• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Cronen

Had an interview last week for a promotion at work. Would mean going from a trainee position to a junior software engineer.

Got the email today to say I was unsuccessful. Feeling super disappointed in myself. Out of the 8 of us that applied for the roles (14 available) only two of us got it.

I think what's bummed me out the most is that I was thinking about how the extra money would really help me out paying off the last of my debt a lot quicker. That rug has been pulled out from under me.

Waiting for a phone interview that was meant to be between 1pm and 2pm

It is now 1.58pm.

Grrrr

Not a expert but they might ask questions but whatever they might have questions about wasn't big enough for them to toss your application out.

Once you get the call for a face to face interview you are in the running.

email them ASAP! I had the same thing happen to me last month( think I posted it here) and I just emailed them.

cyborg009

Banned
Waiting for a phone interview that was meant to be between 1pm and 2pm

It is now 1.58pm.

Grrrr

Not a expert but they might ask questions but whatever they might have questions about wasn't big enough for them to toss your application out.

Once you get the call for a face to face interview you are in the running.

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I waited all day for the call then the next morning they rescheduled the interview with me.

Mr. F

Banned
emergency advice for an interview starting in literally 2 mins;

is there a non-self deprecating way to ask why a recruiter was interested in your experience? I'm interviewing for a role that is way senior than what I've done before and doesn't feel entirely related to my field. The fact it was a cold call makes me curious how they even found me.

jey_16

Banned
so need some advice GAF, got turned down for a promotion and feeling very bitter about the whole thing. Did everything right for 3+ years, crazy hours, stepped up when ever it was required. Was always told by my manager that I was doing a great job and then when the promotion came up, they ended up giving the job to someone with less experience and who had been in the team less time as me, possibly due to the connections he has with more senior people in the business. Makes you realise that doing a good job, doesn't really guarantee you anything

trying to get over it but its hard, especially since I will be reporting to the guy who got the promotion! Now, another position has opened up in a different department, it would be more of a sideways move in terms of position and salary but it's definitely something I am interested in and would possibly open up other opportunities up the ladder in the future, have an interview scheduled next week but i'm debating if I should take it if they do offer it or just leave the business altogether for more money and a more senior position at another company

the company is a good place to work at though and in terms of opportunities, they are quite large so there possibly might be more coming up, at least outside my current department

just a bit unsure at what I should be doing in this situation......

Rush_Khan

Sorry, I don't know where else to put this.

What exactly is "One year’s personal reference details"? A company is asking this from me.

Flux

Sorry, I don't know where else to put this.

What exactly is "One year’s personal reference details"? A company is asking this from me.

Contact information for you references who can attest to your skills or previous employment.
Phone, email address sort of thing.

is there a non-self deprecating way to ask why a recruiter was interested in your experience? I'm interviewing for a role that is way senior than what I've done before and doesn't feel entirely related to my field. The fact it was a cold call makes me curious how they even found me.

Don't ask. Jesus.

Makai

so need some advice GAF, got turned down for a promotion and feeling very bitter about the whole thing. Did everything right for 3+ years, crazy hours, stepped up when ever it was required. Was always told by my manager that I was doing a great job and then when the promotion came up, they ended up giving the job to someone with less experience and who had been in the team less time as me, possibly due to the connections he has with more senior people in the business. Makes you realise that doing a good job, doesn't really guarantee you anything

trying to get over it but its hard, especially since I will be reporting to the guy who got the promotion! Now, another position has opened up in a different department, it would be more of a sideways move in terms of position and salary but it's definitely something I am interested in and would possibly open up other opportunities up the ladder in the future, have an interview scheduled next week but i'm debating if I should take it if they do offer it or just leave the business altogether for more money and a more senior position at another company

the company is a good place to work at though and in terms of opportunities, they are quite large so there possibly might be more coming up, at least outside my current department

I've always seen the people who put in the least hours get promoted.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member

Go for that lateral move. It will give you a change of pace or scenery while you consider other options.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
I had a killer interview interview over a week ago with a big company and I even sent a thank you email (same day. Yikes. Shoulda waited a day ). Haven't heard anything back. Time to forget about it.

Flux

I had a killer interview interview over a week ago with a big company and I even sent a thank you email (same day. Yikes. Shoulda waited a day ). Haven't heard anything back. Time to forget about it.

I wouldn't rule it out yet. If it is a large company, they have several layers of management and HR to go through. They are usually just slower. For them 2 weeks is fair notice.

Baliis

I wouldn't rule it out yet. If it is a large company, they have several layers of management and HR to go through. They are usually just slower. For them 2 weeks is fair notice.

For the job in in right now it took like 3 weeks for all the paper work to get signed because all the upper management people that had to approve it were in Europe at the time, and that was just for transferring me from one position with the company to another.

george_us

Sent a follow up to the recruiter that's been handling the hiring process with me about next steps, and she said that the lead recruiter would be in touch with me soon. They really wanna drag this out huh.

Salamando

What are some good resources for getting your resume critiqued? I've been at my current place for the past ten years, and recent goings-on indicate I need to get the hell out.
They're sending me into meetings without telling me anything about them, they're months behind on health insurance reimbursement, and just this week my paycheck was short a couple thousand dollars.

I'm in software engineering...should I include quantifiable metrics of my successes? (EX reduced runtime complexity of a specific algorithm from n^2 to n log n, or developed algorithm for real-time obfuscation of data, capable of handling 10k lines per second)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is going back to school for something you want a possibility? I know it's costly, but some colleges and universities offer more focused associate degree and certificates. Some of those even have coop for job placements.

I have thought about it but as you said it's costly. I wouldn't even know where to begin

Zojirushi

Was there some sort of formal application process and the other guy got it or was it just handed to him?

It's always about the numbers for a recruiter. So they see some keywords on your resume that may line up for a role they are trying to fill and will contact you. Many recruiters are highly incentivized financially, but are also graded at work on the number of submittals and interviews they have setup.

Just understand this when a recruiter contacts you, they are ultimately in it for them.. their numbers and their commission. Good recruiters won't waste your time, but that is also waiting both their time and their clients time. But not all recruiters are good recruiters. Many have sales backgrounds and jump from job to job every other year and will just pull "numbers" every month to not get fired and keep a steady paycheck.

Recruiters aren't bad, they're good. Just check your expectations at the door.

Flux

I have thought about it but as you said it's costly. I wouldn't even know where to begin
You could always call up your local college. Most have a mature student category and it kind of fits with wanting to go back to school for new skills. I wouldn't know, but maybe it could help to talk to someone in that position. Atleast if you find something that interests you, you can find really out finances next.

Minamu

Sigh, another perfect job opportunity failed :/ The interview went well I thought, and they started it by saying I shouldn't be nervous due to a lack of experience, and yet I wasn't a good fit for a role I have some experience in. 4 years of education in a relevant field... Didn't even get a chance to get prove myself with a work test :(

Been a longtime lurker in this thread for a longtime, but I figure that i would go and post in here now thar I'm looking for a new job.

Currently employed full-time at a gainfully employed job in the Silicon Valley, but am looking actively for something new and exciting as my current job is in a stale industry. Anyways, was losing confidence that I could still pull interviews as I've been applying off/on past year without much success but just had a rather successful phone interview. Will be interesting to see what results from this!

Sarek

Do you guys often call the company after sending them your application / CV? Many people have recommended it to me, but the few times I've done it I feel it always seems pretty akward. I of course try to think of some questions before calling, but it still seems like I'm not really raising my chances of getting the job.

Flux

Do you guys often call the company after sending them your application / CV? Many people have recommended it to me, but the few times I've done it I feel it always seems pretty akward. I of course try to think of some questions before calling, but it still seems like I'm not really raising my chances of getting the job.
I never did this and didn't hear about doing before. Many companies explicitly say not to contact them by phone directly in applications. So I can't really say if it's a good idea.

Minamu

What's the word on sending a thank you email after having an interview? I've started doing it as a courtesy but I haven't seen any positive results from it.

Also, is it a good idea to ask for feedback on why the company turned you down? I feel kinda needy when I do it and the amount of constructive feedback I've received isn't all that great.

Flux

What's the word on sending a thank you email after having an interview? I've started doing it as a courtesy but I haven't seen any positive results from it.

Also, is it a good idea to ask for feedback on why the company turned you down? I feel kinda needy when I do it and the amount of constructive feedback I've received isn't all that great.
Try to always send a letter as a courtesy. No letter is going to put you above other candidates, it's not usually a factor.

You could try to ask for feedback. Not many HR people would put in the effort. Maybe if you felt you had a good interview or multiple interviews but no offer you could try then.

Biske

I never send an email after interviews.

Usually asking for feedback is pointless. You'll almost always get a polite "legalese" went with other candidates, kind of non answer.

Minamu

Try to always send a letter as a courtesy. No letter is going to put you above other candidates, it's not usually a factor.

You could try to ask for feedback. Not many HR people would put in the effort. Maybe if you felt you had a good interview or multiple interviews but no offer you could try then.

I never send an email after interviews.

Usually asking for feedback is pointless. You'll almost always get a polite "legalese" went with other candidates, kind of non answer.

Thanks, both of you. I think I already know why they went with someone else this time (they went kinda silent when I told them my salary requirement, even though I went below the field's average), but yeah, legalese is pretty much all you ever get, if anything at all. Oh well, on to the next one!

Sarek

I never did this and didn't hear about doing before. Many companies explicitly say not to contact them by phone directly in applications. So I can't really say if it's a good idea.

Well I didn't call anyone and less than 24 hours after sending my application I got asked if I could come to an interview. It went well and I'm starting my first job as an civil engineer trainee next week. The people also straight out said that they are training me to be full time employee of the company once I graduate in 2 years. Will be working part time during winters and full time during summers. SUCCESS!!!!

Flux

Well I didn't call anyone and less than 24 hours after sending my application I got asked if I could come to an interview. It went well and I'm starting my first job as an civil engineer trainee next week. The people also straight out said that they are training me to be full time employee of the company once I graduate in 2 years. Will be working part time during winters and full time during summers. SUCCESS!!!!
Awesome congratulations man. I guess your question is still kind of an unknown because for that fast a response, I think they really found their candidate in you.

Flux

Thanks, both of you. I think I already know why they went with someone else this time (they went kinda silent when I told them my salary requirement, even though I went below the field's average), but yeah, legalese is pretty much all you ever get, if anything at all. Oh well, on to the next one!
Hmm well it's their loss if salary is the only thing preventing your hire. They'll go the cheap road and have someone mediocre instead. You had the right answer by doing the search on salary expectations.

Minamu

Hmm well it's their loss if salary is the only thing preventing your hire. They'll go the cheap road and have someone mediocre instead. You had the right answer by doing the search on salary expectations.
Thanks, man. That's good to hear :)

Window

I've been out of a job for 8 months now since I left my previous (and first ever full time) position. This thread has kept me going so thanks to everyone here. I've finally had an offer (though the on a contract basis which is yet to be signed and finalised) with a substantially higher salary than what I had before. I hope I can hold on to it and perform well. Good luck to everyone else here, I know what's it like.

I've been out of a job for 8 months now since I left my previous (and first ever full time) position. This thread has kept me going so thanks to everyone here. I've finally had an offer (though the on a contract basis which is yet to be signed and finalised) with a substantially higher salary than what I had before. I hope I can hold on to it and perform well. Good luck to everyone else here, I know what's it like.
Congratulations! Any idea how long the contract will be for?

sojour

Kind of a shitty week.

Interviewed for 2 jobs recently at the same state department (but different branches) and got recommendations (but not for sure offers) for both. Great, right? Except I got a phone call on Monday that I needed to turn down a recommendation in order to continue with one of them (at least that's what I understood). Did that, now they are telling me that wasn't the case (needing to turn down one) and the one I chose that I thought I was going to get said they want another round of interview.

Just fantastic.

Minamu

Today I found out that my closest boss have been having interviews at another company, and he's waiting for another callback from within the company. For various reasons, all night staff are either sick of the job in general and want to leave or want to move on with their lives. One guy and a close friend at that has quit because of lousy hours/pay and a sucky manager. Another is likely leaving soon due to higher studies. Another new recruit has been looking for steadier work since day one. One guy, the union rep, is apparently searching as well behind the scenes. The manager's best friend (and yeah, the conflicts of interest are massive) is also looking for work and interviewing, news to everyone likely. That leaves two people in the entire company who are apparently satisfied with everything. TIL our manager is moving half across the country, closer to headquarters, in two weeks and it's not even official yet. The rats are abandoning the ship, much? Extra suspicious as we've learned in the last two weeks or so, three smaller headquarters are gonna get shut down come summer. Seems I'm on the right track trying to leave as well :/ Having a job ain't what it used to be (?)

so i really want to work for delta, but they're not hiring for my position right now

i just graduated from college, and it could be six months before that position is posted...

do i keep working in retail until then? or should i look for college graduate work? what kind of job would i even look for, given that my degree was a big old nothingburger? aagh

LNBL

Applied for an Marketing consultant traineeship at one of the bigger independent marketing consultancies and had my first interview today which went rather well I think. Problem is they are interviewing 22 people atm for 5 -8 positions within their academy. I reaaaaalllyyyy want this position, but damn that's a lot of candidates.

Flux

Applied for an Marketing consultant traineeship at one of the bigger independent marketing consultancies and had my first interview today which went rather well I think. Problem is they are interviewing 22 people atm for 5 -8 positions within their academy. I reaaaaalllyyyy want this position, but damn that's a lot of candidates.
That's about a 25-33% chance. Not to get you down or give you the wrong impression, but most jobs today are ultra competitive with lower 'odds'.

Don't think about that in your next interview. It only works against you if you start trying to figure out what other candidates are like.

IISANDERII

Is this legit?

Dear xxxxx

Our business is growing and we're sensing we need to hire new employees for a new office.
This position will be based in Toronto and will be home based until a probation period has been completed.
We'd have to do some renovating to get our new office ready to open. New office set to open in roughly 2 weeks,
you can start working for us now. I work from home remotely until the office is ready.

You will work from 9AM-6PM on a flexible basis, Monday through Friday. It considered on full-time. The part-time is 2-3 hours per day. It is referring to the time zone in Toronto.

You will receive money orders from our customers and clients to send to suppliers of goods/services.
Additional duties include resolving customer issues, filling orders, and inspecting merchandise. Act as back-up to Manager in performing business operations duties.
Sort and distribute mails and faxes to respective personnel. Store, file and retrieve corporate documents and reports as and when needed.
Maintain logs and spreadsheets for all office activities. The foreign and overseas firms works for us as contractors. (Example: USA, India, Czech Republic, Poland, China).
They create consulting software, database design and web applications Etc. Overseas developers are often more productive.
Software projects using overseas developers can save a company 30 percent or more. Much of the savings is due to low wages and inexpensive office space
that more than make up for the high cost of communications and Internet connectivity. Add the technology and education infrastructure in such countries
as India, Czech Republic, Poland and China, and we have outsourcing heaven.

All training is done on the job during the probation period. I will inform you all the tasks and details from each individual task.

Probationary Period: 7 days; 5 percents for every completed order; Home Based.
After the 7 day probationary period ends, you will be getting paid weekly(direct deposit/Interac e-Transfer).
Salary is associated with employee compensation quoted on an annual basis.
Part-Time/$445 (CDN) per week + 5 percents for every completed order ($23,140.00 (CDN) per year).
Full-Time/$925 (CDN) per week + 5 percents for every completed order ($48,100.00 (CDN) per year).

I will be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Catherine Curtis
catherine.curtis@innosightgroup.com
Innosight Consulting Partners, LLC.
Branch (CA): +1 902 702 8728
www.innosightgroup.com

Is this legit?

Dear xxxxx

Our business is growing and we're sensing we need to hire new employees for a new office.
This position will be based in Toronto and will be home based until a probation period has been completed.
We'd have to do some renovating to get our new office ready to open. New office set to open in roughly 2 weeks,
you can start working for us now. I work from home remotely until the office is ready.

You will work from 9AM-6PM on a flexible basis, Monday through Friday. It considered on full-time. The part-time is 2-3 hours per day. It is referring to the time zone in Toronto.

You will receive money orders from our customers and clients to send to suppliers of goods/services.
Additional duties include resolving customer issues, filling orders, and inspecting merchandise. Act as back-up to Manager in performing business operations duties.
Sort and distribute mails and faxes to respective personnel. Store, file and retrieve corporate documents and reports as and when needed.
Maintain logs and spreadsheets for all office activities. The foreign and overseas firms works for us as contractors. (Example: USA, India, Czech Republic, Poland, China).
They create consulting software, database design and web applications Etc. Overseas developers are often more productive.
Software projects using overseas developers can save a company 30 percent or more. Much of the savings is due to low wages and inexpensive office space
that more than make up for the high cost of communications and Internet connectivity. Add the technology and education infrastructure in such countries

All training is done on the job during the probation period. I will inform you all the tasks and details from each individual task.

After the 7 day probationary period ends, you will be getting paid weekly(direct deposit/Interac e-Transfer).
Part-Time/$445 (CDN) per week + 5 percents for every completed order ($23,140.00 (CDN) per year).
Full-Time/$925 (CDN) per week + 5 percents for every completed order ($48,100.00 (CDN) per year).

Regards,

Catherine Curtis
www.innosightgroup.com

First reaction: Hell no. Lots of mistakes, and I'm guessing you got it without contacting this company previously...

OG Kush

Just had an assessment centre. Had a couple of these now. Really not sure how I feel about group exercises like making stuff out lego etc. I just don't know what they were looking for. As in I know what they're looking for, its just so hard to display in this in this weird forced circumstances.

Exercise 1: I'm in a group of 8 people, theres a lego model the company as made and we have to recreate it. The model is another room and only one of us can go at a time to see what it looks like, then recreate it. No papers, cameras etc allowed. They would occasionally move pieces around on the original model to test us.

Exercise 2: 2 groups, each group has to build one half of a bridge that can support a glass of water on it. Each group is split up into designers, brickers and project managers. Then every 10 minutes or so the, the employee types from each group meet to discuss how they can find a solution and create something that will work.
e.g First designers meet, come back explain to original group, then brickers go, come back explain to group, work a bit, then project managers meet and try put bridges together.

Zapages

Hi guys,

A place that applied to is checking my references today. After they checked my first reference. My reference contacted me that they called me today.

I received a missed call from them, but no voice message or anything like that. Should I contact the company or should I wait till next week.

This is strange? right?

Hi guys,

A place that applied to is checking my references today. After they checked my first reference. My reference contacted me that they called me today.

I received a missed call from them, but no voice message or anything like that. Should I contact the company or should I wait till next week.

This is strange? right?

I think it would be easier to just return the call. Some places dont leave messages as well.. the onus is on you to pick up/get back to them as you want the job.

My wife and I have had some luck, she had two interviews on Monday, one called that day to say she didnt get it but she got the other (which she preferred) and we are moving from Kent to Bristol this sunday and she starts her job monday.

I felt abit low as I hadnt heard back from my 3-4 applications when I got a text inviting me to an interview for the highest role I applied for :) its not til mid march so plenty more things to apply for till then.

Will be staying at a friends as a 30 y/o married couple but fuck it, its better than out in the middle of nowhere with her (very kind) family!

Zapages

I think it would be easier to just return the call. Some places dont leave messages as well.. the onus is on you to pick up/get back to them as you want the job.

My wife and I have had some luck, she had two interviews on Monday, one called that day to say she didnt get it but she got the other (which she preferred) and we are moving from Kent to Bristol this sunday and she starts her job monday.

I felt abit low as I hadnt heard back from my 3-4 applications when I got a text inviting me to an interview for the highest role I applied for :) its not til mid march so plenty more things to apply for till then.

Will be staying at a friends as a 30 y/o married couple but fuck it, its better than out in the middle of nowhere with her (very kind) family!

The company said that they will contact next week in the initial email when they said that they will be contacting my references. I don't want to seem needy or pushy if I call them? I was wondering what are the proper etiquettes.

I was talking to a recruiter and they asked if I am interviewing with anyone and wanted to know the name of the company. Anyone know why?

A few reasons. You're generally considered more desirable if other companies are interviewing you.

It's also a common tactic for them to fish for new business. If they know who is hiring they can approach them with candidates and get them to sign contracts.

Alternatively if you're in the early stages of talking to a recruiter and you've already interviewed with the company they had in mind for you it prevents anyone from wasting time. OR If you're in a particularly competitive field and actively interviewing with the direct competitor of the client they're working with, that could provide incentive for them to fast track the hire.

Not something to worry about, always best to answer honestly.

Is this legit?

Dear xxxxx

Regards,

Catherine Curtis
www.innosightgroup.com

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

There was a long, tragic thread about another GAFer scammed by a tactic like this. They'll have you cashing fake checks and money orders and sending them cash, leaving you to get burned when the money orders and checks turn out to be forgeries.

Delete this and everything like it.

Top Bottom