• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

kehs

Banned
I couldn't find a disable option anywhere in the app and my google-fu only turned up other people complaining about the same thing. :(

Already committed to tasker now even though llama met all my needs.
(Assuming you meant to quote the llama post)

Menu > Settings > Notification Mode > No Notification

Maybe we're talking about different things?

Hey GAF, do you have any good alternative to the stock webmail client on Android ? I tested K9 Mail but it was a battery-draining mess even when finely tuned (like Automatic updating every 3 hours), so I quickly uninstalled it.

Likewise, what do you think of Tasker ? What of its resource usage ?

reKon

Banned
I guess that I'll be using Swype exclusively for this forum because for some reason voce to text isn't working properly here using the stock android keyboard. Also there seems to be no autocorrect either... I've typed out all of this using Swype and way faster. I'll probably stick to the stock keyboard for texting/messaging because it's still amazing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I saw RJ post this awhile ago. I can't believe I missed any.do. I'll have to comb through this list a little more carefully.

Any.do doesn't show up in the widget section on ics 4.02. Also I tried to install swype, but it says that the screen size is not supported yet. Can't wait until this, hbo go, and nfl mobile get proper support. Im going to miss out on nfl mobile I bet. The update will probably come right after the superbowl

Any.do widgets show up on my Galaxy Nexus LTE ICS.

reKon

Banned
As far as I know it's always been activated by swiping from outside the screen onto the screen. Even in honeycomb.

Haven't used it myself, but I hear Ubermusic is pretty awesome.

For Ice cream Sandwich it's activated by putting your finger at the edge of the screen (i'm on 4.0.2 with the lte nexus. I'm still curious on why swype and the voice to text that's with it works well on these forums but the stock android keyboard and its voice to text doesn't work well at all...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
For Ice cream Sandwich it's activated by putting your finger at the edge of the screen (i'm on 4.0.2 with the lte nexus. I'm still curious on why swype and the voice to text that's with it works well on these forums but the stock android keyboard and its voice to text doesn't work well at all...

Actually it's still sliding from the edge in ICS. Check the labs description in settings.

I saw RJ post this awhile ago. I can't believe I missed any.do. I'll have to comb through this list a little more carefully.

Any.do widgets show up on my Galaxy Nexus LTE ICS.

Could any.do require any more permissions? I really wish you could opt in to certain permissions on apts, maybe for example if I want the text message sending functionality I opt in and it takes me to a free in-app purchase.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How do you get any.do to repeat tasks (e.g., daily)? Edit seems to allow you to change only the name of the task.

Lkr

as much as i love swype on a phone, i don't think it is that great on a tablet in regards to speed. still better than the regular keyboard though

MrBig

as much as i love swype on a phone, i don't think it is that great on a tablet in regards to speed. still better than the regular keyboard though

Split keyboards work best for tablets. I like Thumb Keyboard because of its options, charset, and macros. Swiftkey Tablet X is also good and a lot of people like its adaptive text prediction.

voodooray

Using Swype in landscape mode on a 4.3" screen is a chore, but a joy in portrait. I can only imagine what it must feel like on tablet dimensions! Stick a thumb sized rag under there which should at least keep the screen clean at the same time.

reKon

Banned
Holy shit, AirDroid and and Chrome to Droid are incredible. Make sure you download these, no joke... They are extremely easy to setup and work flawlessly. I only did AirDroid so I could wirelessly transfer my video files straight from my chrome browser which I use all the time, to my phone. I had no idea how clean and organized everything is... So far the only bad thing about this is that the file transfer is a little slow. The are also great features like the ability to text people right from your chrome browser as you have access to all of your contacts. I was just notified that my battery was at 20%... boss

SimleuqiR

The official XBMC remote app just got update to work properly with ICS , that and some other improvements. Fucking-A!!!

PVnLP1aL4kpqwDQ_NgwBnvH_E5CZGwtuVNKfQXCmf1J3QSnyhAXa53mUXCXbK-SC5pf5

ZwghpS2N58RFSuRTFNYmo2rJCr8uvMOkEkh5Xp_o1BRoFY2j8AtWV_lkhORi0ome7g

5u0x-2v2EITxFIK5HG90NRQBAwL6cDG21Iku7MbMbypIVIvY9lhGdx4LQvxv_L6onMs

kehs

Banned
Anyone using a separate alarm app? I don't really have a set time to wake up, but I have various alarms, so if I get up at say 7....my 9 alarm will go off in the middle of whatever I'm doing at 9. The default alarm doesn't have a quick "turn off til tomorrow" thing.

Holy shit, AirDroid and and Chrome to Droid are incredible. Make sure you download these, no joke... They are extremely easy to setup and work flawlessly. I only did AirDroid so I could wirelessly transfer my video files straight from my chrome browser which I use all the time, to my phone. I had no idea how clean and organized everything is... So far the only bad thing about this is that the file transfer is a little slow. The are also great features like the ability to text people right from your chrome browser as you have access to all of your contacts. I was just notified that my battery was at 20%... boss

As long as you're recommending those two apps, I'll throw in phone to chrome(will need dropbox to make this work).

(Assuming you meant to quote the llama post)

Menu > Settings > Notification Mode > No Notification

Maybe we're talking about different things?

Just reinstalled and tried that.

Yeah...I must have been drunk when I tried to disable it last time. Thanks. This gives me a backup plan if tasker winds up pissing me off.

DAYYUMM

I just tried Power Amp and the Equalizer is beastly. I'm starting to regret recently buying a sansa clip+.

The only thing I hate is the ugly default album art, not even some nice stock pictures. The album art retrieval feature is laughable when you're music is Mexican.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there any Google Reader that has a Read It Later plugin?

sun-drop

https://market.android.com/details?...wxLDEsImNvbS5zdWNoYWdpdC5hbmRyb2lkMmNsb3VkIl0.

works the other way ... chrome plug in lets you beam pages open on yr phone, to yr pc ..

edit, sorry my bad, read yr post as chrome to phone

equap

Banned
Also the AirDroid app is... awesome
it is great, but it can't transfer large files for some reason. :(

also, anybody know of an app that will let me know who is connected to my phone's hotspot? and maybe even kick them of my network?

Can anyone recommend a touchpad/remote mouse app that allows clicking and dragging without a trackball? I was using Gmote, but since I moved from my HTC Desire to the Xperia Play I can't click and drag anymore.

Anyone using a separate alarm app? I don't really have a set time to wake up, but I have various alarms, so if I get up at say 7....my 9 alarm will go off in the middle of whatever I'm doing at 9. The default alarm doesn't have a quick "turn off til tomorrow" thing.
If you have an alarm set for (for example) Monday - Friday, and you dismiss it, it will be turned off till the next day.

I'm not really sure of the functionality you're looking for, though.

voodooray

Try gentle alarm. It was one of the first apps I bought and is great for shifting scheduled alarms like this.

Threi

notag
I dont get it. It simply says if you want preferences to hold the button.

Well it's supposed to show a hidden keyboard layout for text editing if you do it right (also swiping from the swype key to "F" reveals a hidden numpad layout (holding the symbol key does the same thing)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well it's supposed to show a hidden keyboard layout for text editing if you do it right (also swiping from the swype key to "F" reveals a hidden numpad layout (holding the symbol key does the same thing)

I dont think its hidden. When I press the symbol key it rotates through the 3 screens. Letters, then numbers with symbols, then the numpad/directional buttons one.
And mine does pop up the numpad screen when I drag from swype to the third key, not the one next door. Its cool though, the nupad screen is not something I have seen before.
Swype needs some color themes and some options to hide some buttons like swiftkey though. My only gripe.

New app to add to the OP:

Tivo app. It is fantastic. You can do everything for your Tivo from your phone or 7 inch tablet. Everything from browse the guide, search for stuff and manage passes, to hitting play on something recorded or pause the show you are watching. It is glorious.

Any fellow Canadians reading this thread, I highly recommend you grab the Google currents apk from the op. I can't believe something this pretty and intuitive came from Google.

Unrelated note: I need a phone call recorder for when I have to deal with businesses/customer service. Can anyone recommend a good one which works on ICS? I've tried a couple but neither one worked.

Top Bottom