• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Flux

9 months checking in here.

I just got an offer and it's minimum wage. It's kinda in my field, but I just feel like a failure that I spent 6 years in school to get a job that pays less than any job or co-op position I've had since I was 19, and it's like 50% in my field :/.

I can't move out of my parents house working minimum wage.

Am I being a whinny little baby for thinking this? It's been 9 months, I've been getting interviews, but like I just want a job and I'm already stressing about trying to manage going to job interviews while working full time at this place.

Guidance would be helpful :/.

Is the job commutable from your parent's place? If so you could take it, and know to yourself that you will continue searching for a better job. You can take time off for interviews. Everyone does it, I've taken a day off early this week to go to one.

1) Ends the gap in employment
2) Employed people are more desirable
3) Start savings

I just got an offer and it's minimum wage. It's kinda in my field, but I just feel like a failure that I spent 6 years in school to get a job that pays less than any job or co-op position I've had since I was 19, and it's like 50% in my field :/.

Am I being a whinny little baby for thinking this? It's been 9 months, I've been getting interviews, but like I just want a job and I'm already stressing about trying to manage going to job interviews while working full time at this place.

At the end of the day, it depends on how desperate you are. I took a shitty job out of college because I needed to start working and then after I got some experience there, applied elsewhere and got a much better job. It really comes down to you though. The shitty job I had caused me a lot of stress and frustration but it was worth it in the end.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well, had a big interview on Tuesday and more or less confirmed today that I didn't get the job.

I'm super bummed right now. Nailed the phone interview, nailed the test assignments, and boffed the fucking face to face interview. Trying to stay positive and know that at least my work is good enough to warrant an interview, I'm just gutted that I made it so far and didn't get the job.

*sigh*

Back to the grindstone I guess... After getting sad drunk this evening to celebrate my failure.

Well finally happened to me . Company I was working for was bought out and two days before the transition was to begin the new ownership team notified us they had "changed their mind" and would not be retaining any staff. No exit interviews, no hand offs, nothing. Its only been a week and I have had more rejections due to being "overqualified" then in my previous 16 years in IT combined...

Slo

Well finally happened to me . Company I was working for was bought out and two days before the transition was to begin the new ownership team notified us they had "changed their mind" and would not be retaining any staff. No exit interviews, no hand offs, nothing. Its only been a week and I have had more rejections due to being "overqualified" then in my previous 16 years in IT combined...

Sorry dude. IT can be like that sometimes. :(

I know it doesn't feel like a positive thing now, but in retrospect getting laid off from my last position was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I was terrified, but it worked out for me somehow. I hope you'll one day feel the same way.

Azzanadra

I am kind of feeling this now, I recently switched from Computer Science to Cognitive Science and English in my University and its made me depressed about my future prospects, I am doing some summer school but my job at Best Buy (a job, held for a year which I hoped to leave this summer btw) is giving me NO Hours because our home solutions department is on suicide watch and I am basically not even earning money.

I hoped to advance to a better position after menial retail for a year, especially because as I am now pursuing a "useless" degree so experience is more valuable- but I failed to do so and now even the job I have, I can't earn any goddamn money.

To top it all off my family is making me feel like shit for leaving a "lucrative" field like CompSci, I mean hey I failed a course and generally did not enjoy myself but its getting to me, I feel like I'm wasting away and no matter how hard and try to apply to other jobs, I am always met with failure. I envy all who actually enjoy and managed to work through STEM fields :/ Or at least managed to remain ambivalent and not want to jump off a cliff

Sorry for the rant, just having a shitty time in terms with jobs and thought this was the best place to vent :p

soldat7

Well, had a big interview on Tuesday and more or less confirmed today that I didn't get the job.

I'm super bummed right now. Nailed the phone interview, nailed the test assignments, and boffed the fucking face to face interview. Trying to stay positive and know that at least my work is good enough to warrant an interview, I'm just gutted that I made it so far and didn't get the job.

*sigh*

Back to the grindstone I guess... After getting sad drunk this evening to celebrate my failure.

That happened to me. Twice now.

Learn from it, tweak your approach, and you'll do better next time!

