• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

RedSwirl

The part I hate the most is being asked in interviews about experiences in very specific areas for which I have no experience at all.

That and living in a part of the country where one bedroom/bathroom is $2000 a month.

The part I hate the most is being asked in interviews about experiences in very specific areas for which I have no experience at all.

That and living in a part of the country where one bedroom/bathroom is $2000 a month.

NYC?

My biggest struggle right now is trying to switch industries. How the hell do I convince an employer I can work in the entertainment industry when my background is in consumer products?

..what concentration is your mba? What industry are you in?

my MBA is just a general bus admin degree, my undergrad was in HR. Currently interning in the healthcare industry but want to move towards an analyst position in any industry but have no experience in that area.

Just want to check if those certificates are worth the few hundred dollars for the course to get me in an entry level position in that area

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
my MBA is just a general bus admin degree, my undergrad was in HR. Currently interning in the healthcare industry but want to move towards an analyst position in any industry but have no experience in that area.

Just want to check if those certificates are worth the few hundred dollars for the course to get me in an entry level position in that area

Was it some tack on, extra year mba? There was no option for a focused mba? What sort of analyst? Market, project, budget? Some random certificates won't do anything that good networking can't. Are you connecting on linkedin with the firms you're looking at?

Was it some tack on, extra year mba? There was no option for a focused mba? What sort of analyst? Market, project, budget? Some random certificates won't do anything that good networking can't. Are you connecting on linkedin with the firms you're looking at?

The MBA at our university was just a general business focus until they finally added an accounting MBA the last semester I was there. But I'm mainly interested in a business, market, project, administrative, or financial analyst position. And yes I am connected with a few firms through linkedIn that I have already applied for but it seems to be a hard area to get your foot in without some sort of experience in the field. Was thinking that a certification or two related in that area couldn't hurt to land an entry level spot rather than spending thousands to learn SAP or something similar

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The MBA at our university was just a general business focus until they finally added an accounting MBA the last semester I was there. But I'm mainly interested in a business, market, project, administrative, or financial analyst position. And yes I am connected with a few firms through linkedIn that I have already applied for but it seems to be a hard area to get your foot in without some sort of experience in the field. Was thinking that a certification or two related in that area couldn't hurt to land an entry level spot rather than spending thousands to learn SAP or something similar

Alright, so your mba is essentially worthless if it's just a longer undergrad that didn't even have some sort of enterprise/supply chain class for SAP. You're interested in every analyst position under the sun but your undergrad was in hr and you're working in healthcare/pharma. You don't need experience, you need to know someone. Gonna have to hit the recruiting events and make some friends. Have some adjunct at your school introduce you. Start dating the boss's daughter. Or just apply like mad and hope something sticks. You could try to get into consulting or advisory first.

ItIsOkBro

The most soul-crushing part imo is an application that gets no response at all. I'd much rather get a 'declined' and move on.

..what.. Yes, I'm rich now, but I worked at burger king and in the mall as a kid like anyone else. Except when I wasn't a kid anymore I stopped. Retail jobs are specifically created for people who are young or old as a time filler. The fact that anyone can do them is why the pay is so low. The poster I quoted specifically said so himself, that while he is looking for his field's job he wants a time waster retail. It doesn't matter if he works at Costco or Walmart, it's all going to be shit to him because he doesn't belong there.

I was lower middle class growing up and in trouble with the law. I had no problem going to ivy league by playing the game that's open to anyone. Get good grades and one SAT score and enjoy your free education.

Look, I don't know you so I really can't judge you but the way you were posting seemed pretty narrow minded considering a tremendous amount of people that aren't just kids and seniors are having to work retail and food service jobs. Most every job that doesn't require a degree or some sort of "trade school" skill has tons of people in their 20's and 30s who come from all ranges of income due to it currently being one of their few options. Also these jobs aren't always just hiring so you will get turned down a good bit based on experience or other factors. It's not skilled work but many places have a barrier up that filters out quite a few applicants. Obviously you got to keep hustling to get good restaurant and retail positions.

The game is severely fucked up but I have realized this and I will be transferring next year with a really nice GPA (gonna land somewhere around 4.0) so hopefully I can rise above and work my dream job soon. which I wouldn't even call a job.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I was lower middle class growing up and in trouble with the law. I had no problem going to ivy league by playing the game that's open to anyone. Get good grades and one SAT score and enjoy your free education.

Just take a look at what you posted earlier:

No doubt. My industry loves to hire good looking, young people and I gravitate towards them more from my interview pools too.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
..what.. Yes, I'm rich now, but I worked at burger king and in the mall as a kid like anyone else. Except when I wasn't a kid anymore I stopped. Retail jobs are specifically created for people who are young or old as a time filler. The fact that anyone can do them is why the pay is so low. The poster I quoted specifically said so himself, that while he is looking for his field's job he wants a time waster retail. It doesn't matter if he works at Costco or Walmart, it's all going to be shit to him because he doesn't belong there.

what do you do ? and in what city I'm very curious

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

When's the last time you walked into a retail store or fast food place? Middle aged people abound. Why do you think so many of them are in those jobs?

When's the last time you walked into a retail store or fast food place? Middle aged people abound. Why do you think so many of them are in those jobs?

That's my question. He states that it's work anyone can do so they hire kids (people that have little responsibility) but that sure as hell isn't who's working 95% of the retail/food jobs in my area. Filled with mostly people in their 20s-40s. Managers and higher ups in their 30s-50s.

He said finance in NYC.

Alright, so your mba is essentially worthless if it's just a longer undergrad that didn't even have some sort of enterprise/supply chain class for SAP. You're interested in every analyst position under the sun but your undergrad was in hr and you're working in healthcare/pharma. You don't need experience, you need to know someone. Gonna have to hit the recruiting events and make some friends. Have some adjunct at your school introduce you. Start dating the boss's daughter. Or just apply like mad and hope something sticks. You could try to get into consulting or advisory first.

So that's a no for the certs then? Would they just be a waste to try and get my foot in the door?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

Or he can learn Excel, Access and/or SQL. Start teaching yourself.

Looks like I'm putting SQL and SAP on the top of my list to start learning as those are the two I see a lot on job descriptions, thanks for the feedback

I've been trying to find a job since my mother died in '09. I was hoping writing would pay off, but that's yet to happen and an Apple gig fell through that would've been a real life-saver. Luckily, today I got a job through eDegree Advisors. It's a rare work-at-home gig that pays fairly well, and I would recommend checking out Flexjobs for work. It's $50-ish a year if you ask them for the promotional offer and it gave me hope when I needed. I saw that there were A TON of jobs out there, and just applying to a slew of theoretically viable jobs has been a big confidence-booster.

When it comes to convincing someone of something, just start mining what you've done for related tasks. I've been looking for a customer service job and ways to make it seem like I have experience with that - so I listed ebay sales as a job and that was a wise move. That does involve serving customers, keeping track of things and if you don't quite do everything involved in that all the time, then at least keep a very small record of it thorough notes just to have something to show and claim it's either a small sampling, just transactions that went through smoothly, or shorter than normal to better accommodate the recruiter's valuable time.

Honest question, how did you convince yourself?

It's all I care about interest wise. It's what I have a genuine passion about. I've never needed to convince myself, it's just what I have always wanted to do. But an employer cares more about your experience and how it fits to the role as opposed to what you think you'd be good at.

Ecotic

So that's a no for the certs then? Would they just be a waste to try and get my foot in the door?

I have a new paradigm for you to try. I went to a great panel hosted by my University featuring 10 of the best recent all-star graduates who went to work for the top four big consulting firms (KPMG, Deloitte, and such). What amazed me was that half of them had non-business degrees. One of them was a political science major with a Master's in public administration. Others were computer science majors. It's because they needed a wide range of views to form their consultant teams they fly out to companies to improve their business.

So in regards to your question about certificates, I say absolutely go for them. But try this, don't necessarily try to get 3 or 4 certificates all about the same thing. Get a paralegal certification for the sole purpose of being able to say you understand the basics of working with law firms and can speak their language. A business process management certificate would allow you to say you know how to identify structural weaknesses for improvement. A TESOL certificate can allow you to say you learned a high amount about cultural sensitivity and working with people whose native language isn't English, international firms would love it. The more areas you can legitimately claim you know can help you add value to employers.

Also, about working for consultant firms like these, it's a fantastic idea. Your job makes you learn a high amount about other businesses. That pays off massively down the road when you're familiar with how a hundred different companies work. Some of these guys on the panel had made senior associate and were making $230,000 a year.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
There was this hot girl in my engineering batch (you rarely see good looking girls in engineering). Anyways so she was fucking dumb. Didnt do a single lab by herself. Had different boy toy who helped her and sometimes did the whole shit for her. Barely passed exams. And in short she just made it till the end.

Today I found out she got a job offer from one amazing company, where I did my interview last month and was rejected. The interview was fucking hard, too many technical question. And this company asks you to submit your official transcript before the interview day.

Now I am in a huge shock, how the fuck did she get a job there. Not just me, but all my fellow engineers are wondering about the same thing and more fucked up thing is, she was on Europe trip whole summer after graduation while we were all applying for jobs here. And she comes back last months and lands on this brilliant job. Min 85k Annual package.

Even though I found a job, I still feel fucking terrible. Its no where near as nice as that and I also feel bad for one of my closest friend who did 16month internship in the same company, in the same department and his is topper of my year. And he wasn't even called for the interview.

Seeing some undeserving candidate taking your place is even more soul crushing :( she must have fucked the interviewer. Seriously though, she was too hot, I wont deny that. But a shittest engineering you will ever see.

^ My friend who is an engineer major had a girl like that in his class and somehow landed a job at Tesla which is what he wanted. Turns out she knew somebody inside that got her the position. Sad that's what it mostly comes down to when there are most likely better candidates for the job.

So in regards to your question about certificates, I say absolutely go for them. But try this, don't necessarily try to get 3 or 4 certificates all about the same thing. Get a paralegal certification for the sole purpose of being able to say you understand the basics of working with law firms and can speak their language. A business process management certificate would allow you to say you know how to identify structural weaknesses for improvement. A TESOL certificate can allow you to say you learned a high amount about cultural sensitivity and working with people whose native language isn't English, international firms would love it. The more areas you can legitimately claim you know can help you add value to employers.

Great advise right there ecotic I'll definitely keep this in mind when going for certs

todd360

I don't think any employer on Earth is going to spend three months background checking an employee. Or even on the entire hire process. Even one month is a bit lengthy for most jobs below management.

Politics is the only type of job where you spend that long on the lead-up from application to hire or decline, I think. Haha.

They offer you the job before they do the background check. If the background check goes well your in. You can't start working until the background check is done. I'm not making this up man. This company is hardcore.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
"I've always had a problem with procrastination, and as I got further into my career I realized that it was usually because whenever I would get assigned a project, I didn't know where to start.

So, one day I started approaching my professors whenever they'd assign a big project, and ask them their opinion about where I should start. Their response would inform me about what I'd need to do, and that gave me the motivation to get started.

Nowadays I've moved beyond that, and more often than not I'm able to supply my own motivation to get things done. Every day I struggle with the temptation to procrastinate, but now I'm equipped with the tools to deal with it."

That's my go-to answer to the "What's your biggest weakness?" question. I stole it from someone else; feel free to steal it from me :)
This is a good one, and funnily enough I had an interviewee use that one on me when I asked him. I should call him out tomorrow. :)

Kieli

Add me to the pile, please.

I'm currently trying desperately to find a research lab before school starts. It's part of my graduation requirement to do an independent study and there are severe penalties if I'm not ready by the deadline.

One really stupid thing I completely forgot (but which is a no-brainer) is to prepare references! I was asked for them and stupidly did not have any on-hand. Now comes the mad scramble to contact places I haven't worked at for more than a year for a reference...

Ughhhh.

Vinci

Danish
Is good advice, but sadly not applicable to people without significant experience on the field.

Prior to the MBA, I had no experience in business at all. So I don't think it's inapplicable based on that - it's just a question of how you take what you've done in your life and communicate it in a value-focused, specific way.

I think the lesson is that often resumes are too generic due to their intended use as standardized documents that people plan to send to one and all. And that's an error, IMO.

Whether you focus on hobbies, on group affiliations, on education, etc., there are skills that carry over. Surely people believe, on some level anyway, that they're able to do the job they're applying for - it's just a matter of communicating clearly to the possible employer how.

Maybe you're right, though. My experience just says otherwise.

theWB27

"I've always had a problem with procrastination, and as I got further into my career I realized that it was usually because whenever I would get assigned a project, I didn't know where to start.

So, one day I started approaching my professors whenever they'd assign a big project, and ask them their opinion about where I should start. Their response would inform me about what I'd need to do, and that gave me the motivation to get started.

Nowadays I've moved beyond that, and more often than not I'm able to supply my own motivation to get things done. Every day I struggle with the temptation to procrastinate, but now I'm equipped with the tools to deal with it."

That's my go-to answer to the "What's your biggest weakness?" question. I stole it from someone else; feel free to steal it from me :)

I used this, kind of, to get a job. Except I use my writing as my motivation tool. In school it was hard as hell for me to write more than a page for a report. I always wanted to simplify or condense all the information into as little read as possible.

Then writing came along....had to fight my need to condense. Ended up writing 10 hours a day to pump a shitty 60 page script out of my fingertips. Rewrite and better format came out to 120 pages. 15 or so rewrites later I have a 93 page script.

They ask how long you been writing?

3 years I say. 3 finished scripts...and 4 or 5 laying around.

-------------------------------

It's a true story....but it does work.

EDIT- All of these college stories, plus what I've heard in person kind of makes me glad I haven't got into debt with that. I know it's hit or miss for people...but whoa.

I'm an expert

Just take a look at what you posted earlier:

What does one have to do with the other? Being good looking is also a part of the game, but has nothing to do with education prospects. Schools will pay you to go to them if you can ace one standardized test. Isn't that a huge burden off someone's back who can't afford more than a community college? It pretty much saved my life.

I posted before but I never get into specific details. Though, I suppose if you put together every post about my experience from different threads it wouldn't be hard to guess.

I mean if I'm totally honest the last time I walked into a place like walmart or mcdonalds.. it's been a long time. I understand what you're saying, and I didn't say those people don't work there now, I said the job wasn't designed for those people.

Or he can learn Excel, Access and/or SQL. Start teaching yourself.

He said he knew Office but I doubt he's ever used workbooks or messed around in an Access database. If he's going the teach yourself route then I definitely wouldn't pay for certificates, especially not shit like TESOL.

There was this hot girl in my engineering batch (you rarely see good looking girls in engineering). Anyways so she was fucking dumb. Didnt do a single lab by herself. Had different boy toy who helped her and sometimes did the whole shit for her. Barely passed exams. And in short she just made it till the end.

Today I found out she got a job offer from one amazing company, where I did my interview last month and was rejected. The interview was fucking hard, too many technical question. And this company asks you to submit your official transcript before the interview day.

Now I am in a huge shock, how the fuck did she get a job there. Not just me, but all my fellow engineers are wondering about the same thing and more fucked up thing is, she was on Europe trip whole summer after graduation while we were all applying for jobs here. And she comes back last months and lands on this brilliant job. Min 85k Annual package.

Even though I found a job, I still feel fucking terrible. Its no where near as nice as that and I also feel bad for one of my closest friend who did 16month internship in the same company, in the same department and his is topper of my year. And he wasn't even called for the interview.

Seeing some undeserving candidate taking your place is even more soul crushing :( she must have fucked the interviewer. Seriously though, she was too hot, I wont deny that. But a shittest engineering you will ever see.

Do you actually know the girl or is this all second hand info and hearsay? I don't know you, I don't know her, and I'm not gonna say shit like that don't happen lol. But even I don't hire the good looking guy if he's a total moron. There might be something you don't know about her that changes everything, or the company might have said we need someone like this to turn our public image around, we can deal with training her. Saying she fucked someone is a bit much though. If your story was the exact same but she was ugly, would you even make that assumption? Is it because of her looks or gender?

oneils

Are you sure she was dumb? I mean she got others to do her work for her and then landed a good job. For all you know she may have actually understood all of the subject matter in class but just didn't want to put any effort in until it was actually required.

Can't imagine she'd last long in the workplace if she is as useless as you think. But...some people do have the amazing ability of being carried their whole life. It's just rare that it doesn't eventually backfire.

This is a good one, and funnily enough I had an interviewee use that one on me when I asked him. I should call him out tomorrow. :)

you see. this is why I feel like interviews on most levels are a lie. mostly everything about them. both you and the interviewee know that the process is more about seeing if they are able to fit themselves into a system more-so than actually getting to know them and understanding their talents, skills and seeing how they can share a part of themselves with the company.

the whole corporate-commercial culture I'll never understand. It's bureaucrats talking to people that want to fit in and be bureaucrats.

They write books on how to interview properly; how does that even make sense? the point of the interview is to get to know someone but if you're placing all sorts of unwritten rules and restrictions on the interaction then it's kind of not really an interview anymore, more of a test. That's just the way it's set up in certain professions I suppose.

RP912

Banned
One big thing of advice I used to give clients at my old job is to go into a interview as yourself. Don't hide who you truly are but at the same time don't go too overboard. The worst thing an employer deals with is interviewing somebody that's a robot and have no mind of their own.

Be your own person.

rtcn63

^ My friend who is an engineer major had a girl like that in his class and somehow landed a job at Tesla which is what he wanted. Turns out she knew somebody inside that got her the position. Sad that's what it mostly comes down to when there are most likely better candidates for the job.

People vastly underestimate nepotism and the importance of being social. There are individuals who effectively will never be in need of internships or employment- even if they're very obviously a few screws shy of a 20-count box. I speak from experience.

Irobot82

Jobs who needs jobs? I got jobs for people in Atlanta!
Seriously though...I get some fat referrals right now for some key positions my company needs.

In regard to applying for jobs and whatnot. Most of mine jobs have come from people I know. Only once, did I get a job purely by application and impressing them.

Every interview you experience, every phone screen, every resume rewrite makes you better. It's a grind and through it, you eventually appear the best candidate.

Embrace the grind!

jacksnap

Neo Member

I've seen people totally unqualified for shit, having worked directly with them for long periods of time, land jobs that honestly they were utterly unsuitable for, while I was unemployed on my ass. It's frustrating and infuriating.

But it's a poisonous route to go down, and it doesn't do anyone any good to mull on it for too long (not saying you have been). I know I used to go pretty deep into this when I was in my funk, but in all honesty people get jobs for all sorts of reasons, and not all of them have to directly tie into either being pretty or being the best or quotas or shit. If someone like that improves and gets better once they're in an environment where dollar signs are attached then great, if they were hired for reasons that improve the workplace in ways you can't imagine then great, and if they get shitcanned because they are way out of their league then great.

Focusing on things you have no control over when job hunting will just bum you out. I'm not trying to sound like a guru or anything, but the only real thing you can count on is yourself when applying, so focusing on that is highest priority.

jacksnap

Neo Member
Those seems to be limited to undergraduate students down here...

Internships aren't the end all be all that people makes them out to be. If it's something you can do on your own, even in some tangential way, find some way to work that into your free time. Even if it's one day on the weekend there is probably something you can do on your own that'll be relevant to anyone wanting to hire in that field.

The worst is that when you finally do find work, recruiters will start ringing you non-stop asking if you're interested in this or that contract. That's the way it seems to me at least.

Guesong

Welp, my soul has been crushed.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bothered with university if it seemingly makes it so I can't win any selection process pertaining to "lesser" skills jobs, despite me absolutely wanting to work there because I find the environment so interesting. No, this job is not beneath me, dear madam, and I'm proud to say that my degree has given me additional toolsets I will be able to use to be an even greater asset.

That one hurts much more so than previous rejections. I'm trying to contact someone as to know why, how, what possibly could I have done more, but of course she's not answering. Hiding behind mass-sent emails with a generic message that gives you no information whatsoever.

I'm an expert

If you were overqualified it just means they're looking for a different type of candidate to mold. There are certain positions that really do want young and inexperienced.

WalkMan

Banned
Disclaimer: I am a temporary contracted worker at a company and am interviewing there today for a permanent position. Its in a different department, hence the interview.

Before landing the contracted position, I spent months last year looking for work while paying the bills doing Apple tech support. That period was kind of soul-crushing because I submitted countless applications that went nowhere, and had a handful of interviews that went nowhere. All the interviews had the same competency questions like "Tell us about a time when you displayed your adaptability by blah blah blah" etc. I didn't hate the Apple gig with all my being, but I couldn't see myself doing that for much longer than I did and remaining sane. Plus the pay was absolute shit, which served as a motivator for enduring the applications and interviews.

Prepping for today's interview has kind of taken me back to that period where I was just depressed and burned out from applying all over. I realize its a bit different since I already have my foot in the door here, but I'm dreading the questions and the sterile, cold feeling I get from these. But at the same time, its super important that I do well because if my contract runs out and I haven't landed a perma-gig, I'll be back to where I was last year.

Anyone else out there enduring the challenges of applying and doing interviews?

Wait how is it exhausting? You mean you don't have people sending you linkedin messages offering you interview spots or taking you out to lunch to wine and dine you?

ItIsOkBro

Dear ItIsOkBro,

Thank you very much for taking the time to meet with us with regard to the Intern position. After careful consideration, we have chosen not to move forward with your application at this time.

We greatly appreciate your interest and wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

Regards,
(redacted)

In my inbox today. ;_;

Top Bottom