• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ugh I've avoided posting in here but I'm really just crazy frustrated at this point. Recruiters especially are killing me. I had an interview set up for next week for a position I really wanted. They checked references and everything.. Very Gung ho about getting me in there asap.

I call to check up and make sure everything is set up and the recruiter goes on saying Yea the manager is talking to her for budget approval.
-Wait.. They didn't have approval for the position??
-Oh... Uh..... Didn't we talk a couple days ago how they filled the position internally?
-no.... NO WE DID NOT HAVE THAT CONVERSATION

I've had something similar to this multiple times over the past few months and I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
Time to check in with this other interview I had.. Probably be more bad news.
Sorry to vent.

Venting is what this thread is for. No need to apologize. I have been there and done that. I got hired by a company and on the Thursday before I was to start I was told that the job had been eliminated. I was so disappointed, mad and frustrated. I also have had situations where a company was reaching out to recruiters but they didn't have approval to actually hire anyone yet. When that approval never came, I was S.O.L. It's frustrating, it is best to continue to look and apply until you have a sure thing. It is EXTREMELY hard not to get your hopes up but after getting them crushed a few times you start to get numb to it.

As for me, I have been looking for about 7 months. 7 months without a job has been rough. I got an interview with a company that I applied to a month and a half ago. I quickly got a second interview and was offered the job which I accepted I am supposed to start in a week. Now today, I get a call for a second interview from a much larger company that I applied to. I am going to go through with the interview because I do think it is a much better fit than where I have already been hired to. If I get that job then I will have to make a decision. But either way it seems that my job search will finally be over. Finally!

Keep pushing, don't give up, feel free to take a break from the search to maintain your sanity, don't feel guilty about having fun while unemployed.

Venting is what this thread is for. No need to apologize. I have been there and done that. I got hired by a company and on the Thursday before I was to start I was told that the job had been eliminated. I was so disappointed, mad and frustrated. I also have had situations where a company was reaching out to recruiters but they didn't have approval to actually hire anyone yet. When that approval never came, I was S.O.L. It's frustrating, it is best to continue to look and apply until you have a sure thing. It is EXTREMELY hard not to get your hopes up but after getting them crushed a few times you start to get numb to it.

Wow..Damn.. That's harsh man. I guess you're right though I am in the right thread for venting. Did you eventually end up finding something? I am totally numb at this point though. I used to get excited for interviews but now it's turned into sigh let's see how this place passes on me. Certainly not a good attitude for interviews haha.

Ogodei

My new job saw its background check slip back a week (should come back next Thursday), which is fun because my temp job hustled me out after i gave notice. So now i'm stuck at home next week.

Fortunately it's no cause for concern. Apparently Virginia residents are slower to check because Virginia never automated records searching so it takes longer for that information to come back.

So, I am graduating this semester CS major. I have a good GPA and 2 internships. I have been applying online and only one company got back to me so far. And needless to say it being first interview the nerves got to me and I botched it. Any tips on how to look for jobs? I get a feeling like applying online has a very small chance of getting an interview regardless of your skills.

Ogodei

So, I am graduating this semester CS major. I have a good GPA and 2 internships. I have been applying online and only one company got back to me so far. And needless to say it being first interview the nerves got to me and I botched it. Any tips on how to look for jobs? I get a feeling like applying online has a very small chance of getting an interview regardless of your skills.

Pre-graduation is sometimes hard because you're not available until new year's, basically, which is still a hard sell in October for some places.

I don't know about Comp Sci fields, but the internet approach should definitely work with your skillset. Just know exactly what your specializations are, do good keyword searches with indeed.com (or something else, but it's pretty well agreed that indeed casts the widest net), and make sure to tailor your resume for every application you put in (that is, change around what you include in there, or even just change how you word it, because resumes are keyword-searched on the employer's end).

Dead Guy

Just dropped by to say I finally landed a job after unemployment for 5 months! God that post graduation period without a job is shit.

I start Tuesday as a lab assistant in a salt mine. I can now say I literally work in the salt mine which is kinda cool.

Meh3D

Two Months So far here

It's difficult knowing that I can do a job but won't get a chance unless I play what I call the"coding game." Codility so far makes me feel the worst. This tool feels like it disregards everything that makes me a great employee / software engineer to have and promotes the "playing the game" aspect.

Lately, I'm slowing down on doing Cracking the Coding Interview / Interview Cake / Project Euler problems and just working on my repositories adding code and documentation. Don't get me wrong, I find the problems fun; just that I haven't been given a chance to code on a white board.

I'm curious about how many coders here are looking for work.

BizzyBum

Had an interview on Monday and felt like I nailed it. Interviewed with 4 people including the damn owner of the company and he made it sound like I was a shoe in and would be receiving a call shortly.

And it's now Friday and nada. So confused and kinda pissed, actually. I guess it's still possible I'll get it but it's not looking good now I guess.

I’d like to know as well: everyone always says to start with A+, but it would help to know what jobs are potentially available upon receiving that certificate, and whether or not it’s better to compliment the certificate with something else before job hunting with it.

I’m simply tired of my current job, but I don’t want to leave it yet unless I find something equal or better. I’m going to finally start watching some A+ guides and material, but I still don’t know what kind of jobs to look for once I get it.

As someone who works in IT, if there was a certification that would guarantee me getting out of Help Desk, I would take it. It's more complicated than that. There are a lot of different factors such as experience+certifications+education+who you know, etc.

Assanova

I'd like to know as well: everyone always says to start with A+, but it would help to know what jobs are potentially available upon receiving that certificate, and whether or not it's better to compliment the certificate with something else before job hunting with it.

I'm simply tired of my current job, but I don't want to leave it yet unless I find something equal or better. I'm going to finally start watching some A+ guides and material, but I still don't know what kind of jobs to look for once I get it.

Any specific certificate recommendations? Someone I asked suggested "Red Hat" Certification

Look up the ITIL certification if you are trying to get into IT. I have the A+ cert and I would say that it is almost worthless if you're seriously trying to do anything other than call center type work. Back when I was applying for my first IT job, it didn't get me very far.

Assanova

And I also might add that a lot of the serious IT jobs that pay well, will favor you over others if you have the ITIL cert.

I graduate this December and I've been applying to several places. It isn't what I want to do for a career, but it is something to keep money in my pocket until I can make more moves. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Just dropped by to say I finally landed a job after unemployment for 5 months! God that post graduation period without a job is shit.

I start Tuesday as a lab assistant in a salt mine. I can now say I literally work in the salt mine which is kinda cool.
Congrats!

I'm entering the phase that you just left. :p

Dead Guy

I graduate this December and I've been applying to several places. It isn't what I want to do for a career, but it is something to keep money in my pocket until I can make more moves. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Congrats!

I'm entering the phase that you just left. :p

Wish I could say it's a nice break after school but god is it frustrating after several months. Good luck!

TheContact

Had an interview on Monday and felt like I nailed it. Interviewed with 4 people including the damn owner of the company and he made it sound like I was a shoe in and would be receiving a call shortly.

And it's now Friday and nada. So confused and kinda pissed, actually. I guess it's still possible I'll get it but it's not looking good now I guess.

Send a follow up email thanking them for their time and express (without seeming desperate) that you’re excited to be a part of the company. Also, each company is different with their hiring process. At my current job I interviewed in early July, didn’t get a call back confirming I got the job until a couple weeks later, once I did, it took a month from the time they told me I had the job until I started working there, but in my case it’s a govt/state facility so the background checks are insanely thorough.

As someone who works in IT, if there was a certification that would guarantee me getting out of Help Desk, I would take it. It's more complicated than that. There are a lot of different factors such as experience+certifications+education+who you know, etc.

I work in IT. You really have to start at the help desk level if you’re new to the field. But to start heading out of that direction, stay within comptia for a bit and study for your N+ then go for S+. If security interests you, it’s an awesome path to take. It’s fun and you don’t really have to do helpdesk. But of course each job will ask different things from you so you may be a hybrid or asked to be a jack of all trades type of thing. If you like networking more than security, start going for your CCNA (hard and expensive) but you can make 6 figures going that route.

Assanova

I have to be honest, I never heard of the ITIL certification.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/03/18/15-top-paying-it-certifications-in-2017/amp/

and

https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/content/articles/top-paying-certifications/

I said the same thing when I first heard about it. When I look at job advertisements in IT, it’s everywhere. And when you understand what it is, you will know that it’s used all over IT. The best part, is that it’s used in almost every area of IT that you choose to go in; management, development, etc. If you can get that cert, you are ahead of the game when it comes to landing a job in the IT department of a big corporation.

Send a follow up email thanking them for their time and express (without seeming desperate) that you're excited to be a part of the company. Also, each company is different with their hiring process. At my current job I interviewed in early July, didn't get a call back confirming I got the job until a couple weeks later, once I did, it took a month from the time they told me I had the job until I started working there, but in my case it's a govt/state facility so the background checks are insanely thorough.

I work in IT. You really have to start at the help desk level if you're new to the field. But to start heading out of that direction, stay within comptia for a bit and study for your N+ then go for S+. If security interests you, it's an awesome path to take. It's fun and you don't really have to do helpdesk. But of course each job will ask different things from you so you may be a hybrid or asked to be a jack of all trades type of thing. If you like networking more than security, start going for your CCNA (hard and expensive) but you can make 6 figures going that route.

I already have A+, Network+, and Security+. Looking to pass the ICND2 for the CCNA by the end of the year. After that, I am going to send out my resume and see how valuable people perceive me. Worse case scenario, I get practice with my resume and possible interviews. I like my boss and I get to work from home one day a week. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to stay in this job for another few years or so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/03/18/15-top-paying-it-certifications-in-2017/amp/

and

https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/content/articles/top-paying-certifications/

I said the same thing when I first heard about it. When I look at job advertisements in IT, it's everywhere. And when you understand what it is, you will know that it's used all over IT. The best part, is that it's used in almost every area of IT that you choose to go in; management, development, etc. If you can get that cert, you are ahead of the game when it comes to landing a job in the IT department of a big corporation.
It's something I'll take a look into after my current plan of certs ends.

TheContact

I already have A+, Network+, and Security+. Looking to pass the ICND2 for the CCNA by the end of the year. After that, I am going to send out my resume and see how valuable people perceive me. Worse case scenario, I get practice with my resume and possible interviews. I like my boss and I get to work from home one day a week. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to stay in this job for another few years or so.

That’s good. Definitely apply and see what you get. It certainly couldn’t hurt and you may just get an offer better than what you’re doing now. I was at a nice job and had a ton of fun since I worked with my peers and we all had similar interests, but it was a helpdesk job with very little room for growth (small business MSP), I applied for a better job with much better pay and benefits just for shits not really expecting to get it and I was offered the position. It can’t hurt to weigh your options if you’re willing to just sacrifice the time to do resumes and interviews.

dskillzhtown

Wow..Damn.. That's harsh man. I guess you're right though I am in the right thread for venting. Did you eventually end up finding something? I am totally numb at this point though. I used to get excited for interviews but now it's turned into sigh let's see how this place passes on me. Certainly not a good attitude for interviews haha.

I accepted an offer to a job, then 3 days later another company called me for a 2nd interview. The second company is a MUCH better fit, so I am going to continue to move forward with them. I am still looking. Until I start working, and like the new situation will keep applying.

dskillzhtown

My advice is to keep applying at other places. You never know what is going on at the company and maybe calling you isn't top priority right now. Maybe the offer has to go through legal and HR first, maybe they are trying to determine where you are going to sit, etc. You never know what is going on but you have to keep looking just in case that call never comes. I completely HATE that period of waiting for someone to call you back.

Did you send a thank you email? That sometimes does get the ball rolling.

This seems like the best place to post this...

Currently applying to a bunch of internships. Need to do one for my degree. Most of them aren't going to go anywhere, because I applied to a bunch of more sought after places.
A couple seem promising though.

haimon

Quick question Gaf. I'm currently in talks with 2 different companies and am scheduling interviews. Is it a good thing to mentioned you are being interviewed somewhere else or should I avoid telling them of each other?
I am in a similar position and was asked if I am interviewing at other places.

I said that I was but was not far along in the process.

It's a problem since the first place I interviewed with gave me an offer but the second place has a great position that would fit me like a glove.

Both are great companies so that is not a reason to not with it either one...

RK9039

I’m still unsure if IT Support is the right fit for me, because I’m not sure what the daily work routines are like. Is it typically a high pressure job? How are the benefits?

The things I like about my current job are that it’s low stress, mostly reactive, has great health benefits and more time off than I know what to do with.

The cons are the monotonous day-to-day routines and the horrible, horrible commute. As an 8-5 job I’m always stuck at the ass-end of traffic.

If you tell me most IT jobs are at less common times and offer work-at-home options, then I’ll focus on that field without hesitation.

It really depends on where you are working. In my current job we support around 150 users, we close around 500 technical requests (tickets) a month. I know in bigger companies they have way more to do than that.

It can be quite high pressure because there can be a lot of tickets you end up working on everyday. Some of these are straightforward, but others require more thinking and investigation, and then you can have disaster situations which require a lot of quick thinking. The other thing is the people themselves -- some users can be rude sometimes but as long you stay professional and follow the proper procedures they can't really do anything.

I'm personally enjoying it. However I am going down the network route as my manager is mentoring us.

I also don’t want to start at a “lower tier” position, even if it’s necessary for advancement. I already have tier 1 experience with my current job, and have observed how the IT guys do their thing.

Ideally, what kind of positions do you think I could get with the A+ cert?

1st line is a common place to start in IT support. If you aren't looking to do much helpdesk work then try looking for some 2nd line support roles, typically you branch out to 2nd line from 1st line.

With A+ you can easily get into 1st line (and 2nd line for that matter) - that's what I did, I got myself a Windows cert as well but that was after I became permanent.

I have to be honest, I never heard of the ITIL certification.

ITIL seems to be quite popular, I see it as a requirement in a lot of IT support jobs these days. I'm just trying to learn the key concepts for now rather than doing the exam.

RedSwirl

Anybody ever got emails from something called Bubo Travel? Sound legit? Barely anything came up in a search of the company, just some listings on business listing sites like Bloomberg.

I have been applying for jobs since June, and only had one interview which I didn't get. Now, I have 3 interviews this week, one of which is with a Congressman I greatly respect. Cray-cray

Two Words

I've been told that applying to multiple internship/full time positions at a company is a major red flag. Basically, if you apply to a lot of position, it can often eliminate you from consideration for all of the positions. The strange thing is, I am seeing big companies in the software engineering industry with many internships that interest me. The same company could have 3 internships available, and I feel like any of those internships would be a great experience for me and something I am interested in. Sure, I may prefer one of those 3 over the others. But nobody should only apply for the single job that they think is the absolute best for them.

What is people's experience with this?

If you tell me most IT jobs are at less common times and offer work-at-home options, then I’ll focus on that field without hesitation.
IT work is interesting. If you start at an MSP (which you no doubt will) then they are often pretty flexible just out of necessity. They are typically less structured than working in corporate. Like clocking in and out isn't really a thing, so you can start early, or work late (your time will be tracked on tickets mostly). Working from home is also an option...but something to keep in mind is that's not always a good thing. For example, I was just working, it's 10:30pm, and I won't be getting any additional pay. I've found they seem to offer the best benefits as well, and additional perks. Where I work we have unlimited PTO for example.

As far as starting from anything other than tier 1, there's not a good chance of that. They want to see how you do, see if everyone can work with you, and also it will be good experience (you may think you know all there is in tier 1 but I promise you do not) That doesn't mean you can't advance though (quickly if you prove yourself)

Kindekuma

Banned
Been applying to places here and there lately, and last Friday I had an interview with a place I'd really love to work for. 15 minutes walking distance from my apartment, great building, nice staff, etc. The interview went exceptionally, did a follow up email thanking the guy for his time and all that. Said it'd be about a week/week and a half before I'd get an answer if I got the job or not.

I'm really hoping that I do, where I currently work now is a nightmarish hell hole in retail. Managers are crazy and borderline abusive, I've been harassed by other co-workers, and it's just not where I want to be.

SOLDIER

IT work is interesting. If you start at an MSP (which you no doubt will) then they are often pretty flexible just out of necessity. They are typically less structured than working in corporate. Like clocking in and out isn't really a thing, so you can start early, or work late (your time will be tracked on tickets mostly). Working from home is also an option...but something to keep in mind is that's not always a good thing. For example, I was just working, it's 10:30pm, and I won't be getting any additional pay. I've found they seem to offer the best benefits as well, and additional perks. Where I work we have unlimited PTO for example.

As far as starting from anything other than tier 1, there's not a good chance of that. They want to see how you do, see if everyone can work with you, and also it will be good experience (you may think you know all there is in tier 1 but I promise you do not) That doesn't mean you can't advance though (quickly if you prove yourself)

Would you say my current job experience (which has Tier 1 help desk qualties...I basically assist other reporters when they’re reporting issues with the hardware, and if the problem is out of my hands I send a ticket request to the Tier 2 team) could help me get something past tier 1? Or will I have to start there no matter what?

I really want a career that’s high in pay and benefits, but isn’t more stressful than the average job. As far as computers go, I basically can’t decide between the IT field or the Software/Programming field. If I could just determine which one suits me, I could finally get the courage to focus on it.

Are there perhaps certificates/knowledge I can earn that would help me get in either field, in case I chose to bounce from one to the other?

Jules

Neo Member
I applied for what I would have considered my dream job a couple months ago, had an amazing interview, then found out on the last night of vacation that I didn't get the job. It was truly heartbreaking. I'll go for it again though!

I live in South GA and when me and my brother graduated from our respected colleges we were going up to Atlanta for what feels like a month straight trying to find jobs. I interviewed with alot of weird start ups that seemed pretty scammy. My brother eventually landed a job at a tech company while I went into management at waffle house. After a year of hardships and putting up with waffle Houses bullshit I finally have an actual shot at a better job. A claims adjuster trainee position just opened up in the town a hour away from me and I applied. Passed the post employment assessment and I had a phone interview last week. Hoping to hear back from the HR person today for a in person interview. Wish me luck gaf.

Also this my first post in this thread but I've been having job problems for a while now.

NandoGip

Reading the conversation about IT certificates, I'm still lost on what I should start with?

A+ ? ITIL? Someone outside of this thread has even suggested "Redhat" certified.

RK9039

Reading the conversation about IT certificates, I'm still lost on what I should start with?

A+ ? ITIL? Someone outside of this thread has even suggested "Redhat" certified.

Get A+ and maybe a Windows cert to start with imo. You only need this to start somewhere as exposing yourself to systems and gaining experience is the main thing.

ITIL is more about IT procedures and learning about best practice -- how an IT department should function basically.

I've been told that applying to multiple internship/full time positions at a company is a major red flag. Basically, if you apply to a lot of position, it can often eliminate you from consideration for all of the positions. The strange thing is, I am seeing big companies in the software engineering industry with many internships that interest me. The same company could have 3 internships available, and I feel like any of those internships would be a great experience for me and something I am interested in. Sure, I may prefer one of those 3 over the others. But nobody should only apply for the single job that they think is the absolute best for them.

What is people's experience with this?
Actually you should apply for the job you want the most. If you're on the interview and you somehow fail, you can broach the subject about asking if you'll fit somewhere else in the organization. It looks like a sign of indecisiveness and you'll look like you lack focus and you don't know what direction you want to take.

I have been applying for jobs since June, and only had one interview which I didn't get. Now, I have 3 interviews this week, one of which is with a Congressman I greatly respect. Cray-cray
Good luck!

Been applying to places here and there lately, and last Friday I had an interview with a place I'd really love to work for. 15 minutes walking distance from my apartment, great building, nice staff, etc. The interview went exceptionally, did a follow up email thanking the guy for his time and all that. Said it'd be about a week/week and a half before I'd get an answer if I got the job or not.

I'm really hoping that I do, where I currently work now is a nightmarish hell hole in retail. Managers are crazy and borderline abusive, I've been harassed by other co-workers, and it's just not where I want to be.
I wish you good luck, I now know the feeling of working somewhere far and it isn't great.

I applied for what I would have considered my dream job a couple months ago, had an amazing interview, then found out on the last night of vacation that I didn't get the job. It was truly heartbreaking. I'll go for it again though!
That's the spirit!

Would companies that are trying to hire, consider freelance work experience as real work experience or sweep under the rug?
If you're on the IT industry then those are huge pluses. Put those on your resume.
I live in South GA and when me and my brother graduated from our respected colleges we were going up to Atlanta for what feels like a month straight trying to find jobs. I interviewed with alot of weird start ups that seemed pretty scammy. My brother eventually landed a job at a tech company while I went into management at waffle house. After a year of hardships and putting up with waffle Houses bullshit I finally have an actual shot at a better job. A claims adjuster trainee position just opened up in the town a hour away from me and I applied. Passed the post employment assessment and I had a phone interview last week. Hoping to hear back from the HR person today for a in person interview. Wish me luck gaf.

Also this my first post in this thread but I've been having job problems for a while now.
Good luck! Hope you hear from them soon.

My interview is in a few weeks and I have to fly to another city for it. I really don’t want to wear my suit on the flight, plus the interview is the next day. Does anyone have any recommendation for those bags that are made for suits? I never had to use one before. Or should have just wear my suit on the flight and iron it again at the hotel? The flight isn't long just a little over an hour.

Meh3D

My interview is in a few weeks and I have to fly to another city for it. I really don’t want to wear my suit on the flight, plus the interview is the next day. Does anyone have any recommendation for those bags that are made for suits? I never had to use one before. Or should have just wear my suit on the flight and iron it again at the hotel? The flight isn't long just a little over an hour.

Just pick up a bag on the cheap and take it on the flight with you. You will still need to touch up the suit at the hotel anyway.

Good luck. If they're flying you for an interview then you're chances are really high for the position.

Just pick up a bag on the cheap and take it on the flight with you. You will still need to touch up the suit at the hotel anyway.

Good luck. If they're flying you for an interview then you're chances are really high for the position.

I just picked up this bag off Amazon, it was $40; if I get selected I’m going to need a decent bag anyways.

911FWX0Nk-L._UX385_.jpg

I’m fairly far along in the hiring process, but there is still a ways to go even if I pass this panel interview and a writing exercise. There aren't a certain amount of positions and I’m not competing with other applicants. So it’s pretty much just on me to pass. I’ve been going over questions and scenarios that might ask me and also just practicing writing. I’m feeling pretty confident in myself.

Two Words

Actually you should apply for the job you want the most. If you're on the interview and you somehow fail, you can broach the subject about asking if you'll fit somewhere else in the organization. It looks like a sign of indecisiveness and you'll look like you lack focus and you don't know what direction you want to take.
How much of this holds for internships? I can see a big company like Apple or Amazon have 2-3 internship positions that seem very interesting to me. They’re all focused in work done by CS majors. But I don’t get why I should be perceived as lacking focus because I’d be willing to work as either a full stack web developer or a iOS developer, for example.

SOLDIER

Get A+ and maybe a Windows cert to start with imo. You only need this to start somewhere as exposing yourself to systems and gaining experience is the main thing.

ITIL is more about IT procedures and learning about best practice -- how an IT department should function basically.

Is there a decent resource that lists all the kinds of IT-related job titles, and what you would typically need for each one?

Maybe reading extensively about the potential jobs and tiers available will finally push me to start learning these things.

But again, I also still can’t decide between the IT field or the programming/development field. Are there certs that can apply to both fields? That way I could at least be learning the things that can help me get my foot in either door.

Bacon

Is there a decent resource that lists all the kinds of IT-related job titles, and what you would typically need for each one?

Maybe reading extensively about the potential jobs and tiers available will finally push me to start learning these things.

But again, I also still can’t decide between the IT field or the programming/development field. Are there certs that can apply to both fields? That way I could at least be learning the things that can help me get my foot in either door.

Certs are going to apply mainly for IT work. If you want to dip your toes into software development there is an abundance of online resources out there to see if you are into it. If you are, then you are more than likely going to want to get a degree in computer science if you want to go down that road.

SOLDIER

Certs are going to apply mainly for IT work. If you want to dip your toes into software development there is an abundance of online resources out there to see if you are into it. If you are, then you are more than likely going to want to get a degree in computer science if you want to go down that road.

Unless it can all be done online, I really would rather not enroll in school again. It just feels like my precious degree would have been a waste (criminal justice)...though I’ve already felt that way for a while.

I guess I’ll just boil it down to the most crucial bits: which field pays more, has more openings and more job security?

Somewhat job related issue, but my day job essentially had me working the jobs of three people for the past six months. While I was doing two of the jobs well, the third part of it was becoming a nightmare.

Essentially, my boss called me in and let me know they'll be hiring a person to handle that full time. While this is a blessing in some respects (as it means I don't have to hop on a plane every two weeks like I was doing), it also leaves me feeling a little uneasy in that it makes them think I couldn't handle the added responsibility, which honestly I couldn't. I also feel a little taken advantage of as I feel like they're doing this right before evaluations so they won't have to give me the raise I deserve.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I was hired to do the one job that I really liked but they kept slamming me with additional responsibilities to the point where I just couldn't manage the workload.

I just received an 18% raise. Admittedly, I was/am kind of under paid for Southern California. I posted this not to brag, but to give some of you inspiration. Three years ago, I was making minimum wage at Panera Bread. Two years ago, I had just quit my first IT job so that I wouldn't lose it and get fired for going off on someone. I still have my CCNA to pass in December, so the future is looking bright. Keep your heads up people! I'm a fucking high school and college drop out. I didn't get my first full time job until I was 32. If I can make it, you can too!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Another interview, another rejection.

Thinking of the bullet again.

Question, how do I go about getting certifications?

gazele

Banned
Another interview, another rejection.

Thinking of the bullet again.

Question, how do I go about getting certifications?

Don't give up, I know I and many others have been right where you are, just have to take it one day at a time, everyone does poorly on some interviews, it's okay

Top Bottom