• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Got rejected from a job I've been working on for 3 months today. Two phone interviews and two in person interviews, and they went with someone already in the department.

Since moving to Rochester, I've sent out at least 100 resumes, have had a dozen phone interviews, have had in person interviews with 5 different companies, and have met with six different recruiters.

I fucking hate all of this.

DyTonic

Banned
I swear man //rage

I've been applying non stop and these stupid ass long applications you have to fill out, with automatic rejection responses. I know for a fact I met the requirements on a majority of them. These companies are pathetic, the last few jobs I had were due to craigslist and having a human response when I sent a damn email.

Cudder

I swear man //rage

I've been applying non stop and these stupid ass long applications you have to fill out, with automatic rejection responses. I know for a fact I met the requirements on a majority of them. These companies are pathetic, the last few jobs I had were due to craigslist and having a human response when I sent a damn email.

I hope you're looking at the job posting as well as their website and sprinkling in language they use all over your resume and cover letter. In the job posting, if they have a "responsibilities" section, that should basically be your job description for your current job if it fits.

Magnus

Nervous but excited about tomorrow morning.

Can I make an odd request to the OP and any mods that might be reading? Can we rename this thread something like "Job Searching and interview prep |OT|"?

Both this thread and the "anyone else unemployed?" thread have sort of evolved into virtual job seeker OTs, and I'd so like for a community of support to develop here around the topic without the soul-crushing headline that's currently in place. Lol

Liamc723

I'm looking for some part-time work to fit around my university timetable, and I had an interview at a Greggs (Not sure if they have these in the US?) a few days ago and I thought it was the best interview I ever had! They said I'll find out this coming week if I got the job or not, and of course I'm really hoping I do because it would really help me out.

Magnus

Interview went well. A solid 8/10 on my part I think. Definitely a bit of a misstep on two questions, but I recovered well. (I hate the salary expectations question. Your answer can easily and automatically reframe the entire impression you make on the hiring manager).

I also just heard that the person who returned to reclaim her job (displacing me) is now leaving again to fill another mat leave. My old position may therefore become available again, but I also heard it isn't being posted. They may just be installing someone else into the role instead; would really wound me, as I heard lots of talk about them wanting to keep me but 'alas, no positions available'. Maybe they will reach out to me. Who knows. Emotionally confused right now. Lol.

RP912

Banned
Last week I got hired at Walmart for night crew. Now I'm playing the waiting game for the background checks to come back. I wonder how long this is going to take :/

I've got an interview at Tesco (a large supermarket chain) for a 15 hour a week checkout operator position.

I have two degrees that include an MA.

I have zero enthusiasm and am tempted to deliberately skip it (despite being unemployed for two years).

Cudder

I've got an interview at Tesco (a large supermarket chain) for a 15 hour a week checkout operator position.

I have two degrees that include an MA.

I have zero enthusiasm and am tempted to deliberately skip it (despite being unemployed for two years).
Only doing 15 hours a week means you still will have shitloads of time to look for something in your field. Put your pride aside for the time being, money is money.

Only doing 15 hours a week means you still will have shitloads of time to look for something in your field. Put your pride aside for the time being, money is money.

Looking is irrelevant because I don't have a car and can't get to the jobs that are out there, and nor will I be able to afford one as a deadbeat checkout operator.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Also, keep in mind if you get a rejection, that there is nothing "wrong" with you. Getting a job is a mixture of timing, contacts, and good luck.

Everyone in the struggle, please remember this. Two years of late nights made me question myself sometimes. This is with a degree and getting the interviews. I knew I had the credentials, but from getting so close (interviews), self doubt can creep in, especially when you are trying to be the man of the family, to provide a better life. I've been at my new job for a month. Love it. Stay positive.

Interview went well. A solid 8/10 on my part I think. Definitely a bit of a misstep on two questions, but I recovered well. (I hate the salary expectations question. Your answer can easily and automatically reframe the entire impression you make on the hiring manager).

I also just heard that the person who returned to reclaim her job (displacing me) is now leaving again to fill another mat leave. My old position may therefore become available again, but I also heard it isn't being posted. They may just be installing someone else into the role instead; would really wound me, as I heard lots of talk about them wanting to keep me but 'alas, no positions available'. Maybe they will reach out to me. Who knows. Emotionally confused right now. Lol.
Would you really go back to a place that would just push you out like it did? I'd at least ask for a very substantial salary boost if they do contact you.

Magnus

Would you really go back to a place that would just push you out like it did? I'd at least ask for a very substantial salary boost if they do contact you.

I mean, nothing was promised to me. I knew the contract end date. A manager there had to go when her contract was up, and that was the end of a 10 year career there.

