• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge Plus: Ode To An Unborn Star |OT| Humanity's Last Stand

Goddamit, so all the videos got taken down?

So what, is the Ciel nosurge story necessary for Ar nosurge or not? I know it's not technically necessary, but if I'm going to spend much of Ar nosurge confused or oblivious because this translation no longer exists, then that's pretty unfortunate. (Not blaming the translator, they're obviously quite free to do what they want and if they felt they were being unfairly criticized for volunteer work, fair enough.)

Hastati

Wow I bought this for some impulsive reason and didn't understand that it was a direct sequel to something.

Edit: The translator's work there is really amazing, sad that he/she got so much shit from stupid people.
Might as well just make my way through Ciel and use this as a confirmation for events and stuff. Thanks a lot for this informative OT!!

That being said, between Offline and RE:Incarnation which is recommended?

Goddamit, so all the videos got taken down?

So what, is the Ciel nosurge story necessary for Ar nosurge or not? I know it's not technically necessary, but if I'm going to spend much of Ar nosurge confused or oblivious because this translation no longer exists, then that's pretty unfortunate. (Not blaming the translator, they're obviously quite free to do what they want and if they felt they were being unfairly criticized for volunteer work, fair enough.)

It's a direct sequel, you can play Ar without it but all the backstory is in Ciel.

kiryogi

Banned
Wow I bought this for some impulsive reason and didn't understand that it was a direct sequel to something.

Edit: The translator's work there is really amazing, sad that he/she got so much shit from stupid people.
Might as well just make my way through Ciel and use this as a confirmation for events and stuff. Thanks a lot for this informative OT!!

That being said, between Offline and RE:Incarnation which is recommended?

Crap from folks here too. This is why we can't have good things.

Offline, all the way.

ys45

Oh damn it ....

So if I understand the situation correctly some people bitched about his translation quality (or made fun of it) and he decided to take everything down ?

koutoru

I'm literally finishing up some of the post game chapters this week.
I feel lucky I got to read these while they're available.

Vylash

The Ciel story write up will be removed as I'm completely uninterested in the opinions of others, the ridiculous propositions, and inane comments that it generates. The idea was to share a story that I felt a deep attachment to with a community that might not be able to access it otherwise. Instead it was treated as a required homework by some in order to enjoy Ar, and as an avenue for a strange kind of superiority flexing by others who think that knowing some Japanese makes them special.

i see the bad parts of the kiseki fanbase got to him, really sucks and i hope his work gets archived

Yasumi

Banned
Someone needs to make a really nice PDF out of Ciel. I'm going through it right now, but that would make it way more readable.

JJP12

I'm very thankful for his efforts. I thought he did a great job with the translation. He gave me hours upon hours of entertainment. Hopefully everyone that was interested can finish it while they have a chance. Ar nosurge plus has been a joy to play so far.

kiryogi

Banned
What's the difference? Offline is much more expensive.

Offline includes new gameplay features like being able to fast forward time whenever you'd like provided you have the energy for it. That alone is a game changer. . . Otherwise you'd spend at least a year playing Reincarnation. XD Or 6 months. Ciel was originally 2 years, but that was due to content being released every couple of months. But Ciel also ran in real time. so it'd take Ion from hours to days to finish crafting. Or it'd also take you hours/days to finish repairing a certain memory.

Besides that, it has new events/costumes. More interaction options with Ion.

kiryogi

Banned
With the videos unavailable are the text still mostly understandable?

Btw, this is maximum crap, making fun of people enormous work that they do for free.

Absolutely, the videos were something he only started doing recently. He did have videos of the major song events and etc. But the summary provided described enough to get a good grasp of each chapter.

I want to know who the fuck made fun of his work, it's amazing and this makes me so mad.

Btw, this is maximum crap, making fun of people enormous work that they do for free.

yes, the text is amazing!

I made a full offline backup of the summary website.

Should I host it somewhere? Or respect his wishes and let it die? For now I can send a Google drive link to anyone who wants it, just PM me.

EDIT: Going to bed now, I'll reply tomorrow and/or maybe just host it publicly somewhere, unless someone thinks that's a bad idea.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

ys45

Why can't he just ignore them and keep working on it ?
Pretty sure a lot more people are appreciating his work than the people bitching about it .

kiryogi

Banned
Pretty sure a lot more people are appreciating his work than the people bitching about it .

Could be various reasons, but it's best left that it ultimately has led to the video series ending and the eventual closure of the indepth Ciel nosurge summary.

Shengar

People have different stroke of egos and sensitivity . It would ve fortunate if he one of the people who don't give a fuck on what he did since it still benefitted people at large. But clearly he believes that what he did is something good yet other people make ridicule of his effort that he done for free. I think his work still warrant for criticism even when do it for free, but always extremely disliking insults and ridicule that masked as one.

Well I better read it soon.

SephLuis

Someone needs to make a really nice PDF out of Ciel. I'm going through it right now, but that would make it way more readable.

I agree with this. A PDF version would be great.

I made a full offline backup of the summary website.

Should I host it somewhere? Or respect his wishes and let it die? For now I can send a Google drive link to anyone who wants it, just PM me.

EDIT: Going to bed now, I'll reply tomorrow and/or maybe just host it publicly somewhere, unless someone thinks that's a bad idea.

I think you should save and host it, the complete version.

His translation is great and it helps a lot of people to get more attached to the universe before trying Ar nosurge.

If there was another translation, this would not be necessary. Even if it goes against his wishes, I think it is even worse to see Ciel fading in obscurity.

Hesitated to mention this in case they get pulled down for real, but: turns out the videos have just been delisted, not removed. They're still accessible from the links in the text summaries.

kiryogi

Banned
Hesitated to mention this in case they get pulled down for real, but: turns out the videos have just been delisted, not removed. They're still accessible from the links in the text summaries.

Yup, I've been personally archiving the site and all the videos as we speak. I also hesitated personally too in case. But I'm done with grabbing it all now.

My poor desktop. . .XD

kptVS13.jpg

Hastati

Yup, I've been personally archiving the site and all the videos as we speak. I also hesitated personally too in case. But I'm done with grabbing it all now.

My poor desktop. . .XD

There are soooo many videos!!! Holy crap, how much work has this translator done? By all means, preserve this stuff!!!

There are soooo many videos!!! Holy crap, how much work has this translator done? By all means, preserve this stuff!!!

82 in total, which ends partially through chapter 5. I also grabbed all the videos, but only the 360p webm files because of the plugin I'm using, so it someone got the 480p versions all the better.

Shizuka

I'm glad to see VGP+ and Play-Asia still have the limited edition in stock, that must be better than the NISA Europe Online Store selling those at a premium price with a weird currency conversion.

Why are we being coy about backups of public internet pages?

Because the person who made it has a reason for taking it down and while I think it's a shame, I'm not willing to share it anymore after that. Also as I said there is a bandwidth limit so I'm hiding it for NeoGAF members.

So far it's just me that's hosting this so if anyone else feels differently about it feel free to take my backup and host it publicly somewhere else.

I'm glad to see VGP+ and Play-Asia still have the limited edition in stock, that must be better than the NISA Europe Online Store selling those at a premium price with a weird currency conversion.

I'm beginning to wonder if these two ordering it in large quantities is why the stock went down so rapidly in the last week or so.

OT: Gutted about the Ciel summary - I guess I'll have to speed up on reading it then!

I'm beginning to wonder if these two ordering it in large quantities is why the stock went down so rapidly in the last week or so.

OT: Gutted about the Ciel summary - I guess I'll have to speed up on reading it then!

Considering how much VGP kept mentioning that they'll have very limited stock I expected them to get like 20 copies lol. It's oos again as I'm typing this but at this point everybody should have had time to get one.

It's crazy that they're basically able to offer it at the same price as the NISA store with cheap worldwide shipping as well. Makes the NISA EU store look even more like a joke

I considered waiting for the video project to be finished before starting Ar because I love how it's made, but I guess I'll just read the summaries now :/

It's crazy that they're basically able to offer it at the same price as the NISA store with cheap worldwide shipping as well. Makes the NISA EU store look even more like a joke

Yeah, I was incredibly shocked.

I was planning on buying from NISA directly and shipping to a friend in the USA who would ship to me, but I waited, and honestly I'm really glad I did because the price I got it for from VG+ was a steal.

Never used them before either. Likely will again in future as a result of this.

Here is a survey from Koei Tecmo America about the game, you can tell them what you liked and disliked about the game and even ask for more
Vita
games.

I'm actually glad to be able to provide feedback on this game. I like what they did with it but there are also some things I really felt I needed to point out and that I hope will be improved in the future.
They seem to be reading this thread but giving more feedback can't hurt.

kiryogi

Banned
How big is the size of each individual video?

Small as 30, as much as 70? Not bad at all. 3 gigs altogether.

Also in regards to mirroring, I'm trying to ask for permission out of respect, but if I don't get any response. I'll have a mirror up of my own hosting after it goes down in August.

Dunan

What's the difference? Offline is much more expensive.

Offline includes new gameplay features like being able to fast forward time whenever you'd like provided you have the energy for it. That alone is a game changer. . . Otherwise you'd spend at least a year playing Reincarnation. XD Or 6 months. Ciel was originally 2 years, but that was due to content being released every couple of months. But Ciel also ran in real time. so it'd take Ion from hours to days to finish crafting. Or it'd also take you hours/days to finish repairing a certain memory.

Besides that, it has new events/costumes. More interaction options with Ion.

^ Everything Kiryogi just said.

The original Ciel Nosurge was a tiny base game supplemented by a ton of serialized DLC. To buy the whole story now that way would cost a pile of money.

Offline is the perfect version for someone whose primary Vita PSN account is not in Japan: you can do everything without ever connecting to the PSN, so you can do it all on your primary non-Japanese account. (You might want to use a Japanese account anyway, though, because there are voice packs to download, if that's your thing. If you're content to hear some, but not every line, of the dialogue out loud, you don't need to get those.)

If you want to do the final (hidden) chapter, you will absolutely want to be able to speed up time to your heart's content, as you can with Offline. It would literally take months to craft all the stuff you need to have Ion craft if you want to get to that chapter.

And send me a PM if you want to buy Ciel; I played through the whole thing, including the bonus chapter (save files there and before it), and won't be using mine for a long time. It's really a fantastic experience. The music alone is worth the price of admission.

macklelol

Got the platinum trophy. This game is still great, even if the performance is rough at times in this version.

Some spoilers/question about costumes (late Phase 3):
I got the Ar Tonelico 1 costumes after getting the Shurelia ending, is there any more to get? I'm thinking no, since the only thing I'm missing from in the model viewer is Cass' purification outfit.

K.Sabot

>_> I'm really gonna need to archive that Ciel nosurge story summary before it goes offline now...

edit: oh someone doing it? yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

fedexpeon

Banned
How do you guys play this game? Any general tips to improve the enjoyment of the game?
I always fall asleep from the awful dialogs and battle system. The combat serves no purpose due to the OHKO and zone wipe mechanic.
And man, I have played worse JRPG before but somehow...this is a snoozefest of a game.

This game would probably be better as a VN.

aravuus

And man, I have played worse JRPG before but somehow...this is a snoozefest of a game.

Kinda feeling the same. I decided to just drop the game for now and pick it up again when I feel like starting a new JRPG.

At least playing a bit of Ar Nosurge somehow pushed me to give Fallout 2 yet another try and it finally clicked, so I guess something good has already come out of it lol

kiryogi

Banned
How do you guys play this game? Any general tips to improve the enjoyment of the game?
I always fall asleep from the awful dialogs and battle system. The combat serves no purpose due to the OHKO and zone wipe mechanic.

Kinda curious, are you playing this on normal?

Don't play on normal.

Top Bottom