• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Anyone know the best couch to 5K app? Preferably one that reads heart rate and writes as a workout to the activity app. I'm using the "official" one right now but the watch app is horrendous so I don't even bother and I end up trying to balance the notifications telling me when to run and walk with the built in workout app. Can be less than ideal, would even be willing to pay for more seamless solution with a really great watch app

Aiii

So not worth it
New bands came in...
img_06475ru67.jpg
img_06508iuvb.jpg
img_0649qeuo8.jpg
The red could be brighter, but absolutely love the purple one.

Doodis

Anyone know the best couch to 5K app? Preferably one that reads heart rate and writes as a workout to the activity app. I'm using the "official" one right now but the watch app is horrendous so I don't even bother and I end up trying to balance the notifications telling me when to run and walk with the built in workout app. Can be less than ideal, would even be willing to pay for more seamless solution with a really great watch app

This isn't really what you're asking for, but I used a podcast for couch to 5k. Podrunner: Intervals gives you each of the runs you need to get to 5k and changes the music up when you're supposed to walk/run. You could listen to that and just track along with the Workout app on its own.

This isn't really what you're asking for, but I used a podcast for couch to 5k. Podrunner: Intervals gives you each of the runs you need to get to 5k and changes the music up when you're supposed to walk/run. You could listen to that and just track along with the Workout app on its own.

I'll check it out, thank you!

Edit: I have it loaded in Overcast and I'm headed to the gym now.

Side-note, every time I flirt with the idea of going to the gym JUST with my Watch, it sounds super appealing but then I get psyched out by the thought of emergencies, either something happening to me or to a family member who needs to get a hold of me. The second a cellular option becomes available I'm all over it, and would pay top dollar for it too. Black ceramic cellular would be like $1,500 given the price increase for cellular iPads and the black stainless steel, but I can make that work.

Vuze

Been listening to a podcast for the first time in ages and found I wanted to skip a segment with them now playing app - is this not possible anymore? There's a pic of a slightly differently designed now playing app on the very first page of this thread, probably from an earlier watchOS version and it has 30s skips. The current one only has forward / backward though. Holding these much like on iOS doesn't seem to do anything except ultimately skipping the track as a whole. Am I missing sth?

To be clear, I was playing the cast on the iPhone native podcast app and merely wanted to use the Watch as remote.

Blackhead

Redarse
Been listening to a podcast for the first time in ages and found I wanted to skip a segment with them now playing app - is this not possible anymore? There's a pic of a slightly differently designed now playing app on the very first page of this thread, probably from an earlier watchOS version and it has 30s skips. The current one only has forward / backward though. Holding these much like on iOS doesn't seem to do anything except ultimately skipping the track as a whole. Am I missing sth?

To be clear, I was playing the cast on the iPhone native podcast app and merely wanted to use the Watch as remote.

I just tested with the Apple Podcast app and with Castro and both show me 15s/30s skips in the Now Playing Glance. May be it's the podcast?

Side-note, every time I flirt with the idea of going to the gym JUST with my Watch, it sounds super appealing but then I get psyched out by the thought of emergencies, either something happening to me or to a family member who needs to get a hold of me. The second a cellular option becomes available I'm all over it, and would pay top dollar for it too. Black ceramic cellular would be like $1,500 given the price increase for cellular iPads and the black stainless steel, but I can make that work.
I'm even more hyped for the cellular Apple Watch than the rumored iPhone '8'. My setup now is that my iPhone is completely silent; I even turned off lockscreen notifications for all apps (except the phone — there's no way to stop calls taking over the fullscreen without jailbreaking). With a cellular Apple watch I'd leave my iPhone at home all the time and carry around an iPad/Note8 around instead

I don't know about spending $1,500 on an Apple watch you'd upgrade every year though. I don't see the point of ceramic lol

I know we discussed this earlier in the thread, but I still can't wrap my head around it. So if you go to the gym (let's say in this case it's like 5 blocks from your apartment), and your phone is at home, and connected to wi-fi, doesn't that mean you can text/get phone calls, etc from your Watch? Or am I misunderstanding?

Chorazin

Am I the only one that takes a gym bag with him from station to station? I throw my phone in there and set it off to the side. Works great, and has all the shit I need for the gym.

I know we discussed this earlier in the thread, but I still can't wrap my head around it. So if you go to the gym (let's say in this case it's like 5 blocks from your apartment), and your phone is at home, and connected to wi-fi, doesn't that mean you can text/get phone calls, etc from your Watch? Or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah going to work, the gym, a friends/relatives, etc is absolutely no problem phone-less and I've done it often.
As soon as I step in the door my Watch connects and it's business as usual.
Yesterday though I went for a run with just the Watch and came back to 5 missed calls and my brother waiting at my door.
Would've been handy to take a call on the Watch then :p

Vuze

I just tested with the Apple Podcast app and with Castro and both show me 15s/30s skips in the Now Playing Glance. May be it's the podcast?

I'm even more hyped for the cellular Apple Watch than the rumored iPhone '8'. My setup now is that my iPhone is completely silent; I even turned off lockscreen notifications for all apps (except the phone — there's no way to stop calls taking over the fullscreen without jailbreaking). With a cellular Apple watch I'd leave my iPhone at home all the time and carry around an iPad/Note8 around instead

I don't know about spending $1,500 on an Apple watch you'd upgrade every year though. I don't see the point of ceramic lol
Huh yeah, interesting, I just tried it again and it shows 15s skips now. Maybe it didn't sync properly back then, I was listening to music beforehand.

That is how it works if you have wifi calling enabled, which I do. But I'm also talking about the times when I'm not on wifi, like the drive itself or if I go running outdoors or something like that.

I'm actually going to test going to the gym without my phone soon and see how it feels.

Am I the only one that takes a gym bag with him from station to station? I throw my phone in there and set it off to the side. Works great, and has all the shit I need for the gym.

I don't bring a gym bag at the moment, but you have got me thinking about what to do with my wallet and keys when I'm at a station other than a treadmill..

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it just me or does the Watch notification action for Apple's Mail app say "Mark as Unread"? I switched from Airmail back to Apple Mail but might have to switch again... any recommendations?

Is it normal that after a run I only see the calories on my Apple health and activity apps and not strava, and if I look at the specific Strava session on the Apple activity app, it says 0 calories? Is it because the session page refers to calories registered by strava with third party equipment and not the Apple Watch itself?
Some screens so it's more clear:

Is it normal that after a run I only see the calories on my Apple health and activity apps and not strava, and if I look at the specific Strava session on the Apple activity app, it says 0 calories? Is it because the session page refers to calories registered by strava with third party equipment and not the Apple Watch itself?
Some screens so it's more clear:

Unfortunately. Syncing between things like Strava and Garmin is horrible. It will often count exercise data but not calories, despite those metrics being turned on. If I run with my Garmin watch, despite syncing being on, the activity app never reflects the full details.

Vuze

Damn just seen this on reddit: Apple stores in South Africa are/have been selling the space black link bracelet in both sizes for ~68€ today. Like... wtf. You could almost buy 10 for the price of one here. Regular price is comparable btw, no idea why they have this one and other more expensive bands like milanaise and leather buckle on sale for 70 bucks?

Unfortunately. Syncing between things like Strava and Garmin is horrible. It will often count exercise data but not calories, despite those metrics being turned on. If I run with my Garmin watch, despite syncing being on, the activity app never reflects the full details.

I'm seeing right now, it's a real mess. Now with my latest run I can see the calories on Strava, even though are different from the Apple Watch probably because (I hope) Strava tells me ALL the calories and the Apple Watch just the active ones.

I'm a bit disappointed, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Please stick with me one second, I need to understand what's wrong and how to read these statistics in a decent way.

For example, lets look at the resting calories:
27: This is the day I activated the watch at 9 am. 1hour run, and the day spent studying at home. 1186+418 active calories from a run and something else I guess.
28:Day spent studying at home and nothing else. 1860+ 147 active calories from I don't know what.
29: Today, 40m run, you can see the time, it's just 13:58. 1098+357 from a run.

Is it possible? Lazy days but so many calories...
And I don't wear the watch during the night, so it covers those hours with 77 resting calories per hour... is it too much?

Also, having the calories data from strava is actually worse, because Strava for my run today it says 500+, which is probably both active and resting, but the activity app took this number for active only, so in the total it counts the resting ones for the run twice.

Which brings me to my second question:
With this time, pace, heart rate, km, etc... what's more plausible, 500something maybe active+resting (as Strava says), or 300something just active(as the Apple health or Activity apps say), or maybe both?

If it is so far off, this watch is totally useless to me.

Just wanted to follow up and say thank you, Podrunner is awesome. Been making the runs and keeping with a beat a breeze. Thanks for spreading the word!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Mine arrived today and early thoughts are largely positive, in terms of design and build - 38mm is spot on for my toothpick wrists. However, notifications from apps don't seem to be happening. BBC News flashes, for example, comes through on my iPhone but not on my wrist, which kinda defeats the purpose.

would you mind telling me how big your wrists are?
mine are around 17.5-18cm in diameter..I just can't decide between 38mm and 42mm.

edit: actually, I'd like to ask you all that question..anyone here with my wrist size? what did you get?

Blackhead

Redarse
Pcalc makes the watch calculator app right? I was in a pinch today when I realised apple doesn't include the default. I wonder why?

