• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a podcast app for Apple watch that lets you choose episodes of a certain show? Or at least pick 'next/previous episode'?

I can't stand Overcast as my podcast player on iPhone because it offers zero granularity on downloading/streaming and it's cluttered with fucking ads, but if it's the only podcast app with a proper watch app then i'm basically forced to use that POS.

No podcast apps - not even the standard Apple one. As long as you have your phone with you it's fine, but I'd like to have the option to go for a walk without it. I like the granularity on pocket casts along with the syncing across web/iPhone/iPad.

BTails

My 42mm Gold Aluminum Series 2 is Preparing for Shipment!! I ordered it as soon as preorders went live, and it was originally giving me a Sept 27-29 delivery time frame. Hoping that it ships tonight, which would almost guarantee delivery sometime next week.

I've got a business trip on the 26th, so it'd be great to have my new watch by then, and get it set up for all my notifications.

Hey guys, I may not be able to pick up my watch tomorrow at my designated pick up time. How long do you think they will hold the watch for?

Also, if I can read my 6S plus outside directly in the sun on a bright clear day, I assume I will be able to read the series one display? Is that a decent comparison?

Well, signed up for MyUPS, but it isn't letting me presign for the box. Will it only do that after a certain point? Never had issues before.

Hey guys, I may not be able to pick up my watch tomorrow at my designated pick up time. How long do you think they will hold the watch for?

Also, if I can read my 6S plus outside directly in the sun on a bright clear day, I assume I will be able to read the series one display? Is that a decent comparison?

They let you reserve a watch for pickup in store?

The order I made the night of preorders says processing and it gave me pick a window for pickup. It's a series 1 though.

Exact wording:

Processing Items

Check-In Window:

Tomorrow between 8:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.

Maybe it is just for Series 1 watches?

Edit: just got email it'll be ready for pickup.

Couldn't find anything on the UPS site to let me pre sign for the delivery tomorrow, but the Apple site did give me the print out. Just odd that I couldn't find it on UPS.

I can't seem to find any reviews for the series 1. I'm curious how it stacks up against the S2 as far as speed goes. I went with the 38mm Space Grey S1 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival - would like some info in the meantime.

I can't seem to find any reviews for the series 1. I'm curious how it stacks up against the S2 as far as speed goes. I went with the 38mm Space Grey S1 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival - would like some info in the meantime.

Both watches use the same CPU, so speed would be identical on both.

Is Series 1 also water-proof?

No. Series 1 is splash resistant. Series 2 is water RESISTANT up to 50m.

You guys might want to read the OP, there is some more info there...

Last question before the big day: how long does it take to set up an Apple Watch? I've read mixed reports that range from thirty minutes to hours.

Both watches use the same CPU, so speed would be identical on both.

No. Series 1 is splash resistant. Series 2 is water RESISTANT up to 50m.

You guys might want to read the OP, there is some more info there...

Thanks for the info. I knew that they had the same dual core processor but I thought there might still be some differences due to the improved graphics capabilities of the S2. I guess it makes sense that that probably wouldn't make any difference to performance.

Last question before the big day: how long does it take to set up an Apple Watch? I've read mixed reports that range from thirty minutes to hours.

To setup? Pretty quick. To update to WatchOS3? Took me 3 hours. You'll spend more time selecting what notifications you want/Watch face/dock apps as well.

I'm still pissed my new one isn't arriving tomorrow (was hoping to break it in on my Saturday long run) but at least it's in "preparing to ship". Enjoy.
Got the day off tomorrow. Been wanting one since version 0 launched and my patience for series 2 should pay off. These last two or so weeks without my Fitbit HR have been rough without a tracker or watch on my wrist. The band snapped on it.

Got the day off tomorrow. Been wanting one since version 0 launched and my patience for series 2 should pay off. These last two or so weeks without my Fitbit HR have been rough without a tracker or watch on my wrist. The band snapped on it.

I had to quit using fitbits because they gave me a really bad rash. Apple sports band does not cause irritation. So if you had a problem before you probably won't get one now.

I had to quit using fitbits because they gave me a really bad rash. Apple sports band does not cause irritation. So if you had a problem before you probably won't get one now.

The Fitbit was one of the first things that never bothered my arm. The problem was the band literally split in half. And I never abused it. It just broke apart.

Meanwhile, my wife has the small lil one to put in your pocket and has washed it and dried it a few times by accident, yet it still keeps trucking.

As always, I believe SS is a massive improvement over aluminum and do think it's worth it. Not just in materials but just how it looks in general

dc89

Is stainless steel worth the extra $200 over the aluminum?

As a SS owner - yes. I love the weight of it and the robustness of the materials used.
You ask my other half, who has an aluminium one, and she would tell you no. She doesn't like the weight of it.
So it's horses for courses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Forgot my watch this morning and getting withdrawal symptoms from the activity tracker. Still walked to the office instead of taking the tube, but now my little circles won't update :/

Tobor

Series 1 readily available through the website while the series 2 is 3-5 weeks.

Really hope I can grab one at the store today.

Same here. Has anyone had any luck?

EDIT: more importantly, if I show up looking for a watch, is there a separate line? Are they selling anything beyond phones today?

Only just opened it, and damn is the band on this short as hell. I don't have a big wrist, and went with the 38mm. The band barely fits around my wrist.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Only just opened it, and damn is the band on this short as hell. I don't have a big wrist, and went with the 38mm. The band barely fits around my wrist.

There should be two sizes of bands, right? I found this out in the store last week.

I was dead-set on the 38mm watch seeing as I hate big watches, but actually putting it on made it feel like a women's watch. Just too small and the strap was tiny.

What size did everyone else get?

Aluminum 38mm with woven nylon band. That is the second to last hole on the strap and it is that tight. I just moved it to the last one. I haven't turned it on yet, but disappointed in the band length. The watch itself is the perfect size for me though.

Top Bottom