• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I don't expect much in the way of iOS5 news until the June iPhone announcement.
June is when the final iOS5 release would happen, but they need an event beforehand to actually preview it and start the beta rollout so devs can have iOS5-compatible apps ready for June. This is how it worked last year, it's very likely how it'll work this year.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
_dementia said:
This is one of the best animated gifs I have ever seen.

dlKqN23.gif

Now with ping-pong!

Yeah I think there'll be a preview of iOS5 at the iPad event too.

Tobor

badcrumble said:
June is when the final iOS5 release would happen, but they need an event beforehand to actually preview it and start the beta rollout so devs can have iOS5-compatible apps ready for June. This is how it worked last year, it's very likely how it'll work this year.

Yep. They'll preview it for sure.

UNLESS...They decide to postpone the iPhone to September, then they can wait a while.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I held off on iPad 1 and am planning to get the second one unless something better comes along.

Are you all thinking it will be dual core? 1GB ram?

badcrumble said:

Forgot they had an event between iPad launch and June iPhone announcement last year. You're right, they'll probably do the same this year.

Not planning on buying an iPad
yet
but will be interesting to see.

I expect a next gen CPU, but I can imagine Apple doing a spec bump since they have no competition, and only the Xoom seems to threaten it (some what). There's also the fact that Apple themselves are working on the CPU, so I'd imagine that would take some work even though they are technically just modifying the hell out of an existing one.

Xater said:
I hope it will be 1GB RAM.
It's Apple...

Tobor

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not planning on buying an iPad
yet
but will be interesting to see.

I expect a next gen CPU, but I can imagine Apple doing a spec bump since they have no competition, and only the Xoom seems to threaten it (some what).

It's Apple...

Haha. Good one.

Tobor said:
Haha. Good one.

The same way the Droid threatened the iPhone. It didn't kill it or significantly harm it, but it did bite into part its target demographic, established itself as a rival, and started the wave of Android "iPhone killers".

NYR said:
You know what they should have? A site dedicated to rumors...of the Mac persuasion. Yes...Mac Rumors, that is a good idea.

Maybe if that site existed and was posting iPad 2 info since December, you wouldn't be in this predicament....

Xater said:
Dude a March/April launch of the iPad 2 has been the talk since December. It's totally on you.

Look, I asked a bunch of times like a month ago and you guys in the other thread said there's no way to know when a new one is really coming out, which I took to mean there isn't a new one since you guys are in on this sort of thing.

So I suppose the two big questions here (since a Cortex A9-based processor, case redesign, and two cameras are pretty certain) are RAM (512MB or 1GB) and storage (whether it'll move from 16/32/64 to 32/64/128). Right?

I think that, IF there's an iPad 3 this September, either of those changes that don't happen this time around will certainly happen then; basically, the iPad 3 will almost certainly have 1 GB of RAM and 32/64/128 storage.

I wonder if at any point Apple will abandon the separate Wifi/3G models and just have 3G models, but at the WiFi model price points. Doubtful, since there's a lot of margin there, but I could see it happening at some point in the future in order to have fewer SKUs and if competition gets tighter.

The iPad 2 hardware will be straight forward. Front and back camera, cpu, gpu and memory upgrade. I don't think there will be any surprises here. What's more important of a change is how the software changes. I'm hoping Apple doesn't take the lasy easy route and not really do much. I want to see them to start making the iPad 2 not look like a giant iPhone. Heck, live widgets would go a long way of doing that. That will hopefully be the big thing that people focus on and not obvious hardware changes.

Tobor

badcrumble said:
So I suppose the two big questions here (since a Cortex A9-based processor, case redesign, and two cameras are pretty certain) are RAM (512MB or 1GB) and storage (whether it'll move from 16/32/64 to 32/64/128). Right?

I think that, IF there's an iPad 3 this September, either of those changes that don't happen this time around will certainly happen then; basically, the iPad 3 will almost certainly have 1 GB of RAM and 32/64/128 storage.

I wonder if at any point Apple will abandon the separate Wifi/3G models and just have 3G models, but at the WiFi model price points. Doubtful, since there's a lot of margin there, but I could see it happening at some point in the future in order to have fewer SKUs and if competition gets tighter.

Right. Of course, we'll find out storage right away, and RAM once it's released or devs spill the beans.

Chorazin

Give me more RAM and a beefier CPU and I'm sold on a mid-size (GB wise) model. I should still get a good enough return on my iPad 3G on eBay after the iPad 2 comes out to not be too big of a hit on the wallet.

kehs

Banned
badcrumble said:

The 3G antennas are crazy expensive compared to the all in one BCM chips they use for fm/wifi/bluetooth. Hell, SOC are moving toward having the connectivity as part of it instead of a module. A device without wifi is a device meant to die.

It's not happening.

Marty Chinn said:
The iPad 2 hardware will be straight forward. Front and back camera, cpu, gpu and memory upgrade. I don't think there will be any surprises here. What's more important of a change is how the software changes. I'm hoping Apple doesn't take the lasy easy route and not really do much. I want to see them to start making the iPad 2 not look like a giant iPhone. Heck, live widgets would go a long way of doing that. That will hopefully be the big thing that people focus on and not obvious hardware changes.

Things like that all depend on the competition. If the competition is mediocre or non-threatening they're going to change very little since it will be more profitable and it would be wise to save the big guns for later. However if the competition is fierce that's when they are going to go the extra mile. Just look at the iPhone 4, it was a huge upgrade that was most likely due to the competition of Android smartphones such as the Droid.

Currently there is very little competition. At best I'd expect Apple to give use double the RAM, next generation CPU, front facing camera, and more storage space, AT BEST.

projekt84 said:
Can we do bets on the RAM?

I'm saying 512MB, who wants to get in on this?

It will be 512MB. I don't know why people are deluding themselves.

That would be like asking the current Sony to make a cheap gaming system or for the Wii 2 to use the most highest end tech possible.

It goes against company's business philosophy.

zmoney said:
anyone know whats going to be different about the new ipad vs. the old one?
This is being discussed in the past several posts. Basically, the one thing that's pretty much for certain is FaceTime. We're 95% sure that it won't have a Retina Display, 95% sure that it'll have a Cortex A9-based processor (likely dubbed the A5), and 99% sure that it'll have more than 256 megs of RAM. Oh, and a new, thinner design.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Only thing they could add to the Ipad 2 that would make me upgrade would be a pressure sensitive Stylus. I know that isn't happening :/

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
so no higher resolution, but couldn't they up the dpi? or do I not understand display tech?

edit:

ah, ok, thanks Tobor.

Tobor

projekt84 said:
Can we do bets on the RAM?

I'm saying 512MB, who wants to get in on this?

I'm guessing 512MB as well.

Big Ass Ramp said:
so no higher resolution, but couldn't they up the dpi? or do I not understand display tech?

No, you don't. lol. The only way to up the PPI(pixels per inch) is to shrink the size of the screen or increase the resolution.

Erasus

Kano On The Phone said:
Look, I asked a bunch of times like a month ago and you guys in the other thread said there's no way to know when a new one is really coming out, which I took to mean there isn't a new one since you guys are in on this sort of thing.

Macromurs have had it as DONT BUY, THIS IS GONNA GET UPDATED IN LIKE A MONTH for a while...

Its all your fault for not doing resarch. And now I am LOLing at j00 :3

Copernicus said:
The 3G antennas are crazy expensive compared to the all in one BCM chips they use for fm/wifi/bluetooth. Hell, SOC are moving toward having the connectivity as part of it instead of a module. A device without wifi is a device meant to die.

It's not happening.
He was trying to say that instead of having 6 different versions, you would only have 3 now. All would have 3G/4G and wifi.

LCfiner

OK, who wants to bet that engadget's original sources were right and there is gonna be a retina display in iPad 2.

this would mean that every other contrary report since then has been either wrong or purposefully misleading.

odds? 100:1?

edit: fucking lol @ kano's baiting

Big-ass Ramp

LCfiner said:
OK, who wants to bet that engadget's original sources were right and there is gonna be a retina display in iPad 2.

this would mean that every other contrary report since then has been either wrong or purposefully misleading.

odds? 100:1?

edit: fucking lol @ kano's baiting

well, if other reports are to be believed, then: iPad 3, September 2011!

Hoping we see a minor price cut. I don't need or want an iPad (Or portable computer of any kind.) but I'd love to pick one up for my mother as a dedicated internet device. (Can't imagine her getting into the iTunes scene.)

stupei

What're the odds that it'll be in stores next week?

I know everyone was saying April, but I want to be an optimist. How often does that happen at Apple events?

Big-ass Ramp

stupei said:
What're the odds that it'll be in stores next week?

How often does that happen at Apple events?

Didn't they do that with the recent iPod Touches? Seemed like there was only a week between announce and release.

stupei

Big Ass Ramp said:
Didn't they do that with the recent iPod Touches? Seemed like there was only a week between announce and release.

I know they've definitely done it before -- sometimes it's even in stores that day, I think? -- but I'm not sure how frequently that's the case. I've never been up for buying one close enough to launch that I paid close enough attention, I guess.

AbsoluteZero said:
Hoping we see a minor price cut. I don't need or want an iPad (Or portable computer of any kind.) but I'd love to pick one up for my mother as a dedicated internet device. (Can't imagine her getting into the iTunes scene.)
The biggest price cut you might see is a bump in storage capacity to 32/64/128GB (which is effectively eliminating the 16GB model and cutting the price on the 32/64GB models), which would happen.

If you're looking for something below $499, look for refurbished iPad 1s in the days to come.

KtSlime

giga said:
Not a chance it will run iOS 5. They don't release major software revisions without months of developer beta testing. Don't expect a new OS until WWDC.

I do expect them to show off some iOS 5 features at this event however - maybe even launch the beta for developers, or announce a date for it at least.

This WWDC seems like it will probably focus heavily on Lion.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well for me it is between iPad 2 and an Android tablet, so hopefully the iPad 2 is spectacular. That Moto Xoom looks nice as well, so it will be a tough decision.

LCfiner

dream said:
I really want to know what "Come see of what 2011 will be the year" means.

everyone in tech says 2011 will be "the year of the tablet" (like the fabled "year of the PS3").

Apple is saying "nuh-uh. it'll be the year of the iPad" and whatever else they show next week.

edit: d'oh. nvm. just re-read exactly what you were quoting...

Cannot wait for this event. I was in a wait and see mode after last year's event, but everytime I've played around with an iPad, I have loved it. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of high-res screen (most likely, anyways), but hopefully the other specs will make up for that.

d0g_bear said:
main.jpg

that's better.
Why do people still spread this myth about English prepositions :(?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom