• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Mupod

ugh tell me about it.

how is going to an agency? i heard of people who actually got very good jobs through agencies. do i just come in and hand a resume or what? do they interview you? i am seriously considering going to one seeing that no one calls me back for an interview whenever i apply through a website.

well if you're interested in anecdotal evidence, the one I tried was a big waste of time. I went through a phone interview, then gave them a bunch of documents and references. A few days later I got a call back regarding a position, but it was only for a month and they tried to pressure me to take a very low hourly rate. That's about what I expected - don't plan on getting anything permanent from an agency. I was going to take it anyways out of desperation but my phone died and it was impossible to get back in contact with the person I spoke to. In the end it was a good thing that happened, but I felt shitty at the time.

It's been a few months since then, I never informed them that I started working, but they never contacted me about anything else and stopped responding to my emails. So I'd imagine if you don't keep pestering them they just don't look for stuff.

well if you're interested in anecdotal evidence, the one I tried was a big waste of time. I went through a phone interview, then gave them a bunch of documents and references. A few days later I got a call back regarding a position, but it was only for a month and they tried to pressure me to take a very low hourly rate. That's about what I expected - don't plan on getting anything permanent from an agency. I was going to take it anyways out of desperation but my phone died and it was impossible to get back in contact with the person I spoke to. In the end it was a good thing that happened, but I felt shitty at the time.

It's been a few months since then, I never informed them that I started working, but they never contacted me about anything else and stopped responding to my emails. So I'd imagine if you don't keep pestering them they just don't look for stuff.

huh. so they just take your profile and match you to jobs/openings a la match.com? can't you specify in which industries you want to work in or which fields you are interested in?

No kidding. I think it's the main reason why people stick with such crappy jobs so often. As bad as your job might be, you just remember back to searching for a job, and yeah, it's usually preferable to just keep plugging away.

CrunchyB

"Most enjoyable to have around" is just another form of discrimination and makes finding jobs very difficult for certain types of people who are otherwise perfectly capable of doing the work.

I totally get where you're coming from. Yes, the job market is shit and companies are selecting people on trivialities. But being bitter about it won't help you.

I'm a PHP Web Dev with about 2-3 years experience, lots of skills from linux/unix backends to network tech. I have a pretty good CV listing all skills I have learned. I am still junior in skill level TBH, but have good problem solving ability and work hard. I always accomplish my goals for deadlines etc.

[..]

I then attempted the quiz the recruiter sent me - 2 hours with 57 questions. It's the kind of quiz that gets harder when you get a question right. It's also the kind of quiz that has up the three multiple correct answers per question (but you don't know which are multiple choice or just single answer) and it's negatively marked. It was hell. It was so difficult. Now I know I was prop attempting a quiz for a more seasoned programmer than myself, but theres no way some of those questions are meant for human beings.

Haha, I know what you mean. PHP in particular has a large number of peculiar features. Don't be discouraged, those tests are pretty useless at selecting the best people for the job, as that company will soon find out. Wouldn't hurt to look up the answers though.

Related, I checked some Google interview assignments last night, holy shit. I could probably do some of them, but not all and never during a live interview. That shit is hardcore. I probably should spend some more time at TopCoder. I have all the time in the world now so there's really no excuse. It's really helpful to your algorithm skills.

I'm also going to spend some time on a Coursera course (Cryptography) and maybe continue with my Arduino project which has been dead in the water for about a month.

edit: and of course, keep sending out letters + CVs.

Agency: "Thank you for coming in for the interview, but our client has decided they will revisit this position at another time."

What the Fuck. So tired of this shit.

Mupod

huh. so they just take your profile and match you to jobs/openings a la match.com? can't you specify in which industries you want to work in or which fields you are interested in?

The one I went to was specifically for IT. A lot of companies often need temporary employees in that field for major computer or software deployments, helpdesk work etc. So they act as a middleman for companies that might frequently need temporary employees on short notice and might not have the resources to sort through a bunch of applicants (who they won't keep around long term anyways).

I worked on contracts until this current job and the annoying thing is that almost all of them advertise the job as 'temporary with possibility of full time' when they have no intention of keeping you around as full-time permanent. At best I would get a bunch of extensions. I never actually went through an agency but I'd imagine they don't have your future interests in mind and would just try to get you a placement in whatever comes up first.

DyTonic

Banned
Not to mention a company like Amazon tried to lowball me ona stressful manager position at their warehouse with $17/hr. This has to be a joke, I swear I might as well become a coke dealer.

charsace

Don't worry op, we are creating new fast food and security guard jobs every day.

One thing I learned in my long search is that employers hate it if they have to pull things out of you. When you interview make eye contact, talk with confidence, and really be into what you're talking about. When you know something explain a little bit about it or when you don't know something admit you don't know, but still talk about it a little. I started getting second interviews when I talked up more and cracked some light jokes. When they have multiple people sitting in on the interview you need to be a little bit more dominant.

I got my recent job by talking about my programming hobbies, talking about football, and making analogies. The key to interviews is trying to turn the interview into a conversation. Interviewers will remember you if you do.

Don't worry op, we are creating new fast food and security guard jobs every day.

One thing I learned in my long search is that employers hate it if they have to pull things out of you. When you interview make eye contact, talk with confidence, and really be into what you're talking about. When you know something explain a little bit about it or when you don't know something admit you don't know, but still talk about it a little. I started getting second interviews when I talked up more and cracked some light jokes. When they have multiple people sitting in on the interview you need to be a little bit more dominant.

I got my recent job by talking about my programming hobbies, talking about football, and making analogies. The key to interviews is trying to turn the interview into a conversation. Interviewers will remember you if you do.

This is incredible advice. That's how I've gotten all my jobs - making them want to sell you the position.

Update on my situation - things are looking pretty bright, in a way. I had the over-the-phone interview that I think went well. The opportunity seems rad - cool, young people at an agency dedicated to helping businesses with projects and such - but the second wave of interviews isn't happening for another week. This cuts a little bit too close to my original goal, which is starting next week.

Beginning so soon seems unfeasible, but I'm getting offers that want me to start right away, provided the interviews arrive at a positive conclusion. And while money isn't the biggest issue, I'd rather not wait on a job that may or may not hire me. Luckily, there's a freelance position for two months that I could do in the meantime of things, but it'd still be difficult to switch over.

Downhome

I had my second interview this morning for the state job I mentioned before. I think it went really well, thank God. I ended up meeting with the lady that interviewed me the first time, as well as the other person that does the same thing that I would be doing if they were to hire me. They said to relax, the formal interview was out of the way, and there was no need to be nervous this time. They said we were just there to have a conversation, and for the other person to talk with me and to explain exactly what they do. They said they wanted me to come in to make sure it was truly something that I wanted to do.

About half way through I thought they were flat out just gonna hire me then and there but at the end she said that she will be back in touch with me any day now and then we'll go from there.

*fingers crossed*

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
Really, I would assume in denver it would be easier

I had my second interview this morning for the state job I mentioned before. I think it went really well, thank God. I ended up meeting with the lady that interviewed me the first time, as well as the other person that does the same thing that I would be doing if they were to hire me. They said to relax, the formal interview was out of the way, and there was no need to be nervous this time. They said we were just there to have a conversation, and for the other person to talk with me and to explain exactly what they do. They said they wanted me to come in to make sure it was truly something that I wanted to do.

About half way through I thought they were flat out just gonna hire me then and there but at the end she said that she will be back in touch with me any day now and then we'll go from there.

*fingers crossed*
Sounds really promising, congrats

You don't know my circumstances and I don't feel particularly compelled to tell you.
Glad you shared zero comments so far then.

Hey yo don't forget that working a lot of jobs is crushing and soulless too! So you're busting your ass and making yourself miserable for the opportunity to bust your ass and make yourself miserable... while getting paid, of course.

Pretty much.

I finally got a job so I can pay the bills and actually get good presents for my family over the holidays. I was told by my manager that I'm not supposed to apply for time off between October and New Years. So that's just great, I finally can have some income to get decent presents for my parents and brothers, but I will likely not even have the chance to give it to them on Christmas. Goddamned retail.

Best luck to everyone. I wish all the best to everyone and hope they never end up in retail.

Through a series of fortunate events, I got a sweet offer at Boeing as a systems designer. Did a mental spit take when I got the call. I'm so glad I can stop interviewing now.

oni_saru

What are second interviews like? The same as first interviews just with new people?

Got called in for two second interviews Friday and Monday.

What are second interviews like? The same as first interviews just with new people?

Got called in for two second interviews Friday and Monday.

From my experience, they were more technical. Maybe ask more behavioral questions as well. It could vary a bit depending on the position.

Downhome

I had my second interview about 48 hours ago. When is it fine to give them a call back and talk to them to express eagerness and gratitude? She told me she would call me either way once she decides. Also told me they need someone in the spot ASAP and that they planned to pick someone very, very soon. I am going crazy with stress and worry over this one and I just about can't stand it right now.

oni_saru

From my experience, they were more technical. Maybe ask more behavioral questions as well. It could vary a bit depending on the position.
I see. Thanks!

I'm applying in the psychological research field. Tho the interview for today is on drug addiction research. I'll see how that goes. Kind of nervous ^^'

Cudder

I had my second interview about 48 hours ago. When is it fine to give them a call back and talk to them to express eagerness and gratitude? She told me she would call me either way once she decides. Also told me they need someone in the spot ASAP and that they planned to pick someone very, very soon. I am going crazy with stress and worry over this one and I just about can't stand it right now.
Send an email later that day (before end of business day) to thank them for the interview. Follow up a week later if you don't hear anything, unless they say they'll get in contact with you in a certain timeframe.

Corgi

Banned
2 skype interviews today (11am, 1:30 pm) and on-site interview this afternoon.

How do y'all manage doing this stuff while still keeping 'enthusiasm and energy' up? D:

Something I've been told to do, is to turn the interview on the head. Ask the interviewer questions instead of waiting for them to ask questions. Basically turn the interview into a conversation.

I only tried that once, but interesting that time I got the job.

You ask questions because it's not just about the company thinking that you fit there. You also have to see if you fit there yourself. How'a the culture? What is an employee's typical day? Are there any perks, like flexitime, work from home, recreational activities, etc? Are you expected to work in shifts / move workplaces often?

Some really great advice in this thread, particularly about asking questions during an interview. I'm the type of person who can NEVER think of questions to ask so I've made it a point to come up with several questions ahead of time or else I'll have the deer-in-headlights look when asked if there are any questions.

I just started applying for jobs today after taking several months off from working due to medical issues. I am so not looking forward to this process, especially because I hate hate hate hate hate writing cover letters. Thankfully I've come up with a decent-enough one that can be used for most data analyst positions.

Cudder

Some really great advice in this thread, particularly about asking questions during an interview. I'm the type of person who can NEVER think of questions to ask so I've made it a point to come up with several questions ahead of time or else I'll have the deer-in-headlights look when asked if there are any questions.

I just started applying for jobs today after taking several months off from working due to medical issues. I am so not looking forward to this process, especially because I hate hate hate hate hate writing cover letters. Thankfully I've come up with a decent-enough one that can be used for most data analyst positions.

Not only should you think of/rehearse questions to ask beforehand, but you should also think of an answer for every possible question that they'd ask you.

Something I've been told to do, is to turn the interview on the head. Ask the interviewer questions instead of waiting for them to ask questions. Basically turn the interview into a conversation.

I only tried that once, but interesting that time I got the job.

I try to ask questions on all interviews because I've worked places that I didn't ask questions I wish I had asked.

I ALWAYS make sure the benefits are defined if they are offering benefits. If they have benefits but can't tell you what they are that's a red flag. If they don't have benefits but you're a non temp/contract employee, that's a bad sign.

I ask about upward mobility, learning opportunities etc. I don't want to come in and be stuck doing the same thing for the same title/pay rate for 20 years.

I ask about team size, because I prefer smaller teams.

I ask about meetings, project organization, structure. Because I hate wasting my time in useless go nowhere meetings and I hate working for companies where it takes 10 weeks to make a simple decision.

Like I said, it took me a good 4 or 5 years to really learn what I want out of a work environment. I don't really two fucks about how stocked the kitchen is if they aren't going to give me an actual health care plan or if they expect me to work 100s of hours of unpaid over time.

has anyone ever had success with those websites that let you post your resume and they contact you? The idea always seems great but I have no experience if it would ever pay off

I've done Monster and Angel List. I mostly get contacted by people who don't know fuck all about my abilities and try to match me for things I know I'm not qualified to do. YMMV.

hypernima

Banned
Been looking for months, my resume reviewed and everything. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. No callbacks etc. if i don't get a job soon I don't even really know how I will eat. Because you need to work 20 hrs minimum to get food stamps.

Liberty4all

Banned
It took me 7 months to find my current position (which I started one month ago) so I understand the frustration.

I'm by trade a Career Counsellor so there was a certain irony of me being unemployed.

With that said, I took a pay cut to get back into my industry in a position one level down from what I've been doing. In the end I felt it worth it to get a permanent position with a company in my industry. The organization is big enough that when a position opens up back at the level I should be, I am sure I will be a shoo in.

I'm just grateful in this economy to have any position at all.

Corgi

Banned
has anyone ever had success with those websites that let you post your resume and they contact you? The idea always seems great but I have no experience if it would ever pay off
Depends on field.

Got a degree at a good university and am looking for a developer gig in metro Atlanta. Getting calls by the hour.

Many companies only go through hiring firms these days as well.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I would love a solid real job for 3 months lol

After taking a month off from job hunting, i´m back to it. Needed that break.

Also i sent a company my application twice, because my webmail account, for some reason, was set to delete my sent e-mails after one day, and there was a template for the mail, so i thought i didn´t sent it and i panicked as i really want the job. Oh well...... Gonna call them next week and see what´s up.

Anyway, good luck to all of you guys.

I have 3 interviews set up for next week, and my presentation of myself will be personalized to each position,. I will bring materials with me showcasing what I have done in other positions that will be relevant to what I am interviewing for.

I will go all out really sell myself.

Wish me luck GAF. I hope next Friday I have 3 offers, and I get to choose.

This is it! Its bottom of the ninth bases are loaded down by 3.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
anyone ever actually get a job through linkedin?

I think the only thing it's good for is identifying who to contact about applying for a job. Looking at it a different way you can be sure that anyone who is considering hiring you will check out your linkedin profile so it should be as robust as possible.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

It's a very common avenue for core business industries once someone is past the campus recruiting phase. HR/recruiters are always on the lookout for experienced hires. I'm also always getting spammed by college kids.

Downhome

Waiting to hear back from HR at a job after not the first, but the second interview, is one of the worst, most nerve-racking, things ever.

I have a final interview tomorrow for a good web dev job, its more of a skill workshop to see how you work / get things done. they said its a no wrong / right answer thing. I'm nervous enough. I've had two interviews previously, which went well - but they just chats and meet'n greets. I hope it goes well !

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
As someone in animation, yes. Yes it is.

Right there with ya with animation.

Had an extremely slow summer freelancing.... Out of work for like 3-4 months, living in nyc is not fun.

Problem is the industry is so fucked and overly saturated. Have no idea what my future in this industry is.

I was staff for about 3 years and have now been freelance for over a year. Both sifes have their perks, but when youre not getting jobs and constantly applying you feel like shit and super guilty to enjoy your time off.

Liberty4all

Banned
Some advice for GAF'ers having trouble with the interview phase.

I always teach my client SAR methodology which is very helpful for behavioural based interviews.

S ituation
A ction
R esult

SAR style answering is useful for answering questions such as "tell me about your greatest success" or "Tell me about a time you dealt with conflict in the workplace".

The situation was this <outline situation>

The action I took to resolve the situation was this <outline actions you took>

The result of my actions were this <positive result>

This is really basic but it gives you a start on how to handle the multitude of questions that may come up. Rule of thumb is to have a number of generic SAR type answers in your head that can be plugged in no matter WHAT they ask you (assuming generic top 20 interview questions).

How do you deal with difficult customers?
Tell me about your greatest strength?

I might have a SAR story about how I dealt with an irate customer in a call centre. This story can be used to answer either question -- how I deal with difficult customers, or to show how my greatest strength is patience (or whatever you want to show).

The idea behind SAR is to give you abit of confidence so you don't get strung up trying to think of an answer. I found it to be very helpful myself throughout my years of interviewing.

I also recommend "Superman Pose" before an interview. Go to the washroom 5 min before the interview and do a superman pose (hand clenched to waist, arm like a V) for 30 seconds looking in the mirror. It supposedly releases some chemicals that both make you feel confident and also the one's interviewing you can sense. (no idea the science behind this or if even true ... I do know I started doing it before interviews and it really does seem to help).

On the other page somebody said they don't know how to answer the question "tell me about yourself". The thing they leave unsaid is ".... in relation to the position you are applying for". So many candidates get it wrong, telling employers things the don't care about (family history, favorite sport, etc). The key thing about "Tell me about yourself" is that you need to answer the question in a way that leads up to the idea your life has been leading up/preparing you for this job interview.

Tell me about yourself is an opportunity to show the employer how your education, and previous work history has lead up to this interview ... it's basically fate that you are here. At least that's how I play it.

I just can't do retail anymore so I've decided to get a couple more entry level IT certifications (CompTIA Network+ and Security +) and hopefully get a basic IT technician position somewhere. After those two I'll see about getting a higher level one, but it depends on what the market demands.

I think I have a better chance in interviews when applying for those jobs than I do with rudimentary retail positions.

Amagon

I'm debating leaving my cable guy job that I just started a couple months back and thinking about taking a position for helpdesk since I'm more interested in the IT field than what I'm doing right now. Went to school for Network Administration and have a A+cert. Is it worth going to helpdesk to get my feet wet to work my way up in IT. The cable job is alright, ok pay and benefits but I can't see myself doing it even forever, even when winter is coming.

Irobot82

Anyone near north Metro Atlanta looking for jobs? My company has a lot of jobs open.

Software Developer (3)
Development Operations Engineer
Senior Development Operations Engineer
Product Manager
Inside Sales Manager (2)
National Accounts Manager
National Sales Manager

:D JOBS! (and I get a sweet referral bonus)

Gambit61

I just can't do retail anymore so I've decided to get a couple more entry level IT certifications (CompTIA Network+ and Security +) and hopefully get a basic IT technician position somewhere. After those two I'll see about getting a higher level one, but it depends on what the market demands.

I think I have a better chance in interviews when applying for those jobs than I do with rudimentary retail positions.

I'm in a similar situation. Where do you study for those certifications?

Strax

Do companies ever ask people to come back to a meeting after 2-3 interviews to tell them that they won't get the job?

Isn't that just a waste of time for everbody when an email or a phonecall would do?

Guesong

Do companies ever ask people to come back to a meeting after 2-3 interviews to tell them that they won't get the job?

Isn't that just a waste of time for everbody when an email or a phonecall would do?

What, did that happen?

What a waste of time for everyone, holy crap.

I guess it can depend on which field of work the job is.

Top Bottom