like it did, so it's not like Apple get nothing from developers making apps. Imagine if Microsoft complained about not getting cash for every API call an app like Chrome used.

Apple do absolutely need bringing down a peg or two, because they've become a modern-day version of Microsoft in the 90s

Last edited:

BlackTron

From a practical perspective, when you think about what led to the U.S. government suing Microsoft in the 90s - Microsoft forcing everyone to use Internet Explorer on Windows/Killing of Netscape - its eerily similar to what Apple is doing today with its app store. But Microsoft lost, had to open up Windows, and the world is better because of it. Back then, Microsoft was also extremely popular with the general public and the gov suing them was not popular. It had to be done.

Can you explain what is so eerily similar about it? The issues with Netscape were that 1) Windows had completely dominated OS choice and 2) they were bundling IE in "for free" to kill software competition.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly, so it would be hard for them to use their weight as one to force anything. For example, Apple could not use their grand status as maker of iPhones to attempt to create a similar monopoly of smartphone web browsers because before even talking about their own platform they would need to somehow get everyone using Chrome with Android to use Safari instead.

BlackTron

Can you keep a straight face while typing this. Those two terms are not mutually exclusive.

OK, I need to more carefully define "general purpose computer" and maybe I didn't quite hit the mark. In my mind, "general purpose" just means does everything no matter how the hell I want it to. It runs code that's it. Maybe a more accurate general, not personal definition would be a computer that has the capability to check email, pays bills, plays videos, etc.

I agree that, in the latter definition, the terms are not mutually exclusive. But the overall point of my post stands.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The legal battle between the two companies began in 2020, after Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store on the iPhone due to Epic introducing a direct payment option in the app for the in-game currency V-Bucks, in defiance of the App Store rules. In what appears to have been an orchestrated move, Epic promptly filed a lawsuit against Apple, accusing the company of anti-competitive behavior.
Just based on the paragraph I posted above from the link, if I was Apple I'd terminate them too. if any countries have laws saying you cant do that anymore, thats fine. But at first glance, I'd ditch them too.

Just imagine if you were a store, distributor or reseller and one of your supplier's packaging on shelf or the product's online page on your site says buy direct. And here's a link to go to it too. If that company wants to sell direct, most suppliers wont care, but you got to be discrete about it and not conflict with the resellers you are in business with.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You created this thread and posted this comment without actually reading the letter from Apple posted at the URL you provide?

I like how Epic left out the Apple's actual reason in this "open letter".

Here is a TLDR for everyone:
Epic admitted they have deliberately broken Apple TOS previously.
Epic has stated they will deliberately break Apple's TOS again.
Epic has repeatedly disparaged Apple's new terms.
Apple presumes Epic will yet again break their TOS.
Apple terminates Epic account presuming it is not in good faith.
I’m agreeing with Epic here. As a European Apple had done less than the bare minimum to comply with the European legal ruling relative to competition law. It’s been pretty shameful stuff and I hope the E.U. comes down on Apple very hard So in that respect I agree with Epic.

DrCheese

Can you explain what is so eerily similar about it? The issues with Netscape were that 1) Windows had completely dominated OS choice and 2) they were bundling IE in "for free" to kill software competition.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly, so it would be hard for them to use their weight as one to force anything. For example, Apple could not use their grand status as maker of iPhones to attempt to create a similar monopoly of smartphone web browsers because before even talking about their own platform they would need to somehow get everyone using Chrome with Android to use Safari instead.

They have a monopoly on iOS, which is a huge enough market to count. They hold Spotify to rules they don't hold themselves to (30% cut & abusing system-level push notifications, as well as forcing them to jump through hoops)

They use their position to muscle out fair competition.
Tile is another example of a competing product they did this with. Overnight they turned every iOS/Mac device into an "airtag" locator for their own tag location setup, but denied Tile the same access.
They refuse other vendors access to the NFC feature in iOS & stop anyone being able to compete with ApplePay on a level playing field.

If you have faith in your own product, then you shouldn't need to be so blatantly anti competitive, as people will pick it on it's own merits.

Last edited:

Apple, by taking a meaningful cut of all app store sales, is limiting the margins of software companies that could potentially make a compelling software product on iOS but would not get investor dollars because the profit isn't there. Apple reducing their cut could compel potential investors to go ahead with the project. It was hard for companies to get capital in the 90s if they were planning to directly compete against Microsoft. In my opinion, Apple's stranglehold on the App Store sales is a deterrent to capitalism.

At worst, Apple has a duopoly with Google similar to Boeing/Airbus which are some of the most regulated companies in the world. And Apple/Google are not exactly "competition" - Google pays Apple $18 billion every year to be the default search in Safari for iOS. Google is fine with being a monopoly on search, while Apple gets to keep 90% of all smartphone profits industry wide.

No one is buying an iPhone for it being a "walled garden", most people don't even know they're going into that style of an ecosystem nor know the term. They bought it because they wanted a computer in their hands and it was shocking to many in earlier iterations of the iPhone when their general purpose mobile computer couldn't do basic things which made jailbreaking popular. iOS is better today because of the jailbreaks, apple ended up implementing many basic jailbreak features in their iOS updates. We still consider these devices as simple "phones" when in reality they go head to head in computing power with basic PCs today and have taken more attention/eyeballs of an average person than any device before. These devices are more impactful in daily life than any general purpose computing device could ever hope to be.

nordique

Meh.

Love them or hate them or anywhere in between, It’s apples platform and epic knew what they were doing when they violated contractual agreements in 2020. Epic did this to themselves and had a chance to comply with new EU regulations and *still* gave Apple the legal speak for sure we intend to comply but really probably won’t

plenty of better ways to play epic store games than via iOS anyways.

Long way since their games back in the iPhone 4 days. That relationship seems permanently damaged now

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Violin Player GIF

reinking

Gold Member
Wait good for Apple removing a 3rd party developer over a tweet? Yaaaaa good for Apple, fuckin retarded.
It's not over the tweet specifically but that tweet is an example of how Epic may not be acting in good faith. This is over the past breach and continued public statements that make Apple not trust Tim with "just trust me bro." I think most sensible people agree that actions have consequences and Epic has not only proved that they would breach Apple agreements in the past, but one in which they admittedly did it for financial gain and to purposely circumvent it. When asked for more proof that they would comply Epic failed to provide more assurances. "Fuckin retarded" is being so against one company or for another that you are willing to dismiss previous actions that relate to the issue at hand. Epic needs to provide assurances and play like an adult and not give Apple the ammo they need to deny the developers account.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
F Apple Im not getting another iPhone or Idevices. They lock down all the good stuff and we never get features or apps that we want. Epic isn't in the right toasty but this and apples circumventing the EU laws about the App Store to punish people more, it's time for APPLE to get a reality check.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Most people don't play their games on Apple devices and companies will still use their engine on games made for Apple hardware.
Fortnite mobile has generated over $1b for Epic.

Last edited:
Apple invented the so called "app" on phones. It's their O/S and if you don't want to play by their rules then don't try to develop for it. Simple

Top Bottom