• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

celebi23

ip4main.jpg

(The "correct" to hold the iPhone 4 :lol )

Figured this deserved a seperate topic (probably would get lost in the iPhone 4 OT) to keep all of the information about the press conference. So, various tech blog sites are reporting that apple will be hosting a press conference this Friday to talk about the iPhone 4 problems. (Oh & those thinking that I'm a secret windows fanboy, just look at my avatar :lol Apple royally screwed up & should come clean)

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday (Engadget)
Headline says it all folks. Obviously the company is going to be getting out in front of this antenna drama (finally). We've been invited and we'll be there, presumably reporting live! It all happens at 10AM PT, Friday the 16th.

Apple to hold special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday (The Loop)
Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California.

Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.

Of course, the iPhone 4 has been accused of having poor reception by many users that got the device in the last couple of weeks.

Apple to Hold iPhone 4 Press Conference Friday (All Things D)
Looks like Apple (AAPL) has finally decided to get out in front of the iPhone 4 antenna controversy.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the company said it will hold a press conference this Friday (July 16) at its Cupertino headquarters. Its topic: the iPhone 4.

Apple offered no further details beyond that, but given the events of the past few weeks, it’s likely we’ll be hearing quite a bit more about the iPhone’s reported reception problems and Apple’s plans to address them.

I’ll be there live to cover the event at 10 a.m. PT on Friday, July 16.

Apple Calls A Special Press Conference For Friday, Antenna Issue Likely The Subject (TechCrunch)

Word is breaking that Apple is calling a special press conference on this coming Friday to talk about the iPhone 4. Yes, you can probably guess what this is about.

Apple blog The Loop has the (basically non-existent) details right now — that it will be in California on Friday morning and about iPhone 4. A small group of press are reportedly getting the invites right now. Update: We just got the call, we’ll be there at 10 AM PT on Friday to cover it live.

The big question that everyone must be wondering is if Apple will announce a recall of the iPhone 4 based on the antenna problems — which are very real. We still believe that’s pretty unlikely. That said, it’s very, very, very rare (in fact, I don’t think it has ever happened) that Apple would call a special press conference at the last second. If they didn’t have something very major to say, they’d much more likely issue a release.

But with all the talk and speculation flying around out there, perhaps Apple (and CEO Steve Jobs in particular) just wants to sit people down to talk about the issue. Apple has been widely criticized for saying basically nothing about the issue beyond Jobs’ quotes that users should buy a case or hold the phone different.

Apple released the first beta of the iOS 4.1 software today. As our sister site MobileCrunch noted, it does not fix the antenna issue. Instead, it simply does what Apple said it was going to do: make the signal strength indicator more accurate.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference Friday (Macworld)
On Wednesday afternoon Apple invited several journalists, including one from Macworld, to its Cupertino campus on Friday for a "press conference about iPhone 4." Presumably the company will use the event to publicly address all the controversy swirling around this product, most notably reports of antenna interference issues.

Discussion of iPhone 4 reception issues kicked into a higher gear this week with Consumer Reports withdrawing its endorsement of the product, despite otherwise higher ratings. On July 2, Apple released a statement on its web site blaming a faulty algorithm for misleading users about signal strength and promising a software fix. However, that statement didn't directly address issues of serious signal loss occurring when some users held the phone along its lower left corner, an effect we noted in our review of the iPhone 4. Our colleagues at PCWorld saw similar results, while also noting the iPhone 4's improved upload and download speeds. And some experts have characterized the issue as more of a molehill than a mountain.

The antenna issue aside, other users have complained about a malfunctioning proximity sensor that terminates calls when a cheek makes contact with the End Call button as they hold the phone to their face.

We'll be there to cover the event at 10 a.m. Pacific time on Friday, July 16.

Liveblog: Apple iPhone 4 Press Conference (Ars Technica)

Apple has decided to hold a short-notice press conference to discuss the iPhone 4, which most people believe will address the uproar over iPhone 4 antenna issues. Whether that will actually be the case remains to be seen, but we will be there to find out. The event begins at 10am PDT/1pm EDT (see it in your own timezone).

Will Steve Jobs issue a recall, or merely teach the press how to hold the phone properly? Sign up below to receive an e-mail alert when we go live or simply bookmark this page and come back on Friday morning when the conference begins.

The other shoe drops. TWiT will cover it live. (Leo Laport Google Buzz)

http://live.twit.tv/

Join us tomorrow: Apple's iPhone 4 Press Conference (TUAW)
Please join us tomorrow at 10AM Pacific (1PM Eastern) for a live TUAW blogging event as Apple addresses the press over its controversial iPhone 4 device. CEO Steve Jobs is expected to lead the event.

The question on everyone's mind is, of course, will Apple be holding the event in the right place? Your guess is as good as ours. As the reception from the press might turn out to be a little cheeky in the proximity of such a big announcement, expect a bumper crop of interest from Apple enthusiasts. You can signal your interest by signing up for an e-mail reminder of the event from CoverItLive.

What: Apple iPhone 4 Press Event
Where: Here on TUAW! Except in the bottom-left-hand corner of the site.
When: 10AM Pacific, 1PM Eastern

Other Liveblogs:
Engadget
Gizmodo

Mashable has a great article on what Apple needs to do.
  • Acknowledge That the Antenna Problem Is Real
  • Go into the Technical Details
  • Roll Out the Software Update
  • Make the Bumpers Free
  • No Matter What, Don’t Issue an iPhone 4 Recall
Let’s play out the scenario. Apple performs a recall of its devices. Millions of people are annoyed as they either have to give up their device or keep a clearly defective one. Apple, already at peak production capacity, would take weeks — if not months — to replace the phones. Estimates place the cost of a recall in the billions.

Here’s the truth: The iPhone 4 antenna issue isn’t a hazardous one. It isn’t exploding in people’s hands, it isn’t cutting anyone’s palms randomly, and it isn’t suddenly bursting into flames. Those are critical issues that would require a recall.

The antenna issue, while important and a problem that Apple should have found and addressed before the product’s launch last month, doesn’t rise to that level. Recalls are meant only as a last resort.

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Microsoft COO Knows a Lemon When He Sees One (Gizmodo)

The Woz Experienced Reception Woes With His iPhone 4, Too (TechCrunch)

Apple Engineer Told Jobs IPhone Antenna Might Cut Calls (Bloomberg)

Oh, this is going to be GOOD! (Macenstein)

4375000e3b4fdadfdfa1a7b25189a4e2.jpg

2u8coqt.jpg

Jobs and Gates on iPhone 4? (9 to 5 Mac)

tumblr_l53qazDawx1qcwsmho1_500.gif
iykm81.png

AndHereWeGo.gif
Jackson_popcorn.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Should be interesting to see what happens. The Australian release is meant to be at the end of this month, I have to wonder if it will be delayed now.

Also i can see the idea of a free bumper would piss off all the 3rd party manufactures who make covers.

nib95

Banned
I want them to do a recall. I want a antenna design flaw free iPhone 4. It would pretty much be a near perfect phone then. That and fixing the appalling sensor issue which causes more dropped calls (on top of the antenna design) than I care to recollect.

Where was the QA with this device? I mean...seriously...

GhaleonEB

Engadget said:
Obviously the company is going to be getting out in front of this antenna drama (finally).
If you're so late in addressing something ("finally"), how is that "getting out in front" of it? Isn't this more, coming up on it from behind?

SA-X

Just ordered one a couple days ago that should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

It will be nice to activate it only to go online with it and read that it has been recalled. :lol

Noshino

polyh3dron said:
Oh dear.

I can't wait for the awkward denial in the presser, Apple hates owning up to design mistakes.

Psh, I can't wait to see the reaction of the Apple fans, those are even more hardheaded and often see Apple (and Jobs) as unable to make mistakes

It will be great! :lol

Dastardly Jerks said:
WOOOOOOOW.

my Vista experience was fine on the consumer level. Even Microsoft executives thought it was bad? hmph. after Vista SP1, I haven't seen a blue screen o death. it's been some years.

B.K. said:
iPhone 5 released tomorrow with a new antenna design and a $25 rebate for people that bought iPhone 4!
:lol. Apple wouldn't do that. remember the iPhone 1 launch? 2 months later, they gave everyone $200-$300 credits.

if Apple's gonna do it, they'll do it right.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just saw a reception joke on a new Tosh.0 :lol

Tangent: The episode had the WoW kid who stuck the remote up his butt. I'm jealous, he got to hang out with Michael Winslow. They had a skit where he was dressed up ad a Cop making sound effects.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dreams-Visions said:
WOOOOOOOW.

my Vista experience was fine on the consumer level. Even Microsoft executives thought it was bad? hmph. after Vista SP1, I haven't seen a blue screen o death. it's been some years.

:lol. Apple wouldn't do that. remember the iPhone 1 launch? 2 months later, they gave everyone $200-$300 credits.

if Apple's gonna do it, they'll do it right.
I think he's more talking about the PR disaster that Vista was.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess if we start now, we'll have enough popcorn popped by then. You have to admit, the iPhone 4 has been pretty damn entertaining. The early leak drama was exciting enough, but now this.

Future

Whats too bad is that it is pretty much the best smartphone ever made otherwise :lol.

Apples hand was forced, and for good reason. The real hilarity comes from people in these type of friends (not just on this forum, but everywhere) defending till the cows come home. "Doesnt happen to me. Everyone is exaggerating. Everyone else is WRONG." Right.

Now the question is what they are going to do. With so much press about it, they cant really downplay the issue anymore and pretend its minimal. Recall is out of the question of course. Free case or credit maybe?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A company is so self-important that it's holding a press conference as if a faulty phone were an international crisis.

Dastardly Jerks said:

Microsoft shouldn't be making dumb statements like these because there's a good chance that Windows Mobile 7 might look like Windows ME. It's too bold of a statement when it can easily look stupid on their part after WM7 is released.

wmat said:
I think he's more talking about the PR disaster that Vista was.
has he been there for a few years? I had dinner with a bunch of their execs on the Redmond campus back in '05. nice people and everyone was pretty cool. then again, who isn't nice over dinner.

I'll have to check my business card holder.

Zinga

Banned
If it isn't a recall Apple customers are being screwed over, especially considering that they pay a huge premium for devices that aren't any better (and in many cases worse) than the competition.

StuBurns

Banned
celebi23 said:
Am I missing any more "classic" gifs for this situation? :lol It really is unfortunate. The iPhone 4 is pretty amazing. Really unbelievable that this problem didn't show up during testing/FCC certification :lol
I like the Job/Gates pic, maybe someone will post it.

Zinga said:
a huge premium for devices that aren't any better (and in many cases worse) than the competition.
No, OS X is godly.

Dragon

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
A company is so self-important that it's holding a press conference as if a faulty phone were an international crisis.

As opposed to the athlete that had a one hour special on ESPN about where he was going to sign as a free agent....I'd say this has far more impact in my life :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TheBranca18 said:
As opposed to the athlete that had a one hour special on ESPN about where he was going to sign as a free agent....I'd say this has far more impact in my life :)

But but but MIAMI

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
celebi23 said:
Am I missing any more "classic" gifs for this situation? :lol It really is unfortunate. The iPhone 4 is pretty amazing. Really unbelievable that this problem didn't show up during testing/FCC certification :lol

Just one that I can think of. If something "boggling" goes down, the R Kelly gif is a must.

b108760184.gif

^ damn. Vista was ballin.

Zinga said:
If it isn't a recall Apple customers are being screwed over, especially considering that they pay a huge premium...
a "huge premium" is $199-$299 now? that's the subsidized cost of a typical Android phone.

Zinga said:
... that aren't any better (and in many cases worse) than the competition.[/B]
unless, of course, we're discussing battery life, screen resolution, fps, multimedia integration, games available, or quality of top apps. :D

iPhone does all of those things better (or significantly better) than their competition.

just saying. be fair.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If they did a recall, then refurbished the units for future replacements, would they take a huge hit?

Seems like they would have had to replace at least a few million units of all the previous generations with new units before making their first batch of refurbs to send out.

Tobor

Marty Chinn said:
Microsoft shouldn't be making dumb statements like these because there's a good chance that Windows Mobile 7 might look like Windows ME. It's too bold of a statement when it can easily look stupid on their part after WM7 is released.
Not to mention they just belly flopped an entire line of phones. :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dreams-Visions said:
has he been there for a few years? I had dinner with a bunch of their execs on the Redmond campus back in '05. nice people and everyone was pretty cool. then again, who isn't nice over dinner.

I'll have to check my business card holder.
He's been there since '05, actually. Edit: Whoops, he's been CEO since '05. Misread stuff.

28wla2v.png

monchi-kun said:
Does he realize this actually makes Microsoft look worse?
It makes them look equal--which, since Apple PR [used to] hinge on making them look like shining diamonds next to a lumpy turd named Microsoft, is a big deal.

numble

Zinga said:
If it isn't a recall Apple customers are being screwed over, especially considering that they pay a huge premium for devices that aren't any better (and in many cases worse) than the competition.
They are all around the same price. iPhone 4 = $599, Nexus One = $529, Droid = $559, Droid Incredible = $529.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom