• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

japtor

my wife has the first generation watch and I have the newest one. Since the update a few weeks ago at the end of the day her watch is at about 5% battery and mine is still at 60%. we use it about the same and in the same ways. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what it could be?
How long has she had it? If it's within the warranty period you could take it in (or ask about it) and see if the battery might be failing beyond normal battery wear and hopefully get it replaced.

Or hope it's expanding:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/28/apple-watch-expanded-swollen-battery-repair-coverage-warranty/

my wife has the first generation watch and I have the newest one. Since the update a few weeks ago at the end of the day her watch is at about 5% battery and mine is still at 60%. we use it about the same and in the same ways. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what it could be?

If you want to save a trip you can call into AppleCare and they can run a battery diagnostics on the watch remotely as long as the paired phone is on wifi. That should give you a good starting point for what's happening

Keep in mind that batteries do age, so depending on how long she's had it there would be a discrepancy between her S0 and your S2

I've felt my first gen battery has been worse too. I charge over night and it's usually around 50% at the end of the day, it's at 42% right now.

japtor

Thank you for all the answers! a multi timer app is exactly what I'm looking for to use in the kitchen.
I just checked now and it looks like there's a few...not sure if they're any good but they exist. You can look at them on the store before getting the watch I think btw.

Blackhead

Redarse

I've felt my first gen battery has been worse too. I charge over night and it's usually around 50% at the end of the day, it's at 42% right now.

Casey Liss said the same thing recently on an ATP episode and asked listeners to chime in if they were experiencing lower battery with their Gen 0 as well. Quite a few did

maruchan

I got my serries 1 about month ago, when target had that major price mistake for 160 for the 42mm..

thanks to you guys i bought that eva 01 band its nice. reminded me of that eva 01 g shock that came out years ago..
siSWyqX.jpg

img58943921.jpg

Karish

Got 42MM Gold Series 1 for $200 today on Macys.com :)

If somoene wants my Series 7000 38MM Silver sport PM me. Would sell for $100 shipped to someone in this thread.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I love my watch. But at two years going on three years I can say I don't plan on shelling out for a new one anytime soon. Especially since the Apps have withered on the vine. For notifications I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. I guess the watch has gotten dumber as its gone on.. but thats not quite a bad thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Other than a cosmetic update, I'm pretty happy with my watch as is. Not sure what hardware features they could add that would make me bite. Physical appearance is my main desire right now. Mostly slimming it down.

hirokazu

Other than a cosmetic update, I'm pretty happy with my watch as is. Not sure what hardware features they could add that would make me bite. Physical appearance is my main desire right now. Mostly slimming it down.
There's still a bunch of usability issues with the Watch that I'd like solved. Map tiles often take forever to load or don't load at all in the Maps and Find My Friends apps for example. Or the fact that the Home screen is impossible to organise without giving up in utter frustration.

I submit feedback to Apple from time to time and hope they're taking notes.

When I set group texts to "do not disturb" on my phone, I still get notified on my watch, even when Messages are set to mirror phone settings.

Any way around this? It's obnoxious.

That's weird, mine does not do that at all.

Setting DND on specific text chains sometimes doesn't even work on the phone. Disabling and reenabling DND will fix it, so I just tried that hoping it'll fix the Watch notifications too.

edit: didn't work. Watch is still buzzing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I love my watch. But at two years going on three years I can say I don't plan on shelling out for a new one anytime soon. Especially since the Apps have withered on the vine. For notifications I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. I guess the watch has gotten dumber as its gone on.. but thats not quite a bad thing.

Same. I hope they don't artificially restrict features from the OG. It's mostly a notification machine so it should be able to manage that on the OG. I like my stainless steel but cant justify the price of whatever new model they release so I need this to last at least a few more years.

I really just want decent music controls/complication and a pocket casts app and I'll be set

hirokazu

Same. I hope they don't artificially restrict features from the OG. It's mostly a notification machine so it should be able to manage that on the OG. I like my stainless steel but cant justify the price of whatever new model they release so I need this to last at least a few more years.

I really just want decent music controls/complication and a pocket casts app and I'll be set
The problem with apps is that most of them are too fucking slow to be useful. I don't know if that's a problem with needing to fetch data off Bluetooth via the iPhone or whether the CPU just doesn't cut it, or if they can solve it by changing the way the software works for existing Apple Watches.

Because of that, there's low usage of third party apps, whose developers then see the low metrics and don't bother putting effort into their Apple Watch app.

The only solution is to make apps not be so frustratingly slow and unusable.

Vuze

The problem with apps is that most of them are too fucking slow to be useful. I don't know if that's a problem with needing to fetch data off Bluetooth via the iPhone or whether the CPU just doesn't cut it, or if they can solve it by changing the way the software works for existing Apple Watches.

Because of that, there's low usage of third party apps, whose developers then see the low metrics and don't bother putting effort into their Apple Watch app.

The only solution is to make apps not be so frustratingly slow and unusable.
Yeah, it certainly doesn't help that there's a huge amount of apps with watch functionality around that have just received the treatment during the initial 2015 rush but haven't been updated since (aka don't run natively on the watch).

But I mean, I'm not sure what else I'd want app-wise right now. A lot of stuff just isn't fitting for the form factor.

hirokazu

Yeah, it certainly doesn't help that there's a huge amount of apps with watch functionality around that have just received the treatment during the initial 2015 rush but haven't been updated since (aka don't run natively on the watch).

But I mean, I'm not sure what else I'd want app-wise right now. A lot of stuff just isn't fitting for the form factor.
I've already mentioned above, but even Apple's own Maps and Find My Friends are often either too slow to load map tiles or don't load them at all.

Most of the public transport apps I've tried are either too slow or don't have the functions I'd expect. For example, one displays the next services for the closest stop... except when I tried it, it displayed the wrong stop and there was no option to choose a different one. Things like that just make it all pointless.

Vuze

I've already mentioned above, but even Apple's own Maps and Find My Friends are often either too slow to load map tiles or don't load them at all.

Most of the public transport apps I've tried are either too slow or don't have the functions I'd expect. For example, one displays the next services for the closest stop... except when I tried it, it displayed the wrong stop and there was no option to choose a different one. Things like that just make it all pointless.
Yeah, the Deutsche Bahn (train) app is also stupid af. You have to set the line you're intending to ride on your phone and only then you can see the info on the watch. Utterly useless for daily routine trips.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't really what you're asking for, but I used a podcast for couch to 5k. Podrunner: Intervals gives you each of the runs you need to get to 5k and changes the music up when you're supposed to walk/run. You could listen to that and just track along with the Workout app on its own.

Thanks for this. I grabbed at 38mm Nike+ Edition (black band) yesterday at Best Buy ($70 off in a sale) and was surprised that it seemed none of the couch to 5k options would work without taking the phone with you. Odd since they're just time-based intervals. So I just used that and tracked with the Nike Run Club App.

I'm loving the watch so far, despite a few hiccups. Namely it was a super pain to get those MP3s synced. It would just get stuck on sync pending, or say syncing and never start the percentage indicator. And yes I had it on the charger. :D Eventually just found some posts saying to just reset phone and watch and un-pair and re-pair watch and it worked first try after that. So hopefully that's sorted.

I also get some drop outs with my Bluetooth headset (Senso Active Buds S250). I'm guessing it's just interference (near tons of houses and apartments so tons of wifi etc.), but annoying since they work fine with my phone in the same running route. With the Apple watch it's fine when running with my wrist around my waist, but I get some drop outs when walking with my arm extended at my side.

Anyway, overall I still dig the watch a lot. Worst comes to worst I'll just wear my water belt or a fanny pack on runs and stick my phone in there. I was hoping to not have to lug the phone, but Series 2 still seems more useful when paired with phone rather than used alone I guess.

The Nike Run Club App seems great so far. Easy to read even in the sun, I like the achievements and tracking of personal bests etc. I'm not sure about all the coaching options, how good those are, if they work without phone etc. Honestly don't know that I'll use them as even when I was running 5Ks and 10Ks semi-regularly I didn't really bother with speed workouts etc. and just didn't distance based buildups to races so simple run tracking is fine for me. Only missing feature is I wish it could display average pace instead of current pace as those estimates aren't that useful since they jump around a ton (same on my old Garmin Forerunner).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah it's so sad how true this is. Especially on a series0. Maps is actually pretty decent if you only interact with it through Siri and use the turn by turn cards. But I don't even know why they included the visual map. There was one time back when it first came out that I used it while riding my bike and it actually did stream in along the way. But it hasn't worked any time in recent memory. I try every once in a while just to see if anything changed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Considering selling my 6S+ while it's still an actively sold Apple phone and before the announcement of new ones to keep the value higher. I have an old android in a drawer I can use, but how well would it work with my Apple Watch?

My main requirements are text notifications (don't care about replying, just notifications as my phone is on silent at work), and activity tracking.

Will big of those still work? I can live with activity tracking just checking in my daily steps/calories/minutes active and I don't need it logged on the phone.

My alternative secret plan is to switch to a 6S I just bought for my sons birthday at the end of August before giving it to him (it's already used butnin great condition)

Considering selling my 6S+ while it's still an actively sold Apple phone and before the announcement of new ones to keep the value higher. I have an old android in a drawer I can use, but how well would it work with my Apple Watch?

My main requirements are text notifications (don't care about replying, just notifications as my phone is on silent at work), and activity tracking.

Will big of those still work? I can live with activity tracking just checking in my daily steps/calories/minutes active and I don't need it logged on the phone.

It's gonna be janky as hell. If you don't erase the Watch it will still be "paired" to your iPhone 6S even when that phone is gone. It'll connect to any wifi networks that your phone was connected to when your watch was around previously. Activity tracking and Apple Pay will still work. Certain notifications and native Watch apps will work on wifi but there is no way to get any information to the watch from an android phone. No updates and you won't be able to install any new apps and change a lot of settings without an iPhone

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well it only has to get me by until September (hopefully)

If I change to a different iPhone is that transfer painless?

8bit

Knows the Score
I have an old android in a drawer I can use, but how well would it work with my Apple Watch?

There's no Apple Watch app for Android, so it might not be great.

On a related note I'm considering changing my work iPhone 5 for an iPhone 7 soon, anyone know if the transfer is straightforward?

Well it only has to get me by until September (hopefully)

If I change to a different iPhone is that transfer painless?

A watch can technically only be paired to one phone at a time. So what I would do is unpair from the first phone (unpairing a watch makes a backup of that watch on the phone), make a backup of the phone, then restore the backup of the phone to a new phone, then reconnect the Watch and restore that backup

Vuze

Just make sure you unpair the Watch before doing anything else. This will create a backup of the Watch on your phone which will be included in the backup of your phone you will hopefully do before switching over. Then setup your new iPhone and restore from backup. After that's done, you can re-pair the Watch to the new phone and restore that from the earlier backup.

The process takes ages (I've been through a restore recently since I upgraded to a SS from my Alu model... looks and feels lovely btw) but it worked flawless on my end.

E: b10

...Only missing feature is I wish it could display average pace instead of current pace as those estimates aren't that useful since they jump around a ton (same on my old Garmin Forerunner).

Welcome to the club! :)
You can do this btw:

Watch (App on iPhone) > Workout > Workout View > Outdoor Run

With Multiple Metrics selected, the above option will allow you to choose up to five stats including average pace.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to the club! :)
You can do this btw:

Watch (App on iPhone) > Workout > Workout View > Outdoor Run

With Multiple Metrics selected, the above option will allow you to choose up to five stats including average pace.

I know. I just prefer using the Nike app to the workout app as it has the nifty lifetime tracking features (longest run, fast km, fastest mile, club rank ups for hitting certain milestones etc.).

Is there a known bug with setting alarms with your voice? I'll say "Siri, set an alarm for 6:50AM tomorrow morning", and it just freezes and nothing happens.

Top Bottom