• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

BTA

Glad to hear that OS3 seems to make a difference for S0, since I'm not upgrading anytime soon and would be happy if my watch would work a bit faster! Though my biggest want is still for it to have a podcast app, and less importantly, the ability to set songs as "up next" from the Watch. It's still so weird to me how it adapts to controlling podcasts just fine but can't actually start playing them.

"Series Zero" sounds cool, huh.

Glad to hear that OS3 seems to make a difference for S0, since I'm not upgrading anytime soon and would be happy if my watch would work a bit faster! Though my biggest want is still for it to have a podcast app, and less importantly, the ability to set songs as "up next" from the Watch. It's still so weird to me how it adapts to controlling podcasts just fine but can't actually start playing them.

"Series Zero" sounds cool, huh.

Yes not being able to sync audio files from third party apps kind of sucks.

gatti-man

I was SS for Series 0, and actually considered going for the cheaper aluminum this time sering it likely is a stop-gap generation. Then
I googled some pictures of the aluminum watch with different bands, and the thing is - it looks like a sports tech gadget, whereas the SS one looks like a watch. I guess it is because aluminum watches aren't very commin, and mostly fir sports. So, SS again.

No Apple Watch looks like a watch to me. They look like work toys or life toys. I'm not giving up my dress watch for a long time. The Apple Watch is more of a tool in my eyes than an actual watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And good third party metal bands that have fine tuning (e.g. holes in the clasp)? I bought a hoco one which is nice but I can only remove entire links and it's either too tight or too loose. I prefer the bands with 3 segments across the width rather than the apple link bracelet one segment

And good third party metal bands that have fine tuning (e.g. holes in the clasp)? I bought a hoco one which is nice but I can only remove entire links and it's either too tight or too loose. I prefer the bands with 3 segments across the width rather than the apple link bracelet one segment

Wanting to know myself. Ordered a nylon band, but do like metal link watches.

japtor

How does the black stainless steel look in person? I don't have an Apple retail store nearby, don't know anybody with an Apple Watch, and have a feeling pictures don't do the appearance of the product justice to check. Not too sure how the black stainless steel looks as a watch in contrast to the silver one. Also not really sure how different coloured bands will look with it, does the black work well with a variety of band colours?
It basically makes the whole body and screen seamless, I prefer the look to the regular SS myself but it's not for everyone. And yeah it's hard to photograph cause it's basically really black, but it's also got a really subtle depth to it that separates it from just a glossy black surface (I have black lugs that are like that and you can see the difference).

As for bands I like lighter colors with it, darker bands should work too but I feel like I need some noticeable contrast cause the body is uniformly black. I had a navy NATO band with black rings/lugs but it just blended all together that it might as well have been black...I swapped it with an orange one. Otherwise I have a white sport (i.e. storm trooper combo) and the SS Milanese loop. I want the black Milanese too despite what I said about contrast earlier, I just have a thing for black mesh bands.

I also have the black link actually (got it before they sold the black SS watch separately), it has a brushed finish and looks really cool the way the light reflects off it, I'm just not a fan of the link style.

If you haven't done so yet, look on Amazon for used stands and bands before people start snatching them up.

Last week I ordered a used twelve south hi-rise dock that just arrived and appears to be in immaculate condition. even better, it came with an extra watch charging cable (that I can't test yet to see if it is working). even better still, this cost less than 20 bucks. So, dock and cable for cheaper than just an extra cable!

Tobor

I went in to the Apple Store to ask if they would swap out the sport band for the XL sport band or if I need to buy it separately. The girl I talked said they can't but a manager might be able to do it. I really don't want to spend an extra $50 if I don't have to, but I also loathe making a fuss and being that guy. Also, they don't have the XL sport strap in stock anyway, it's a special order.

Curse my giant wrists!

robotrock

Banned
I went in to the Apple Store to ask if they would swap out the sport band for the XL sport band or if I need to buy it separately. The girl I talked said they can't but a manager might be able to do it. I really don't want to spend an extra $50 if I don't have to, but I also loathe making a fuss and being that guy. Also, they don't have the XL sport strap in stock anyway, it's a special order.

Curse my giant wrists!

Disappointed in Apple here. They should respect your constitutional right to bear arms.

If you haven't done so yet, look on Amazon for used stands and bands before people start snatching them up.

Last week I ordered a used twelve south hi-rise dock that just arrived and appears to be in immaculate condition. even better, it came with an extra watch charging cable (that I can't test yet to see if it is working). even better still, this cost less than 20 bucks. So, dock and cable for cheaper than just an extra cable!
Any recommendations for stands?

ZeroX03

Banned
Hopefully Watch OS 3 is kickass on my original Apple Watch, but I'm not hesitant to upgrade for the CPU boost and the waterproofing.

japtor

Hopefully Watch OS 3 is kickass on my original Apple Watch, but I'm not hesitant to upgrade for the CPU boost and the waterproofing.
It's pretty nice, not necessarily enough that I wouldn't notice an upgrade, but enough that I don't mind sticking with my original watch. If I upgrade now it'd be more for the extra brightness, GPS, and waterproofing rather than (previously) mainly for performance.

...and the ceramic case

Just ordered a cheap metal link band off Amazon in anticipation of my series 2 showing up. I can see myself getting many bands over time. Sigh.

Any recommendations for stands?

Not really. I ordered the hi-rise because it was cheap and came with that extra cable. I have other hi-rise stands for the iPad and iPhone, so it is nice that it matches. Like those other two, the phone doesn't seem to stick or have traction to my nightstand, so lifting things might not be great. Considering it is metal, I'd imagine the wood and plastic ones would be much more worse in that regard.

As for bands, I posted earlier in this thread that I was happy with the red sport band I bought (it actually looks red) and my disappointment with my cheap milanese loop silver band (which I think just looks bad on my pale/pinkish skin).

This spigen dock has served me well. Perfect if you use your Apple Watch as an alarm clock like I do:

Apple Watch Stand, Spigen [Charging Dock] Apple Watch Stand [S350] Premium TPU Compatible with Apple Watch Nightstand Mode [watchOS 2] for Apple Watch (2015) - S350 (SGP11584) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0109I9W24/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's really simple but that's what makes it perfect. Hell im considering a second one for work since I'll now have 2 charge cords.

Edit:

Just laid down in bed for evening. Apple Watch is at 20% battery with light usage and a 50 minute run. I think most people won't be disappointed with performance versus battery life on this release.

pbsapeer

Banned
So jealous of you guys getting your Apple Watch this Friday. Kinda regretting the Nike one I preordered. Should have gone for the standard watch 😟

I ordered mine early afternoon on Friday and it has an early October delivery estimate from Apple

Space Black SS with sport band

subrock

Curse my giant wrists!
Wait doesn't it come with both the small and large bands in the box though? Or are you saying that there is an even bigger size out there?

Tobor

Wait doesn't it come with both the small and large bands in the box though? Or are you saying that there is an even bigger size out there?

Yes, it comes with the S/M and M/L in the box. They also offer a L/XL as an accessory in black and white only.

The M/L maxes out at 210mm. The L/XL extends it to 245mm. I need the L/XL.

Ive been completely out of it and didn't even know they announced new watches. Please tell me I don't need my iphone anymore for the watch to work.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Now that the Apple Watch is officially in an upgrade cycle, I'm finding it odd that Apple doesn't sell the Watch body separate from the bands like they do with the bands. Oy vey.

Tobor

How often do you see watches sold without a band?

This is Apple though, they can do whatever they want.

I also wish they sold the watch body ala carte, as the combination I want isn't offered. But it's not going to stop me from purchasing, which is probably the point.

They know the people intent on upgrading will buy whether they need another band or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How often do you see watches sold without a band?

How often will people have a collection of bands that are interchangeable and then upgrade the hardware and not really need another band?

It'd also make inventory management simpler as they'd just stock faces and bands separately, and allow you to choose a combination more suited to you, even if Apple don't offer that specifically

jts

...hate me...
How often will people have a collection of bands that are interchangeable and then upgrade the hardware and not really need another band?

It'd also make inventory management simpler as they'd just stock faces and bands separately, and allow you to choose a combination more suited to you, even if Apple don't offer that specifically
Normal sports bands cost $50. That may not be cheap but it's low enough for the Apple's rationale of the user eating up that cost if they want a different configuration (and they are worth something, should the user want to sell it). With the benefit of reducing the SKUs to ready to use ones and marketing the Apple Watch in an attractive and watch-y collection setup.

I mean they also don't sell devices without chargers or iPhones without headsets, even if you don't need them
or have plenty of them already. And some of those can be pricey.

robotrock

Banned
You guys have experience with polishing the Stainless Steel Watch?

I'm wondering if I can polish all four sides (including the one with the digital crown)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not that easy to do it by accident.
If the way it activates is the same if was in beta, for people who wear the watch tightly while doing some physical work it seems to happen a lot. I've read so many complaints in various places of people capturing accidental screenshots on their watches, which requires the crown and the button press at the same time. I've read people also complaining about making accidental 911 calls while using watchOS3 beta. I think it's really dumb of Apple to have that option enabled by default, but at least it can be disabled.

I really want a new apple watch but I have to sell the one I have first I just don't want to deal with that. What can I sell it for? $200? It's the cheapest 42mm watch

JayDub

You guys have experience with polishing the Stainless Steel Watch?

I'm wondering if I can polish all four sides (including the one with the digital crown)

I do. You can polish any part of it. The crown, be sure to tape off the black insert on the crown but really, it didn't do anything to that neither.

Tabris

If the way it activates is the same if was in beta, for people who wear the watch tightly while doing some physical work it seems to happen a lot. I've read so many complaints in various places of people capturing accidental screenshots on their watches, which requires the crown and the button press at the same time. I've read people also complaining about making accidental 911 calls while using watchOS3 beta. I think it's really dumb of Apple to have that option enabled by default, but at least it can be disabled.

Yeah, I wear my watch tight and low on my wrist, and once in a blue moon I sometimes have random screenshots of my watch face. I think doing anything like leaning over a table where my wrists are bent or push ups may be causing it? I don't notice it until I'm looking through my photos.

Shearie

I have a question to ask anybody with watchOS 3 about a pet peeve of mine that I've had with the Apple Watch ever since I've got it. When you get a notification while Do Not Disturb is on, is it saved in the Notification Center? It's always bothered me that you don't receive notifications in the Apple Watch's Notification Center when Do Not Disturb is on since I have to always fish out my phone to see if I missed anything. I don't understand why it doesn't just work like in iOS.

Tabris

I have a question to ask anybody with watchOS 3 about a pet peeve of mine that I've had with the Apple Watch ever since I've got it. When you get a notification while Do Not Disturb is on, is it saved in the Notification Center? It's always bothered me that you don't receive notifications in the Apple Watch's Notification Center when Do Not Disturb is on since I have to always fish out my phone to see if I missed anything. I don't understand why it doesn't just work like in iOS.

Why even use DnD when you have an Apple Watch on you. Just use the taptic feature of the watch and mute it. So whenever you have your watch, unless your phone is unlocked, you'll feel the notification but you don't need to do anything about it until you're done whatever you were doing that caused you wanting to be DnD.

DnD makes sense when you take your watch off, aka when sleeping / showering.

Shearie

Why even use DnD when you have an Apple Watch on you. Just use the taptic feature of the watch and mute it. So whenever you have your watch, unless your phone is unlocked, you'll feel the notification but you don't need to do anything about it until you're done whatever you were doing that caused you wanting to be DnD.

DnD makes sense when you take your watch off, aka when sleeping / showering.

Sometimes I don't want to be alerted at all because it's a distraction like whenever I'm in class but would like to quickly check missed notifications on my watch when I'm done, which I currently can't do. Also, sometimes I'm using my watch and don't want to be interrupted with a full screen alert. Having DND work like in iOS fixes both of these for me easily.

SuperPac

Sometimes I don't want to be alerted at all because it's a distraction like whenever I'm in class but would like to quickly check missed notifications on my watch when I'm done, which I currently can't do. Also, sometimes I'm using my watch and don't want to be interrupted with a full screen alert. Having DND work like in iOS fixes both of these for me easily.

If you're getting too many notifications on your watch you might think about more liberally cutting which apps are able to send to your watch vs. just go in notification center on your phone. Then you definitely get the most important ones on your wrist and can check anything else on your phone when you're able. Otherwise, not sure there's a solution for you.

Shearie

If you're getting too many notifications on your watch you might think about more liberally cutting which apps are able to send to your watch vs. just go in notification center on your phone. Then you definitely get the most important ones on your wrist and can check anything else on your phone when you're able. Otherwise, not sure there's a solution for you.

I already fine tuned my notifications so I'm not getting unwanted alerts. Sometimes I don't want notifications and alerts from anybody but I want the ability to check them quickly on my watch when I want, which I can't do currently. DND works perfectly on iOS. I just want it to work like that.

Anyway, still wondering if they changed it in watchOS 3. I can't install the update for a long while so if anyone can tell me it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom