• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobor said:
Not to mention they just belly flopped an entire line of phones. :lol

Heh ya, the Kin was such a debacle. You could see that coming from a mile away when they announced it after WM7 was unveiled.

sestrugen

35knxx0.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
I really wonder how this is going to go down... Is this going to be an apology? A recall? Free phones to those who bought an iPhone 4 already? What are they going to do to 'repent' for this gross miscalculation and then even gross-er dismissal after it was identified as a problem... Will Steve admit he was wrong? Will the resident GAF Apple defenders admit being wrong?

Hopefully friday brings all sorts of answers...

celebi23

Found the Job/Gates pic :lol I think the OP is all set. I honestly didn't think I'd be making another Apple topic this year :lol

dakilla13

StuBurns said:
No, OS X is godly.

:lol I guess to each their own....... and I've used a Macbook Pro for the last 3 years.

Apple better give out free bumpers or something. I like my iPhone 4 but man does it drop calls. Yes I am holding it wrong according to Jobs.

StuBurns

Banned
celebi23 said:
Found the Job/Gates pic :lol I think the OP is all set. I honestly didn't think I'd be making another Apple topic this year :lol
Not the one I meant, but good still.

dakilla13 said:
:lol I guess to each their own....... and I've used a Macbook Pro for the last 3 years.
If you don't like it, think it's over priced, can I recommend getting an alternative product and OS?

LCfiner

Hey, can we please take the Mac vs windows shit to another thread? It's completely silly here.

Man, this presser is gonna be so fucking awkward. I'm really looking forward to it. Are they gonna give away free bumpers? Are they gonna do some I'll conceived live demo to show how the new antenna is "better"? Are they gonna redesign the antenna junction point on the band and give out replacements for those who want them?

Is Jobs gonna be at this one or will one of the lower level marketing VPs get the honor?

So many questions.

gcubed said:
They are going to talk about the new ios release and how it's going to fix it
that would be disappointing re: the antenna issue, since we know that needs a hardware change of some kind (like antenna coating). the iOS update should hopefully take care of the proximity sensor issue.

cnizzle06

Banned
My prediction:

International Release Date
White iPhone Release Date
Customer Testimonials Refuting the Defect
and one more thing...10 DOLLARS OFF THE APPLE BUMPER FOR IPHONE 4 OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

projekt84

cnizzle06 said:
My prediction:
...10 DOLLARS OFF THE APPLE BUMPER FOR IPHONE 4 OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is it free with the 10 bucks off? Jesus how much does the bumper thing cost?

*edit*

30 bucks! Wow.

projekt84 said:
So is it free with the 10 bucks off? Jesus how much does the bumper thing cost?

*edit*

30 bucks! Wow.
"wow" is the first stage.

then comes bewilderment.

then anger and frustration.

then acceptance.

then you buy.

...and you just got Apple'd, son!

StuBurns

Banned
I bought the bumper, not got here yet, but I do think it's too expensive really. I doubt I'll use it, but we'll see.

Resilient

International release date
Antenna fix (recall)
White iPhone release date, which will not have antenna problem

Hopefully, lol.

SimleuqiR

cnizzle06 said:
My prediction:

International Release Date
White iPhone Release Date
Customer Testimonials Refuting the Defect
and one more thing...10 DOLLARS OFF THE APPLE BUMPER FOR IPHONE 4 OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sounds so plausible, it's no joke.

LCfiner

DECK'ARD said:
Friday will be fun.

It's like a bonus Apple Event :D
Yeah, I go into withdrawals if I don't have an apple event every couple months.

JUST SHOW ME SOME NEW APPLE BRANDED PAPERWEIGHT, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!

I can only imagine the backlash if this event only talks about the delayed international release and the "unprecedented success" of the iPhone 4 launch. It would be incredible to watch.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gallbaro said:
Ctrl + F Rubxqub
Ctrl + F Garry Whitta

Threads not fun yet.
Maybe they're really content with the hardware.

But they'll hit that conference hard just like all the other geeks, no doubt.

And if there's a recall, well.. Shit will go down.

