• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

I have a question to ask anybody with watchOS 3 about a pet peeve of mine that I've had with the Apple Watch ever since I've got it. When you get a notification while Do Not Disturb is on, is it saved in the Notification Center? It's always bothered me that you don't receive notifications in the Apple Watch's Notification Center when Do Not Disturb is on since I have to always fish out my phone to see if I missed anything. I don't understand why it doesn't just work like in iOS.

I've submitted feedback about this exact thing. It still works as described, turning DND on on the watch just means no notifications hit it at all, they stay in iOS

Shearie

I've submitted feedback about this exact thing. It still works as described, turning DND on on the watch just means no notifications hit it at all, they stay in iOS

Oh well, the feedback train to Apple continues...

Still super excited for watchOS 3 though

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just a note to help with future confusion, there is no "Sport" designation anymore. Just the Series and the material

In that case, ordered the all-black aluminium series 1 in 42mm. Not really because it was the cheapest but because it's the only one that doesn't look tacky.

JayDub

Yeah, I wear my watch tight and low on my wrist, and once in a blue moon I sometimes have random screenshots of my watch face. I think doing anything like leaning over a table where my wrists are bent or push ups may be causing it? I don't notice it until I'm looking through my photos.

Same issue! Maybe Ive been wearing watches wrong. Perhaps Im wearing it too low because every picture I see watches are worn slightly above the wrist.

Same issue! Maybe Ive been wearing watches wrong. Perhaps Im wearing it too low because every picture I see watches are worn slightly above the wrist.

It's been happening to me as I have been losing weight. I am between 2 "holes" on my sports band where one is too tight and one is too small. Better to be loose during day wear than too tight. During fitness I tighten to lower band for better tracking of my HR.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I wear my watch tight and low on my wrist, and once in a blue moon I sometimes have random screenshots of my watch face. I think doing anything like leaning over a table where my wrists are bent or push ups may be causing it? I don't notice it until I'm looking through my photos.
That's the experience of everyone who complains about it. That's the worst part - people are going to be making 911 calls without even being aware of it quickly enough to cancel them.

I do. You can polish any part of it. The crown, be sure to tape off the black insert on the crown but really, it didn't do anything to that neither.
I think that decoration is made of ceramic so you shouldn't be able to scratch it during polishing. What technique do you use btw? How does it look like after polishing?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Installing os3!! Been quite excited for this.

robotrock

Banned
Loving Watch OS3. That scribble thing works so well.

Apps load fast after the initial install or whatever, and customizing Watch faces on your iPhone is brilliant.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, RIP swiping up for quick music controls. So far its a massive improvement but not being able to pause so thoughtlessly will take a bit of getting used to.

jts

...hate me...
Dang, RIP swiping up for quick music controls. So far its a massive improvement but not being able to pause so thoughtlessly will take a bit of getting used to.
Yeah I had the same flow.

But just get the "Now Playing" app to your dock and get used to press the side button to get the controls.

Guess Who

Banned

I keep the Now Playing app in my Dock, which is not quite as fast, but it's about as close as it's gonna get. They really do need a Now Playing complication.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I had the same flow.

But just get the "Now Playing" app to your dock and get used to press the side button to get the controls.

Now playing is just a screen in the music app, depending on where you last left the music app that screen is not what instantly pops up.

I agree that sucks, but the loss of glances in general sucks. I liked glances. And I liked the friend wheel too, while we are at it.

Also the gesture to change watch faces is wasted since you don't need to do that often and force press worked just fine and made logical sense. Silly changes.

I agree that sucks, but the loss of glances in general sucks. I liked glances. And I liked the friend wheel too, while we are at it.

Also the gesture to change watch faces is wasted since you don't need to do that often and force press worked just fine and made logical sense. Silly changes.

Actually, since the gesture to change faces came about I've made more for specific scenarios. I have one for when I'm chilling at home, one for driving, one for work, one for working out, and a couple super minimal ones for when I want it to feel a tad classier. The easier switching makes it feel more natural to go from scenario to scenario

I hated glances. Having to swipe through a long horizontal list of glances to find the one you want was painful. Good riddance to bad UX.

The Watch was meant to use the crown and buttons for navigation. The touchscreen should be used sparingly because swiping is awkward on that screen. (don't get me started on the apps screen) I'm glad to see the software design catching up with the hardware design.

This download to the watch sucks. It fluctuates everywhere. Now it's at 2 days, 1 hour, when it was at 1 hour just 3 hours ago.

There needs to be a better way. Giving up. Awful Apple. Completely awful.

icespide

Banned
I hated glances. Having to swipe through a long horizontal list of glances to find the one you want was painful. Good riddance to bad UX.

The Watch was meant to use the crown and buttons for navigation. The touchscreen should be used sparingly because swiping is awkward on that screen. (don't get me started on the apps screen) I'm glad to see the software design catching up with the hardware design.

you just helped me realize that you can use the digital crown to scroll through apps in the dock. this changes everything

...You still have to swipe through a horizontal list to find your docked app

Edit - oh didn't realize that either. But they could have put that function into glances also

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
With scribble watchOS relies on the touch panel more than ever.

BTA

If the way it activates is the same if was in beta, for people who wear the watch tightly while doing some physical work it seems to happen a lot. I've read so many complaints in various places of people capturing accidental screenshots on their watches, which requires the crown and the button press at the same time. I've read people also complaining about making accidental 911 calls while using watchOS3 beta. I think it's really dumb of Apple to have that option enabled by default, but at least it can be disabled.

It can be disabled? That's good news.

My wrist takes accidental screenshots just about every fucking day, so when this was announced I was kinda worried I'd have to deal with a much bigger problem.

Guess Who

Banned
Some of you guys need to just like, wear your watch half an inch further up your wrist so you stop pressing the side buttons. I practically never have this problem.

DarkJC

Now playing is just a screen in the music app, depending on where you last left the music app that screen is not what instantly pops up.

There's actually a separate dedicated "Now Playing" view in the Dock that isn't part of the music app.

I'm stubbornly covetous of this design:

iwatch-concept-nike.jpg

apple plz, we don't all need a cosmetic wonder, give us that band form factor sometime

Has anyone received their bands yet? I'd love to see some of the new colors in real shots, not Apple marketing stuff. Thinking about one of the two blues.

I wonder if they'll eventually make the bands that come with the Nike version available separately. A faster processor would be nice but I don't feel particularly enticed to upgrade from my Series 1. I'd love to grab that band though.

Rumor is that a redesign comes out next year right? If I knew it'll be another couple years before a Series 3 releases I'd upgrade.

xJavonta

Banned
Really wish I had the cash to spring for the SS watch when I got mine. Getting bored of my space gray sport.

Anyone know how I can give this thing some more pop? I have a leather band and that's nice, but I want the watch itself to stand out. Do skins look okay?

japtor

I wonder if they'll eventually make the bands that come with the Nike version available separately. A faster processor would be nice but I don't feel particularly enticed to upgrade from my Series 1. I'd love to grab that band though.

Rumor is that a redesign comes out next year right? If I knew it'll be another couple years before a Series 3 releases I'd upgrade.
The Series 1 is one of the new ones with upgraded processor, if you have the original it's just..."Apple Watch" (or Sport or Edition versions). Or Series 0 as some are calling it now.

I don't recall if there's been any rumors for the next one yet. A while back I was thinking the second revision would be a new design with the original sticking around with upgraded guts, to eventually create a lineup of different designs like normal watches. Maybe they'll do it next time, or maybe they're all about this being timeless and sticking around a while.

Really wish I had the cash to spring for the SS watch when I got mine. Getting bored of my space gray sport.

Anyone know how I can give this thing some more pop? I have a leather band and that's nice, but I want the watch itself to stand out. Do skins look okay?

Well, if you really want it to stand out, check out the Space Orange nylon band. It should definitely pop!

I can't imagine a skin for a watch looking anything but goofy.

Top Bottom