• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Anyone get a shipping notification on theirs yet? Mine has said "preparing for shipment" for the last day or two, and still says it will deliver Friday.

Doikor

Was thinking about dropping the money for a watch 2. Then checked the local pricing (Finland) and its 479€ for the 399$ model which with the conversion comes to 535$. I guess I'm skipping again (really want the water resistance as I go swimming 2 to 3 times a week)

japtor

On things like Spotify or Amazon Music, can the watch be used to give a thumbs up/down to songs?
The Now Playing thing is basically like the Control Center controls on the phone, so whatever shows up there I think (but not sure) it shows up on the watch.

(Well that didn't answer the question but might lead you to an answer)

Wonder what kind of stock the Apple Store is going to have on Friday. I may try to surprise my girlfriend with a model if they have enough of the one she wants

mf.luder

I need help finding a case for my watch. I work construction but I bike to work and want to wear my watch as much as I can throughout the day. Obviously when I get out of the truck I'll take it off and hopefully leave it to charge. Anyone have any recommendations?

Edit: I'll clarify. I'm not looking for a rubber shell for my watch. I'm looking for like a carrying case that would be similar to Apple Watch editions charging case/dock. A protective little box.

Pachimari

Will an Apple Watch be worth getting if I'm not into fitness a lot but might be later on? I like having the time on my wrist, but about the use of apps, do those work well? Will I be able to navigate around in Google Maps on the watch without my phone now that it got GPS?

Tobor

So my dream of walking into the Apple Store tomorrow and buying an iPhone 7 Plus is dead. They won't have any.

Has anyone heard anything about the Series 2 watch? I want a SS 42mm with the sport band.

So my dream of walking into the Apple Store tomorrow and buying an iPhone 7 Plus is dead. They won't have any.

Has anyone heard anything about the Series 2 watch? I want a SS 42mm with the sport band.

I called LA store and they said they would have them available. Might be worth calling today.

SuperPac

Question for those who already are on WatchOS 3 : Are glances still a thing ? I cant find them anywhere.

No - they have been replaced by the Dock. When you hit the side button it'll bring up a dock of apps which you can choose/reorder. Apps in the dock remain in memory (same with apps that are associated with complications on your active watch face) so that information can be displayed quickly to you. You can choose which apps are in the Dock via the Watch app on your phone.

FerranMG

No - they have been replaced by the Dock. When you hit the side button it'll bring up a dock of apps which you can choose/reorder. Apps in the dock remain in memory (same with apps that are associated with complications on your active watch face) so that information can be displayed quickly to you. You can choose which apps are in the Dock via the Watch app on your phone.

How many apps can there be in the dock at the same time?
I guess there'll be a limited amount of them, right?

SuperPac

How many apps can there be in the dock at the same time?
I guess there'll be a limited amount of them, right?

Likely there is a limit - I'm not sure about that since I only keep a few in there. How many apps were you planning on throwing in the dock?

I got the OG watch recently. I went to look for watch faces and there's like... nothing. This is pretty crappy. :(

You probably could've found that out from reviews. But yeah, developers are not able to create faces. It's just the Apple faces plus complications.

tempus2-024.jpg

Seems decent.

That's a noticeable difference

Guess Who

Banned
That's a sensible amount. I'll probably only keep two or three in there though. I need to be able to access the music player within seconds at all times.

What does swiping up do right now with WatchOS3?

Control Center, which basically acts as the first page of the old Glances view (mute, airplane mode, AirPlay, etc.) with a few new features, like showing the battery level.

FerranMG

Cool, thanks!

Likely there is a limit - I'm not sure about that since I only keep a few in there. How many apps were you planning on throwing in the dock?

I was just trying to understand how this could work. :)
It makes sense to have 10 apps always running in memory. It wouldn't have made sense that they'd allow unlimited apps to go in the dock, because obviously not all of them could be running at the same time, so this would have kind of defeated the purpose of the dock.

Does the Series 1 have the speaker water ejection capability? Or is that only limited to Series 2 watches? I like to take my watches into the shower... :D

Ascenion

I'm sitting here trying to determine my odds of walking into the mall tomorrow and just pickin up an Apple Watch. I'm thinking most will be preoccupied with the damn phone.

jts

...hate me...
Does the Series 1 have the speaker water ejection capability? Or is that only limited to Series 2 watches? I like to take my watches into the shower... :D
To add to what has been said, you still can do it, but sometimes your speaker will sound tiny after it, until it naturally purges the water.

Luckily not an issue for me since I don't have any sound enabled on the Apple Watch.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Received my UPS notifications saying I have packages being delivered tomorrow.

Just a warning: these require signature.

Okay, after using the Watch (version 1.0) after laborious upgrade process, I'm really happy with it.

Apps actually work. They fire up speedily on the first version of Apple Watch. And the 'dock' feature is far better than glances now. Not every app supported glances, but every app can be docked. Because of the speed of the load of the data, it works and supports all the apps. It's a better solution.

Being able to build watch faces on the phone is also easier than on the watch. WatchOS 3 is finally what the WatchOS should have been. Better late than never, not getting this year's Apple watch. Maybe next year's, but not really sure about that. It will have to have some amazing feature like constant display and lasting a day, and I doubt that's gonna happen.

GPS and waterproofing for version 2 are definitely exciting features. They just don't do much for me.

SUPARSTARX

You probably could've found that out from reviews. But yeah, developers are not able to create faces. It's just the Apple faces plus complications.

It was a gift but yeah pretty disappointing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a sensible amount. I'll probably only keep two or three in there though. I need to be able to access the music player within seconds at all times.

What does swiping up do right now with WatchOS3?

Even if you don't have the music player in the dock, the now playing view automatically appears in there if you're playing anything (e.g. I'm playing pocket casts now and the now playing screen has play/pause, volume control and skip back 10s/forward 45s

Wasn't the first view opened when I hit the side button though - I'd like to be able to set that so it's only ever one press away. Or dedicated swipe up for that view instead of control centre. Or have a now playing complication. Or a music focused watch face showing the playing track and direct play/pause button on the face

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Anyone get a shipping notification on theirs yet? Mine has said "preparing for shipment" for the last day or two, and still says it will deliver Friday.
Yup. Apple notified me and emailed me this morning about my Friday delivery.

Have been able to track for a couple days by reference number.

lilty

So I don't have one of these, but I'm thinking of picking one up. Just a Series 1 since I don't need it to be water proof or GPS. Should I even bother trying to go to the Apple Store tomorrow without an appointment or would that be a waste of my time?

So I don't have one of these, but I'm thinking of picking one up. Just a Series 1 since I don't need it to be water proof or GPS. Should I even bother trying to go to the Apple Store tomorrow without an appointment or would that be a waste of my time?

I don't believe you can make Watch appointments

Hoo-doo

Banned
Even if you don't have the music player in the dock, the now playing view automatically appears in there if you're playing anything (e.g. I'm playing pocket casts now and the now playing screen has play/pause, volume control and skip back 10s/forward 45s

Wasn't the first view opened when I hit the side button though - I'd like to be able to set that so it's only ever one press away. Or dedicated swipe up for that view instead of control centre. Or have a now playing complication. Or a music focused watch face showing the playing track and direct play/pause button on the face

Is there a podcast app for Apple watch that lets you choose episodes of a certain show? Or at least pick 'next/previous episode'?

I can't stand Overcast as my podcast player on iPhone because it offers zero granularity on downloading/streaming and it's cluttered with fucking ads, but if it's the only podcast app with a proper watch app then i'm basically forced to use that POS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Worth noting that this is a new aluminum model compared to an old steel, and the steel models have always been slightly dimmer.
I was thinking the same, but they didn't expose either one to direct sunlight glare, so the glass/sapphire reflectance difference probably shouldn't matter here.

Top Bottom