• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beer Monkey said:
Rev(ision), back in the day, always referred to internals that were transparent to the end user. Crack open an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64 and you'll see the motherboard stamped Rev. A, Rev. B, etc. but to the consumer the product had not changed. Find a release date 2600 Jr. and the moterboard will be marked Rev. A, because it was a brand new product.

This I know from cracking open lots of electronics to mod or troubleshoot shit.

Fair enough, so then a DSi is considered Rev A, and Hitokage's example was incorrect under that definision as that too should be considered Rev A too right? Same with the new 360s right?

Edit, so how are we supposed to wait for Rev B if we never know when it changes as suggested? =)

numble

Marty Chinn said:
So then we're saying, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 at launch were all Rev A? With Rev B being I guess a year later now since they seem to keep the previous version as the low end version now?

You also believe that DSi is Rev A?

Asking seriously for clarification.
I'm not familiar with DS'ses so I don't know.

No, Rev B is not a year later. They do do mid-cycle updates with stuff, if I remember, there was this long ass time where certain models of 3GS'ses could not be unlocked or jailbroken, for example.

Danielsan

thechristoph said:
This is so ridiculously overblown. I have to try like hell to make my phone lose reception. I just do not believe that this is a problem out in the wild. It's a fun thing to make people go lol iphone antenna, just like lol xbox rrod.
That doesn't help your argument.
Everyone I know who bought a 360 before the Jasper edition had it die on them.
I had to send mine back twice. :lol

numble said:
I'm not familiar with DS'ses so I don't know.

No, Rev B is not a year later. They do do mid-cycle updates with stuff, if I remember, there was this long ass time where certain models of 3GS'ses could not be unlocked or jailbroken, for example.

Fair enough; I didn't realize ther was that problem with the 3GS having trouble unlocked in the mid life cycle.

I've never considered a PS3 Slim or a DSi to be Rev A, but this definition would qualify them as such which is why I had a different classification.

jambo

I think we need a Revision debate thread to keep all of that crap out of the iPhone 4 mini conference thread :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Fair enough, so then a DSi is considered Rev A, and Hitokage's example was incorrect under that definision as that too should be considered Rev A too right? Same with the new 360s right?
I personally consider it a third revision that has a Rev A. lol

santouras

Burger said:
Marty Chinn! What happened to your avatar ? It's much harder to skip past your posts now :(
Rick_james_cold_blooded.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Marty Chinn said:
Actually, I got my chips mixed up. PS3 Slim Rev. B uses a 40nm RSX chip. The original release slims did not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People actually think Apple will admit they did anything wrong? I can't really see that. I'm hoping they at the least announce they will change something in newer versions of iPhone 4. This antenna issue has kept me away from it so far.

LCfiner said:
But 4.1 absolutely does not fix the issue and they already put out the bullshit press release about miscalculating bars. Why hold a press conference about the exact same thing?

We agree that there won't be a recall but they are going to do something, whether it be some extended return period or a free bumper or whatever. Maybe they announce a design revision coming in upcoming months.

There'll be an even greater slaughter of apple in the media if they hold this event and just say what they did in the press release about iPhone bar calculations.
Yea I see what you're saying. If they announce any form of a recall I might do it for a White one

But let's wait and see!

People are still claiming this isn't a big deal?

If Apple have been forced into having a press conference (which is unheard of), it's a big fucking deal. Period.

$h@d0w

This press conference is will be about:

1) we sold a ton of iPhone 4 units
2) iPhone 4 is coming out in these other countries
3) iOS and SDK 4.1 beta is out now, it fixes the signal display issue and we're sorry

If anyone expects anything more than that you will be disappointed.

$h@d0w said:
This press conference is will be about:

1) we sold a ton of iPhone 4 units
2) iPhone 4 is coming out in these other countries
3) iOS and SDK 4.1 beta is out now, it fixes the signal display issue and we're sorry

If anyone expects anything more than that you will be disappointed.