Strax

For some reason I've been getting interviews at big companies for copywriting/social media/websites/writing positions, like the final 3-4 out of over 300+, but not even getting an email from smaller companies, for the same type of jobs, saying "We have hired for that position"

I've conceded to a low wage 12.50/hour server job. At least it's a solid pay instead of tip dependence- I mean, I won't get any tips. And they feed me food for free, so that saves some money as well. I'm also going back to school for a degree in business administration. So it's something Ok, that stabilizes my finances and is flexible enough to allow me to go back to school. If I maintain at least 25 hours a week for work, that will be able to pay for rent and food, but probably not utilities(I'm not really worried about that though since I have a few thousand saved up since my move to Portland.)

Sorithin

Hi all, first time posting here and have a question! I have a phone screening for a sales assistant job (just to work with the convention sales team, handle scheduling, make presentations, etc.) on Friday and I'm really nervous. I'm VERY bad on the phone and I've never done a phone screening, so does anyone have any insight into what it's like? It's only 15-20 minutes but I don't think it's a real interview quite yet so not sure what kind of stuff they ask.

Socivol

Just got rejected from another job I interviewed for. I was trying to find a new position while working but I don't think I can take my current job too much longer so I am just going to quit. Blah it has been the longest I've ever been searching for a job.

So I graduate in exactly 6 months (Economics Major) and I kinda wanted to redo my resume to make it more professional. My current one was kinda thrown together and updated every once in a while for part time jobs.

If I post it here can I get some tips, suggestions, and edits? I'd very much appreciate it.

Any advice for my partner on getting into Publishing? Trying for over a year now, done three internships, a degree in creative language and film studies, speaks multiple languages.

Nota thing. Infuriating.

My own bug bear when looking for jobs, is websites that ask you to upload your CV and then ask for your...

- Employment History
- Technical Skills

Like FUCK. My CV is right there!

Discouraging for sure, but is there a harm in taking it? Most employers can be accommodating with other interviews, and if they're not then I guess you can quit at that point? Like someone else pointed out, it puts something current and somewhat in your field on your resume. You can use current examples in your interviews. There are somewhat intangible benefits other than just the wage.

entremet

Just got rejected from another job I interviewed for. I was trying to find a new position while working but I don't think I can take my current job too much longer so I am just going to quit. Blah it has been the longest I've ever been searching for a job.

Do not do this!

You're way more marketable with a job, even a shit job, than without one.

Trust me on this one.

Socivol

Do not do this!

You're way more marketable with a job, even a shit job, than without one.

Trust me on this one.

Yeah I know I've been looking for 8 months and I am just to the point where I can't fake give a damn anymore. It's really been effecting my motivation in my regular life outside of work as well.

May I ask, what is the field you are trying to get into?

e.

That sucks man but remember its always easier to get a job when you already have one. Get in there and do six months or so, put it on your resume, and then try to move up the ladder.

The smart advice in these situations is to try and stick it out, because as other posters have pointed out, you are more attractive to prospective employers while already employed. Not saying it's right, but it's an unfortunate reality.

However... you do need to look out for your own mental health as well. I don't think anyone can tell you what your threshold is - but do make sure to look out for yourself as well.

Hi all, first time posting here and have a question! I have a phone screening for a sales assistant job (just to work with the convention sales team, handle scheduling, make presentations, etc.) on Friday and I'm really nervous. I'm VERY bad on the phone and I've never done a phone screening, so does anyone have any insight into what it's like? It's only 15-20 minutes but I don't think it's a real interview quite yet so not sure what kind of stuff they ask.

Phone screens typically entail basic questions about your fit for the role. Expect questions like "why do you want to work here?" "can you tell me about your experience / education?" "what are your salary expectations?" "do you have experience with x software / y skill?"

I wouldn't expect anything along the lines of a behavioural interview in a phone screen.

Lulubop

Hey, posting here for the forth time. I quit my overnight gig as a shift supervisor back in Feb, I had been working their for a little over 3 years. Since I quit, I haven't found any work but quitting was something I felt I had to do because working nights was too much, my body felt awful. I graduated from a CUNY school with a BA in Public Admin a few years ago but aside from CvS I have no actual work experience. I've been trying to get a job with the city, or whatever but nothing, no call back no nothing. I signed up for a temp, and I went to the NYS Dept of labor for a 1 on 1 with a career consular I presume. It feels hopeless sometimes, but I've been a bit more positive lately.

entremet

Hey, posting here for the forth time. I quit my overnight gig as a shift supervisor back in Feb, I had been working their for a little over 3 years. Since I quit, I haven't found any work but quitting was something I felt I had to do because working nights was too much, my body felt awful. I graduated from a CUNY school with a BA in Public Admin a few years ago but aside from CvS I have no actual work experience. I've been trying to get a job with the city, or whatever but nothing, no call back no nothing. I signed up for a temp, and I went to the NYS Dept of labor for a 1 on 1 with a career consular I presume. It feels hopeless sometimes, but I've been a bit more positive lately.

You're young. Take whatever shitty job you can get and keep applying for entry level positions in your desired field.

Chin up, bud. It's not that bad.

In the meantime, focus on education (it actually starts now for real), building skills, don't worry about landing your dream job. You're a career infant, so don't worry about having it all together by now.

What skill-sets do you want to build?

When you're rejected from a job and of course the email provides no explanation and company policy prevents any follow ups, and the worst part of it is that even being incredibly humble about your qualifications you feel like you were surely a slam dunk.

When you're rejected from a job and of course the email provides no explanation and company policy prevents any follow ups, and the worst part of it is that even being incredibly humble about your qualifications you feel like you were surely a slam dunk.

Having worked in HR in the past, there are so many idiotic reasons a good candidate may not get hired. e.g., there was someone internal, someone's friend/relative wanted to get hired, the hiring manager didn't like the candidate for any number of dumb reasons that have nothing to do with qualifications.

A surprising amount of the time, being rejected has little to do with the candidate's skills and qualifications.

Nyanmaruz

So guys, I finally got off my ass and I applied for a sales job that pays a bit more after working at another dead end job for almost 4 years.

I was contacted by the recruiter, done the interview, and submitted my references.

Now approximately 5 days ago, my recruiter contacted me by e-mail, asking me if I am available this week for a sign on session and paper work. The recruiter also suggested that she can schedule me for a orientation 2 week from now.

So with all that, I replied to her by e-mail on that exact same day and also left her a voice mail yesterday. But now almost a full week later, still no response back from my recruiter....

So right now I'm starting to panic because I already gave my 2 week leave notice to my current employer and because I was so sure I am getting hired.

What should I do gaf? should I try contacting them again asap or would that seem too annoying, rude, and desperate?

So guys, I finally got off my ass and I applied for a sales job that pays a bit more after working at another dead end job for almost 4 years.

I was contacted by the recruiter, done the interview, and submitted my references.

Now approximately 5 days ago, my recruiter contacted me by e-mail, asking me if I am available this week for a sign on session and paper work. The recruiter also suggested that she can schedule me for a orientation 2 week from now.

So with all that, I replied to her by e-mail on that exact same day and also left her a voice mail yesterday. But now almost a full week later, still no response back from my recruiter....

So right now I'm starting to panic because I already gave my 2 week leave notice to my current employer and because I was so sure I am getting hired.

What should I do gaf? should I try contacting them again asap or would that seem too annoying, rude, and desperate?

If it's been almost a week and you haven't had any contact with them, and they were looking to schedule you for an orientation in 2 weeks (which would be closer to 1 week now, I presume?), then I'd say you're justified in reaching out again. Just say you wanted to touch base and see if they needed any more information, or just wanted to check on how things were progressing. That type of interaction definitely isn't going to make them second-guess giving you the job, and you might get a response like "we're just finalizing the paperwork on our end" that could give you some peace of mind.

Lulubop

You're young. Take whatever shitty job you can get and keep applying for entry level positions in your desired field.

Chin up, bud. It's not that bad.

In the meantime, focus on education (it actually starts now for real), building skills, don't worry about landing your dream job. You're a career infant, so don't worry about having it all together by now.

What skill-sets do you want to build?

I'm 29, I'm getting old. I really want money just to go out, I hate being couped up at home on a weekend. I know it's kinda petty, but I also feel like I'm running out of time. I want to go back to school but I need money. I did the whole take a shitty job in the meantime and ended up in cvs for 3 years longer than I had liked. I didn't really look for jobs during that time, working their discouraged me and made me feel even more hopeless to the point I didn't even bother. I don't want to end up in the same situation. As for skills, or dream job I'm not even sure. I don't know what I really want to do and I can't get my foot in the door anywhere. I'm never been really passionate, or really good at something either so there's that.

Just be yourself and have some questions to ask at the end of the interview, it's a conversation not an interrogation. Remember, it's a chance for you to learn what kind of company they are.

Also dress up a bit for the phone interview, like you were meeting face to face, help get you in the mood

Necrovex

It may finally be happening, Gaf. I was offered a tentative position to work for the federal government, starting with a salary in the mid-40s. I'm still blown away that I finally reached this point in my life.

Right now, only one possible hitch could screw everything up (the office has to keep their position open for five days for any laid off federal employees), but other wise, I get to move to a dream location working in the public sector. If/when I get my formal offer in two weeks (after HR), I'll probably have a mini heart attack.

It may finally be happening, Gaf. I was offered a tentative position to work for the federal government, starting with a salary in the mid-40s. I'm still blown away that I finally reached this point in my life.

Right now, only one possible hitch could screw everything up (the office has to keep their position open for five days for any laid off federal employees), but other wise, I get to move to a dream location working in the public sector. If/when I get my formal offer in two weeks (after HR), I'll probably have a mini heart attack.

Congratulations! Always good to hear success stories and to encourage others. Let us know when you start!

So I graduate in exactly 6 months (Economics Major) and I kinda wanted to redo my resume to make it more professional. My current one was kinda thrown together and updated every once in a while for part time jobs.

If I post it here can I get some tips, suggestions, and edits? I'd very much appreciate it.

Yeah sure. I can post mine too if anyone wants to review that too, and maybe get inspired.

Here is mine, if anyone wants to have a look to get inspired or to review it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq6fu731bt9dqi6/cv-english-2.pdf?dl=0

My pure condolences to you guys out there searching, it indeed is soul-crushing and a horrible exercise.

What always bothered me the most, outside of the obvious, is the absolute lack of common decency on most employers' ends to just simply inform you that you didn't get the position if that's the case.

I hit a really rough spot around 2008 where I went from making something like $20/hr to working a shitty manual labor job at $10/hr to just flat-out being unemployed after sustaining a severe work injury at said manual labor job on top of it. I just want to say that you have to keep your head up no matter how difficult and hopeless it may seem. I'm doing great these days gladly but yeah, a little bit of luck is always involved.

entremet

I'm 29, I'm getting old. I really want money just to go out, I hate being couped up at home on a weekend. I know it's kinda petty, but I also feel like I'm running out of time. I want to go back to school but I need money. I did the whole take a shitty job in the meantime and ended up in cvs for 3 years longer than I had liked. I didn't really look for jobs during that time, working their discouraged me and made me feel even more hopeless to the point I didn't even bother. I don't want to end up in the same situation. As for skills, or dream job I'm not even sure. I don't know what I really want to do and I can't get my foot in the door anywhere. I'm never been really passionate, or really good at something either so there's that.

Have you considered seeing a career counselor? Many are free depending on your job status. It seems you just need to expand your network and get some accountability. You are still rather young.

Lulubop

Have you considered seeing a career counselor? Many are free depending on your job status. It seems you just need to expand your network and get some accountability. You are still rather young.

This is true, I'm seeing someone at the NYS Dept of labor. A 1 on 1 similar to a career counselor. But I've also been interested in seeing one, if you can point me to a free one I'd appreciate that.

entremet

This is true, I'm seeing someone at the NYS Dept of labor. A 1 on 1 similar to a career counselor. But I've also been interested in seeing one, if you can point me to a free one I'd appreciate that.

I think you got it. They're usually available with your department of labor.

In the meantime, I would work on your online presence. Start pimping your linkedin profile. Also, you're in NYC? Have you tried Meetups? There are professional ones that are great for networking.

If anyone can help me out with any advice that'd be great. A couple weeks ago I applied for a job. You could say it's a dream job of sorts.

I actually got a response from HR asking me what my availability was to schedule a phone interview in which I responded accordingly (pretty much available all day). This was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I still hadn't heard back so I sent a follow up email the next Tuesday (last week).

I still haven't heard since. I'm not sure if I should follow up again or give a call. This is a job I do want so I'm feeling a bit anxious here.

Necrovex

Congratulations! Always good to hear success stories and to encourage others. Let us know when you start!

I shall do just that once my arrangement is ironclad (so hopefully in a week and a half).

To add some extra credence, my friend is a career counselor, and he was invaluable in cleaning up my resume and improving my interviewing skills.

Congratulations! Awesome to see a success story! The great thing about getting in (aside from the obvious having a good job part) is having access to internal postings. I've been in the public sector for almost 5 years now, and have moved up twice since starting due to internal postings.

Oni Jazar

If anyone can help me out with any advice that'd be great. A couple weeks ago I applied for a job. You could say it's a dream job of sorts.

I actually got a response from HR asking me what my availability was to schedule a phone interview in which I responded accordingly (pretty much available all day). This was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I still hadn't heard back so I sent a follow up email the next Tuesday (last week).

I still haven't heard since. I'm not sure if I should follow up again or give a call. This is a job I do want so I'm feeling a bit anxious here.

It's okay to follow up in that scenario. Good luck!

Is there a way to pull off a job that requires travel when you have no car?

Taxis or something like Zipcar when you need to travel. Of course, this is really only good advice if the travel is technically required but infrequent. If you are having to travel multiple times a week, it may start to be more cost effective to buy a car.

Taxis or something like Zipcar when you need to travel. Of course, this is really only good advice if the travel is technically required but infrequent. If you are having to travel multiple times a week, it may start to be more cost effective to buy a car.

Yeah, well basically to tell you a bit more. I'm going to start a job working for a marketing firm, selling something to some stores, I forget. The travel I think we'll go as far as a couple cities away. At my interview they said I'd work with someone else most of the time, but you know how it is. You can't rely on someone else all the time. Right now I have no money so if they start me off within the first two weeks a cab isn't an option.

Yeah, well basically to tell you a bit more. I'm going to start a job working for a marketing firm, selling something to some stores, I forget. The travel I think we'll go as far as a couple cities away. At my interview they said I'd work with someone else most of the time, but you know how it is. You can't rely on someone else all the time. Right now I have no money so if they start me off within the first two weeks a cab isn't an option.

In my past experiences, for frequent travellers, some companies are willing to provide cash advances to their staff to cover travel expenses. Maybe that is an option?

In my past experiences, for frequent travellers, some companies are willing to provide cash advances to their staff to cover travel expenses. Maybe that is an option?

They didn't mention anything. On the interview they asked me like three times if I had transportion because they said travel is required. I think the woman picked up on my hesitation because she said are you sure because you always can't rely on someone. Oh wait, I did forget the other guy mentioned that you can claim the mileage from your yearly tax returns, but that's it.

Falastur

Neo Member
They didn't mention anything. On the interview they asked me like three times if I had transportion because they said travel is required. I think the woman picked up on my hesitation because she said are you sure because you always can't rely on someone. Oh wait, I did forget the other guy mentioned that you can claim the mileage from your yearly tax returns, but that's it.

I'm no recruitment guru nor have I had a stellar career to go from, but it seems like if they're saying three times about the travel, this is them trying to hint to you that you need to have this covered. Some employers would make a driving licence a prerequisite of the job.

You could take taxis but you will most likely be claiming the travel costs back from your employer and they might not be too thrilled at the costs building up (it's going to be more expensive than just claiming mileage). In fact, if they let you take mileage out if your tax returns then it sounds like they don't have an organised reimbursement system so you'll be stumping up taxi receipts out of your own pocket for a full year before you can get anything back.

Personally I'm going to say that this is them putting you on notification that you should be looking into driving lessons if you want the job - but as I say, I'm just one guy (and not one who's ever worked a travelling job) so keep consulting others too.

If you've already emailed before, then I don't think a call is out of line. Might put them on the spot a bit, but that would at least guarantee you some sort of answer.

Anyway HR department (or if the company is too small for am HR department then any manager who is hiring) worth their salaries should recognise that this is your future that is up in the air and people in this position are going to want to know what is going on. So long as you have a job on the line then they should understand if you phone them up to ask for an update once or perhaps even twice - it's on them for not giving you that update.

I really like phone calls in general (not just for recruitment stuff) as they tend to out the onus on the other guys in a way that often gets you the answer you were looking for much quicker. That said, I personally wouldn't call more than a second time as if they can't provide you with an answer by that point then it's quite likely that they have moved on without you anyway.

Top Bottom