Where can I find good+cheap sport bands?

Chorazin

I don't bring a gym bag at the moment, but you have got me thinking about what to do with my wallet and keys when I'm at a station other than a treadmill..

Dude get a freakin' gym bag. Like a 20L small one is perfect. Mine has my Nalgene bottle, knee and elbow sleeves, fractional plates, heaphones, sweat towel, a massage roller, keys/wallet/gym ID card. I just take it from station to station or leave it in the corner, my phone laying inside. It's so handy and i never need to stop working out and go to the locker room if I need something, it's right there.

Vuze

Pcalc makes the watch calculator app right? I was in a pinch today when I realised apple doesn't include the default. I wonder why?

Where can I find good+cheap sport bands?
Probably they are (rightfully) thinking the screen is too small for a calculator. I started using MiniCalc a few weeks ago. Operations are swipe gestures to enable bigger number buttons. If you need more than basic operations it won't suffice however.

tizicalc is the best by far. Colorful theme options, big enough targets for all the buttons on one screen, and no annoying swipe gestures to memorize.

IMG_1724.png

Siri on Apple Watch has never risen above only occasionally functional for me. Terrible experience compared to using the phone.

Oh man, Siri is essential for me on the Watch!
I use it multiple times daily, the Watch would be far less compelling and useful without it. I'm pretty fortunate it seems, I literally can't remember the last time it misheard me or hasn't worked. My favourite thing about the Watch by far.

Oh man, Siri is essential for me on the Watch!
I use it multiple times daily, the Watch would be far less compelling and useful without it. I'm pretty fortunate it seems, I literally can't remember the last time it misheard me or hasn't worked. My favourite thing about the Watch by far.

Same. I've always had great luck with Siri on any device. I use it to set timers, alarms, calculations, currency conversions, and dictate messages. I wonder why it works well for some and not for others.

Same. I've always had great luck with Siri on any device. I use it to set timers, alarms, calculations, currency conversions, and dictate messages. I wonder why it works well for some and not for others.

I use Siri constantly, but I understand that the biggest weakness of it is the lack of consistency. I would say I have a 90% success rate in getting what I ask for but there are a few things I'll say that worked two weeks ago but don't work now, even though I'm using the exact same phrasing. That's the frustrating thing. Siri will capture my words just fine (most of the time) but the server that handles intent is where it breaks down, when it does

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
my godfather just moved in a retirement home/nursing home for the elderly and just got his first iphone and macbook pro. I helped him with everything, ordered him all the stuff, explained everything and I'm his telephone support.

I also managed that he gets his broadband internet installed and everything. I never expected to get something in return. I'm just happy that he can be a closer part of the family again thanks to technology...buuuuut:

as a thank you, he bought me an apple watch 42mm nike+ which will arrive for pick up today...and now I'm here asking:

any good apps for people who cook a lot?

also, what kind of app do you guys use for tracking your sleep? I read good things about pillow.

Can't wait :D

my godfather just moved in a retirement home/nursing home for the elderly and just got his first iphone and macbook pro. I helped him with everything, ordered him all the stuff, explained everything and I'm his telephone support.

I also managed that he gets his broadband internet installed and everything. I never expected to get something in return. I'm just happy that he can be a closer part of the family again thanks to technology...buuuuut:

as a thank you, he bought me an apple watch 42mm nike+ which will arrive for pick up today...and now I'm here asking:

also, what kind of app do you guys use for tracking your sleep? I read good things about pillow.

What kind of cooking functionality are you looking for?

I've used both Pillow and AutoSleep and came away disliking both. I'm just waiting for the native solution at this point to be honest. For now I use my watch as a vibration wrist alarm in the morning and just don't track anything

Can't help you in the cooking apps, but I use AutoSleep every night and quite like it. I found it to be very accurate, and they are pretty good about releasing fairly frequent updates.

D6AMIA6N

I've been a mechanical watch fan forever, but felt compelled to buy an Apple Watch Series 2 after I bought one for my wife. It is slick and very cool, but honestly, I just can't commit to it. If anyone is interested, it is in mint condition with Apple Care, 38mm Silver aluminum with white sport band. PM me!

japtor

Not sure about cooking specific stuff (although that probably exists), but just having a timer is useful. You can stick it on the face as a complication, and you can start a timer with Siri pretty easily.

I'm not sure if it exists for the watch (yet?), but I remember a few multi timer apps (for multiple simultaneous countdowns) for iPhone that'd probably be useful too if they exist on the watch.

my wife has the first generation watch and I have the newest one. Since the update a few weeks ago at the end of the day her watch is at about 5% battery and mine is still at 60%. we use it about the same and in the same ways. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what it could be?

Top Bottom