• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

TrounceX

GAF, I have a job interview with a very large consulting firm. It's a video interview first. Should I be dressing in full formal attire for something like a video interview?

I'm leaning heavily towards yes, but it will help my anxiety if someone just confirms that it won't look stupid.

This is only my second job interview ever and I'm nervous as fuck.

NeOak

GAF, I have a job interview with a very large consulting firm. It's a video interview first. Should I be dressing in full formal attire for something like a video interview?

I'm leaning heavily towards yes, but it will help my anxiety if someone just confirms that it won't look stupid.

Yes. Dress the part. No need for the pants though.

blitz64

Yes, dress full formal. You have nothing to lose by dressing up.

cyborg009

Banned
I haven't back from two companies I've interviewed for over a week now. Is it safe to say that I didn't get the job and I should continue to look somewhere else? One told me they would contact me after a week and the other said the same thing too...

H1PSTER

Welp I've been trying to find a full time job for the past four years and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I seem to be totally unlucky...

... I've had temp roles, and interviews, but I never appear to get anywhere and I follow the "S.T.A.R. method", I have a portfolio and I've been told I come across as likable and intelligent... I just don't get it, the UK job market is god-awful for graduates.

I currently work freelance as a QA tester & graphic designer so there aren't really any gaps in my CV.

I haven't back from two companies I've interviewed for over a week now. Is it safe to say that I didn't get the job and I should continue to look somewhere else? One told me they would contact me after a week and the other said the same thing too...

Always keep looking, if you get offered something by another company you can either use it as leverage or say they were too late.

Flux

Sometimes larger companies take longer to move or take action. They could have HR or their hiring manager checking your references, credit score or criminal record. That's the step I'm sitting at. While you wait, keep applying. You never know which way they could go yet.

cyborg009

Banned
Welp I've been trying to find a full time job for the past four years and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I seem to be totally unlucky...

... I've had temp roles, and interviews, but I never appear to get anywhere and I follow the "S.T.A.R. method", I have a portfolio and I've been told I come across as likable and intelligent... I just don't get it, the UK job market is god-awful for graduates.

I currently work freelance as a QA tester & graphic designer so there aren't really any gaps in my CV.

Always keep looking, if you get offered something by another company you can either use it as leverage or say they were too late.

Sometimes larger companies take longer to move or take action. They could have HR or their hiring manager checking your references, credit score or criminal record. That's the step I'm sitting at. While you wait, keep applying. You never know which way they could go yet.
Yeah you guys are right, I'll keep looking while I wait. I've been slacking on my job hunting after getting 3 interviews.

Flux

Yeah you guys are right, I'll keep looking while I wait. I've been slacking on my job hunting after getting 3 interviews.
Same here. I didn't want to fill out any applications today because of my wishful thinking. I took a mini gaming break, then went back to searching on indeed and LinkedIn.

george_us

Had a Skype interview yesterday with my dream company and stuttered badly through out it. Ugh. I think I answered their questions fairly well but the stuttering killed me. During my thank you note I brought it up (I informed them prior to the interview as well) and said that it had nothing to do with my ability to perform the task but it still sucked nonetheless.

plidex

One week ago was the last of three interviews for a job, I haven't heard anything yet. I'm already going to put it on the "rejected" pile as I no longer expect for HR people to call me if I got rejected.

It was for a temp 6 month job, but I'm getting desperate so I was pretty excited because I though everything went well.

The only thing I can think could had harmed me is that they did the same good old tests that everybody does. Draw a man under the rain, the wartegg test, and the logical patterns test. At this point it can look like I'm cheating the tests because I already know how to do them.

It's hard to keep looking for jobs when you are excited about a current process.

I applied to another job listing which went up yesterday. Looks like it could be a nice opportunity, fingers crossed.

EDIT:
Had a Skype interview yesterday with my dream company and stuttered badly through out it. Ugh. I think I answered their questions fairly well but the stuttering killed me. During my thank you note I brought it up (I informed them prior to the interview as well) and said that it had nothing to do with my ability to perform the task but it still sucked nonetheless.

If you told them about it, I don't think it should be a problem. It could be a problem if they don't know the reason and just think that you are extremely nervous. But it also depends on the type of job that you would be doing.

cyborg009

Banned
I think its time for me to learn Spanish. I think I'm at a disadvantage by not doing so.

Same here. I didn't want to fill out any applications today because of my wishful thinking. I took a mini gaming break, then went back to searching on indeed and LinkedIn.

I think I can put those jobs on the rejected list.

TrounceX

Yes, dress full formal. You have nothing to lose by dressing up.

Yes. Dress the part. No need for the pants though.

Thanks for the advice, it made me feel more confident going into the interview.

But man, that was a rough interview. I hope I never have to do another video interview. They could see me, but I couldn't see them. Made it hard to judge reactions and react accordingly.

Somehow I got moved on to the next phase. I kind of screwed myself by putting on my resume that I had certain skills, when really I just had a knee deep understanding. Careful with this because you can get called out and it's embarrassing.

Deloitte in case anyone is wondering. It's definitely a dream job if I can land it, but this interview process has been killing me. Just want it to be over.

faint.

I have an interview tomorrow for a network administrator position I'm pretty underqualified for. But I passed the phone screen so it's worth a shot anyway. My recruiters told me the attire is business casual, however I planned on wearing a nice suit. They'll be showing me server rooms and the like but I'm used to doing this in formal attire from my previous employer, so dust and the like is not an issue.

I asked what the recruiter would recommend and she said BC. The CIO I'm meeting with is very attentive to detail and looks for candidates who listen (she's the one who said BC). Should I go with my gut and suit it up and address the "I know business casual is the dress clde but I believe a suit is necessary for any interview." Or should I trust the recruiter and go BC?

Don't wait for them to respond. If possible, call your contact and see what's up. If you don't have a phone # then email. I've definetly seen where hiring reqs get lost in the shuffle and you have to get someone to look at the position before anything happens.

I asked what the recruiter would recommend and she said BC. The CIO I'm meeting with is very attentive to detail and looks for candidates who listen (she's the one who said BC). Should I go with my gut and suit it up and address the "I know business casual is the dress clde but I believe a suit is necessary for any interview." Or should I trust the recruiter and go BC?

If they told you BC I would wear a dress shirt and tie but leave the coat at home.

Flux

I think its time for me to learn Spanish. I think I'm at a disadvantage by not doing so.

I think I can put those jobs on the rejected list.
Tough break. Keep at it. What are you using to learn Spanish and what makes it important if you don't mind me asking?

Has anyone created a website to showcase their skills and/or portfolio? I have a github account and a decent LinkedIn profile but I'm considering creating a wordpress site to combine the two/talk about things relevant to my industry.

I just finished a Master's degree program in December and now I'm trying desperately to find a job. I apply to 1-2 jobs a day (my field is somewhat specialized) and, as usual, the applications appear to be drifting off into the ether. I'm going to try another week or so of sending in applications through Indeed and the like, then I'm going to start cold-emailing people I find on LinkedIn and see if they'll at least meet up with me for coffee.

faint.

Has anyone created a website to showcase their skills and/or portfolio? I have a github account and a decent LinkedIn profile but I'm considering creating a wordpress site to combine the two/talk about things relevant to my industry.

I just finished a Master's degree program in December and now I'm trying desperately to find a job. I apply to 1-2 jobs a day (my field is somewhat specialized) and, as usual, the applications appear to be drifting off into the ether. I'm going to try another week or so of sending in applications through Indeed and the like, then I'm going to start cold-emailing people I find on LinkedIn and see if they'll at least meet up with me for coffee.

If you're in the IT/CS field, a GitHub account should suffice. Having your own website may be cool and allow you to stick out from the crowd, but it's something anyone an do these days, and won't reallyshow that you have additional skills, unless you really enjoy writing or the like. It certainly won't hurt you, but if I were a hiring manager in an IT/CS field that is not named web-development, I would certainly care more about a GitHub/Stackoverflow account than a website.

Just my 0.02.

cyborg009

Banned
Don't wait for them to respond. If possible, call your contact and see what's up. If you don't have a phone # then email. I've definetly seen where hiring reqs get lost in the shuffle and you have to get someone to look at the position before anything happens.

If they told you BC I would wear a dress shirt and tie but leave the coat at home.

Ok so my contacted got back to me and said they're finalizing everything right now and I'm one of the people who may get picked.

Tough break. Keep at it. What are you using to learn Spanish and what makes it important if you don't mind me asking?

I live in Miami which is like 80% Spanish.

It feels fucking awful to go right back looking for jobs. I feel like I'm not worth shit.

Didn't you recently get a job?

Biske

Certainly does make you feel worthless and awful.

Have an interview tomorrow, seems like a good place, good pay and all, people seem really nice, its not a dream job or a passion job, which oddly I find makes me feel better about the interview process.

I've had a few interviews and some of them, the tone was... like "we are all that and a bag of chips! WHAT UP!" But its not like they were anything above regular, fairly "entry level" type jobs, that kind of atmosphere is such a pain in the ass.

Its refreshing to have a kind of standard interview at a dull standard place.

If you're in the IT/CS field, a GitHub account should suffice. Having your own website may be cool and allow you to stick out from the crowd, but it's something anyone an do these days, and won't reallyshow that you have additional skills, unless you really enjoy writing or the like. It certainly won't hurt you, but if I were a hiring manager in an IT/CS field that is not named web-development, I would certainly care more about a GitHub/Stackoverflow account than a website.

Just my 0.02.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I may start one just to have one, but I won't link it on my resume like I've done with my GitHub.

My current job finished up in March and I have been applied like mad now and I hate it.

I also completely missed the boat on some nice public sector jobs here by a few weeks too which is a real bummer.

Flux

Ok so my contacted got back to me and said they're finalizing everything right now and I'm one of the people who may get picked.

I live in Miami which is like 80% Spanish.

That makes sense. It wouldn't hurt. At least if they ask about hobbies you can say you are in the process of learning the language.

plidex

One week ago was the last of three interviews for a job, I haven't heard anything yet. I'm already going to put it on the "rejected" pile as I no longer expect for HR people to call me if I got rejected.

It was for a temp 6 month job, but I'm getting desperate so I was pretty excited because I though everything went well.

I got the job! I start working on March and it will be until September, so I'll return here in around 6 months when I start looking again.

I'm not exactly happy, I'm more like relieved, I was at the tipping point, I really needed this job to be the one.

The positive thing that came out of this literally soul-crushing process is that I have learned my lesson, next time it will take me a lot more to decided to quit my job without having another one lined up.

Good luck everyone!!

MrNelson

Banned
Anyone have advice for applying to jobs from a long distance?

I've been trying to get a job closer to my family in Tampa, which is about 500 miles away from where I currently live and work (I do QA and data and analytics work at a Big 4 firm in the ATL metro area). The irony is that I landed this job 500 miles from home without even trying. I've been applying to things for the past year and I've only ever received one phone interview from a recruiter, and that didn't go any further than the one call. Back when I still lived there I was able to get several phone interviews without issue, with a few even leading to in-office interviews. I was kind of hoping that working at a Big 4 firm would help give me some sway when looking for other jobs, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me, at least from this distance. I've mentioned in cover letters that I've submitted that I'm looking to relocate to be closer to family, and even pay my own way if necessary. I really would rather avoid just quitting my current job, moving back in with my parents, and hoping to land something in the first few months there, especially with all the upcoming economic uncertainty caused by our new president.

Finally had a job offer today, after a lot of rejections. The annoying part was I would get interviews but end up number 2 or 3 in the final choices.

I feel your pain fellow gaffers. Keep at it, you can do it!

Volotaire

Managed to get an investment actuarial grad job! Really happy since the process was tough.

I've got an upcoming partner interview with a Big 4 firm for audit next week, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've been trying to get a job closer to my family in Tampa, which is about 500 miles away from where I currently live and work (I do QA and data and analytics work at a Big 4 firm in the ATL metro area). The irony is that I landed this job 500 miles from home without even trying. I've been applying to things for the past year and I've only ever received one phone interview from a recruiter, and that didn't go any further than the one call. Back when I still lived there I was able to get several phone interviews without issue, with a few even leading to in-office interviews. I was kind of hoping that working at a Big 4 firm would help give me some sway when looking for other jobs, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me, at least from this distance. I've mentioned in cover letters that I've submitted that I'm looking to relocate to be closer to family, and even pay my own way if necessary. I really would rather avoid just quitting my current job, moving back in with my parents, and hoping to land something in the first few months there, especially with all the upcoming economic uncertainty caused by our new president.

I would say keep applying and reaching out to recruiters that are local to Tampa. My boss from a previous company did exactly what you're looking to do. I'm in Atlanta as well. He relocated from Atlanta to Tampa to be closer to his family. Even though it's a different field compared to yours (digital marketing), he was able to do it.

Are you using your current address or your parents' address on your resume/cover letter? Maybe try using the local address and see if that helps at all. I'm actually doing the same thing (except I'm moving 3,000 miles) and I'm putting my parents' address on my resume.

MrNelson

Banned
Are you using your current address or your parents' address on your resume/cover letter? Maybe try using the local address and see if that helps at all. I'm actually doing the same thing (except I'm moving 3,000 miles) and I'm putting my parents' address on my resume.
I'm using my current address, because the last thing I want is to get caught with my pants down and get called in for an interview the next day that I won't be able to make because I either have to make an immediate 8 hour drive or buy an expensive last minute plane ticket, or they find out I actually live somewhere else when performing the background check.

dh4niel

I'll be looking for a new job while I have a week off next week. I'm shitting myself even sending an application in. I was out of a job for a year before my current job and I'm miserable where I am and can't stay there.

MrNelson

Banned
So how about that.

Today of all days I get a call back from a place. What's funny is that these are the same guys that called me ages ago. I'm more optimistic on this attempt mainly because the recruiter was ready to set up for a follow-up interview rather than just "we'll call you back if we decide to proceed".

Flux

So I got hired today. I've been searching since August of last year and spent so many hours a day filling out applications and going for interviews to be rejected. I feel gratified after all the effort. I wanted to thank everyone in this thread, directly or indirectly you have helped me push through and encouraged me to keep trying, while also giving out handy pointers.

I'm staying subbed to the thread and will try to help out where I can. I'm in the clinical research/statistics/pharmaceutical fields if that can direct any questions.

Makai

tumblr_okef7taxrc1vbwf2ko1_1280.png

I applied for a position last night, basically website admin. I heard back today and was invited for an interview for Tuesday. That seemed quite fast, that's got to be good?

I've never been to an in-person interview. I already know some things that I can bring up and I'm going to get some proper shoes at the weekend.

Volotaire

What are the types of typical questions that i should be asking before accepting a graduate role with a firm? I've had a look online but I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.

Flux

What are the types of typical questions that i should be asking before accepting a graduate role with a firm? I've had a look online but I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.

By graduate role, do you mean you finished school and are starting a job, or you are working on an advanced degree and it was a workplace component? Without knowing what type of firm, I guess just ask what your role and responsibilities are. You can show that you are invested in the firm by asking what the the organization chain is like so you learn if you can move up.

Slacker

Does "graduate role" mean your first job out of college?

Make sure you get all the details about compensation, including benefits. When I was looking last year I ended up making a spreadsheet to do the math for me because the offers I was getting differed wildly when the insurance cost was included, anywhere from around $450 to $1200(!) per month. They should have information with benefits, retirement, etc they can hand over to you.

Everything else I can think of is typically asked during the interview. If you don't know what the expectations of the position are, however, better to ask late than never.

Volotaire

By graduate role, do you mean you finished school and are starting a job, or you are working on an advanced degree and it was a workplace component? Without knowing what type of firm, I guess just ask what your role and responsibilities are. You can show that you are invested in the firm by asking what the the organization chain is like so you learn if you can move up.

Does "graduate role" mean your first job out of college?

Make sure you get all the details about compensation, including benefits. When I was looking last year I ended up making a spreadsheet to do the math for me because the offers I was getting differed wildly when the insurance cost was included, anywhere from around $450 to $1200(!) per month. They should have information with benefits, retirement, etc they can hand over to you.

Everything else I can think of is typically asked during the interview. If you don't know what the expectations of the position are, however, better to ask late than never.

By graduate I mean finished university (school) and accepting a first job. Thanks for the info.

Flux

By graduate I mean finished university (school) and accepting a first job. Thanks for the info.

Not a problem. I think it was just a clarity question since it's more commonly used to describe graduate school like a Masters, MBA, PhD.

Prepare yourself for this one then, they will ask what you see yourself doing with the company in 5 and 10 years from now. That seemed to be the go-to move to ask fresh graduates. I got that every single interview I had in recent memory.

I'm using my current address, because the last thing I want is to get caught with my pants down and get called in for an interview the next day that I won't be able to make because I either have to make an immediate 8 hour drive or buy an expensive last minute plane ticket, or they find out I actually live somewhere else when performing the background check.

Fair enough. Sounds like a moot point anyway since you got a callback. Congrats!

Edited to add that you could always take your address off your resume, too. I actually think I'm going to do that as it's becoming more and more standard.

Hollycat

Well... I've now been "working" as a taxi driver for months and I've started having many days where I actually lose money. I'm supposed to move in somewhere new next week and I'm going to have to sell some stuff (that I don't use) to make it happen.

Finding a job is a lot harder than it should be. I've now applied to over 200 places since June and have only had 4 interviews and haven't gotten any work. I cannot take being a taxi driver any more. Between the constant sexual advances from riders and making far less than minimum wage, I can't take it. Hopefully the applications I filled out yesterday will result in work quickly, because I'm losing my marbles.

MrNelson

Banned
Had my follow-up interview today. It went well enough to get me a phone interview with a hiring manager on Monday.

Now I have to spend the weekend re-learning Linux since I haven't messed with it in years and the recruiter said that the next interview would be a bit more technical.

Top Bottom