• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
LCfiner said:
Well.....

1. Reviews were in. They were good.
I read about the antenna issue like 3 days after release or so?
4. 199 isn't so expensive as to require a lot of hemming and hawing by most gainfully employed people to decide to buy one or not.
That is of course a fair argument.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Well in the case of the 360 the hardware failure issue didn't become apparent until some time after launch, and all the reviews were in. If you wanted to wait for the hardware problems with the 360 to be fixed before buying one you'd have been holding out for, what, the new one that just came out five years after launch?
Thats what I did.

LCfiner

wmat said:
I read about the antenna issue like 3 days after release or so?

That is of course a fair argument.
Those early reports of the problems weren't part of reviews. No one knew what was going on with that at first.

Reviews from the new York times, wall street journal, engadget, etc were all glowing and none had encountered the problem. They had each used the phone for about a week before posting.

So it was a green light for most people considering an iPhone. Those sites are considered trustworthy so there was no obvious reason to hold out, waiting for technical problems to show up.

It was a couple weeks after launch that it became clear what the problem was and how it could be reproduced.

Evander

"industry expert"
I hold that they hold the press conference properly, you know, just with their fingertips, and keeping the corner out of the palm of their hand.

This is so ridiculously overblown. I have to try like hell to make my phone lose reception. I just do not believe that this is a problem out in the wild. It's a fun thing to make people go lol iphone antenna, just like lol xbox rrod.

thechristoph said:
This is so ridiculously overblown. I have to try like hell to make my phone lose reception. I just do not believe that this is a problem out in the wild. It's a fun thing to make people go lol iphone antenna, just like lol xbox rrod.

So all the videos are fake? Consumer Reports lied?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
LCfiner said:
Those early reports of the problems weren't part of reviews. No one knew what was going on with that at first.
Okay, I shouldn't have said reviews, but rather user impressions. I value net impressions much higher than professional reviews myself, so I take my time to commit to a product.

It was a couple weeks after launch that it became clear what the problem was and how it could be reproduced.
So it's fair to say that waiting a couple of weeks would have made sense in retrospect.

I'm not trying to diss early adopters here, if you can afford that, hell, go ahead. I mean, I didn't expect any issue, and had I had the disposable income (and the local release date) to get one at launch, I probably would have went there just like anyone else.

The point still is though that it makes sense to wait a couple of weeks until the devices have been used thoroughly in the field until a statistically reliable impressions-based judgment call can be made to commit or not commit to a purchase.

And that is true for any faulty product that's been released ever. Except maybe for the ICE's steel tires or the spontaneously combusting Fords.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
demon said:
Assuming an electronically/mechanically complex device like this is guaranteed to work well when it's first released is just stupid. Smartphones, videogame systems, cars.....you name it. You never know what may be wrong with it. Always a good idea to wait for the camping-outside-the-store-the-night-before tards to deal with any kinks that need to be worked out, or at least wait for reports like this so you make a more informed decision. That's just being a smart consumer.
Ya, let's just not hold companies accountable (and to a higher standard) for when they fuck up like this because hey, we should have known better right?

XMonkey said:
Ya, let's just not hold companies accountable (and to a higher standard) for when they fuck up like this because hey, we should have known better right?

Well I think to some degree he has a point. I think for new first time products, it might be wise to wait to see what kinks and quirks there are since it's new. However, for revisions, I don't think that's the case. That said, this is the 4th iPhone, not the first one so I would hope by now that Apple has the experience and wouldn't mess this up. This is more of a revision than a first time brand new product to me. If you want to go by revision, say like on a console system, how would you know when to buy since not every revision is apparent? The PS2 had like 15 revisions to the electronics inside.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
XMonkey said:
Oh, as a customer, you must hold Apple accountable here. Because you are entitled to a fully operational product.

Raistlin

LCfiner said:

you mean days?

thechristoph said:

I love this attitude.

It's doesn't affect me, or at least not greatly, therefore it can't possibly be a problem for anyone else. Grow the fuck up.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Marty Chinn said:
Well I think to some degree he has a point. I think for new first time products, it might be wise to wait to see what kinks and quirks there are since it's new. However, for revisions, I don't think that's the case. That said, this is the 4th iPhone, not the first one so I would hope by now that Apple has the experience and wouldn't mess this up. This is more of a revision than a first time brand new product to me. If you want to go by revision, say like on a console system, how would you know when to buy since not every revision is apparent? The PS2 had like 15 revisions to the electronics inside.
I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say we shouldn't be surprised with faults like this. The simple fact is that something as obviously reproducible as this whole antenna thing (and to a lesser extent the proximity issues) should have easily been found with some half-assed QA work. It's a shame Apple fell so short in that area this time.

XMonkey said:
I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say we shouldn't be surprised with faults like this. The simple fact is that something as obviously reproducible as this whole antenna thing (and to a lesser extent the proximity issues) should have easily been found with some half-assed QA work. It's a shame Apple fell so short in that area this time.

Oh no, I agree with you. I'm shocked this got through and this isn't their first phone. I'm just saying I could see where he's coming from even though I don't think it applies here.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
This is what will happen on Friday.

Guys, we messed up, but we're making it up to you. Free bumper/free return in a month when we fix the problem.

OMG THIS IS WHY APPLE IS THE GREATEST EVER!

Vyer

SnowWolf said:
This is what will happen on Friday.

Guys, we messed up, but we're making it up to you. Free bumper/free return in a month when we fix the problem.

OMG THIS IS WHY APPLE IS THE GREATEST EVER!
Trying to cover all your bases early?

i would be totally happy with a free bumper, seeing as i wanted to buy one anyway but have been holding out. a total recall would be an insane overreaction.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just hope that no matter what they do people don't forget this and it doesn't just get swept under the rug.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Steve will get up on stage and will say...

2u8coqt.jpg

Why For? said:
What freaks me out the most?

Apple makes ONE phone a year. ONE.

And they couldn't get it right.

HTC put out MANY a year, and they still get them wrong, but anyways.

I doubt this is for a recall, this will be the news of the release of 4.1, and to tie up some loose ends

No, you can't expect a product to be flawless on first release, you should always put in research of some kind right.

Caveat emptor bitches.

Mecha_Infantry said:

I doubt this is for a recall, this will be the news of the release of 4.1, and to tie up some loose ends
and that's not enough.

they don't need press conferences for small OS updates, and early indications are that this does nothing to solve the "big news" problem. by Friday, them saying something opposite of what their developers will already know will be suicide.

this will be a meaningful event, whether Apple apologists want it to be or not.

Wormdundee said:
No, you can't expect a product to be flawless on first release, you should always put in research of some kind right.

Caveat emptor bitches.
I think you meant to say, "30-day return policy FTW". for some of us, anyway.

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:

that doesn't warrant a press conference.

this will be about the antenna issue. they must feel a need to control the conversation now that it's spread to mainstream news.

there won't be a recall, but there will be some action beyond just an announcement of the new software update showing you fewer bars.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wormdundee said:

Caveat emptor bitches.
It's funny to see recent Apple converts being so shocked about Apple's Rev. A issues.

N no, the press conference will not just be about 4.1, but about the situation and how 4.1 will fix the issue. It's a press event, I doubt they'll put themselves out for slaughter infront of the media by saying they'll recall it.

It'll be suicide by media!

Marty Chinn said:
Isn't this Rev. D?

Nice try, but no, it's Rev.A. It's a new phone

numble

Marty Chinn said:
Wouldn't that be the case every year since the hardware changes with every phone release? When do we assume Rev B is out then?
That's like saying the PS3 is Rev C of the Playstation line.

numble said:
That's like saying the PS3 is Rev C of the Playstation line.

No that's not even close. If anything it's more like PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP Go. Or DS, to DS Lite, to DSi. Would you say that PSP Go and DSi are not more like Rev. C?

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
N no, the press conference will not just be about 4.1, but about the situation and how 4.1 will fix the issue. It's a press event, I doubt they'll put themselves out for slaughter infront of the media by saying they'll recall it.

It'll be suicide by media!

Nice try, but no, it's Rev.A. It's a new phone
But 4.1 absolutely does not fix the issue and they already put out the bullshit press release about miscalculating bars. Why hold a press conference about the exact same thing?

We agree that there won't be a recall but they are going to do something, whether it be some extended return period or a free bumper or whatever. Maybe they announce a design revision coming in upcoming months.

There'll be an even greater slaughter of apple in the media if they hold this event and just say what they did in the press release about iPhone bar calculations.

santouras

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm surprised that with all the posts that have been made, no one's posted something along the lines of, "Apple just shot themselves in the foot..."
dead meme is dead

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Marty Chinn said:
No that's not even close. If anything it's more like PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP Go. Or DS, to DS Lite, to DSi. Would you say that PSP Go and DSi are not more like Rev. C?
What would you call the 45nm PS3 Slim?

Rev. B :p

Hitokage said:
What would you call the 45nm PS3 Slim?

Rev. B :p

Ya, but does the iPhone go through such a similar revision since it's a yearly update? The PS3 and other consoles are meant to be a longer life cycle and have a different model. I know consoles go through multiple revisions. The PS2 went through like 16 or so.

This really is more like the DS shift in hardware or the PSP. Each of them respectively changed in hardware and form factor in many ways, especially the DSi which has more power under the hood than a normal DS. So is the DSi Rev A or Rev C?

I see the iPhone being yearly updates where they apply and build off the previous revision. I highly doubt they started from scratch every year and most certainly the OS runs across multiple phones as well as the apps. Where as the PS2 to PS3 is completely a different platform spec all together.

So the iPhone is certainly closer to my example than numble's.

numble

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, but does the iPhone go through such a similar revision since it's a yearly update? The PS3 and other consoles are meant to be a longer life cycle and have a different model. I know consoles go through multiple revisions. The PS2 went through like 16 or so.

This really is more like the DS shift in hardware or the PSP. Each of them respectively changed in hardware and form factor in many ways, especially the DSi which has more power under the hood than a normal DS. So is the DSi Rev A or Rev C?

I see the iPhone being yearly updates where they apply and build off the previous revision. I highly doubt they started from scratch every year and most certainly the OS runs across multiple phones as well as the apps. Where as the PS2 to PS3 is completely a different platform spec all together.

So the iPhone is certainly closer to my example than numble's.
They do go through hardware redesigns mid-cycle, the 3GS is still being produced with probably smaller hardware (the iPhone 4 logic board takes up less space than the original 3GS board) and those in the jailbreaking community have to occasionally keep track of which run of hardware they are getting in the same line to ensure that there is the right baseband or whatever to jailbreak.

But I really don't see how the new phone, with maybe double the processing speed of the first generation and 4 times the ram, along with an extra and better camera and gyroscopes and compasses, 3G antennas, is just being another revision. Revision in electronics is the same hardware and design, but with cost-cutting and efficiency.

numble said:
They do go through hardware redesigns mid-cycle, the 3GS is still being produced with probably smaller hardware (the iPhone 4 logic board takes up less space than the original 3GS board) and those in the jailbreaking community have to occasionally keep track of which run of hardware they are getting in the same line to ensure that there is the right baseband or whatever to jailbreak.

But I really don't see how the new phone, with maybe double the processing speed of the first generation and 4 times the ram, along with an extra and better camera and gyroscopes and compasses, 3G antennas, is just being another revision. Revision in electronics is the same hardware and design, but with cost-cutting and efficiency.

So then we're saying, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 at launch were all Rev A? With Rev B being I guess a year later now since they seem to keep the previous version as the low end version now?

You also believe that DSi is Rev A?

Asking seriously for clarification.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Even though it's a revision IMO, the revision always may need a revision.

People may say you should wait... well... people have to buy to test it out in the wild. The next step is to say a tech savvy person should know better and let the others willing. But, the iPhones have had a good track record so far. It's not wrong to have faith that the 4th generation, that's a borderline revision, would be good to go. The diffrence in hardware is less than ps2-->ps3.

Marty Chinn said:
So then we're saying, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 at launch were all Rev A? With Rev B being I guess a year later now since they seem to keep the previous version as the low end version now?

You also believe that DSi is Rev A?

Asking seriously for clarification.

Rev(ision), back in the day, always referred to internals that were transparent to the end user. Crack open an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64 and you'll see the motherboard stamped Rev. A, Rev. B, etc. but to the consumer the product had not changed. Find a release date 2600 Jr. and the moterboard will be marked Rev. A, because it was a brand new product.

This I know from cracking open lots of electronics to mod or troubleshoot shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom