• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

holygeesus

Banned
One very cool thing that I never appreciated about the AW is that it pushes ALL your notifications to your watch. Before buying I presumed that apps would need patching specifically to do that rather than it being a matter of course. Makes checking the football scores a lot less hassle for one thing!

japtor

Speaking of scores, I hope they allow more frequent updates for complications. Right now there's some limit per hour or per day so stuff like sports scores widgets can be a bit limited. Maybe not a huge deal for low/slow scoring sports, but definitely an issue for something like basketball.

Vuze

I love my knock off Nike band, it's what I wear at the gym. Got the grey one but kinda wish I had one of the obnoxious colors!
I've ordered one as well for sports and working outside. Also picked up a knock-off milanese and link band on aliexpress for cheapo today.
I've found a german store that sells a replica of the link band (in space grey too) but it's 150€ and I'm preeeetty sure it's just rebadged china stuff anyway and not "made in Germany" going by some non-paid reviews. Their marketing and product pics are on point though but if my suspicion is true, that's not too hard to pull off when you sell china products for a 1000% markup. Smart device accessoire market is such a swamp.

Blackhead

Redarse
It still pisses me off how poor the Apple Watch UI is. I was playing with an AndroidWear Watch and it's so much better with an iPhone music controls it's ridiculous:
chSTk2N.gif
The Android wear music controls notification automatically peeks on your watch face once audio starts playing. The screen is always on so it's only one tap to play/pause. Then it's one swipe to volume & more controls.

Meanwhile, to reach the Now Playing screen on Apple Watch:
(a slight exaggeration but you get the point)

The Apple Watch team doesn't even have to look to the other platforms, just compare to the iPhone lockscreen
Can you imagine if you had to unlock your iPhone and navigate two screens each time you wanted to play the next track or change music? It's WatchOS 3 and the Apple Watch team still hasn't figured this basic shit out. It's even worse now that Airpods have no functional music controls. I'm almost tempted to wear an Android wear watch just to control my freaking music

Vuze

It still pisses me off how poor the Apple Watch UI is. I was playing with an AndroidWear Watch and it's so much better with an iPhone music controls it's ridiculous:
Thinking about it, this could be easily solved without wrecking the current UI by simply displaying a music icon at the top of the screen like they do it when working out imo.
I'll suggest it using their feedback form.

8bit

Knows the Score

The Android wear music controls notification automatically peeks on your watch face once audio starts playing. The screen is always on so it's only one tap to play/pause. Then it's one swipe to volume & more controls.

Meanwhile, to reach the Now Playing screen on Apple Watch:

(a slight exaggeration but you get the point)

The Apple Watch team doesn't even have to look to the other platforms, just compare to the iPhone lockscreen

Can you imagine if you had to unlock your iPhone and navigate two screens each time you wanted to play the next track or change music? It's WatchOS 3 and the Apple Watch team still hasn't figured this basic shit out. It's even worse now that Airpods have no functional music controls. I'm almost tempted to wear an Android wear watch just to control my freaking music

Put the music complication on the watch face.

Blackhead

Redarse
Put the music complication on the watch face.
Only works for the Apple Music app. Android Wear / iPhone lockscreen controls etc work for any audio app (podcasts, spotity etc including Apple Music). And even if you're only using Apple Music, the music complication doesn't include any controls and is still slower than Android Wear /iPhone lockscreen controls

Chorazin

I really wish there was a Now Playing complication too! I guess this is their way to try and force people into using Apple Music, which fucking sucks.

japtor

Thinking about it, this could be easily solved without wrecking the current UI by simply displaying a music icon at the top of the screen like they do it when working out imo.
I'll suggest it using their feedback form.
Huh didn't even realize that acted as a button, thought it was just another indicator thing like the red dot. They should have something like that when navigating too, basically the "in session" apps.

And as for things from iOS, another simple thing would be the expanded control center, just have now playing controls on another pane to the side. It'd basically be like the old watchOS now playing glance (which I think predates the current multi pane control center setup).

Huh didn't even realize that acted as a button, thought it was just another indicator thing like the red dot. They should have something like that when navigating too, basically the "in session" apps.

And as for things from iOS, another simple thing would be the expanded control center, just have now playing controls on another pane to the side. It'd basically be like the old watchOS now playing glance (which I think predates the current multi pane control center setup).

The Now Playing control center card has to be coming in watchOS4, along with a Now Playing complication. They just have to.

japtor

I've played ball with it since it came out I guess, haven't had a problem. Might've been a scare or two on random falls, but I feel like it's in a spot that isn't an issue since it seems more likely your hand/wrist or your upper arm will hit the ground first.

I did scratch the shit out of space black (and a minor scratch in the sapphire) during indoor rock climbing though. Poor technique caused by hand fatigue at the time, kinda gripping with my wrists and basically grinded the face against the wall, could hear it loud and clear too.

yea having to unlock the watch and navigate through screens to change music on it is super annoying. also really wish there was a spotify app.

Sorry, double post. Little help, here? My Beats X are connected to my phone but my watch won't pair with them and says they're not turned on or in range. Anyone have similar issues and know how to solve?

Edit: duh. A reboot fixed it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a beard etc and when I drink beer it gets a little soaked... but I also sometimes wipe my mouth with my left hand which makes my watch covered in gross dry beer marks sometimes. My watch really is disgusting. I want to take some hires scans of it so you can see just how bad it is.

I've got a beard etc and when I drink beer it gets a little soaked... but I also sometimes wipe my mouth with my left hand which makes my watch covered in gross dry beer marks sometimes. My watch really is disgusting. I want to take some hires scans of it so you can see just how bad it is.
tumblr_inline_ohr11mHlmH1r6fzbq_500.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thats what's so dope about it! You just run it under the sink. The leather on the other hand... but apples leather was bullshit anyway.

jts

...hate me...
I'm kinda done with the sport band, getting uncomfortable with it lately and want something more breathable.

Is the woven nylon band it?

pbsapeer

Banned
I'm kinda done with the sport band, getting uncomfortable with it lately and want something more breathable.

I want one of the Nike bands but are the rip off ones decent or poor quality? Anyone got experience?

jts

...hate me...
I want one of the Nike bands but are the rip off ones decent or poor quality? Anyone got experience?

I only have experience with the regular sport band knock-offs. They make my skin itch and become reddish after a few days. Also the band connector mechanism is poor compared to the official one. Much harder to get in and out.

To be fair, this is based after exactly one ebay sport band knock-off seller (from which I ordered several colours). Will not order again.

SuperPac

The woven nylon bands are awesome. I wore the sport band for a long time but once I switched to the nylon I don't imagine going back. It breathes really well - way more comfortable than any other band Apple offers.

Vuze

I only have experience with the regular sport band knock-offs. They make my skin itch and become reddish after a few days. Also the band connector mechanism is poor compared to the official one. Much harder to get in and out.

To be fair, this is based after exactly one ebay sport band knock-off seller (from which I ordered several colours). Will not order again.
Yeah, I sorta regret ordering that cheapo Nike band off eBay the other day. Especially after that "sweat infomercial" by Apple the other day and reading a watch producer's blog on the high quality materials they use for the sports bands.
Also recalled a documentary about ripoff Crocs I watched and remembered what they said about sweating and the dirt cheap plasticizers used to make them soft (carcinogenic etc). Not exactly ideal since I was planning to use it for sports and casual wear. Ordered the Apple Nike band, should be here tomorrow. It's not like the sports/Nike bands are extremely expensive like the link bands.

If you really want a good running watch you are better off with a Garmin or TomTom. The Apple Watch is a superior smart watch but an average fitness device.

Oh I have an Apple Watch and I agree for exercise its basic, perhaps too basic, but it's (just) good enough for what I need it for, which are fairly standard morning runs along the same route.
My Watch is scratched and I'm just looking for an excuse to replace it :p

I'll check out what Garmin and TomTom offer though, curiosity had me recently looking at the latest Samsung watch and my thoughts were pretty much: 'I wish the Apple Watch did that... and that... and that... that too...'

Oh I have an Apple Watch and I agree for exercise its basic, perhaps too basic, but it's (just) good enough for what I need it for, which are fairly standard morning runs along the same route.
My Watch is scratched and I'm just looking for an excuse to replace it :p

I'll check out what Garmin and TomTom offer though, curiosity had me recently looking at the latest Samsung watch and my thoughts were pretty much: 'I wish the Apple Watch did that... and that... and that... that too...'

I got a Fenix 5. Ran my first half marathon with it today and it was almost dead on. This was in contrast to my AW2 which was 0.6 miles off last race. That may not seem like much but it completely messes up pacing. Some lower cost options may be the Fenix 3, something in the forerunner series or a Vivosmart.

I got a Fenix 5. Ran my first half marathon with it today and it was almost dead on. This was in contrast to my AW2 which was 0.6 miles off last race. That may not seem like much but it completely messes up pacing. Some lower cost options may be the Fenix 3, something in the forerunner series or a Vivosmart.

Watching the London Marathon yesterday has inspired me to begin training for next years so this may all be serendipity, thanks for the recommendations I'll check them out for sure :)

So my digital crown is sticking, and it's making me mental. I've got a Series 2 space gray aluminum. Best option is to run it under a faucet with warm water, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So my digital crown is sticking, and it's making me mental. I've got a Series 2 space gray aluminum. Best option is to run it under a faucet with warm water, right?

Yup, that should fix it very quickly. It happened quite often when my watch was brand new but over time it stopped happening.

Top Bottom