• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

I think series 2 might be my jumping in point for the Apple watch. I've been using Garmin products exclusively for the last few years to track my running. I most recently upgraded to the Vivoactive HR, but recent firmware updates have made the thing laggy and barely useable. I love the GPS tracking and more importantly the battery life - but I think I could get used to a single day use from the Watch.

Has anyone made the switch from a dedicated running watch to the Apple Watch, or is planning to with the Series 2? I also really like the idea of the silver case but wish I could have it come with a black band instead. I'd likely get a leather band from Etsy to go with it for day-to-day use.

Keeping my Garmin is out of the question as I don't need both and would likely sell my Vivoactive on Amazon to offset the cost of the Watch.

Cheech

I think series 2 might be my jumping in point for the Apple watch. I've been using Garmin products exclusively for the last few years to track my running. I most recently upgraded to the Vivoactive HR, but recent firmware updates have made the thing laggy and barely useable. I love the GPS tracking and more importantly the battery life - but I think I could get used to a single day use from the Watch.

Has anyone made the switch from a dedicated running watch to the Apple Watch, or is planning to with the Series 2? I also really like the idea of the silver case but wish I could have it come with a black band instead. I'd likely get a leather band from Etsy to go with it for day-to-day use.

Keeping my Garmin is out of the question as I don't need both and would likely sell my Vivoactive on Amazon to offset the cost of the Watch.

I went the other way and bought a Garmin Forerunner 235, selling my Apple Watch back in March.

The battery life was terrible, true, but the touch screen was the primary reason I ditched it. It was super sensitive to my sleeve hitting it and killing runs. The link between the watch and phone was also not super reliable, and would drop out from time to time, also killing runs.

I think it depends on what distances you'd run, since the Series 2 watch battery only lasts 5 hours in GPS mode. If I only ran up to half marathon distances, I would seriously considering going back to Apple and selling the Garmin. However, I do clock 20+ mile distances, so it's really a non starter. After those runs, my battery would be almost toast, and definitely not able to make it through the day.

The Nike Volt AW looks incredible, though. Maybe I'd be in for Series 3 if they can figure the battery life out. :)

I went the other way and bought a Garmin Forerunner 235, selling my Apple Watch back in March.

The battery life was terrible, true, but the touch screen was the primary reason I ditched it. It was super sensitive to my sleeve hitting it and killing runs. The link between the watch and phone was also not super reliable, and would drop out from time to time, also killing runs.

I think it depends on what distances you'd run, since the Series 2 watch battery only lasts 5 hours in GPS mode. If I only ran up to half marathon distances, I would seriously considering going back to Apple and selling the Garmin. However, I do clock 20+ mile distances, so it's really a non starter. After those runs, my battery would be almost toast, and definitely not able to make it through the day.

The Nike Volt AW looks incredible, though. Maybe I'd be in for Series 3 if they can figure the battery life out. :)

I wonder if the screen lock feature on the Series 2 they enable for swimming can be enabled manually for just that reason.

Beyond that, I'm a 10k-half marathon runner and my longest runs top out around 15 miles - so I'd be ok on a full charge.

I think I read something about charging times being 2 hours for a full charge? It wouldn't be too hard for me to charge my watch at work on days I know I'm going to run.

Any comparisons to the Apple Watch out yet? How reliable is the old Watch?

The old 42mm is going to $220, if it's not that big of an upgrade, might as well go with that one

SuperPac

Apple store says I will have it on the 16th but it still hasn't shipped yet. Is this normal?

It probably has shipped already. If you're in the US you can use the UPS track by reference trick to see. Track by reference number, and then enter your phone number. You can do the same thing for FedEx if it doesn't appear via UPS - not sure how they're shipping out watches.

fwpx

Anyone else having issues updating their watch to WatchOS3? Says the update cannot be verified because I am not connected to the internet?

The Series 1 is one of the new ones with upgraded processor, if you have the original it's just..."Apple Watch" (or Sport or Edition versions). Or Series 0 as some are calling it now.

I don't recall if there's been any rumors for the next one yet. A while back I was thinking the second revision would be a new design with the original sticking around with upgraded guts, to eventually create a lineup of different designs like normal watches. Maybe they'll do it next time, or maybe they're all about this being timeless and sticking around a while.

Oh wow, didn't realize the new cheaper model had the new processor. May consider picking that up as a stopgap. Just don't want to get in the habit of buying a $500+ watch every update, and I've had my current one less than a year.

I can't believe that Verge review lists visibility in daylight as a negative for the Series 2, I have the original and I've never had an issue seeing the screen outside.

SuperPac

Not sure if this is the right thread but I can't get my watch to update from 2.2.2, any ideas why? I'm not on the beta profile.

Is your phone on iOS 10? If it is, then maybe try powering the watch on and off and try again. Your phone has to be on iOS 10 to update the watch to OS 3.

Jeffrey

how's the app situation on the watch after a year?

I want to get an apple watch for jogging without having to bring my phone, mostly for music playback, but I've not used the music app on iphone, let alone itunes in probably 5 years (outside of occasional backup). Any decent 3rd party app workarounds?

br3wnor

WatchOS3 update is really finicky. Don't be surprised if it takes 3+ hours and/or you need to power cycle phone/watch.

Yeah, been taking a while for me so far, took about 15 minutes to go from "About 55 minutes" to "About 50 minutes". My phone is only at 50% and I don't have my charger at work and my watch isn't connected to it's charger (though it's at like 85%) so I'm really living on the edge here.

First impressions I read said it makes the watch (1st gen) much snappier which would be awesome, I mainly use my watch as a notification center/fitbit replacement but would love a speed boost either way.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It probably has shipped already. If you're in the US you can use the UPS track by reference trick to see. Track by reference number, and then enter your phone number. You can do the same thing for FedEx if it doesn't appear via UPS - not sure how they're shipping out watches.

You were right. They have shipped. Found them via my phone number.
Coming straight from China.
Friday is going to be a good day!

RowdyReverb

I'm wondering if that brighter screen is worth the $100 premium. Everything I've read so far leads me to believe that the brightness of the "Series 0" was never an issue

how's the app situation on the watch after a year?

I want to get an apple watch for jogging without having to bring my phone, mostly for music playback, but I've not used the music app on iphone, let alone itunes in probably 5 years (outside of occasional backup). Any decent 3rd party app workarounds?

I won't get my S2 until next week but I am currently using Strava on my watch/iPhone. Works great and it has a fun social aspect to it. You can sync a playlist to your watch and then pair your headphones to the watch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm wondering if that brighter screen is worth the $100 premium. Everything I've read so far leads me to believe that the brightness of the "Series 0" was never an issue

I tested the Series 0 at the store and it's very bright. Bright enough for probably 99,9% of use cases. It's the sole reason I went for the series 1 myself. I don't need the GPS and I don't care about it being 100% waterproof if it makes the device fatter.

I've been using an Apple Watch since launch, never had an issue with screen not being bright enough

But brighter is always better when outdoors

Guess Who

Banned

I have a steel Series 0, and it can be very difficult to read the screen in bright sunlight. But I understand it's also worse on the steel than it was on the Sport, because the sapphire on the steel model is less transparent than the regular glass on the Sport.

br3wnor

I've been using an Apple Watch since launch, never had an issue with screen not being bright enough

But brighter is always better when outdoors

Yeah, been using one since Decemberish? and have never run into an issue with screen brightness, even in pretty bright sunlight conditions.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Can't justify upgrading two phones and two watches in the same year, so it looks like I'm swapping cycles, starting this year. Plus, WatchOS3 is a nice bump already. I'll live, since it looks like next year is almost guaranteed to be a major revision.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I am thinking about getting the Series 1 because according to people, you can still basically swim in it. I also almost always carry my phone with me even if I am out jogging. Got my arm band that I put my phone in so I can listen to music. So it seems like a good idea to get the cheaper Series 1 with updated processors and enjoy WatchOS3 :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I am thinking about getting the Series 1 because according to people, you can still basically swim in it. I also almost always carry my phone with me even if I am out jogging. Got my arm band that I put my phone in so I can listen to music. So it seems like a good idea to get the cheaper Series 1 with updated processors and enjoy WatchOS3 :)

Basically my thought process. Plus the fact that the Series 1 is actually a tiny bit thinner and i'm saving a hundred bucks in the process.

I run almost everyday so GPS is a must and water proof is great addition. Again, brighter is always better for being outdoors in direct sunlight

But series 1 isn't a bad buy by any means if you're not into fitness

I'm in the gym 4 times a week and I run twice a week. Not once was I bothered by taking my phone with me, and I need it for spotify/music anyway.

pbsapeer

Banned

I'm the same as you. Always had Harmon products (forerunner 110, vivosmart and vivosmart HR) but decided to go for an Apple Watch 2. I really used to like my GPS forerunner as it was great for pace and actual distance but I like receiving smart notifications. I'm at the point now where sometimes I want to be able to respond on my watch or decide what to do anyway.
The fact that Nike have tagged along is a big deal as I've always liked Nike products and one feature I didn't realise was the Bluetooth audio you can do with the watch. I've been using an iPod shuffle for about 6 years and the battery is a little bad now. I like the fact it is waterproof as this means I can shower with it.
Also I generally do 5k runs so battery life should be fine. I carry a powerbank most days so I suppose I could always charge at work if required

Making the watch waterproof and adding swim workouts was the only thing they could have done to make me want an Apple Watch and they did it! I still want to wait for more user reviews from swimmers to see how they like it, but it's going to be hard not impulse purchase a Series 2 if I can find one in stores on Friday.

spitter.gif

SuperPac

So with no Now Playing glance or Podcast app to dock, is it possible to pause a podcast you're listening to from the watch?

There's a Now Playing entry in the dock. That's how you do it. It'll work with any audio-playing app (like overcast, Castro, Apple'a Podcast app).

I run almost everyday so GPS is a must and water proof is great addition. Again, brighter is always better for being outdoors in direct sunlight

But series 1 isn't a bad buy by any means if you're not into fitness
Well I don't swim really and I doubt that I'd go for a run without my phone since I need music so that just leaves the screen brightness which I don't see as such an important feature.

But I just feel like s2 will be better compared to s1 even without said differences. Are there any s1 and s2 comparison reviews?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well I don't swim really and I doubt that I'd go for a run without my phone since I need music so that just leaves the screen brightness which I don't see as such an important feature.

But I just feel like s2 will be better compared to s1 even without said differences. Are there any s1 and s2 comparison reviews?

By the way, you can sync a music playlist to the apple watch and listen to it on wireless headphones without using the phone.

But I personally exclusively use Spotify and use wired earpods while working out, so that's a no-go for me anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's so weird. How do other phone makers have phones that are IP67 with open 3.5mm and USB sockets, yet Apple need some fancy system to ejaculate through a tiny slit?

Pre-ordered my Series 2 and I gotta wait until September 30 for it! I live in the UK by the way.

To anyone that has an Apple Watch, how does playing music on it work? I'm subscribed to Apple Music and I plan on using it to run without my phone; however, I'm intrigued as to how Apple Music (or Spotify) integrate with it? Do you download the music via the Apple Watch app?

#FirstWorldProblems

By the way, you can sync a music playlist to the apple watch and listen to it on wireless headphones without using the phone.

But I personally exclusively use Spotify and use wired earpods while working out, so that's a no-go for me anyway

Running with just the watch and Bluetooth headphones is a freeing experience, not sure I could go back to taking my phone with me and especially using a wire. But that only can happen if you use apple music and have the ability to load music on the Watch

Top Bottom