At this point, if they reached out to me, could I seriously take too much of a high ground? Of course I'd fight for something better than what I had, but unemployment means you don't exactly get to stick to principles and self-entitlement too much. Toronto is a very expensive city to live in. I can't keep my life up unless I find something within the next 3 months, and every month you're unemployed just makes it that much harder to land something.

Just interviewed with a job agency today. Hoping to score a proofreader job on their list. Slowly dusting myself off from last month's crushing rejection. Onward!

Keep being unemployed then, that is definitely the best thing to do in your situation.

I'm currently in the process of working with the Prince's Trust (an organisation in the UK that helps people under 30 help set up their own businesses via direct consultation and funding) with the intent of launching a business that offers "digital production services" for short films, commercials, music videos and documentaries. It fits right in with my academic background (MA Post Production Editing) and years of experience in working with independent filmmakers.

So I'm not just sitting around.

In fact you can check out my website (it is a work in progress and isn't finished): http://www.rdstrong.com/

Is public transit an option?
Not really. My experience is in the technical area of digital broadcasting and the major companies and broadcasters are based in specific areas (London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc), so I'd have to have a car or relocate.

Aaron

Waited all day on a phone interview that didn't happen. Called the recruiter to ask for what's up. Turns out the person who was going to interview me was in the hospital for a respiratory infection of some sort, and wasn't really up for conversation. The odd ups and downs of job hunting.

Not really. My experience is in the technical area of digital broadcasting and the major companies and broadcasters are based in specific areas (London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc), so I'd have to have a car or relocate.

You got friend or family member you can crash at if you got a job in one of those cities while you save up enough for a formal relocation or ride?

I live in LA but have family in San Jose and Stockton, and would not hesitate to ask them if a couple month crash is OK. While I save up and search for a place.

You got friend or family member you can crash at if you got a job in one of those cities while you save up enough for a formal relocation or ride?

I live in LA but have family in San Jose and Stockton, and would not hesitate to ask them if a couple month crash is OK. While I save up and search for a place.
I have friends in London but I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to live with them for a short time. I know how expensive it is there so I think my best option is to put my weight behind starting this business, get funding for a car and equipment then slowly build a steady income by working in the local cities.

Eventually I'd like to relocate and maybe get a proper job but that depends on how much money I'll be making in self-employment.

I got a question gaf. I've had a job for almost two months and I'm getting nervous that this isn't going to last. I'm really not being given any serious responsibility still, I'm bored out of my skull.

I feel like I'm not actually necessary, as if they hired someone thinking the workload was going to increase but it didn't.

My probation period is three months long, am I looking at possibly getting fired at the end of that?

Should I approach my manager?

Absolutely. Ask for something to do, I guarantee that both:

A. They will have something for you to do.
B. It looks good to show initiative

I have a few times, I'm always getting small one off tasks, nothing long term.

Also, she wants me to take over for some work in Germany because they are short staffed. It has nothing to do with the team's KPIs, if I am not helping out other teams I am not doing anything at the moment, one of the reasons I'm worried that they didn't really need me.

I wouldn't be so nervous if I had previous experience, it's only my second job (I'm 22) and last time I was already up to my neck in work by this point.

I've been using Monster with great success. I'm seriously shocked. Around 10 or so call backs in a month. I've done nothing but retail for years. Spiced up my resume to perfection using rezscore (got a B+). Now i'm getting amazing offers. A job working for Amazon. Apple work at home customer service. Tons of silly sales jobs, a couple were legit though. Now i have a interview tomorrow for a IT position. Will be my first time making salary too if i get it.

A lot of them just simply want a resume which is awesome. All those questionnaires are dumb.

robinsxe

My fiancee has been struggling to find a job for the past 6 months, and i've been paying our rent for 8 months now. The worst part is seeing employers not even bothering to get in touch with her for a "thanks but no thanks"-email or phone call. It just gets her down, man. Im having a hard time of finding good ways to cheer her up or be a good boyfriend at this time, any advice of what kind of support someone in a position like that needs? She keeps telling me she's fine, but im finding that hard to believe..

thanks

iKhayal18

I've been looking for a translator/localization tester job during the whole summer. I have sent a CV almost every day and the only company that sent me a translation test was EA, but a week after that they sent me another email saying that they did not need any more testers.

I have done both a 4-year Translation and Interpreting degree and a 3000€ master (that my parents struggled to pay). I don't know what more I can do. I've sent CV's all over the world.

I agree with what people is saying here, you feel guilty whenever you are doing something fun. You are always thinking "I should be looking for a job and not wasting my time".

Mupod

Man, had a big scare last week. Owner of the startup I'm working at straight up fired two guys, and this is a company of less than 20.

Granted, they were in a totally different department than me, he had a pretty good reason for it, and it would be crazy for them to try and replace me at this point but it's still scary. I don't want, and can't afford, to go back to the job hunt again. It's a terrifying thought that if I hadn't found this job that I would have run out of money in exactly two weeks from today. Even in my previous jobs I could never relax until I'd done enough hours to get employment insurance again.

As for the salary expectations question - I stressed out over it a lot but in the end most of the interviewers I talked to told me it was just a way to filter out the people who barge in asking for 100k for an entry level position. Having seen a lot of the resumes we're getting for THIS company, I understand...I can't imagine a lot of these folks settling for anywhere near what this place would be paying them.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
My fiancee has been struggling to find a job for the past 6 months, and i've been paying our rent for 8 months now. The worst part is seeing employers not even bothering to get in touch with her for a "thanks but no thanks"-email or phone call. It just gets her down, man. Im having a hard time of finding good ways to cheer her up or be a good boyfriend at this time, any advice of what kind of support someone in a position like that needs? She keeps telling me she's fine, but im finding that hard to believe..

thanks

I was in that same position until recently just the other way around (my wife supported me while I was looking for work). I can tell you she's probably in a dark place and is struggling, especially because she feels like she's a burden to you and doesn't want to disappoint you or make your life stressful. Just keep supporting her and be patient when she gets in a dark depression. She knows how much you care. Ultimately it's her struggle but she'll eventually land a job (I did, and it 's turned out to be excellent) and will see that this period of unemployment was just a blip.

A bit of extra advice I would give is:

a) Point out how everyone struggles to find work and the soul-crushing nature of no one getting back to you is normal. Tell her not to take it personally. This is very important.

b) Make sure she's busy during the day so she doesn't feel useless. Maybe she can work on a hobby (art, writing, etc) or fix things around the place/do errands. If she's keeping busy around looking for work she'll feel empowered and it'll keep her mind of things.

Best wishes.

RedSwirl

Anybody else get contacted a shitload of times by insurance companies? Specifically ones selling insurance to elderly people?

Ceebs

So I just was offered an interview for what would be a fantastic job, but would have to pay about 120 bucks to take multiple sections of that stupid ACT WorkKeys test. Think I am gonna have to turn this one down.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I just was offered an interview for what would be a fantastic job, but would have to pay about 120 bucks to take multiple sections of that stupid ACT WorkKeys test. Think I am gonna have to turn this one down.

What's $120 compared to a "fantastic job", that seems silly.

kendrid

Banned
A lot of them just simply want a resume which is awesome. All those questionnaires are dumb.

This is the truth. I am hiring for my department and the resumes I receive are often embarrassing. People have 15 year old technology as line one of their resume when farther down I see that they actually know modern technologies. A lot of employers would stop at line one.

Sylas

Yeah, that sounds like a scam. Never spend money to take a "test" that will allow you to be employed. Yuck.

Been searching for something new lately. Was told that I'm not being kept on permanently where I'm working now, as they want someone more experienced in the position (why they don't just train me, I don't know. Whatever). So I'm here until they find the new person or until I find a new job.

Trying to get into the IT field and it's not soooo bad. Had a few phone interviews, bombed one and pulled a solid 7-8/10 on another. I hate it when they ask a specific IT-related question during the course of the phone interview. I tend to get a little jittery in the first place and I'm not sitting at a computer for the phone interview, so I blank on a few things.
Had a few strange duds, though. My favorite thus far has been an email exchange that went as follows, roughly:

Them: "Hi, we looked at your resume and liked it. Can you come in on Thursday for an interview?"
Me: "Yeah, sure. When and where?"
--Silence--
Next day. "Hi, just double checking to make sure no emails got lost. I'd be happy to come in, I just need a time and a place. Thanks!"
--Silence, the rest of the week passes until it's Thursday--
Them: "Hi, sorry. We're rescheduling the interview for Monday. Does that work for you?"
Me: "Absolutely. My schedule is flexible, so please just let me know what time and where you'd like me to drop by."
--Silence--

It's now Monday and I've heard nothing. Pretty sure I'm not going to go in even if they actually DO get a time & place to me. Yuck.

I was, however, invited to do an open interview for an A/V tech position at a... laser combat entertainment place. Or something. Could be fun.

Ceebs

What's $120 compared to a "fantastic job", that seems silly.

Money is kinda tight at the moment, and paying 120 bucks for a chance to interview is not really a smart move right now.

Especially when I have other interviews set up without the cost.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anybody else get contacted a shitload of times by insurance companies? Specifically ones selling insurance to elderly people?

Yea, I got a call from a place like that once and when I looked into them I discovered that

1) The job is 100% commission based, like they won't even cover gas

2) They were under investigation by my state's Attorney General for fraudulent business practices among many other things

3) The place was really a feeder for an MLM thing

There's a lot of places like that, in a lot of different fields, preying on recent graduates looking for jobs. If there's no base salary then there's a better than average chance that the place is running some kind of scam on someone and if it's not you then you'll be taking the blame.

robinsxe

I was in that same position until recently just the other way around (my wife supported me while I was looking for work). I can tell you she's probably in a dark place and is struggling, especially because she feels like she's a burden to you and doesn't want to disappoint you or make your life stressful. Just keep supporting her and be patient when she gets in a dark depression. She knows how much you care. Ultimately it's her struggle but she'll eventually land a job (I did, and it 's turned out to be excellent) and will see that this period of unemployment was just a blip.

A bit of extra advice I would give is:

a) Point out how everyone struggles to find work and the soul-crushing nature of no one getting back to you is normal. Tell her not to take it personally. This is very important.

b) Make sure she's busy during the day so she doesn't feel useless. Maybe she can work on a hobby (art, writing, etc) or fix things around the place/do errands. If she's keeping busy around looking for work she'll feel empowered and it'll keep her mind of things.

Best wishes.

Thanks dude, great advice! :)

Downhome

Every single time I even remotely start looking for work at all I get a ton of emails from insurance companies, and I've always assumed they are almost all a scam.

As I said earlier, I have been out of work since April when the small local retail store I helped manage closed down. I have had almost no luck since then, and have been lied to by at least two people that I thought I had jobs with but they totally screwed me over.

I recently passed the South Carolina Property & Casualty Producer exam and am now licensed. I am taking that and have been appointed by a local office that specializes in insuring churches and everything having to do with churches. It is commission only, but it's on the up and up. However, with my unemployment running out in a week or two I must have a second, primary (for the time being), job. I'll work the main job, then do the insurance thing on the side until I can build it up, which may take six months to a year.

I have a few leads right now, and just before I started this post I got a call back for a second interview for an amazing state job that would have full benefits, vacation, sick days, and all of that. It would change everything for me and my wife, so I really hope that goes through. It's an amazing job as well - it is as a job coach for people with disabilities such as autism, down syndrome, and other such ailments. I'm sure it would be frustrating at times, but it would be so rewarding for me.

Please let me give you guys a word of warning btw. I know there are a lot of younger people here, people just out of high school and in college. I am 34 years old now. Years ago I had a full scholarship to go to local school and it was completely and totally paid for. Right out of high school, right after graduation, I discovered my girlfriend at the time that I was planning on getting married to was cheating on me with her next door neighbor and had been for years. I broke up with her, and it all broke my heart. She ended up going to the same school and I saw her every single day even after high school. That, along with being a stupid kid out of high school, led to me essentially just not going to class, and I ultimately dropped out after a year or so. Because of that my GPA was just the bottom of the barrel.

Well, fast forward to my losing my job this last April. I decided to do anything worthwhile I needed to at least get an Associates. I went back to the school and they refused me any sort of assistance or financial aid or anything. The reason was for what happened all of those years ago. To go back to finally get all of that out of the way I need to pay completely out of pocket for a semester or two in order to get my GPA up. That is kinda hard to do while not working right now.

Just, for the love of God guys, don't screw up like I did. I had no clue how that one stupid mistake over such stupid reasons would haunt me for all of these years. If you are in school, FINISH IT, don't be stupid and stop going and drop out or anything like that. Even if it seems pointless, hang in there.

My 20s were the dirt worst. I wasted them completely.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
or if you can''t do the 4-5 class a semester thing just do 2, so you are still in there

Skills are ultimately irrelevant in getting jobs, they may come in handy when keeping them, but it ultimately comes down getting lucky and being a people person i.e. the hot girl who is good at convincing people to get other people to do stuff for her, or just knowing a guy who knows a guy...

This is very true. It's the old saying of "who you know will get you there and what you know will keep you there."

The only reason I have my job right now is because my mom is a good friend of my supervisor.

KingKiller

Neo Member
I live in an area where it seems employers are only looking for job experience. We don't have a very high college graduation rate, so I have almost no problem finding work. I dread my move to Denver in June and actually having to try hard to get a job.

The interview is where I always screw up. I have no idea how to answer Tell me about yourself and when it comes to the mythical where will you see yourself in 2 or 5 years I clam up a bit. Damn do I hate that second question.

Top Bottom