I'm sure we should keep low expectations, but if that's what they do, that's going to make things worse, not better. It's going to reek of them being arrogant and stubborn rather than address the issue to calm the storm that's happening. It won't address or resolve the huge blow that Consumer Reports did to them since they clearly state the software fix won't fix the problem. I expect at bare minimum we get bumpers, and in the best case scenario, it really gets fixed with an exchange. But, bumpers or credit to buy a bumper has to be the case.

rezuth

Welcome all, I stood up here some weeks ago talking about our amazing new antenna design. Not only did they improve my own signal reception but they improved signal reception for these people as well.

*cue wall of quotes*

Here’s the thing, out the front of my home there is a vortex of Next G misery — every time I pull my car in front of my house for the past five years, Blackberry, Nokia, First three iPhones — the call was cut mercilessly. You could set your watch by it. Regardless of phone, on the best network in the world, my call dropped.

Enter the iPhone 4.

For the first time in four years, the call kept going
- Ed Dale

So as you see we have gotten lots of tremendously positive feedback so far. However, some people started noticing that they had some bars that would disappear all of a sudden. They told one magazine which told another and the chain was going. We at Apple think this is unfair publication and we are going to show you all why today.

*1h of bullshit*

And one last thing... Free bumpers for everyone affected by this issue.

rezuth said:

why do you think people would want a bumper? I sure as hell HATE all kinds of bumpers, It makes the phone ugly, I want it as it was designed not skin on it!

this is not how you solve a problem

twofold

rezuth said:
Welcome all, I stood up here some weeks ago talking about our amazing new antenna design. Not only did they improve my own signal reception but they improved signal reception for these people as well.

*cue wall of quotes*

So as you see we have gotten lots of tremendously positive feedback so far. However, some people started noticing that they had some bars that would disappear all of a sudden. They told one magazine which told another and the chain was going. We at Apple think this is unfair publication and we are going to show you all why today.

*1h of bullshit*

Ed Dale is one of the most irritating individuals on the face of this Earth. Eurgh.

robertsan21 said:
why do you think people would want a bumper? I sure as hell HATE all kinds of bumpers, It makes the phone ugly, I want it as it was designed not skin on it!

this is not how you solve a problem

I actually think a lot of people would be happy with that unfortunately. People seem to be easily persuaded by free stuff to forget their worries. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple thought they could buy people off with that and move on because it would probably work. I hope they go the extra step, but I wouldn't be shocked if all we got was a free bumper or a gift card to buy any case we want within a certain price range. Although, if they do that, it would almost be like admitting there is a design flaw but the won't do anything about it. That might not be a good perception in the long run even though current owners would be happy for the most part.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I have already posted what I think Apple should do. My only prediction is that there will absolutely be no recall. A recall is completely unnecessary and unwarranted. This isn't a safety issue. There will be a remedy of some sort, but no recall.

theultimo

I do not think a recall is warranted. However, I do hope they talk about the issue. Hiding things from the public will just make the image worse.

And hopefully they will finally announce 4.0 release date for IPAD I AM WAITING.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
A full blown press conference to address the issue is a lot more than I was expecting a for an official response.

They're at the very least acknowledging that this issue is important enough to schedule an emergency presser to do something about it, so right there I'm confident they plan on doing the right thing. Nothing would look worse than if they hold this thing tomorrow and it doesn't bring up anything new in terms of "what's next". If this is a "deal with it" conference, we can then get pretty perplexed and pissed.

I don't know what to reasonably expect in this situation, but tomorrow should be fun.

itxaka

Defeatist
Good for Apple and iPhone 4 owners but there is no way they are gonna do a total recall.

If they acknowledge the issues, adn from now ow the new models don't have it, it would be awesome, just in time for the phone to arrive here. Maybe it's time to upgrade :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Leave it to Apple to turn a simple little problem w/ a simple fix (give out bumpers), to a big enough media disaster that it becomes a huge opportunity with all media focused on them to announce and say whatever they want at a press conference to address the "problem." :lol

Mar

Minsc said:
Leave it to Apple to turn a simple little problem w/ a simple fix (give out bumpers), to a big enough media disaster that it becomes a huge opportunity with all media focused on them to announce and say whatever they want at a press conference to address the "problem." :lol

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Pretty sure the people who have said this are the very same who were roasting Apple for not doing anything about this 'world ending disaster'.

Pimpwerx

This is just karma for the Gizmodo debacle. Give them credit for selling millions of phones that don't really work well as phones. PEACE.

Marty Chinn said:
Here you go Burger, just for you:

23ua9hc.jpg
WTF? Is that the original iPhone's box on the left there or is that some promotional thing? I had a 4Gig OG iPhone and I totally don't recall the box being so huge!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh good, an Australian release date announcement conference

LCfiner

WordAssassin said:
WTF? Is that the original iPhone's box on the left there or is that some promotional thing? I had a 4Gig OG iPhone and I totally don't recall the box being so huge!

pretty sure that's an Apple Store promo bag. I also had an OG iPhone and while the box was bigger than the current ones, it wasn't huge like that.

Pimpwerx

Now that I think about it, everyone from CR to Engadget missed this in their rush to push out a glowing review of the phone. Did anyone actually test the iPhone as a *gasp* phone? This won't cast doubt on future gadget reviews, though it should. It should be evidence enough that these devices are reviewed based on fluff and brand name. It's like gaming rags are more professional than these gadget sites. :lol PEACE.

Hari Seldon

Hopefully it is free bumpers or announcing a hardware rev coming out in a couple months that people can exchange their phones to for free.

LCfiner

Pimpwerx said:
Now that I think about it, everyone from CR to Engadget missed this in their rush to push out a glowing review of the phone. Did anyone actually test the iPhone as a *gasp* phone? This won't cast doubt on future gadget reviews, though it should. It should be evidence enough that these devices are reviewed based on fluff and brand name. It's like gaming rags are more professional than these gadget sites. :lol PEACE.
They did test it as a phone. They ran calls on it for a week before publishing reviews. Speaking about engadget, nyt and wsj here. None of them encountered the drop call issue in their units.

Hari Seldon

Pimpwerx said:

Yeah those gadget sites + PR chronies such as Mosberg totally dropped the ball. If you want good reviews of apple stuff you have to wait a month or two and evaluate the backlash.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
LCfiner said:
They did test it as a phone. They ran calls on it for a week before publishing reviews. Speaking about engadget, nyt and wsj here. None of them encountered the drop call issue in their units.
Pimpwerx rushed his post to push out another glowing PEACE

My prediction - 2 options for all iPhone 4 owners

1. Free bumper or alternative case from Apple + $50-100 credit for future Apple purchases

2. Return your iPhone 4 for a replacement fixed replacement

The majority of the people I know would gladly take the credit and use their own case, and it would save Apple a lot of money compared to a recall of all the phones. The $100 credit insures a future purchase and revenue to make up for this fiasco

Pimpwerx

LCfiner said:
Yeah...their tests were real rigorous. Would you be surprised if months later they admitted that their call tests were brief and didn't actually involve holding the phone? Or maybe their offices are under a cell tower. :lol

DeathNote said:
Pimpwerx rushed his post to push out another glowing PEACE
No rush at all. I typed the first one on my Evo while on the can. I can hold my Evo for hours without it dropping a signal. LOL! PEACE.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Yeah...their tests were real rigorous. Would you be surprised if months later they admitted that their call tests were brief and didn't actually involve holding the phone? Or maybe their offices are under a cell tower. :lol

No rush at all. I typed the first one on my Evo while on the can. I can hold my Evo for hours without it dropping a signal. LOL! PEACE.
I can too. On my 3G. Tons of people can on various phones. That's part of the reason why there are 5+ iPhone 4 reception threads. lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom