• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge Plus: Ode To An Unborn Star |OT| Humanity's Last Stand

kiryogi

Banned
On Vet, the game will kick your ass, there's an eventual leap in difficulty that does tend to even hinder normal players.

I was able to choose vet from the start, fwiw. Five hours in and I haven't been able to charge up a song to clear the entire waves of enemies. Generally only able to wipe out two or three waves before turn ends.

Play in Vet, even if there's a boss that will probably destroy you if you do, just change it back to Normal when that happens.

I think hard is the sweet spot, normal battles drag too much on Vet imo. Some bosses might still destroy you on hard though, just switch to normal for the boss fight if you feel it's too much.

Shizuka

Trophies are finally english on PSNProfiles, now I can keep track of the ones I have left. Just started Phase 3 today.

My copy finally arrived today... when I wasn't in. Now I have to make it to the Post Office's really crappy hours to pick it up.

Oh well. It'll be worth it!

JPS Kai

I dunno why, but this one just isn't capturing my attention. I'm getting up to where Ion meets
Kanon
but I just can't seem to want to keep going.

fedexpeon

Banned
Play in Vet, even if there's a boss that will probably destroy you if you do, just change it back to Normal when that happens.

Yes, I am playing on normal and just hitting the correct lines+song music KO.
If I play on vet...Won't I get even more bored due to lack of exploration and pacing?
I don't see how the combat system will change at all since I will do the same except I will need to go into battle 3 times instead of 1 to wipe out the map.

macklelol

I think a lot of the issues people are having is due to Phase 1 being kinda slow. Not that much really happens here, and a lot of your combat abilities will be unavailable until you level up some more.

If I play on vet...Won't I get even more bored due to lack of exploration and pacing?
I don't see how the combat system will change at all since I will do the same except I will need to go into battle 3 times instead of 1 to wipe out the map.

So what is your exact issue with the combat? You just don't like how song magic clears the entire field?

JJP12

Does anyone know what determines your rank after a battle? I always end up with a B. I think I got an A once while playing as Earthes but it didn't really feel like I did anything different.

kiryogi

Banned

Hard/Vet are a world of difference from normal.

You will be forced to level up, craft and stock items and be actually strategic about how you approach battles, especially boss battles. Normal is a absolute cake walk, hard/vet will make you cry.

I think a lot of the issues people are having is due to Phase 1 being kinda slow. Not that much really happens here, and a lot of your combat abilities will be unavailable until you level up some more.

So what is your exact issue with the combat? You just don't like how song magic clears the entire field?

I've heard this before too, kinda funny as it's kinda of laid out like that so new players could approach it, but really things only start picking up once you meet Ion, which is right where Ciel leaves you off at.

Shizuka

Does anyone know what determines your rank after a battle? I always end up with a B. I think I got an A once while playing as Earthes but it didn't really feel like I did anything different.

Only activate the song once it's charged as "100%".

Shizuka

I did not. Still holding out hope to see it get localized.

That explains part of your issue. I've read it and I can tell that without the background for what's going on, it'll be harder and the characters and the setting will take longer to grab you. I'm sinking at least three hours a day into the game, playing it whenever I can, because it's a direct sequel to Ciel nosurge's cliffhanger, but without that, I'm not quite sure I'd be as devoted.

What I mean is, it's not getting localized. All signs point to it. Koei Tecmo rereleased the game with all chapters with the "Offline" version, released alongside Ar nosurge Plus in Japan. Koei Tecmo won't publish a Vita-only title in the West and Gust is too busy with Sophie and No Night to port a two years old game to other platforms, not to mention that the gameplay itself is something the West is not "used to".

After I was done reading it, I wish Ciel nosurge was a straight-up visual novel, even if the gameplay itself is part of the game and adapting it to a visual novel could create a few loose ends.

kiryogi

Banned
I did not. Still holding out hope to see it get localized.

From the Ciel nosurge summary site. . .
Just to clarify:

No, this never was or could be a translation guide.
No, this was never going to help KT or anyone else localize Ciel.
No, Ciel will never be localized. It's written in stone, get over it.
No, removing this will not improve chances of localization, get over it.
Yes, if you think you can do a better job, step up.

Briarios

So, the game is $20.99 on Amazon right now ... And, even reading the thread, I'm not sure it's worth it since we didn't get the predecessor. How is the story having not played Ciel? Is it strong enough to carry the game?

So, the game is $20.99 on Amazon right now ... And, even reading the thread, I'm not sure it's worth it since we didn't get the predecessor. How is the story having not played Ciel? Is it strong enough to carry the game?

If you've read the thread you know that you should absolutely read Ciel first. The story is interesting imo but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

kiryogi

Banned
So, I got a mirror up now in response to the new take down date:

http://ciel.nosurge.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary.html

Still working out the quirks, let me know if something's dead or not working.
And depending on what happens to the video series, I will work on mirror that as well. But in the mean time, here's hoping he leaves the videos alone at least.

Also looking into if it's possible to shorten that url lol. A friend in web development is helping me with this so.

Not exactly an inside source. But yeah, it's not going to get localized.

Oh I know, just trying to paint a picture of the reality of Ciel coming to America. Ain't happenin D:

http://ciel.nosurge.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary.html

And depending on what happens to the video series, I will work on mirror that as well. But in the mean time, here's hoping he leaves the videos alone at least.

Also looking into if it's possible to shorten that url lol. A friend in web development is helping me with this so.

Thanks for this. Only about halfway through Chapter 1 due to summer classes so there's no chance I'll have read this by July 31st.

Oh I know, just trying to paint a picture of the reality of Ciel coming to America. Ain't happenin D:

That's great, thanks.

The "The True End of Ciel nosurge" still links to the original site though. That happened in my backup as well for some reason

aravuus

Glad to see he came to his (her?) senses. Also I definitely have some new found respect for blackraen for this
Fuck all you second year Japanese students that are mad I'm not pushing out -chan and -sama like a fucking machine translator

Haha. I've always hated the honorifics bullshit in translations/localisations. It always feels clunky and pandering to weebs. If the writing/dialogue isn't good enough to convey character relationships through anything else than honorifics, the relationships clearly don't matter much.

e: there are exceptions, of course, like Persona. It actually takes place in modern Japan so it at least makes a bit more sense to have the honorifics in translation too. I still hate them, though.

And while I agree that the writing of the summaries isn't perfect, the subtitles on the video project are fantastic and everybody who complained about them is a dick.

I'm sure it's a lot better than the summary, shame s/he just hasn't had the time to finish turning the rest of the game into videos. Maybe some day.

Busaiku

Augh, so much of the impact is lost, since we can't play it ourselves.
Like this doesn't even make sense to me (like that other famous game), since we have no idea what's going on prior.

Picked up my copy from the post office today

9263_10206995867076427_7495205321023194192_n.jpg

Surprised how small it is. But I'm just happy to have that glorious physical copy.

Will pop it in tonight and give it a go to see how the quality of the port is. It ran poorly on PS3 though so I don't hold out much hope.

Shizuka

I have so many comments for this game, but I don't want to double-post and people aren't talking about the game anymore.

Up to the second half of Phase 3 spoilers here:

Ion/Earthes:
it's nice how they break the fourth wall and let you know that *you* are Earthes, which makes sense since that's what/who you are in Ciel nosurge. Nice to know that they're also from Earth, I didn't think they'd link the story to our planet like that.

Delta/Cass:
weird that after Ciel nosurge showing that Cass stole the Sharl drug, Sarly was the one that injected her with it. It doesn't make any sense and Cass is barely mad at Sarly for that, specially since the drug can potentially kill people even though the game doesn't show anyone dying from it.

Prim/Nelo:
nice games don't even hint at the thought of killing bad guys. Really, I must be a really twisted person for wanting to kill those two throughout the entire game (and even Ciel nosurge), even though I'm still on the second half of Phase 3. I know Prim is being manipulated, but I'd have killed her long ago.

Renall:
the least consistent background for a character in Ar nosurge. I'd rather know that she stayed dead for the game, she serves no purpose whatsoever, not compared to her role in Ciel nosurge.

Professor Leolm:
we already knew it was Shirotaka all along, from reading the Ciel nosurge summary. His purpose is also really thin, it's like they tried to pull some twists with bringing these presumed dead characters back to the story, but they don't make a difference.

Pram and Delta's mother:
it's like they never existed in the first place. Shirotaka lost a brother and Delta lost his mother, but even when he gets his memories back, it's like she never made a difference.

Undou:
how did he get his body back after being merged with Nelo?

Nay:
did they really change her english VA during the story? That's major and really sloppy.

So far, I'm enjoying the game a lot, even though for a game that focuses on the story, there are a lot of loose ends and directions that are lost in the narrative. At least the synthesis convos are amazing, I could spend hours just reading those (which I did, in order to get all those trophies).

kiryogi:
isn't Renall the Tenmon's head in Ciel nosurge? Wasn't Ion (Nay before the split) the princess, Imperial candidate, wouldn't she be the daughter of the head guy as well? If Nay's the princess and not the daughter of the Tenmon's head, what makes her a princess? Who are her parents?

What are the differences between the ps3 and vita versions?
There is a sale on the ps3 version,and I'm wondering whether I should get it or wait for a sale on the vita version

kiryogi

Banned
What are the differences between the ps3 and vita versions?
There is a sale on the ps3 version,and I'm wondering whether I should get it or wait for a sale on the vita version

Costumes/extra dialogue. Please see OP. You really should just get the PS3 version while it's on sale.

I have so many comments for this game, but I don't want to double-post and people aren't talking about the game anymore.

Up to the second half of Phase 3 spoilers here:

kiryogi:
isn't Renall the Tenmon's head in Ciel nosurge? Wasn't Ion (Nay before the split) the princess, Imperial candidate, wouldn't she be the daughter of the head guy as well? If Nay's the princess and not the daughter of the Tenmon's head, what makes her a princess? Who are her parents?

She is at the end of Ciel yes. In regards to Nay's parents, I don't think they really ever shed any light on it nor the lineage and royalty. I admit, I am stumped on this one on her lineage, but it's a definite that he wasn't Revelt's daughter, only Renall was. Check on A Reyvateil's Melody maybe?

kiryogi

Banned
Oh my goodness on further clarifacation from the Drama Cds (And hints during Ciel itself) thanks to Aquagon.

Nay is indeed his daughter. . .Nay's parents are Revelt and the previous empress. So Renall and Nay are half sisters. Well this just got more fucked up.

Yeah people, for the love of GOD go through the Ciel synopsis first lol Nearly all of the twists and dramatic reveals work only if you understand the full picture of the characters lol

Shizuka

Oh my goodness on further clarifacation from the Drama Cds (And hints during Ciel itself) thanks to Aquagon.

Nay is indeed his daughter. . .Nay's parents are Revelt and the previous empress. So Renall and Nay are half sisters. Well this just got more fucked up.

Wow, Nay's the daughter of the previous Empress? Now that's even more fucked up, how did she let her daughter lose her body to Yuuki Nei and then take Yuuki become the Empress? How didn't Renall not protect her sister and just let her die? Weird, weird.

kiryogi

Banned
Wow, Nay's the daughter of the previous Empress? Now that's even more fucked up, how did she let her daughter lose her body to Yuuki Nei and then take Yuuki become the Empress? How didn't Renall not protect her sister and just let her die? Weird, weird.
the Empress might have felt it was for the greater good. Meanwhile Renall was powerless to stand against Revelt. Especially after seeing Fractle getting killed for trying to save Nay's soul. Only at the end with the coup dtat was Renall finally able to help her. Another thing to note, Revelt never acknowledged Nay (who's the second daughter) as his daughter ever. Recall too how strained things were between Renall. And Revelt. The whole genomirai panic incident really did drive him off the deep end.

SeZMehK

I would like to get this game but I am trying to see if someone is selling a physical copy of just the game on ebay. Don't care for the extra stuff... >.>

Yasumi

Banned
Finally got through Ciel Nosurge's story, things now make a little more sense. I went with the pastebin, which I finished in like half an hour. So good. I'm partway through phase 1 in Ar, looking forward to seeing how things develop now.

Vargavinter

I just got a VITA and I'm trying to decide if i should get this or not. Since I want physical games its fairly expensive to import it to Europe, don't know if its worth the money for one game or if i should use the money to build a basic library before going after the more expensive games.

I just got a VITA and I'm trying to decide if i should get this or not. Since I want physical games its fairly expensive to import it to Europe, don't know if its worth the money for one game or if i should use the money to build a basic library before going after the more expensive games.

The physical copy will only get more expensive with time since it's very limited, but you'll be able to pick up a digital one at some point for much cheaper.

So unless you HAVE to have this game on a cart I'd build a library of a few cheaper titles first.

Top Bottom