NomarTyme

dakilla13 said:

Apple better give out free bumpers or something. I like my iPhone 4 but man does it drop calls. Yes I am holding it wrong according to Jobs.
Are you sure it wasn't because of At&t coverage?

freitax

wmat said:
How could people buy the hardware right at release anyway? Who does that?

People who assume that a product for sale actually works? What kind of question is that?:lol
Or am I holding my sarcasm detector wrong?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
freitax said:
People who assume that a product for sale actually works? What kind of question is that?:lol
Well, any reasonable buyer with limited funds holds back until reviews are in. That's how I operate at least. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot with most hitech shit.

See X360 debacle, for example.

wmat said:
Well, any reasonable buyer with limited funds holds back until reviews are in. That's how I operate at least. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot with most hitech shit.

the reviews came in. reviewers did bust nuts.

Apple will just state that there is no problem with the iPhone 4 but they will give away free bumpers to anyone that complains.
people in the audience will give Apple a standing ovation, whistle uncontrollably, hug each other, shed a tear and blog about how awesome Apple is. imo

LCfiner

wmat said:

Well.....

1. Reviews were in. They were good.

2. Not everyone who bought one had limited funds.

3. America is the land of "buy now, pay later" for those who had limited funds, anyway (that says more about our culture than the product, though)

4. 199 isn't so expensive as to require a lot of hemming and hawing by most gainfully employed people to decide to buy one or not.

wmat said:

Well in the case of the 360 the hardware failure issue didn't become apparent until some time after launch, and all the reviews were in. If you wanted to wait for the hardware problems with the 360 to be fixed before buying one you'd have been holding out for, what, the new one that just came out five years after launch?

Someone post that Oatmeal Apple comic.

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to this Friday, and hoping that Apple announces some sort of plan of attack. I love my phone but fuck does the damn thing drop calls. If it can't serve its primary function, the thing is a failure in my book.

Raistlin

They better 'get in front of' the proximity sensor issue as well. Even if it isn't part of their initial speech, the attendees better make it part of the discussion.

Dreams-Visions said:
WOOOOOOOW.

my Vista experience was fine on the consumer level. Even Microsoft executives thought it was bad? hmph. after Vista SP1, I haven't seen a blue screen o death. it's been some years.

I suspect he's implying that even if the issues are resolved, it's a PR mess that will stay with the phone forever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SimleuqiR said:
That sounds so plausible, it's no joke.

In fact, I almost expect the "And now... the bumper is 20 dollars!" thing to be the show stopper and the entire audience will explode in cheers and applause.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gary Whitta said:
:lol at anyone who thinks there will be a recall
Voluntary recall wouldn't be out of the question. I've seen many of those for malfunctioning electronic devices that didn't endanger the user in any way.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gary Whitta said:
Well in the case of the 360 the hardware failure issue didn't become apparent until some time after launch, and all the reviews were in. If you wanted to wait for the hardware problems with the 360 to be fixed before buying one you'd have been holding out for, what, the new one that just came out five years after launch?
2 months until the issues became apparent, NO-BUY then, 3-years warranty gets declared like 2 years later.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
freitax said:
Assuming an electronically/mechanically complex device like this is guaranteed to work well when it's first released is just stupid. Smartphones, videogame systems, cars.....you name it. You never know what may be wrong with it. Always a good idea to wait for the camping-outside-the-store-the-night-before tards to deal with any kinks that need to be worked out, or at least wait for reports like this so you make a more informed decision. That's just being a smart consumer.

This iPhone4 bullshit is the very reason I'm never a first-day buyer on stuff like this. And I'm not just talking about the reception problem, but that sensor issue as well. That almost sounds worse.

And I continue to laugh at the attempts by people who are clearly apple fanboys to rationalize that not being able to hold your cell phone any way in which you're not touching that corner of the phone is acceptable or normal. What are you supposed to do, hold it with your fingertips the entire time without letting it rest in your hand? Spend 30 minutes on a call in which you lose yourself in the conversation yet remain conscious of how you're holding the phone 100% of the time? For Apple to respond with that to this engineering screwup is ridiculous. No one should have to pay $30 to be able to hold their cellphone comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom