• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Has anybody clarified if the series 1 has the same battery as the series 2? (Bigger than series 0)

Seems like the series 1 might be the best battery life play.

Space Black S2 still says estimated delivery of early October. Going to try and see if I can snag one in store between now and then

By the way, you can sync a music playlist to the apple watch and listen to it on wireless headphones without using the phone.

But I personally exclusively use Spotify and use wired earpods while working out, so that's a no-go for me anyway
Didn't know this, though I have playlists on my phone and Spotify designed for working out. I may end up with the s1 when all is said and done just off the strength of being cheaper.

icespide

Banned
Is that nylon band new? If anyone has a s1 black nylon band watch can you please post a pic of it on your wrist?

nylon bands were announced a long while ago:

I'm using one now

O9MryjA.jpg

VgiheKv.jpg

nylon bands were announced a long while ago:

I'm using one now

Lol, I guess your desk matches your avatar. Thanks for the "in person" view. That's the exact watch/band I ordered. I think what's cool is that it is a bit more distinctive versus the black sports band.

On a different note. How are people liking the newer "breathe" app? I have always wanted to try introducing some meditation techniques into my daily routine and this seems like a good starting point.

japtor

I wonder if the screen lock feature on the Series 2 they enable for swimming can be enabled manually for just that reason.

Beyond that, I'm a 10k-half marathon runner and my longest runs top out around 15 miles - so I'd be ok on a full charge.

I think I read something about charging times being 2 hours for a full charge? It wouldn't be too hard for me to charge my watch at work on days I know I'm going to run.
Yeah you can manually lock the screen during workouts (spin crown to unlock an on screen lock), it's one of the buttons on the left pane (along with pause and end). Also apparently you can hit the crown and dock button to pause workouts now too, along with auto pause option for running.

One thing about the battery, it's the same including a GPS workout iirc, I'm kinda curious how it is day to day when not using it. And yeah a full charge should be around 2 hours. People that do sleep tracking with it sleep then charge in the morning when they shower and stuff.
There's a Now Playing entry in the dock. That's how you do it. It'll work with any audio-playing app (like overcast, Castro, Apple'a Podcast app).
And it automatically shows up on the right side, or you can dock it, but waste a dock space (I think it counts against the limit?).
That's so weird. How do other phone makers have phones that are IP67 with open 3.5mm and USB sockets, yet Apple need some fancy system to ejaculate through a tiny slit?
It's for the speaker alone afaik. I guess I killed (or made uselessly tinny) the speaker on my original I guess by showering daily with it for a while. I got it exchanged under warranty and they had a questionnaire about it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had whatever user data on parts that died the most from water exposure. If the speaker was a common culprit that'd explain the (possibly paranoid) elaborate speaker/cavity redesign and ejection action.

Kinda curious if the mic hole has a similar thing or if it's just less of an issue there.

I use the stock weather app on the watch. With WatchOS3, I can't for the life of me figure out how to see the temperature by hour and the chance of rain by hour. Anyone figure it out? It keeps going to a 10 day forecast.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, that is way worse. I was too dumb to figure that out this morning.
Also, why the hell is it showing the big F in the middle in the hour by hour temperature screen... just show the damn current temperature in the middle, I'm not that dumb to not see whether it's showing celsius or fahrenheit. The way it is now, I need a weather complication for the current temperature, and to open the app to see hour by hour. This was the problem before as well mind you. Overal, I feel that they've went backwards on the weather app. Before you just needed one tap to cycle between the modes, and one crown roll to see the forecast. Now you need tap, force press and crown swipe to see the same info,

DarkJC

What do you mean? It's the same as before. The fource touch to change the weather app modes is exactly the same as before. Meaning mind you, that it's still dumb. Why the hell is it showing the big F in the middle in the hour by hour temperature screen... just show the damn current temperature in the middle, I'm not that dumb to not see whether it's showing celsius or fahrenheit.

Before you had the option of tapping on the dial and it would flip between temp / conditions / chance of rain, now you have to force press because tapping on the dial takes you to the 10 day forecast.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Before you had the option of tapping on the dial and it would flip between temp / conditions / chance of rain, now you have to force press because tapping on the dial takes you to the 10 day forecast.

This.

It was a great use case for the mornings to quickly check the conditions for the day. 10 day forecast seems less useful on a watch.

jts

...hate me...
That's so weird. How do other phone makers have phones that are IP67 with open 3.5mm and USB sockets, yet Apple need some fancy system to ejaculate through a tiny slit?
Did you see the keynote? That mechanism is not to make it waterproof.

Anyone order a S2 Space Black with sport band and get a delivery for launch? Mine is currently set for delivery around October 3, want to see if there will be any chance of when I'm picking up my phone on Friday also getting the Watch

kaskade

Man, The only reason I want to upgrade is because I want to get the gold one.

I'm liking this combo. Seems like I could probably sell my sport black for close to 200. Maybe I'll just do that and get the series one. I don't feel the need for the GPS or the better water resistance. The screen is the only thing I might want the upgrade for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sorry, I edited my post, right after I posted it - I remembered that. I was more annoyed that the hourly temperature view still doesn't show the current temperature in the middle. It wasn't great to begin with, but yeah, they made it worse now.

This.

It was a great use case for the mornings to quickly check the conditions for the day. 10 day forecast seems less useful on a watch.
You had the forecast before too, just scroll up and down with the crown. It was actually more convenient than what they have now where you have to press the back button to go from forecast to main app screen.

TheContact

So series 1 should still be getting watch os3 yea? I've been checking for updates last two days and it says 2.2.2 is up to date

SuperPac

So series 1 should still be getting watch os3 yea? I've been checking for updates last two days and it says 2.2.2 is up to date

You mean Series 0? Yes - but your iPhone has to have iOS 10 installed first. Otherwise you'll be left with 2.2.2

I'm liking this combo. Seems like I could probably sell my sport black for close to 200. Maybe I'll just do that and get the series one. I don't feel the need for the GPS or the better water resistance. The screen is the only thing I might want the upgrade for.
Yea, that gold is nice. The band works with gold but I felt the midnight blue looked way better with gold, not sure why they stopped selling that combo and made it rose gold and midnight blue strap.

robotrock

Banned

That looks solid.

Gotta say I'm kind of disappointed in that Watch face. it looks super cool in the marketing shots but I'm not really feeling it now that I have it.

Can anyone with a watch on OS3 and a phone test something out for me? I turned on airplane mode mirroring and then started airplane mode from my watch and a message popped up but I didn't read it. I'm curious to see what it says, wondering if anyone else could pop the message

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
My series 2 order from best buy just got delayed 2 weeks. 9/28 is the shipping date now.

Luckily they gave me a $50 free coupon though. Still going to try to get one on Friday morning though in store.

Apple watch os 3 really eats more battery life orbimnjust using it more? I think i am going to keep my watch one more year before upgrading it.

TheContact

You mean Series 0? Yes - but your iPhone has to have iOS 10 installed first. Otherwise you'll be left with 2.2.2

Ah I thought series 1 was gen1 and gen 2 was series 2. Yea my phone isn't on iOS 10. That sucks it needs to be on it. I have a gba emulator I use and updating would kill it =x

That looks solid.

Gotta say I'm kind of disappointed in that Watch face. it looks super cool in the marketing shots but I'm not really feeling it now that I have it.

That new face is definitely a study in minimalism. Might be fine for a nice dinner. But typically I like to have the date, activity circles, and the weather on any face I use. Despite all the new faces, my go-to is still Utility. It's a perfect mix of classy and functional, while being fairly flexible in what complications you can show.

Speaking of faces, I just heard the Mickey and Minnie voices after all this time. What the hell did Disney do with those voice actors? Mickey doesn't sound anything like the Mickey I heard as a kid.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm really split on the new timers app..
My heart sank when I found that customs times wasn't something you force touched through to, but just a button at the bottom of the list. :/

I also see now that there IS in fact a now playing app that for some reason only appears in the dock seemingly at random. I did favorite it though so I'll see how that works.

jimmypython

Man watchOS3 is so awesome! Besides the speed improvement, the new complications are so handy to use.

For instance, I never bothered using it to control my phone music on previous versions because it used to take so long to load up the playlist. Now with the music app in the dock and the complication, I use it a A LOT more now.

The new message app scribble function works so well too. Texting real messages was unimaginable before.....

Can't wait to get the Series 2 now.

Damn I like that too but I feel like 42mm is too big. Does anyone have an opinion of 38mm vs. 42mm??

japtor

Damn I like that too but I feel like 42mm is too big. Does anyone have an opinion of 38mm vs. 42mm??
I thought they both looked fine on my wrist. I think I ended up opting for the 42mm cause the Milanese loop looked better, the 38mm version looked too thin width wise. If you have a store nearby just try both out and whatever bands you're interested in.

(Otherwise the 42 has more battery capacity if that's a concern, I'm not sure it's a big enough deal in real world usage to be a deciding factor though)

I thought they both looked fine on my wrist. I think I ended up opting for the 42mm cause the Milanese loop looked better, the 38mm version looked too thin width wise. If you have a store nearby just try both out and whatever bands you're interested in.

(Otherwise the 42 has more battery capacity if that's a concern, I'm not sure it's a big enough deal in real world usage to be a deciding factor though)

I have very dainty wrists :( which makes me feel the 42mm will look to big on me. I'm afraid I need to preorder so I can pick up in store on Friday so I wanted to lock in one before hand but haven't tried either on...

I have very dainty wrists :( which makes me feel the 42mm will look to big on me. I'm afraid I need to preorder so I can pick up in store on Friday so I wanted to lock in one before hand but haven't tried either on...

I have thinner wrists and the 38 was the right choice for me. Modern fashion trends have conditioned men in the last few years to think a a guy's watch has to be huge. Vintage men's watches were usually in the 38mm range.

I had printed up the mock watches to determine what size I needed. Went with 38mm. Even if it is smaller, I am fine with the choice. My watch for years was smaller anyways.

BTA

This.

Ugh, that sounds annoying; I check the day's forecast pretty often.

I'm itching to get OS3 but my phone always has weird issues when updating, so I'm not getting iOS 10 till after the weekend's over since I need it working.

Top Bottom