• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoofjord

Sebulon3k said:
You serious?

Yeah, his attitude isn't warranted. Even a simple "iPad 2" google search would reveal at the very least that the iPad2 was going to be coming this spring.

But no loss for him, he can sell his iPad 1 and get most of his money back, then put it towards the new one.

Xater

OneEightZero said:
Does this mean the lowest model of the iPad 2 isn't going to match the $499 price the first iPad had?

It probably will but they are not going to keep the first iPad around. That's not what apple does.

dorkimoe

Ripped on the ipad 1 because i thought it was the stupidest thing ever, considering i have an iphone, why would i want a bigger one. Then i played with one and i fell in love..fuck you apple :(

Plan on buying the ipad 2 unless there is nothing major then ill buy ipad 1

Technosteve said:
Start your Bets,

-Steve Jobs Via Facetime on ipad 2 60%
-ipad 2 will use polycarbonate as the build material 40%
-a $399 ipad 90%
-iOS 5 will be reveled 100%
-and another thing.... atv2 will get gaming 1%

ios5? i think thats like a 2%, i cant see them showing it until the ipod event thingy

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
cjelly said:
In English, how significant is the CPU and GPU bump?
RAM bump will be more immediately felt, but that CPU/GPU bump will be very, very sweet once apps start taking advantage of it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Xater said:
It probably will but they are not going to keep the first iPad around. That's not what apple does.
No, I mean the stock they have left. I will grab one of those if they lower that price. Like they've done with the iPhone in the past. ^_^

Xater

OneEightZero said:
No, I mean the stock they have left. I will grab one of those if they lower that price. Like they've done with the iPhone in the past. ^_^

That's why I said they are not keeping them around. I think the iPhone is a different situation. They keep the previous gen around because then they can sell one with a contract for really cheap.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Xater said:
That's why I said they are not keeping them around. I think the iPhone is a different situation. They keep the previous gen around because then they can sell one with a contract for really cheap.
Well, they might keep a cheaper version around, especially with all the Android tablets on the horizon.

We'll have to wait until 2 March to see. ^_^

NYR

DAY FUCKING ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE!

Pretty sure this will just be an announcement, not an actual release date, though. :(

We shall see.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Only an iPad 2 announcement can generate 600+ troll posts on Engadget in less than a hour

numble

Xater said:
They still sell the 3GS, and in prior years, they offered the previous gen iPod Touch as a lower cost model. There are 2 possibilities:

1: They don't offer the old iPad, they want everyone to have Facetime, this is why they didn't sell the previous generation iPod Touch this time around.
2. They offer the old iPad. They still sell 3GS without Facetime (and it was still within the top 5 phones sold in the US last quarter, 1.5 years after it's release). They also still need to make iPads for markets like China and South Korea, which had like a 4-5 month delay between US release and release in that market.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ohwiseone said:
Wait, I though there was a rumor that the next iPad was going to have a smaller counterpart (like iPod nano), Or was that later found to be false?

You mean...kind of like an iPod Touch?

NYR

Kano On The Phone said:
God, and I just bought a new iPad 1. Fuck you, Apple.
You know what they should have? A site dedicated to rumors...of the Mac persuasion. Yes...Mac Rumors, that is a good idea.

Maybe if that site existed and was posting iPad 2 info since December, you wouldn't be in this predicament....

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DrFunk said:
Only an iPad 2 announcement can generate 600+ troll posts on Engadget in less than a hour

Yup.

Might sell my iPad to CEX pretty soon eventhough I've already saved enough to buy a mac book pro and an ipad 32G. I'm also going to get rid of my iphone 3GS while am at it. I think I might just get the 64G ipad 2 so i won't have to complain about having little space.

Zutroy

Ohwiseone said:
Wait, I though there was a rumor that the next iPad was going to have a smaller counterpart (like iPod nano), Or was that later found to be false?
The rumor is that the next iPhone will launch a long side a cheaper iPhone nano.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Opus Angelorum said:
Latest rumour for the iPad 2:

- 1,024 x 768
- 1.2GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU
- SGX543 GPU
- 512MB RAM

Is this gen of iDevice not also going to go with a dual-core GPU? Thought that was rumoured, although I guess the 543 alone is a decent upgrade over the previous GPU.

cjelly said:
In English, how significant is the CPU and GPU bump?

On the GPU side, a 543 has twice as many pipelines as a 535, and each has twice as many shader ALUs. So pretty decent bump there clock for clock (twice the fillrate, 4x shader ALU power).

On the CPU side, if you were to use ARM's DMIPS ratings for the A8 vs A9, you could say a dual-core A9 is 2.5x more powerful than a A8 clock for clock. It uses an out-of-order execution architecture compared to the A8's in-order architecture...overall on general code it might be a good deal better.

Xyphie

More RAM please. Using the ipad to browse is such a shitty experience since you can only have like one tab cached at any one time, at least 512 but preferably 1024.

LCfiner

OK, time for some lame predictions?

1. facetime cameras
2. a bit lighter, a bit thinner. as per the leaked cases.
3. dual Core chip, probably dubbed A5. ~2X speed increase over iPad 1
4. 512 MB ram, but we won't know this till it gets dissected

that's about it. I don't expect a major new form factor (7" version is not gonna happen) or a retina display anymore (sigh.. that rumor was so awesome).

I hope they spend more time showing off iOS 5 features than new hardware.

Zyzyxxz

gofreak said:
On the GPU side, a 543 has twice as many pipelines as a 535, and each has twice as many shader ALUs. So pretty decent bump there clock for clock (twice the fillrate, 4x shader ALU power).

On the CPU side, if you were to use ARM's DMIPS ratings for the A8 vs A9, you could say a dual-core A9 is 2.5x more powerful than a A8 clock for clock. It uses an out-of-order execution architecture compared to the A8's in-order architecture...overall on general code it might be a good deal better.

Dammit thats not what I wanted to hear, being the performance nerd I am I will feel inferior if I get a refurbished iPad1 now.

neojubei

Technosteve said:
is apple still have trouble getting ipads in to stores? i remember around christmas time it was near impossible to find one.

high demand caused that, probably be the same for the ipad 2. I think Apple will initially release only in the US and then later on in other parts of the world like they did with the original ipad.

I hope to see a jump in ram and processor and hopefully gestures like the ones in the iOS 4.3 beta.

LCfiner

Oh, and the obligatory

dlKqN.gif

neojubei

LCfiner said:
OK, time for some lame predictions?

1. facetime cameras
2. a bit lighter, a bit thinner. as per the leaked cases.
3. dual Core chip, probably dubbed A5. ~2X sped increase over iPad 1
4. 512 MB ram, but we won't know this till it gets dissected

that's about it. I don't expect a major new form factor (7" version is not gonna happen) or a retina display anymore (sigh.. that rumor was so awesome).

I hope they spend more time showing off iOS 5 features than new hardware.

Those predictions sound like they might come true. I hope that there are some iOS changes with the ipad. I know the camera will bring about some new photo album app and iMovie will be formatted for the ipad. I do hope gestures make in the iOS. Wonder if apple will redo the whole interface or keep the icon layout like they did on the iphone.

sammymoho said:
I would buy it. The next iPad will come in roughly the same release cycle, so about a year.

There have been pretty strong rumours that the iPad 3 will be released in September to bring iPad releases in line with iPods.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
"Come see what 2011 will be the year of" is an anagram of "2011 - How a cab of telemetry wheelies". A clue?

Technosteve said:
Start your Bets,

-Steve Jobs Via Facetime on ipad 2 60%
-ipad 2 will use polycarbonate as the build material 40%
-a $399 ipad 90%
-iOS 5 will be reveled 100%
-and another thing.... atv2 will get gaming 1%

like to add another BET

-10000000000000000000000% sure Gizmodo won't be there.

FuturusX

Xyphie said:
More RAM please. Using the ipad to browse is such a shitty experience since you can only have like one tab cached at any one time, at least 512 but preferably 1024.

Have you tried icab browser?....More ram is welcome. But cached tabs is within your grasp now..

Mashing

gofreak said:
Is this gen of iDevice not also going to go with a dual-core GPU? Thought that was rumoured, although I guess the 543 alone is a decent upgrade over the previous GPU.

I do not think they'll upgrade it that much. It's probably going to be more akin to a 3G to 3Gs upgrade. The iPad has been out for what, a little more than a year?

giga

Futureman said:
This would be a really, really, really lame event if it ran iOS4 and the only announcement was a spec bump.
Not a chance it will run iOS 5. They don't release major software revisions without months of developer beta testing. Don't expect a new OS until WWDC.

If all the rumors point to such little upgrades, what's the point of an event? I'm probably for sure plunging on the iPad 2, so I'm hoping for some impressive tech bumps. Really sucks that a lot of people are doubting 1gb of RAM though considering nearly every other Android tab has it standard.

LCfiner

Mashing said:
I do not think they'll upgrade it that much. It's probably going to be more akin to a 3G to 3Gs upgrade. The iPad has been out for what, a little more than a year?

just under a year. close enough.

and, honestly, the 3G to 3GS upgrade was the biggest iPhone upgrade I ever went through. CPU upgrades aren't sexy but, man, it made such a big difference. the speed of the 3GS allowed for some apps to launch over 5X faster (NYT, for example) and gave us a fully 60 fps UI and allowed for much more complex games and apps.

edit: lol, there are guys in my office talking about the ipad 2 and one of them is repeating the Gruber speculation about iPad 3 in September but stating it as fact. good times.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just bought an iPad the first day it was released. And now they're releasing another one?! Fuck Apple so hard.

I know we're aways out but what's the best way to get one on release day? Can you preorder one, either online or in store? I've never gotten anything from Apple at launch, excuse my ignorance.

gofreak said:

Most of the rumours suggest a dual-core GPU, however I don't think they need it.

The SGX543 supports OpenCL which as you are probably aware allows iOS to use both the CPU and GPU, so I don't think it will be short of resources.

mxgt

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I just bought an iPad the first day it was released. And now they're releasing another one?! Fuck Apple so hard.

Apple have been doing this for a while now.

mrkgoo

NYR said:
You know what they should have? A site dedicated to rumors...of the Mac persuasion. Yes...Mac Rumors, that is a good idea.

Maybe if that site existed and was posting iPad 2 info since December, you wouldn't be in this predicament....

He's just joking.

I don't expect much in the way of iOS5 news until the June iPhone announcement. This will probably just concentrate on the iPad 2, which may have more updates than we expect. Maybe the'll also announce the free version of Mobile Me that we keep hearing rumors about as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Other than having two cameras in the iPad, I'd say everything else is up for speculation. Spec bumps seem to be a given though, and if they find a way to improve the battery life to an even more godly level, the other tablets will really be playing catch-up once again. Not like there is a whole lot of competition already though.

Edit: Also, for those thinking that we'll see another iPad later in the year, I wouldn't hold your breath. The invite says "Come See What 2011 Will Be The Year Of." which seems to be an indication that this is the upgrade for this year. It also seems to hint at more than what we expect in my opinion.

jax (old)

Banned
I sure hope the thing has 1gb of ram. I dunno, just like the idea of 1gb of ram even though my ipad runs great with 256mb of it.

not hyped on the camera/facetime so it will be the spec + OS tweaks which will excite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom