• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

RedSwirl

This has annoyed me to no end as well. With all these jobs that demand X amount of years of experience, where are you supposed to get the experience to be considered in the first place?

Some people have suggested to ignore the requirement, but it would be so much more helpful if more job ads emphasized on-the-job training.

I didn’t know a single thing about my job’s software (used for digital recording) until after a few months of learning from the repeated problems people would have (“Got this specific problem? Go do this specific thing”).

I tried ignoring that requirement, but at the interview they tend to ask you very specific questions about previous experience with whatever that specific employment area is. There was an article recently somewhere citing this as a possible reason employers can't fill some of their positions: What they really want is to find experienced people and then pay them entry-level wages, but those wages aren't enough for those experienced people, who just end up dropping out of the workforce.

There used to be this thing called "job training" that previous generation had access to.

It's the worst thing about the job market. Even Cashier jobs that teenagers can learn to do in a day expect you to have 6 months to a year's experience. It's so stupid.

I'm convinced that the only reason why I'm even getting an interview next week is because holidays are coming up and they're desperate to have people handle the high volume.

magichans

Banned
A week ago I applied for an IT Customer Support position, and within an hour they phoned me to ask a few questions and had me take a typing speed test. I haven't heard from them since.

Since it's been a week, I thought I'd send out a followup email. But while looking up how to phrase such an email, I saw some sites saying to do it to let the employer know you're still interested, and others saying not to send followups because it makes you look like an attention whore.

Which is right? And what's a good way to phrase an application followup? (I haven't been formally interviewed yet)
I personally really don't bother to send. If they were interested they would've contacted you. Or maybe they are still interviewing people and coming to a decision.

I wouldn't worry about coming off as an "attention whore" or anything like that unless you were sending more than one follow up email.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Haven't heard back for 2 weeks and now it's looking like my plan B won't respond to me either

This will be my 3rd shot at a position. Feeling absolutely demoralized at the moment.

I know the feeling. I have had 4 job opportunities lined up and all 4 fell through for one reason or another. Other people getting hired, jobs being eliminated, restructuring, etc. It's a terrible feeling.

A week ago I applied for an IT Customer Support position, and within an hour they phoned me to ask a few questions and had me take a typing speed test. I haven't heard from them since.

Since it's been a week, I thought I'd send out a followup email. But while looking up how to phrase such an email, I saw some sites saying to do it to let the employer know you're still interested, and others saying not to send followups because it makes you look like an attention whore.

Which is right? And what's a good way to phrase an application followup? (I haven't been formally interviewed yet)

I have asked for an update before just to see if the job was filled by someone else, if the job was cancelled/put on hold, if there was something lacking in my interview that ruled me out, etc. There was a position where I did contact the recruiter and she put some urgency in the hiring manager to pick someone and I did end up getting the job. But that did only happen once. But my thought is that it can't hurt, if they are not going to hire you anyway, good to get some closure or get some reasoning as to why you weren't hired.

Dead Guy

Quick question Gaf. I'm currently in talks with 2 different companies and am scheduling interviews. Is it a good thing to mentioned you are being interviewed somewhere else or should I avoid telling them of each other?

Quick question Gaf. I'm currently in talks with 2 different companies and am scheduling interviews. Is it a good thing to mentioned you are being interviewed somewhere else or should I avoid telling them of each other?

Personally I'd wait until a second interview before bringing it up

Been applying to any and all WebDev jobs around the Seattle Area that are more or less entry level (per my experience in Seattle U's WebDev Program and my own programming abilities) and I haven't had an interview in a month. This shit feels rough.

entremet

Been applying to any and all WebDev jobs around the Seattle Area that are more or less entry level (per my experience in Seattle U's WebDev Program and my own programming abilities) and I haven't had an interview in a month. This shit feels rough.
Might want to redo your resume and cover letter. Those help get you the interview.

dpunk3

I've applied for easily over 100 jobs in the Boston area in the past month, I'm in contact with 3 recruiters and have been working for 5 years, with 1 being in a help desk environment.

I've heard back in person from 3 of them, been to 3 interviews, completed 2 online interviews, and have no job offers.

I hate this so much.

Should mention I'm trying to get a job in IT. I wish I had certification, it would make this a whole lot easier, but I don't have the money to get certified.

Socivol

Going on a year of the job search :( I went ahead and gave my resignation at my current job. I was miserable and it was effecting my health. I'm hopeful that making finding a new job my main priority will pan out better than looking while working.

Slo

I've applied for easily over 100 jobs in the Boston area in the past month, I'm in contact with 3 recruiters and have been working for 5 years, with 1 being in a help desk environment.

I've heard back in person from 3 of them, been to 3 interviews, completed 2 online interviews, and have no job offers.

I hate this so much.

Should mention I'm trying to get a job in IT. I wish I had certification, it would make this a whole lot easier, but I don't have the money to get certified.

Are you asking for feedback from them? You should. It's a numbers game for sure, but your resume and portfolio must not be comparing will to your peers.

Kieli

Going on a year of the job search :( I went ahead and gave my resignation at my current job. I was miserable and it was effecting my health. I'm hopeful that making finding a new job my main priority will pan out better than looking while working.

Much respect to you. I know the overwhelming consensus is to make sure you first have an offer lined up, but I personally think mental and physical health is too important to sacrifice.

Socivol

Much respect to you. I know the overwhelming consensus is to make sure you first have an offer lined up, but I personally think mental and physical health is too important to sacrifice.

I have been so depressed and on edge I actually had to take 3 weeks of medical leave. I get paid really shitty for what I'm doing and it's just not worth it. I was only stayed for the health coverage but I got my medications for the next couple of months. I have several interviews lined up and I'm hoping that one of those turns out. I also purchased a Udemy course for a skill I want to learn and it will give me time to focus on that as well.

Kieli

I have been so depressed and on edge I actually had to take 3 weeks of medical leave. I get paid really shitty for what I'm doing and it's just not worth it. I was only stayed for the health coverage but I got my medications for the next couple of months. I have several interviews lined up and I'm hoping that one of those turns out. I also purchased a Udemy course for a skill I want to learn and it will give me time to focus on that as well.

Sounds like a plan. :)

Wish you the best of luck in your search. I haven't taken too many Udemy courses, but the ones I have taken have been worth it.

dpunk3

Are you asking for feedback from them? You should. It's a numbers game for sure, but your resume and portfolio must not be comparing will to your peers.

Feedback from the recruiters? They aren't even hearing back from the places I'm applying to, there's no critique to get.

SOLDIER

I really wish I could get some ideas on what kind of job I should apply for next. I want something that offers equal pay and benefits or greater while also adding more skills to my resume.

Since we were stressing about entry level vs experience, are there any lucrative IT/Software/Computer-related jobs that typically offer on-the-job training? I would especially prefer any that would let you acquire the necessary certificate while working.

I always read about the kind of certs you should get for IT-type jobs, but my current job is full time and I’d rather not add more school to my schedule. I’d rhere are jobs where I can both work and learn what I need for the certs, that would be the path I would most likely focus on.

Also if anyone is willing to look over my resume on PM, let me know. Alternatively here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/

Meh3D

I did the exact same just a month ago. It was a constant battle where it felt the current job took most of your energy with little left over for seeking/exploring new opportunities.

I have like 9 months before I graduate from my university and I'm trying to find a job but to have experience but is hard because they don't want to hire me because of my lack of experience or because I will graduate soon :(

entremet

I really wish I could get some ideas on what kind of job I should apply for next. I want something that offers equal pay and benefits or greater while also adding more skills to my resume.

Since we were stressing about entry level vs experience, are there any lucrative IT/Software/Computer-related jobs that typically offer on-the-job training? I would especially prefer any that would let you acquire the necessary certificate while working.

I always read about the kind of certs you should get for IT-type jobs, but my current job is full time and I’d rather not add more school to my schedule. I’d rhere are jobs where I can both work and learn what I need for the certs, that would be the path I would most likely focus on.

Also if anyone is willing to look over my resume on PM, let me know. Alternatively here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/
On the job training is rarely formalized these days. You basically learn as you go. Really it's about hustling. If you see there's a project where a coworker needs help, pitch in. Just make sure you have your stuff done and taken care of.

Also, don't wait for a job to learn new things. Take online courses, watch YT videos, volunteer, listen to industry podcasts, read books, and so on. The job market today is one where everyone is now their own research and development department.

RK9039

I

Are you trying to get into an IT support role? CompTIA A+ is a good place to start usually. That's the only cert I had when I started my work placement and then into a full time permanent role. I've got more since then. My manager is helping me build new servers from scratch as I am revising for my Windows Server 2012 exam. I think it depends on the work environment.

My manager doesn't even have any certificates, but since he was able to expose himself to learning about networks and how to set them up he became a network engineer. He keeps telling me to read Network Fundamentals, pretty good book.

Also this is true:

On the job training is rarely formalized these days. You basically learn as you go. Really it's about hustling. If you see there's a project where a coworker needs help, pitch in. Just make sure you have your stuff done and taken care of.

Also, don't wait for a job to learn new things. Take online courses, watch YT videos, volunteer, listen to industry podcasts, read books, and so on. The job market today is one where everyone is now their own research and development department.

I bought a bunch of online courses on Udemy and it really helped me out a lot. Really good exam prep.

Also learning on the job in this field isn't so strange. I had to learn about this old telephone system the place I work at uses (BCM). The previous technician left so it fell down to me and she didn't leave me any hand over notes. In a day or two with a lot tinkering and some instructions from BT I've been able to troubleshoot it quite easily. I get all the telephone tickets now.

entremet

Are you trying to get into an IT support role? CompTIA A+ is a good place to start usually. That's the only cert I had when I started my work placement and then into a full time permanent role. I've got more since then. My manager is helping me build new servers from scratch as I am revising for my Windows Server 2012 exam. I think it depends on the work environment.

My manager doesn't even have any certificates, but since he was able to expose himself to learning about networks and how to set them up he became a network engineer. He keeps telling me to read Network Fundamentals, pretty good book.

Also this is true:

I bought a bunch of online courses on Udemy and it really helped me out a lot. Really good exam prep.

Also learning on the job in this field isn't so strange. I had to learn about this old telephone system the place I work at uses (BCM). The previous technician left so it fell down to me and she didn't leave me any hand over notes. In a day or two with a lot tinkering and some instructions from BT I've been able to troubleshoot it quite easily. I get all the telephone tickets now.
Oh I agree, but it's not like you're going to some seminars on the company dime. Those days are over! I remember reading about a man who worked for AT&T in the 80s. He got tons of free seminars on various topics. All which helped his career immensely. That just doesn't happen anymore.

AsakuraZ

Reading this thread thus far is comforting and stressing at the same time, if that makes any sense. I'm currently applying for jobs while I finish my last semester and just starting to feel the pressure and stress of trying to find work that I'll be happy in.

Sorithin

Hi all - I need career advice!

So about 3 months ago, I interviewed for a job I really really wanted. Out of 100 applicants, 6 were selected for a phone interview and 3 of those moved on to the in-person interviews. I was one of the people selected for an in-person interview, but did not ultimately get it.

3 weeks ago, a different woman from that company (that I never talked to from a different department) emailed me asking if I had accepted another position yet, and if not, if I'd be interested in a certain position that opened in her department. She already had a couple of phone interviews set up, but reached out to me anyways. I said definitely, had a phone interview with her on September 15 and felt I aced it. She said she had a couple more phone interviews still, then they would move on with in-person interviews and were looking to have the position filled in a month (around October 16). I emailed her on September 26 thanking her again for her time and just to follow-up. She never responded. Do I email her again? Is it too soon?

I just think it'd be odd for her to just never get back to me because she sounded enthusiastic about my interview and she was the one who reached out to me, so I obviously fit the criteria well. Maybe she isn't allowed to respond to emails if they haven't selected people for in-person interviews yet?

frontovik

Banned
HR works in mysterious ways, if she's interested in your application, they will follow-up. Otherwise, just keep on searching in the meantime.

NandoGip

My background is mostly inside sales, account management, customer service, etc

But

I don't want to do sales anymore.

Any advice?

Sorithin

HR works in mysterious ways, if she's interested in your application, they will follow-up. Otherwise, just keep on searching in the meantime.

It's not HR though. I dealt with HR during the interview process for the first position, but this one, the VP of the department reached out to me.. no HR involved.

mhayes86

I always read about the kind of certs you should get for IT-type jobs, but my current job is full time and I'd rather not add more school to my schedule. I'd rhere are jobs where I can both work and learn what I need for the certs, that would be the path I would most likely focus on.

For IT, entry level jobs like help desk (not particularly lucrative) are a way to get your foot in the door, and if you show enthusiasm to learn and improve your skills, you can get bumped into sys admin and systems engineering roles which are more lucrative.

For some basic certs, the CompTIA A+ and Security+ certs are easy enough to study on your own from reading a well reviewed textbook and doing some sample tests online. If you have some IT experience or background, they're even easier.

A lot of IT jobs, depending on the company at least, don't always do on the job training, but as entrement said, it's learn as you go. Many places will hire you if you have some background experience (relevant college courses as well), and you show that interest or knowledge during your interview and fit the company culture. Your manager may throw you into a project with another co-worker, and your co-worker will show you some stuff or tell you what to do. Do you have a home lab to tinker around with? Set up virtualization and build a Windows domain environment, or play around with Linux if you don't already. Learn scripting as well.

As for assisting with other certs, some companies may offer paid training, or reimburse you. My company will pay for courses and certifications, but you're indentured and will need to use personal time if you need to take days off for it. If you fail the test or leave the company within 24 months of the test, you are require to pay that money back. I was offered free training and travel once last year that I wasn't indentured to or had to use PTO for which was really nice.

TheDanger

Banned
So I was unemployed for almost a year, finally found something as an IT tech, but they let me go in the trial period without telling me a reason (even though they gave me a perfect recommendation), I was so demoralized I didn't even bother applying for jobs for a bit, but then I did and now I landed a way better job as an IT admin at a university of applied sciences.

So now I just have to hold this down, the job is really great so far, so what I'm trying to say even when things look completely dreadful and there is no hope left there is always a chance of something great coming along.

Good luck to everyone searching, you can do this.

frontovik

Banned
It's not HR though. I dealt with HR during the interview process for the first position, but this one, the VP of the department reached out to me.. no HR involved.
Ah my apologies, that is quite odd in your situation. I would follow up with her to show you are still interested in the position, don't get discouraged by the silence.

badrang

Well after not getting offers after three previous interviews, I am taking the shit sales job...no commission. I hope I get another opportunity or interview soon so I can bail from this one. Hope I am not making a mistake.

dskillzhtown

I hate this so much.

Maybe take some Udemy courses? I mean, it's something. You can get the knowledge and put it on the resume. It's cheap and I hear good things.

Well after not getting offers after three previous interviews, I am taking the shit sales job...no commission. I hope I get another opportunity or interview soon so I can bail from this one. Hope I am not making a mistake.

You have to do what you have to do when you need income. Might be a shit sales job, but it's something that hopefully offers flexibility enough to keep looking for something else.

I'm trying to look for a full time position elsewhere, and I'm finding that... this is not going to go as well as I'd like. I knew it was going to be rough but this is so much worse than I anticipated. I'm a software engineer, and I've been in the industry for 10(!) years, but those were all in a part time capacity at a consulting firm.

Without going into much detail, all I can say is that I feel like I've really screwed up, and I find a lot of difficulty in marketing myself. I don't have much confidence in myself, and I'm afraid that the 10 years of work on my resume will work against me. I think I could do better than an entry level position, though I would take that and work up from there if given the opportunity.

Right now I'm looking on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed, and trying to apply for jobs that I think I would qualify for. But I think I have bigger problems that I don't know how to address. Any advice at this point would be welcome.

dskillzhtown

My background is mostly inside sales, account management, customer service, etc

But

I don't want to do sales anymore.

Any advice?

Try to get some IT certifications or training to get you an entry job somewhere. Account management might lend itself to product management also. Customer service might get you into some call center management as well. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

dskillzhtown

I'm trying to look for a full time position elsewhere, and I'm finding that... this is not going to go as well as I'd like. I knew it was going to be rough but this is so much worse than I anticipated. I'm a software engineer, and I've been in the industry for 10(!) years, but those were all in a part time capacity at a consulting firm.

Without going into much detail, all I can say is that I feel like I've really screwed up, and I find a lot of difficulty in marketing myself. I don't have much confidence in myself, and I'm afraid that the 10 years of work on my resume will work against me. I think I could do better than an entry level position, though I would take that and work up from there if given the opportunity.

Right now I'm looking on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed, and trying to apply for jobs that I think I would qualify for. But I think I have bigger problems that I don't know how to address. Any advice at this point would be welcome.

If you can afford it, have a company rewrite your resume. Some of those companies can present what you perceive as a negative into a positive. I had that done once years ago and was able to use it for years after with minor updates by me. Also hooking up with a reputable recruiting firm can help as well. They can present you in a very positive light and give you the reality of the job market in your area for someone with you background. Utilize all the resources you can.

Well, while I've managed to get a job at TK Maxx as a part time, seasonal assistant, I'm still looking at something more involved with my academic aims. Today I did some math with regards to the salary I would receive from a job I am applying for, and was kinda hit by the crushing realisation that basically half my salary would be eaten by travel costs alone, as the hours would require travelling into London at peak times.

In this instance it's part-time too - not a lot of options in Museums that aren't senior in some fashion, so looking around - so whatever savings I might get out of railcards and season tickets would be minimal or non-existence, since I'd be paying for all the days I wouldn't be using.

Yeesh.

I'd just like to relay this story because I'm just so crushed at the moment (apologies, its a long one):

I've been looking for a new job for a year and a half now. Luckily, I'm looking while having a job currently, so I know I have it better than other people, but the reason I'm looking is two-fold.

First, about two years ago our entire organization changed leadership to a man who is basically so shitty if he was written as an 80's movie villain you'd find find it too unbelievable. Garbage person with zero experience in our field, who hired about 10 high level people from his old group who all also have zero experience in our field (into roles that didn't exist, didn't need to exist, and do nothing) while simultaneously telling everyone there's no money to hire anyone or promote anyone. He's basically torpedoed the entire organization over the past two years, anyone with any talent or experience has either left (he's looking at upwards of 40 people leaving during his reign) or is stuck doing wasteful, useless work while looking to leave. It has become an absolute nightmare.

Second, I happen to have some pretty bad stomach issues, which makes the commute to my job an immense struggle each morning. Between that and the stress of the job itself, I started working from home more and more. THEN, we come to find out they are moving us out of the city, which would make my commute even worse. I'm now working from home all the time. No one seems to have a problem with this, but I know it is in no way helping my career and the only reason they are dealing with it is that they can't afford to lose anyone else (yet somehow don't realize you need to give people raises or promotions to keep them).

With that out of the way, I'd like to get to the job I've been applying for. I was put into contact with someone through a friend over a year ago regarding getting a job in his group at the old company I used to work for. I had talked to this person previously (about 4 years ago) as well in the interest of joining his group but at the time, there was nothing available. So anyway, getting towards the end of 2016, he reaches out to excitedly tell me there is an opening in his group, exactly at the level I'm at and tells me as soon as there is a job posting to apply.

About a month later the job gets posted. He tells me immediately to apply. I apply and extremely quickly get an interview set up (literally the first work day of this year). They tell me don't worry it'll be a little while because I was the first person and they are still setting up other people to interview. Two weeks go by, I contact him just to see whats up, he says don't worry they are still going through the interviews, two weeks go by again and I contact him again and they quickly set me up for a second round (now its February). Great! Second Round! This interview seems to go very well also. Then back to the two week cycle of contacting him after hearing nothing (this pattern continues very frequently throughout). It is now March, and after this whole process (he had repeatedly told me throughout that HR was extremely slow) he flat out told me that they've made a decision and I should be hearing from HR soon. Without telling me I got the job he was telling me I got the job. I was so happy, after 8 months I was finally going to be out of the hell of my old job and into a new one!

Well I never heard from HR. He started saying things were getting complicated there, taking a long time etc. Ultimately by April, he said that it looks like they aren't going to be allowed to fill the roll. At this point, though extremely disappointed, I understood, knowing these things happen.

Through someone completely unrelated, I come to find that the whole company went on a hiring freeze, as they were laying off a number of mid level managers (one turned out to be one of the people I had interviewed with, not my main contact however). This unrelated person told me not to worry, as things should be opening back up after the summer.

Sure enough in June (now a full year since I started looking for a job), I get contacted by the person I've been in contact with the whole time for the job asking me if I'm still interested because they are now able to fill the roll. Of course! He mentions that he doesn't know if they need to set up a new job posting and go through the process again (which suggests to me that the alternative would just be giving me the job, as they already seemed to decide on me).

Unfortunately, as these things go, they need to re-post the job as it was too long of a gap since I had last interviewed. The two week cycle of contact in full effect until they finally post the job in July and then I finally get an interview in August.

I go in for an exact repeat of the first interview I did, with the same exact people, same questions, same room, same everything. Then I waited a month. Heard nothing. So I happened to look at the job posting and noticed it now said "inactive", I didn't know exactly what that meant so I reached out to him.

"Not sure what that status means other than possibly that we are no longer taking any applicants. I can say that there is an internal candidate in the mix this time around that was not in the mix back in January. But I will let you know once a decision has been made."

I got the above email on the morning of my birthday. That does not sound like a good email.

Well I waited again, hearing nothing until waking up today to an automated email telling me I didn't get the job. An automated email told me. Not the guy I've been in constant contact with every two weeks for almost a year now. For a job that on multiple occasions he basically told me I had in no small words. Ten months of this extraordinarily stressful back and forth with immense highs and defeating lows. Ten months trying to get one job, repeating interviews from scratch just because of the by-the-book necessity.

All of this, so that they could simply hire someone else who applied a month ago.

I'm now back to square one, extraordinarily stressed out, flat out scared I won't ever be able to get out of my current job until they decide to lay me off. A year and a half of searching, back to zero. Nothing on the horizon, no one else getting back to me at the moment, any contacts I have would have contacted me at some point if there was anything at all, but there is nothing. Hell, I'm even willing to take a pay cut, just to get out of the place I am and into somewhere I want to be, but no, no one even wants to do that because they just think you will immediately bounce. So I'm trapped. I'm trapped and having a panic attack.

Ten months of this just for them to hand the job over to someone who applied a month ago, and I don't even get an email from the guy who has been in constant contact with me this entire time...

SOLDIER

I’m still unsure if IT Support is the right fit for me, because I’m not sure what the daily work routines are like. Is it typically a high pressure job? How are the benefits?

The things I like about my current job are that it’s low stress, mostly reactive, has great health benefits and more time off than I know what to do with.

The cons are the monotonous day-to-day routines and the horrible, horrible commute. As an 8-5 job I’m always stuck at the ass-end of traffic.

If you tell me most IT jobs are at less common times and offer work-at-home options, then I’ll focus on that field without hesitation.

dskillzhtown

I'd just like to relay this story because I'm just so crushed at the moment (apologies, its a long one):

I've been looking for a new job for a year and a half now. Luckily, I'm looking while having a job currently, so I know I have it better than other people, but the reason I'm looking is two-fold.

Ten months of this just for them to hand the job over to someone who applied a month ago, and I don't even get an email from the guy who has been in constant contact with me this entire time...

Been there, done that. In my situation I actually was hired and told on the Thursday before the Monday I was supposed to come in that the job had been eliminated. The good thing is you have a job, income. I didn't have jack but a job that I lost before even getting hired. I have been unemployed for 7 months now. I would go back to the shitty job I had before in a second. It was a job, insurance, income, security. As much as I hated it, being without one at all is the absolute worst. I am eating up every bit of savings I had just to eat.

SOLDIER

I also don’t want to start at a “lower tier” position, even if it’s necessary for advancement. I already have tier 1 experience with my current job, and have observed how the IT guys do their thing.

Ideally, what kind of positions do you think I could get with the A+ cert?

Slo

My man....

I mean....

I know you're just venting, and this is the perfect thread for that, but man you let yourself get strung out on a job for 10 months. Don't put 'em all in one basket like that dude.

don't get me wrong, I had been applying to other things the entire time, just that nothing else worked out or was near as close to the perfect combination as this was (commute, pay, company, etc.)

It's more just incredible how many times this guy reached out to me, not the other way around, going through the whole process multiple times, only for it to be handed to another person randomly who applied a month ago and I still haven't heard directly from the guy, all I got was an automated email...

NandoGip

Try to get some IT certifications or training to get you an entry job somewhere. Account management might lend itself to product management also. Customer service might get you into some call center management as well. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Any specific certificate recommendations? Someone I asked suggested "Red Hat" Certification

SOLDIER

Any specification certificate recommendations? Someone I asked suggested "Red Hat" Certification

I’d like to know as well: everyone always says to start with A+, but it would help to know what jobs are potentially available upon receiving that certificate, and whether or not it’s better to compliment the certificate with something else before job hunting with it.

I’m simply tired of my current job, but I don’t want to leave it yet unless I find something equal or better. I’m going to finally start watching some A+ guides and material, but I still don’t know what kind of jobs to look for once I get it.

NandoGip

worked for a year to set myself up to apply for this one company in particular.... just got a rejection email from them :(

really hard not to feel bad about yourself

Ugh I've avoided posting in here but I'm really just crazy frustrated at this point. Recruiters especially are killing me. I had an interview set up for next week for a position I really wanted. They checked references and everything.. Very Gung ho about getting me in there asap.

I call to check up and make sure everything is set up and the recruiter goes on saying Yea the manager is talking to her for budget approval.
-Wait.. They didn't have approval for the position??
-Oh... Uh..... Didn't we talk a couple days ago how they filled the position internally?
-no.... NO WE DID NOT HAVE THAT CONVERSATION

I've had something similar to this multiple times over the past few months and I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
Time to check in with this other interview I had.. Probably be more bad news.
Sorry to vent.

entremet

worked for a year to set myself up to apply for this one company in particular.... just got a rejection email from them :(

really hard not to feel bad about yourself

It can suck, but this is why is to treat job hunting like dating. Don't settle on one person too quickly. Play the field and keep your options open before making an emotional commitment. Jobs are even more finicky than people lol.

If you do have a dream company. You can always keep applying too.

Top Bottom