• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Will Debut New Apple TV In September

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will absolutely pay $150-200 for a slightly better apple TV. my apple TV 3 cost me like 8000 yen (about $65 today) in 2012 and it's been one of the most-used devices i've ever bought, despite having the interface from hell.

i will absolutely pay $150-200 for a slightly better apple TV. my apple TV 3 cost me like 8000 yen (about $65 today) in 2012 and it's been one of the most-used devices i've ever bought, despite having the interface from hell.

Yep. AirPlay is just great, and a great new remote will make it *really* excellent.

I *would* be interested to see a sort of AirPlay 2.0. Not just for a Sonos competitor, but also, for example, it'd be neat to have Bluetooth headphones smartly switch sources from your phone to your TV and back when you start playing media on one or the other. Even though that functionality would probably be Beats-exclusive for a couple of months or something dumb like that.

Juice

I anticipate a $150-200 price point and I will probably buy 3 of them to ditch my 3 existing apple tvs in one fell swoop.

Without the big monthly TV subscription I don't see them loss-leading the thing in advance, but once that comes out I wouldn't be shocked by a price drop

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I anticipate a $150-200 price point and I will probably buy 3 of them to ditch my 3 existing apple tvs in one fell swoop.

Without the big monthly TV subscription I don't see them loss-leading the thing in advance, but once that comes out I wouldn't be shocked by a price drop

Have not been keeping up, but why in the world would it be $150

I kinda hope the box itself has a microphone and speaker for Siri too, because I'd like for it to be able to ping my remote for me.

Also curious to see how the remote is powered. Apple seems to be opting for their wireless keyboards/trackpads/mice to go Li-ion/charger really soon, so I kinda doubt that it'll be powered by AA batteries, but I wonder how its form factor would be suited to charging. Maybe setting it down on top of the AppleTV to charge via a contact, like the Apple Watch? I dunno.

Troy

Banned
Why's Roku Netflix better? Just curious, haven't used it.

I haven't used the Roku Netflix app, but considering Apple's implementation of it is god awful, it wouldn't be difficult to be better. I assume Roku is running the standard app that most devices are running lately. Not sure why they never bothered to update the Apple TV app, but it's about time they do.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't used the Roku Netflix app, but considering Apple's implementation of it is god awful, it wouldn't be difficult to be better. I assume Roku is running the standard app that most devices are running lately. Not sure why they never bothered to update the Apple TV app, but it's about time they do.

I've only used the Apple TV app and have never had problems. What exactly am I missing out on? Is the "standard app" the same as the web interface, or something totally different?

If there's an app store, I imagine it'll be pretty easy for Netflix to update the app. The ball will be entirely in their court (vs. I think right now it's ultimately Apple that's responsible for launching updates to apps on the Apple TV 3).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. Isn't the standard Netflix app generally regarded as fucking abysmal? I've never met ANYONE who actually likes it (the UI, not the service)

Apple TV on the other hand is clean, concise, uniform, and fast. Multiple family members have said "well I'm on PS4, I might as well just use Netflix here" only to switch the stereo over to the Apple TV after seconds because the standard UI is so atrocious.

SMattera

I feel like I'm in bizarro world. Isn't the standard Netflix app generally regarded as fucking abysmal? I've never met ANYONE who actually likes it (the UI, not the service)

Apple TV on the other hand is clean, concise, uniform, and fast. Multiple family members have said "well I'm on PS4, I might as well just use Netflix here" only to switch the stereo over to the Apple TV after seconds because the standard UI is so atrocious.

I think you're in the minority. The app on Apple TV is widely regarded as terrible.

I sold my Apple TV about 3 months ago, but IIRC, it doesn't even auto-play next episodes does it?

Deku Tree

We watch Netflix on our Samsung bluray player instead of our ATV2. The interface and responsiveness is much better, I'm sad to say. Actually Netflix and YouTube are the main uses of our Samsung bluray, it's much better than our ATV for both.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think you're in the minority. The app on Apple TV is widely regarded as terrible.

I sold my Apple TV about 3 months ago, but IIRC, it doesn't even auto-play next episodes does it?

It really is not that bad, and I have never complained about the Netflix app being designed. I am not sure if Netflix autoplays on Apple TV, I do know that Hulu does, because my girlfriend leaves it on all night to help her sleep.

Why would anyone pat $150 for the Apple TV though? Why does it need to have the same things inside an iphone? Why does it need a screen?

It does autoplay next episode. Mine has been doing it for at least a year or two..

Anyway I agree with him. I have no idea what people's issue is with the Apple TV Netflix app. It's by far the easiest to navigate for me. The Roku app and the standard apps are a mess. Well actually the standard app is alright, but the Roku app is terrible. I love my Roku for Plex, but every app on that device is designed so terribly.

SMattera

It really is not that bad, and I have never complained about the Netflix app being designed. I am not sure if Netflix autoplays on Apple TV, I do know that Hulu does, because my girlfriend leaves it on all night to help her sleep.

Why would anyone pat $150 for the Apple TV though? Why does it need to have the same things inside an iphone? Why does it need a screen?

Because it's going to play games and run the smart modules in your home.

It does autoplay next episode. Mine has been doing it for at least a year or two..

Anyway I agree with him. I have no idea what people's issue is with the Apple TV Netflix app. It's by far the easiest to navigate for me. The Roku app and the standard apps are a mess.

After I got the Xbox One, I pretty much stopped using the Apple TV. Personal preference is personal preference, but I found it terrible. Tons of wasted space. Nested menus inside of nest menus. Ugh.

They updated the Roku to the standard Netflix app at some point in the recent past. But yeah, I prefer Apple TV layout for things like HBO Go.

Call me crazy, but I never really had a problem with the Netflix app on ATV. My wife andI watch shows on it all the time. the only time it doesn't autoplay next episodes is when you hit the end of a season.

That said, I would need a _really_ compelling reason to upgrade from my current apple tv. It works great and I haven't felt any need to upgrade.

Troy

Banned

No, the Netflix app currently running on Fire TV, Xbox consoles, Playstation consoles etc etc is not generally regarded as abysmal. In fact it's really quite good. The Apple TV app in comparison, however, is terrible. I wish they'd update it.

McHuj

I really hope the new AppleTV adds something new that hasn't been leaked yet.

I've pretty much switched over to using my TV for watching streaming content (Netflix and Amazon). I only need one remote to bother with and no input switching.

I'm not sure I care about the games/apps unless Apple shows of some really awesome home automation apps.

With regards to their rumored streaming service, I'm not interested in paying $40 for 25 channels of which I'll likely only watch 2-3. I want a la carte even if it means $5-10 per channel.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Maybe 4 years ago?
If I remember correctly, the Netflix rewind and fast forwarding alone on ATV is the worst thing for me.

I really hope this $150-200 rumor isn't true, though. I was super excited to upgrade my ATV with hopes of finally getting a native Plex app or maybe even Kodi (if app store rumors are true, Kodi is unlikely anyway probably) without dealing with PlexConnect. I hope there is a really, really compelling reason to upgrade to ATV4 with that price, but it sounds like a mistake to me so far. FireTV's go for $100, and the hardware on that is very, very good. I doubt Roku 4 will stray far from $100 whenever it upgrades its hardware. Apple set $100 as the market entry price years ago, and I'm surprised they may go away from that since it's pretty obvious $100 is a sweet spot for these types of devices. :/ Why even drop the ATV3 to ~$60-70 if they weren't planning for the ATV4 to take its place at the $100 price point? Seems odd to me..

Future

I kinda hope the box itself has a microphone and speaker for Siri too, because I'd like for it to be able to ping my remote for me.

Also curious to see how the remote is powered. Apple seems to be opting for their wireless keyboards/trackpads/mice to go Li-ion/charger really soon, so I kinda doubt that it'll be powered by AA batteries, but I wonder how its form factor would be suited to charging. Maybe setting it down on top of the AppleTV to charge via a contact, like the Apple Watch? I dunno.

Since the price is so high, this is what I'm expecting. They aren't trying to race to the bottom like the fire TV stick and countless set tops last Apple TV included. They probably are upping the convenience and usability

What would be nice is lagless pass through so Apple TV could truly be an overlay over whatever else you might have on. For my parents changing the input to Apple TV is actually a barrier at times, and they forget to do it, lose the remote because of lack of use, etc

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Since the price is so high, this is what I'm expecting. They aren't trying to race to the bottom like the fire TV stick and countless set tops last Apple TV included. They probably are upping the convenience and usability

Well put. For the people that just want to beam some content to their TV, the sticks do that job quite well. The featuers there are not really going to get much better, and the devices are going to continue to get cheaper. I imagine the margins are not great at all either. I sort of envision the $70-100 set-top box eventually becoming an awkward middle ground that loses its place in the market, pinched by super cheap sticks on the low-end and more premium devices like the Apple TV 4 on the high-end.

This sort of reminds me of their decision to ignore the cheap / low-cost netbook market and just build the Macbook Air instead (which then, of course, spawned the Ultrabook market...and we all know what happened to netbooks after that).

SMattera

What would be nice is lagless pass through so Apple TV could truly be an overlay over whatever else you might have on. For my parents changing the input to Apple TV is actually a barrier at times, and they forget to do it, lose the remote because of lack of use, etc

Unlikely.

That's the point of their planned PS Vue/Sling TV competitor.

The pitch will be, "get rid of your cable box and get Apple TV and sign up for Apple Video" (or whatever they call it)

Apple TV 4: Gaming and Siri will be major focuses, expect Bluetooth game controllers + enhanced wireless

But the other will be deep support for gaming, representing Apple’s largest-ever effort to lure players from traditional consoles. In addition to the convenience of downloading games directly from the Apple TV’s built-in App Store, and controlling many of them via a new bundled remote control, Apple will also support more complex, console-style Bluetooth game controllers with the pressure-sensitive buttons and joysticks previously introduced for iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches…

According to sources, one of the dedicated buttons will be a Home button, while another will be for activating the integrated microphone, triggering Siri control of the Apple TV. A source who has used the product says that “you can navigate [mostly everything] on the new Apple TV [solely] using the new Siri button.” The source also called the deep integration of Siri a “main focus” for the new box, as its convenience will appeal to non-gamers and gamers alike.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/31/apple-tv-gaming-siri-bluetooth-remote/

giga

I'm assuming the reason they're implementing a dedicated Siri button, instead of the "hey Siri" iPhone implementation, is because sounds from the TV would interfere with that functionality?

Somnid

I'm assuming the reason they're implementing a dedicated Siri button, instead of the "hey Siri" iPhone implementation, is because of sounds from the TV would interfere with that functionality?

Most likely it doesn't have a stationary microphone array but even if it did you need a fallback in case things are loud or far away.

I'm assuming the reason they're implementing a dedicated Siri button, instead of the "hey Siri" iPhone implementation, is because sounds from the TV would interfere with that functionality?

I think it's probably more about saving battery (remember, Hey Siri only works on the iPhone when it's plugged in, and the watch needs you to raise it in order to make Hey Siri available).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey, Siri is also pretty finicky too. Mine goes off all the time when watching YouTube videos and the people didn't say anything remotely resembling "Hey, Siri". But I keep it on because I can set timers from across the room. If only I could also stop them from across the room.

I'd rather have Hey, Siri built into my Mac to be honest.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Alexa (Amazon Echo) is randomly triggered for me as well. I think "she" just wants attention though.

DarkFlow

Banned

In what world is appletv fast?

EmiPrime

The current Apple TV is pretty terrible outside of the US. I hope this time around they've bothered to spend time getting content that is relevant to more than one territory instead of for example featuring a bunch of American sports that almost nobody cares about outside of the US but I am not holding my breath.

ehhhh, not really the route i'd like them to go, but i guess they've got to have a differentiator.

I'm sure they're gonna end up having lots of exclusive music, but I'm not so sure I want them producing exclusive TV/movie content too.

However, I'd be down for Apple having some first-party gaming stuff.

blackflag

Can you even browse by genre unless it happnes to be one of the groups it chooses for you in the standard netflix app?

I always like the Apple tv version because if I want horror, I browse to genre, horror, then look for something interesting.

I've never figured out how to do that in the standard Netflix app.

Can you even browse by genre unless it happnes to be one of the groups it chooses for you in the standard netflix app?

I always like the Apple tv version because if I want horror, I browse to genre, horror, then look for something interesting.

I've never figured out how to do that in the standard Netflix app.

Me neither. I'm sure that's it is possible with the standard Netflix app, but I haven't been able to find it. The Roku app definitely doesn't have it, and it completely kills Netflx for me. If there is an option to select genre and go from there on the Roku app, it is completely hidden and not well designed.

In what world is appletv fast?

I still agree with that poster about the current UI for most Apple TV apps. I know quite a bit of people find the interfaces to be slow and out of date, but I still like them a lot. Searching for stuff in general (like by category/genres/actors, etc) feels easier and less convoluted on the Apple TV apps than say the Roku version. I don't have enough experience with the current standard Netflix app on the One, PS4, etc to have an opinion there.

statham

I have a Fire TV that can play some pretty impressive games, but I mostly just play poker/solitaire and this frogger like game, even through I have better games for it. Anyone with another console current or last gen, I don't think they will be excited for it.

Hex

Banned
I remember there was that one rumor a while back where Apple TV would be getting an exclusive Disney/Star Wars/Marvel channel.
Thankfully Netflix seems to have put the kabosh on that.

DarkFlow

Banned
I remember there was that one rumor a while back where Apple TV would be getting an exclusive Disney/Star Wars/Marvel channel.
Thankfully Netflix seems to have put the kabosh on that.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Netflix's Disney deal kicks into full gear in 2016. Meaning any Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm shows up only on Netflix 8 months after it shows in the theater. Netflix will become the Star Wars, MCU streaming service after that.

New Apple TV Will Feature Universal Search, Start At $149
http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkow...h-start-at-149?utm_term=.qo0r1RvLZ#.iwgAJzlo0

Sources familiar with Apple’s plans say that a cornerstone of the the company’s new set-top box is a universal search feature that will enable searches across multiple streaming video services as well as Apple’s iTunes Store. Instead of searching the catalogs of multiple video services one-at-a-time for a particular movie, you’ll now be able to search all — or most of them — at once and then choose the service on which you’d like to watch it.

One last thing: The new Apple TV will start at $149, the lower of the two price points 9to5Mac first reported. Apple will soon have a subscription internet TV service to sell and the faster it ramps up its installed base of new Apple TV households, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom