• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

cyborg009

Banned
Yes, I had for all of a week and a day. I thought finally things are going to work out for me, then life said, nah you can't be shit on my watch.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227935872&postcount=15655

On top of that I found out today that one of the girls is still working there who hardly showed up to work. I am immensely pissed!

Damn dude that sucks.

Had my follow-up interview today. It went well enough to get me a phone interview with a hiring manager on Monday.

Now I have to spend the weekend re-learning Linux since I haven't messed with it in years and the recruiter said that the next interview would be a bit more technical.

I feel like I fell off programming. I haven't had much use for it since graduating. I've been learning react JS on the side a bit.

Slacker

Maximus P

Ok. So I've been with the same company for over 10 years now in various departments at various levels. I actually just received a very decent bonus and have been told that I'm very likely getting a promotion in the coming months. The problem is,is that I don't find my job challenging anymore and the thought of working for the same company for the rest of my life scares the shit out of me.

So, totally spontaneously I applied for another job, it's not in my field and it's totally out of my comfort zone but I thought what the heck and quickly typed up my CV and sent it in to see what they thought, I didn't think I stood a chance at all as I have no hands on experience in the roll, but out of the blue today I received a phone call and ended up doing a phone interview, and they liked me becuase they want me to come in for an assessment on the 10th of Feb.

I'm starting to panic now. I've conducted loads of interviews for the company I work for but I haven't been on the other side of that desk for years. In fact I'm conducting interviews on the same day I have an interview so I'll see it from both perspectives. I'm not even totally sure I want the job, but I want to see what they can offer and if the job sounds as good as it does on paper.

I may be back for advice soon.

Maximus P

When getting rejected from jobs do you guys just get an email or just silence.

My Wife applied for a job quite recently. She had a phone interview and 2 sit down interviews which she said went very well indeed and she was certain that she'd be getting a call, and then she heard nothing, not a letter, not an email, nothing. Only 3 people made it to the second interview so it wasn't like they had to do a lot to let people know the situation.

It pissed me off a bit that. Cowards.

I always make sure to give our candidates a call as soon as I can when I've been conducting interviews.

In the end I told her that it's probably for the best that she doesn't work for a company thats run like that.

MrNelson

Banned

For me it has been dependent on how far along I was.

Some I get absolutely nothing, the rest are either automated emails or an email from the recruiter if it went far enough. None of them ever want to give up where you fell short though, even if you ask.

Volotaire

For formal graduate programmes, I get an email.

For less formal programmes like smaller firms offering off cycle, non permanent internships, I will have to follow up to chase them about the application because of their policy of non response.

For applications in the later stages (interview) for formal programmes, usually the response (the firms usually state in their application policy) is feedback through a telephone call/email on your assessment centre or senior interview.

Biske

In my latest round of the job search my rejections have all been the polite/generic emails. Sometimes a literal automated response, sometimes the recruiter writes a personal response.

While its better than getting no response at all. The whole process is incredibly frustrating. Really no way to know what you are doing wrong. And I get it.

You can't exactly tell people the truth, it would just create a whole mess, so I don't blame them. But when you give it a good go and "Sorry, no, but hey keep trying for later positions"

cyborg009

Banned
Thanks guys, I really felt like I killed that interview too. I assumed the lack of response was because he wanted the new hire to start the second week of February.

I prefer the non-response than being reminded of my failure. If I don't get a phone call after two days then I assume I didn't get shit.

I rather get a rejected, so I don't get my hopes up.

Noobcraft

Working my network landed me a potential position in a great lab, but it's also unpaid. Hopefully it will help me network into a paid position relatively quickly, either in that lab or another. Either way it's better than just waiting around for my job applications to be reviewed.

Flux

Working my network landed me a potential position in a great lab, but it's also unpaid. Hopefully it will help me network into a paid position relatively quickly, either in that lab or another. Either way it's better than just waiting around for my job applications to be reviewed.

It also helps cover any employment gaps. And yeah from my lab experience, you can still have time to squeeze applications here and there. Plus, maybe you can pick up some new techniques.

orzLueq.png

🤔

Noobcraft

It also helps cover any employment gaps. And yeah from my lab experience, you can still have time to squeeze applications here and there. Plus, maybe you can pick up some new techniques.
Yeah that's the goal. It's a preventative cardiology research lab so a lot of the research is genetics based, and since I'm looking into genetic counseling programs a few years down the road it should be an excellent experience. I'm interviewing sometime this afternoon so hopefully it all goes well :D

Been hitting the job hunt hard the last week and finally got my first big wave on rejections.
AnchoredBeneficialBushbaby-size_restricted.gif

I remember this feeling. Meh. Another few days of rejections and Ill become a heartless rock that lets rejection roll off me like the rain.

I got till mid March to find something. I can do it.

Mr. F

Banned
Is it ever worth trying to appeal to people when you are super interested and passionate in a position but lack some of the specific experience requested in the posting?

I know myself well enough that I can make it work and would love the opportunity to learn, but I don't know if it comes off as entitled to suggest my capability. I'm assuming the more likely answer is that I would simply get passed over because it's a business not a school yadda yadda.

Noobcraft

Is it ever worth trying to appeal to people when you are super interested and passionate in a position but lack some of the specific experience requested in the posting?

I know myself well enough that I can make it work and would love the opportunity to learn, but I don't know if it comes off as entitled to suggest my capability. I'm assuming the more likely answer is that I would simply get passed over because it's a business not a school yadda yadda.
It's worth a shot. Good communication skills and enthusiasm can get people pretty far.

That's a tough one, I feel most positions can be learned during the training phase but your resume is the first impression. Unless it's a very technical job like programming then thats a different world.

Doesn't hurt to apply but from my experience dont get your hopes up.

Volotaire

You could either email recruitment or HR concerning if the lack of expereince is a 'red line', or go for it anyway as it will be a great opportunity to improve your writing skills in the competency questions or cover letter that you will write.

cyborg009

Banned
I asked the guy for a follow up and he said he had some issues and should give me a final answer this week. This is pretty funny considering the other company I applied for had issues getting me the second interview.
They got hacked and their database was deleted

Do some research on the topic and be honest that you have no experience in that area. Work for me when a company asked if I knew how to program in magento

you can express this in a well thought out personal cover letter. You got this!

Companies will hire people based on their potential but it really helps to have some kind of in. Do you know anyone there that can recommend you based on the other reasons your describing?

Volotaire

whats the best way to answer "where do you see yourself in 5-10 years"?

I would do the following:

Transitional dynamics:

- If I am doing a professional qualification like the audit qualifications, I will talk about the transitions of studying, how I will study to achieve it (collaboration, etc) and the timeframe. How I will be using this in the future.

- Corporate resposobililty roles and taking an active role in helping the community through specific programmes

My goals

- Getting to a managerial position: I will talk about any specific leadership programmes the firm has for helping employees get into managerial roles, and taking part in them. I will also say why I want to do this i..e client facing/generating in professional services.

- I will end it by saying, despite this plan, given that my ideas of what sector I wanted to work in during my university career changed enormously, I will be open to new opportunities within the firm i.e. working in a different practice area to gain new skills, training programmes, etc.

Timeframe, being open, being realistic but having a solid plan should work. Combine this with the firm's values.

I would do the following:

thanks

i'm always so stumped. I hate interviews. never do well in them and dont think they show who i am or what i can do or true potential.

I'm a freelance animator and I had no real good response when i went in for an interview at a studio looking for a staff animator.

Slacker

whats the best way to answer "where do you see yourself in 5-10 years"?

Best answers (IMO) are ambitious but a little vague. Obviously something like "I'm gonna be the CEO I'm gonna build tall buildings all over the world with ma name on 'em" is not advisable, nor is "probably same thing as now, I dunno."

Talk about what skills you want to increase. About any personal goals you've set for yourself. Depending on the company, saying you want to move up to another role (or a management role) may be OK too.

In IT I typically mention a few skills I'd like to learn better, projects I'd like to accomplish, etc.

Charcoal

So I've applied to ~20 or so IT/ Network engineer internships around the country with some as recent as this past week, but most in late November/ early December.

Out of those 20, 8 have rejected me so far without any form of initial contact or interview.

I know some if not most companies view intern roles as a position suited for juniors or seniors. Could the fact that I'm a sophomore be an automatic DQ, or should I further tweak my resume?

cyborg009

Banned
I'm not sure if I'll want to work for a company that was hacked so easily.

So I've applied to ~20 or so IT/ Network engineer internships around the country with some as recent as this past week, but most in late November/ early December.

Out of those 20, 8 have rejected me so far without any form of initial contact or interview.

I know some if not most companies view intern roles as a position suited for juniors or seniors. Could the fact that I'm a sophomore be an automatic DQ, or should I further tweak my resume?

I got my first IT internship after graduation. The funny thing is that their not calling it a "Internship" so they won't have to pay me.

Maybe I should apply to McDonald's. I feel like they won't hire me because I'm too educated.

you have a B.S ?

Flux

Yeah that's the goal. It's a preventative cardiology research lab so a lot of the research is genetics based, and since I'm looking into genetic counseling programs a few years down the road it should be an excellent experience. I'm interviewing sometime this afternoon so hopefully it all goes well :D
Cool that's the field I'm in. Learn some next gen seq and CRISPR to be a popular hire. You may never need those as a counsellor, but it opens so many doors.

Noobcraft

Cool that's the field I'm in. Learn some next gen seq and CRISPR to be a popular hire. You may never need those as a counsellor, but it opens so many doors.
I've dabbled in CRISPR during my internship, but I didn't get to see the experiment through. It looks like my lab is prepping for a large scale sequencing study so maybe I'll get some experience with next gen seq. They want 3 letters of recommendation by Wednesday (not going to happen) for me to start Monday, but they're OK with starting me later if they don't receive them in time.

I'm not sure if I'll want to work for a company that was hacked so easily.

I got my first IT internship after graduation. The funny thing is that their not calling it a "Internship" so they won't have to pay me.

you have a B.S ?

B.A. M.A. and a AA

You could always leave your education off your resume if you think it will hurt at a place.

I feel like I spent too many years of my life in school to pretend like I don't have a degree.

So I applied for a job last Monday night because I wanted to get things moving now so I don't wait around and then move near the deadline (I'm going to move with my girlfriend). I applied to places in the location she's going at. So then the next morning (Tuesday), I got a call from one of the places. Set up a video interview for Thursday morning and then I got a phone call by 12:30PM with an offer. Holy shit... I'm 2 for 2 in terms of interviews becoming jobs and now I'm moving. Moving out of my dad's place. Going to be fun, scary and somewhat new (I used to live in an apartment for college).

Maximus P

Was going through some CVs earlier as I'm conducting some interviews for a couple of positions that have come up at the company.

The very first CV has a 5 page document attached titled 'why you should hire me'. Another CV is multicoloured, like every line is a different colour, like a rainbow. Then there's the ones where the candidates will add the most pointless shit to their skills. I'm not kidding one guy actually had 'voted best dancer at my prom' in his skills.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks.

Flux

I've dabbled in CRISPR during my internship, but I didn't get to see the experiment through. It looks like my lab is prepping for a large scale sequencing study so maybe I'll get some experience with next gen seq. They want 3 letters of recommendation by Wednesday (not going to happen) for me to start Monday, but they're OK with starting me later if they don't receive them in time.

As long as you have the 3 references for the letters that's not a problem in my view. I got hired when only 1/3 references responded so who knows.

NeOak

Was going through some CVs earlier as I'm conducting some interviews for a couple of positions that have come up at the company.

The very first CV has a 5 page document attached titled 'why you should hire me'. Another CV is multicoloured, like every line is a different colour, like a rainbow. Then there's the ones where the candidates will add the most pointless shit to their skills. I'm not kidding one guy actually had 'voted best dancer at my prom' in his skills.

well, they wanted to be noticed.

You noticed them.
for the wrong reasons

Biske

B.A. M.A. and a AA

I feel like I spent too many years of my life to pretend like I don't have a degree.

Sure, but the whole "over qualified, over educated" blah blah 'Too good for here, if we hire this big shot he will be gone in a few months' is a real thing, so while a lot of people are familiar with pumping up and sprucing up their resumes, a lot of people aren't as aware of pruning it down to target places as well.

Noobcraft

Sure, but the whole "over qualified, over educated" blah blah 'Too good for here, if we hire this big shot he will be gone in a few months' is a real thing, so while a lot of people are familiar with pumping up and sprucing up their resumes, a lot of people aren't as aware of pruning it down to target places as well.
Yeah I witnessed something like that in a job I had a few years ago. My manager was looking over a resume passed on from HR and it mentioned that the candidates previous pay was $20/hour. He immediately dismissed it because that's twice what he'd get paid (retail job) at the store.

I lost it at rainbow CV..OMG!

I completed my first ever in-person interview today. I think it went a hell of a lot better than a phone interview I had before! I was barely nervous, which is very uncommon for me. I saw the guy smirk when I mentioned when the company was founded. Anyway, they are going to make a decision today so hopefully I get some good news tomorrow!

Biske

I've pondered creating jackass joke resumes and applying at places for funsies.

I wouldn't doubt if people get frustrated as hell and think "next one, gonna be a rainbow resume"

Though I also imagine sometimes people do it as a legit "get noticed" strategy.

cyborg009

Banned
Ok I finally got a call for that help desk job! I told them I'll give them the final answer on Thursday(I should've told them friday) but I'm hoping the other company calls me instead since its overall better.

Mr. F

Banned
It's worth a shot. Good communication skills and enthusiasm can get people pretty far.

That's a tough one, I feel most positions can be learned during the training phase but your resume is the first impression. Unless it's a very technical job like programming then thats a different world.

Doesn't hurt to apply but from my experience dont get your hopes up.

You could either email recruitment or HR concerning if the lack of expereince is a 'red line', or go for it anyway as it will be a great opportunity to improve your writing skills in the competency questions or cover letter that you will write.

Do some research on the topic and be honest that you have no experience in that area. Work for me when a company asked if I knew how to program in magento

you can express this in a well thought out personal cover letter. You got this!

Companies will hire people based on their potential but it really helps to have some kind of in. Do you know anyone there that can recommend you based on the other reasons your describing?

Thank you all for your feedback! Wasn't expecting such a response. :)

The job is in the same field as I'm in (design) but calls for a few instances of experience that is a bit more senior than what I currently have. Lots of soft skills in common though, I'm hoping I can make a case for myself. We'll see.

rekkins

Neo Member
So I could use a little help. My brother was "terminated" last week and is now on a job hunt. To give a little back story, my brother and I have worked in the Shipping department of a company started by our uncle for about 5 years now. Started doing a few things here and there, then part time and eventually full time right before he sold the company. After 3 years of new management, ups and downs, and eventually no work at all in the shop, they let go of half of the workforce in an afternoon, including my brother.

This has been our only job and our Uncle just said to come in so no experience with interviews or the act of searching for a job. My brother has been working on his resume and is starting to apply to jobs on Indeed but I think he's a little lost (I know I will be!). Are there any tips I could give him or ways to keep him encouraged?

I appreciate any help, I think I'll be needing myself soon enough anyway!

Top Bottom