• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Jzero

12 month club, what's my prize?

crippling depression

No wonder I bomb all my interviews

7dRF6Fo.png

TCRS

Banned
only when you're unemployed or really unhappy at your job. I know that feel OP.

right now I'm in a lucky spot, I have a job but still looking for a job. Got interviewed for some amazing jobs, kinda hurts when you don't get them..

but that is far from the anxiety and depression you feel when you're unemployed and you're trying to get back into jobs..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Well...I was supposed to start my job on Monday. Went through all of the checks, had my benefits setup, etc. Got a call yesterday that the position had been eliminated. Got fired before I even started. So now I am in a bad spot. A terrible spot. I went from about to make more money than I ever have in life at a company that actually needed my services to back to looking.

Everyone apologized and explained that it was a re-org that was to blame, blah blah blah. But it sucks.

Socivol

Well...I was supposed to start my job on Monday. Went through all of the checks, had my benefits setup, etc. Got a call yesterday that the position had been eliminated. Got fired before I even started. So now I am in a bad spot. A terrible spot. I went from about to make more money than I ever have in life at a company that actually needed my services to back to looking.

Everyone apologized and explained that it was a re-org that was to blame, blah blah blah. But it sucks.

OMG! I'm so sorry!!! How could they note know about this reorganization prior to offering you the position?

Fuuuuuck, I have an interview tomorrow in German, and I haven't spoken German since I left college a year a go (native English speaker). I'm like C1 level when I came out of college but now I'm rusty as fuck.

Necrovex

Sheer nightmare fuel of mine. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

dskillzhtown

OMG! I'm so sorry!!! How could they note know about this reorganization prior to offering you the position?

Sheer nightmare fuel of mine. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Thanks. Re-orgs happen all the time so while they may have known it was coming, you don't really know the effects until after it is announced. The responsibility I was to have was going under another department who felt like they could get it done without me. I am more shocked than anything. Not mad, just in shock. The recruiter that found me was so apologetic and promised she would find me something else quickly, but I feel like I am going to dry up all my savings before that happens. We are basically starting back at square one.

Lulubop

I think you got it. They're usually available with your department of labor.

In the meantime, I would work on your online presence. Start pimping your linkedin profile. Also, you're in NYC? Have you tried Meetups? There are professional ones that are great for networking.

Yea, I think the appointment well help a ton. I'm not worried about interviews and my resume is about as relevant as it gets (I don't have much EXP). I don't have a Linkedin because I don't really have much information to put networking is hard I get really bad social anxiety in certain situations.

Necrovex

So I should know if I'll be going ahead with my federal employment a week after next. I'll be going slightly crazy as I wait for that confirmation. At least I was contacted by the Denver office saying my name will be on hold for the other offices in CO, in case this offer falls through. But I'm ready for that big-boy job!

So I should know if I'll be going ahead with my federal employment a week after next. I'll be going slightly crazy as I wait for that confirmation. At least I was contacted by the Denver office saying my name will be on hold for the other offices in CO, in case this offer falls through. But I'm ready for that big-boy job!

did you need a drug test?

Necrovex

did you need a drug test?

I haven't heard of anything about a drug test strangely enough. I'll have to go through an extensive public trust background check. I expect they'll want me to do a drug test at some point in the future, which isn't a big deal as I don't smoke.

MC Safety

Has anyone heard about Lionbridge?

I'm skeptical, but the Internet seems to think the company is legitimate. And one of the Lionbridge vendors/representatives suggested an assignment rate of $25 per hour -- decent, but not great -- for editing.

I was willing to gamble, but then I registered for the Lionbridge employment site and received a follow-up note telling me, among other things, to enter my bank account information. Apparently, the company only pays in wire transfers.

I'll likely leave this alone and seek more traditional employment. But if anyone has any knowledge of, or experience with, the company, I'd love to hear from him.

Anyone have luck in the construction trades? I'm not sure what the supply/demand is like for skilled trades workers. I guess it varies by region.

Tenrius

Has anyone heard about Lionbridge?

I'm skeptical, but the Internet seems to think the company is legitimate. And one of the Lionbridge vendors/representatives suggested an assignment rate of $25 per hour -- decent, but not great -- for editing.

I was willing to gamble, but then I registered for the Lionbridge employment site and received a follow-up note telling me, among other things, to enter my bank account information. Apparently, the company only pays in wire transfers.

I'll likely leave this alone and seek more traditional employment. But if anyone has any knowledge of, or experience with, the company, I'd love to hear from him.

Check this thread out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506674. There are few companies like this and quite a few GAF members did that kind of work (including myself).

Applied for a job that I would absolutely love even though the pay is really beneath a bachelor's degree, but of course I know I won't get it. I'm so bad at cover letters. If I manage to get an interview I think I'd be better able to explain my enthusiasm for it, but whatever for now.

Applied for a job that I would absolutely love even though the pay is really beneath a bachelor's degree, but of course I know I won't get it. I'm so bad at cover letters. If I manage to get an interview I think I'd be better able to explain my enthusiasm for it, but whatever for now.

Speaking of this, the announcement said that they would immediately begin looking at applications ("screening") after it closed and would contact good candidates for interviews or whatever. It closed two days ago - how long into next week would be too long for them to say I got an interview?

Speaking of this, the announcement said that they would immediately begin looking at applications ("screening") after it closed and would contact good candidates for interviews or whatever. It closed two days ago - how long into next week would be too long for them to say I got an interview?

Depends on the organization, number of applicants, and the timelines they're working under for hiring. In government, I've seen screening take a week, and I've seen it take a month. Personally I never expect anything for at least a week or two after closing.

Trying to make an executive decision and re-locate. I am willing to try anywhere in the US. I am a junior Software Developer. I'm just so stressed from my current job.

Trying to make an executive decision and re-locate. I am willing to try anywhere in the US. I am a junior Software Developer. I'm just so stressed from my current job.

Same boat man. Where are you living at now? Location is a big deal when it comes to tech. Sadly, most jobs are in the big expensive cities so if you have little savings and no job lined up, you're looking at an uphill battle.

Just like you, my job I've worked at for over a decade has started to give me health issues, too much work, can't take time off, incompetent employees and boss who pretty much treats me like a doormat when I try to express my concerns. So I spent the last two months sending resumes/CVs via indeed and Linkedin as a junior front end developer. Have to be out of my current apt by the end of the month before the rent hike, figured this is a good time to just cut my losses and bail a tech devoid dead end town.

What I've found about most, if not all companies is that they'd "prefer" to hire locally, if not internally (networking). Even though they have postings, I was told that while my qualifications were good, because I'm too far they won't consider me. I do have an interview at the community college next Monday, and taking a dev test for a company out in NV (I also had to learn how to use Haskell to do this) so I feel that I'm getting somewhere, and people are looking at my resume according to the recruiters I'm using (unless they're lying).

That's the catch-22. People will always say never move without a job lined up, but you can't get said job because you're too far away and they want to interview you face to face. If you know someone where you want to live and they'll let you crash there for a couple months, or you have at least say, 5k saved up I would go for it but be VERY frugal with your money. Find apt with at least a 20 mi commute since most places in the cities have high COL (1k for most 1b 1bath). You could always move and just take whatever job you can find that's at least full time, I have no one to fall back on so that would be my only course of action.

I'm starting to see the reality and may have to endure my crummy job, but keep pushing out resumes and add more skills to my GitHub. I'm going to pray I get this job at the Community College (I'll be updating their digital catalog), that would at least be a good stepping stone.

The last few months have been so slow, but something finally stuck. My application was referred to the OPM for an investigator. I forgot I even applied for this. I'm extremely excited, my main career goal is to be an 1810 (investigation) or 1811 (criminal investigation). This is an 1810.

gazele

Banned
Job hunting for really the first time (got a PHD so was in school for a long time) and it's really taking a toll on me

Been looking for about 2 months (which I know is not that long in the grand scheme of things) but I didn't think it'd be so difficult mentally

Definitely doesn't help that I'm trying to get into tech (data science) after doing a research based PHD (neuroscience) that doesn't apply 100%

Seems like the lack of experience is definitely the thing that's hurting me

What do people think about taking a "lesser" job to prevent having long gaps in employment history?

I'd really like a data scientist job, but it may be easier to get a data analyst job and gain some experience

Job hunting for really the first time (got a PHD so was in school for a long time) and it's really taking a toll on me

Been looking for about 2 months (which I know is not that long in the grand scheme of things) but I didn't think it'd be so difficult mentally

Definitely doesn't help that I'm trying to get into tech (data science) after doing a research based PHD (neuroscience) that doesn't apply 100%

What do people think about taking a "lesser" job to prevent having long gaps in employment history?

I'd really like a data scientist job, but it may be easier to get a data analyst job and gain some experience

I don't think it's ever a bad thing to take a "lesser" job - it gives you something on your resume, recent examples to use in interviews, and some money coming in while you keep looking for other jobs. It can sometimes be hard to get the lesser jobs since they would know you're a flight risk if you've got a PhD, but I don't really think there's harm in it. Especially if you're looking slightly outside your field, then getting experience that's more closely related to it would be a plus, in my opinion.

Weetrick

Alright, so after a year or so of off-and-on-again job hunting, I finally got something! I spent way too long browsing Indeed and dragging my feet when it came to actually applying. I applied to several jobs but mostly became discouraged by what was out there and passed on most postings. Most jobs looked boring or way over my head. The few jobs I actually applied for yielded absolutely nothing.

About a month ago I decided to work with a recruiter, since my sister had great luck with one. Depending on your field, I think this is a great option that shouldn't be discredited. Within a month, I got an offer by a great company near my house. My commute has gone down from 90 minutes to FIVE minutes. I got a bit of a pay increase and a refreshing motivational boost. Really excited to start in July.

I turned in my 2 weeks today and it was really stressful. My bosses took it pretty well, although they were disappointed. They all said they were happy for me but I was nervous all day before telling them. It's not a fun thing to do!
Just need to power through the next few weeks and get in the mindset to start the new job.

I've been casually browsing this thread for a while now and you've all been a great help to my mental state... haha. This thread title is 100% accurate. Thanks for letting me have something motivational to read along the way.

Tenrius

The last few months have been so slow, but something finally stuck. My application was referred to the OPM for an investigator. I forgot I even applied for this. I'm extremely excited, my main career goal is to be an 1810 (investigation) or 1811 (criminal investigation). This is an 1810.

I always wondered about careers like these (mostly thanks to pop culture). Must be fun.

soldat7

I suddenly find myself in a situation I never anticipated: my job of 12 years has turned septic, and two months of job hunting has been nothing but "thanks but no thanks". I'm lucky in that I still have a job, but it's giving me mental cancer.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've been able to draw some amount of strength from it.

captainpat

Ugh, every time I get to the reference section of a job app I freeze. I can only think of three refs, two of which I haven't talked to in ages.

soldat7

Ugh, every time I get to the reference section of a job app I freeze. I can only think of three refs, two of which I haven't talked to in ages.

I wish references would be done away with. Waste of time, IMO. It's not like you're going to include current supervisors if you're still employed, and you're probably not going to included recent but not current ones either if you're looking for a job (maybe they contributed to your desires to leave)..and the references that you might include are basically (hopefully) just cheerleaders for you and your accolades.

In two-months time, after multiple interviews, no one has contacted my references or even looked at their LinkedIn accounts...

Long gaps in paid employment can be reduced by including voluntary work (even a day a week or half a day a week) or study (even part time). No problem with so-called "lesser" paid jobs too.

The resume should list a few duties or skills associated with each job you have worked and these should show why you are more employable for having worked the job, even if it's in an unrelated field (though you don't have to list every job for every place you apply). A customer service job could have a bullet point about handling stressful situations, or a cleaning job is about attention to detail, or anything else.

aerts1js

I start my new job tomorrow. I was previously a contractor at Apple and this is the first time in some time that I'm starting a legit full time gig. I'm insanely nervous and my anxiety is probably at an all time high. Any tips/advice?

Weetrick

I start my new job tomorrow. I was previously a contractor at Apple and this is the first time in some time that I'm starting a legit full time gig. I'm insanely nervous and my anxiety is probably at an all time high. Any tips/advice?

They hired you for a reason. Especially as a full time hire, they saw something in you that was worth investing in. Just do your best and congrats!

It's been two months since I graduated. No offers. What makes it so sad is that I have a B.S in history with an international relations minor. This was the only degree I could get because I have severe panic attacks when I entered high school. It took 7 years to get the degree because I had to medical withdraw a semester and only could take a 3 class at a time workload. I choose history because that is really the only subject that I'm gifted in. The only job experience I have is that I worked in security for 7 years. Most my colleagues used security as a stepping stone before entering law enforcement. Being a cop was my dream job but ever since I been diagnosed with panic attacks and depression I would be a huge flight risk to any police department. The biggest problem I have is that there are plenty of security jobs out there but they only pay around 10 to 15 bucks an hour with no benefits or insurance. I need the insurance for my handful of pills and that much money would make me able to live by myself.

P.S Sorry for the bad grammar above its late at night and I am a horrible writer.

entremet

This is normal.

Build relationships with coworkers, ask for help when needed, and don't be afraid to ask your manager to repeat themselves if you don't understand an instructive. Also be easy on yourself. Learning a new position takes time (if this is a new position).

It's been two months since I graduated. No offers. What makes it so sad is that I have a B.S in history with an international relations minor. This was the only degree I could get because I have severe panic attacks when I entered high school. It took 7 years to get the degree because I had to medical withdraw a semester and only could take a 3 class at a time workload. I choose history because that is really the only subject that I'm gifted in. The only job experience I have is that I worked in security for 7 years. Most my colleagues used security as a stepping stone before entering law enforcement. Being a cop was my dream job but ever since I been diagnosed with panic attacks and depression I would be a huge flight risk to any police department. The biggest problem I have is that there are plenty of security jobs out there but they only pay around 10 to 15 bucks an hour with no benefits or insurance. I need the insurance for my handful of pills and that much money would make me able to live by myself.

P.S Sorry for the bad grammar above its late at night and I am a horrible writer.

I have a degree in history as well, and one of the things that helped me get a foothold into a career was doing a 1 year post-graduate diploma. Is that something available to you?

Same boat man. Where are you living at now? Location is a big deal when it comes to tech. Sadly, most jobs are in the big expensive cities so if you have little savings and no job lined up, you're looking at an uphill battle.

Just like you, my job I've worked at for over a decade has started to give me health issues, too much work, can't take time off, incompetent employees and boss who pretty much treats me like a doormat when I try to express my concerns. So I spent the last two months sending resumes/CVs via indeed and Linkedin as a junior front end developer. Have to be out of my current apt by the end of the month before the rent hike, figured this is a good time to just cut my losses and bail a tech devoid dead end town.

What I've found about most, if not all companies is that they'd "prefer" to hire locally, if not internally (networking). Even though they have postings, I was told that while my qualifications were good, because I'm too far they won't consider me. I do have an interview at the community college next Monday, and taking a dev test for a company out in NV (I also had to learn how to use Haskell to do this) so I feel that I'm getting somewhere, and people are looking at my resume according to the recruiters I'm using (unless they're lying).

That's the catch-22. People will always say never move without a job lined up, but you can't get said job because you're too far away and they want to interview you face to face. If you know someone where you want to live and they'll let you crash there for a couple months, or you have at least say, 5k saved up I would go for it but be VERY frugal with your money. Find apt with at least a 20 mi commute since most places in the cities have high COL (1k for most 1b 1bath). You could always move and just take whatever job you can find that's at least full time, I have no one to fall back on so that would be my only course of action.

I'm starting to see the reality and may have to endure my crummy job, but keep pushing out resumes and add more skills to my GitHub. I'm going to pray I get this job at the Community College (I'll be updating their digital catalog), that would at least be a good stepping stone.

I am in New Jersey, what about you? I know what you mean about applying from a different location. I get emails/voicemails asking if my application was a mistake, since I don't like nearby. It's really tough. I wish you luck, man.

Sorithin

Well I passed my phone screening and have been invited to an in-person interview! They say it will be 2 hours and I'll meet 6 people. From reading and talking to other people, 2 hours is normal. But what the heck do you do for 2 hours? Is each person going to ask me the same questions (like "tell me a time you faced adversity in the workplace" ugh)? It's just for a sales assistant job, so I wouldn't expect a test or anything of the sort.

I'm nervous but I'm in the final 3 of 87 applicants!

dskillzhtown

After the debacle of being told to start on a Monday and then my job being eliminated days before I was to start, I have been applying and applying. But honestly I am getting depressed. So many applications, rejections, etc. I tried to get a job at Home Depot (I have never done retail) and was rejected because of a lack of experience.

Spruchy

Does anyone have a good NYC recruiter they can recommend? Specifically in tech/systems admin. The few ive reached out to have been less than stellar.

Necrovex

Well I passed my phone screening and have been invited to an in-person interview! They say it will be 2 hours and I'll meet 6 people. From reading and talking to other people, 2 hours is normal. But what the heck do you do for 2 hours? Is each person going to ask me the same questions (like "tell me a time you faced adversity in the workplace" ugh)? It's just for a sales assistant job, so I wouldn't expect a test or anything of the sort.

I'm nervous but I'm in the final 3 of 87 applicants!

Two hours can be heavily padded by behavioral questions. I know I had interviews lasting that long in combination of those questions and my own questions.

Finally making progress in the federal HR hell machine, if all goes well, I'll be starting my paperwork early next week.

SOLDIER

I recently got called out a little due to the numerous job-inquiring threads I've made in the past month or so. Totally warranted, but it hadn't dawned on me that I could have just used this thread as a resource for my constant questions.

Long story short, I'm not happy where I'm at in life. Well, first I want to be thankful for having a job to begin with, because I've had those year-long stretches of unemployment and it sucks. My heart bleeds to those in that current spot, I know full well how it feels.

My current job is a Digital Court Reporter for the state, although the title is a bit misleading as I am more of the Tier 1 support for DCRs (I do weekly checks on the A/V equipment and daily checks on the reporters, making sure they're doing their job while helping them out with anything that isn't working, etc). It's a comfy office job where I'm not in my feet a lot and I normally only have to deal with problems as they arise. If it wasn't for the godawful commute and equally bad 8-5 shift, I wouldn't mind making this my last stop for careers.

So yes, I am grateful that I've got a job that is mostly stress-free and pays the bills, but it's not an ideal long-term job. For one thing, the pay is low (30k annual, before insurance/401K/taxes) and there is no promotions or higher tiers. If I want to rise up, I have to apply for new jobs posted on the official site like everybody else. As it is, it's kind of a dead end job.

But I've spent a large portion of my life not knowing what I want to do with a career. I chose to major in Criminal Justice, got my Bachelor's and all, but I also regret following this path: I had the unfortunate timing of earning that degree during the last big government hiring freeze, and my only real options were police officer or corrections officer, neither of which I wanted to do. My last big shot was Custom Border Protection, where I went as far as the academy in Georgia before failing one of the many required tests. That failure hurt me bad, but I've also learned to accept that the job wasn't for me.

Part of my problem with deciding on a career is that I worry too much about finding something I would like doing, or at least not hate. I worry that if I end up doing something that makes me miserable, I would lose the motivation to keep working and end up losing the job out of negligence or otherwise.

But that leads to another problem where I have too many pie-in-the-sky dreams, which is why I've made the last few threads to try and get a realistic analysis on said career paths. It doesn't matter if I really want to be a novel writer or YouTube streamer, I won't ever commit to anything that doesn't give a guaranteed salary. I'd rather be a well-fed drone than a starving artist.

So with all that, I'm trying to finally narrow down my choices and decide on something already. The IT field keeps popping up, either through suggestions or secondhand information, but it's also such a broad field that I'm still not sure what kind of job I should be getting, or even which certificates/licenses to focus on: I already spent a lot of years going to college and applying to jobs, I really don't want to start from scratch. I'd like to believe that I can find something with my current credentials, and then move up from there.

Speaking of which, here's my LinkedIn profile, for those curious: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/

I'll stick to this thread for all the suggestions anyone is willing to offer. Right now I'm showing interest in being a Delivery Consultant. A fellow GAFer here has been telling me about the job, and it seems like something I can realistically shoot for. Having a few more ideas like that under my belt is bound to help me finally decide on something.

So just gonna vent as I know no one can really give me advice.

I currently work for a company that acts on behalf of hospitals to find unpaid money from insurance carriers. Upon entering the department, I was given the hardest client with very restricting work parameters with contracts that are simplistic and low, meaning mess ups are rarer than other clients and when they occur, its not for much. Every person before me hasnt done anything with them.

During my 6+ months in the department, Ive done better than anyone, but still short of what us grunts would call realistic goals. And they wrre currently raised, quite significantly, for reasons unknown.

For 3 months now, my relationship with my supervisor and her boss aka the director, has went downhill fast. I came over with a decades worth of experience and was expected to make miracles happen. The director is known to make promises that are out of her control, so not sure if thats apart of whats been happening. By downhill, I mean MULTIPLE emails that are making mountains out of molehills. Have had surprise meetings, one of which was about my "toxic" attitude, which caught me so off guard I couldnt properly respond. I wrote the director an email stating that I apologized for everything, loved the job and people, and would try my best to turn everything around aka swallow my pride and plate stuff thats not mine.

Her response? That because I sent it 1.5 hours into the work day I must have wasted 1.5 hours of company time, that I always blame others (I have NEVER done this, never alluded, suggested, etc., by anyones possible perception), that I always have an excuse (another absolutely baffling comment, as I absolutely could, but am vigiliant about not doing that, even when they are incredibly valid).

Now today, I started a new project two weeks ago, and last week, forgot to add a copy of an email to each file. While this is my bad, its new, and very much a no harm, no foul thing. While yes, its best practice to do it when youre initially in there, technically it doesnt have to be attached until you close the claim, which could be months. She told me in this very nasty email that it was super important, and we wouldnt have a leg to stand on to claim money if these paid... which is, to put it simply, bullshit. We'd have multiple legs.

Im at a point where Im absolutely miserable at this job. I dont respect management, they are absolutely bullies, and for reasons unknown to me, a witch hunt has been going strong for 3 months now, and Ive somehow been deemed a witch.

Its only a matter of time before Im fired, so for the past month and a half, Ive applied to jobs like Im unemployed, and I havent even gotten a no thanks email yet. I have a meeting tomorrow with them, another one, and we are getting extremely close to one of these being a show you the door meeting, I can feel it. Its been building and building, and Im about as stressed out as I can be. Mentally and physically feeling a definite strain. This is also the worst time in my life to be dealing with this juvenile stuff, as my girlfriend is almost at 7 months pregnant and Im leasing a new car. I havent told her about whats going on because shes had insane morning sickness 24/7 during the pregnancy, shes a social worker and her job is insane right now with being understaff, she has a 4 year old, and until this becomes a thing, it MIGHT not be one, so Ive kept it off her plate because shed be losing her mind more than she already is.

I have a second job serving which is exhausting, but Ive been working it to try to pay off a credit card and maybe get some extra before baby arrives. Im just so stressed out, I feel anxiety and a depressed panic at every moment, I dream about this stuff.

It bothers me so much because Im a very good employee. Ive never called off, never been late, dont take long lunches and walk around the office all day like quite a few people, my audits are good, Im knowledgable, I help out, my teammates love me, but these two fucks decided that I need to be attacked on the daily, and pushed out, and I dont feel like I can do anything other than delay the inevitable.

Looking at jobs in the Cincy-Northern Cincy area, there doesnt feel like much, what is there doesnt pay jack, and I dont know the right people to get me in and let me earn my worth with companies that dont post jobs on websites. I just dont know what to do. I have to get out. Have to. But I cant until I have something else because I have to take care of my family. I need something now before I dont have a job. I mean, Ive applied to 30 jobs in the past 1.5 and havent gotten a peep. Id be losing my shit (and my girlfriend would be on the moon in worry) if I was having this much trouble landing something while currently not working.

I take pride in being a good worker, being good with people, being a pretty nice and bright coworker. I despise that these people have placed me in this position.

End rant. :)

Top Bottom