• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami |OT| Check Your Stealth Before You Wreck Your Stealth

SomTervo

Top of page...

Its kinda easy to ghost levels, well the first 6 any way. I find having to kill everyone a little more challenging so I'm doing that.

Despite some jank I'm really enjoying it.

The later levels get harder.

Also remember to define 'jank'. 'Jank' as a catch-all helps no-one.

Not to get into it but it's expensive given wages here but a PS+ discount would have had me on this.

Fair enough. Goddamn, Caneda. Canada. Kaneda.

I played it for an hour. The performance is excellent from my experience. But I am using a GTX 1080. I watched a Steam broadcast earlier of someone playing it, and the person was having some performance issues as well. I am not sure what is the cause of it, but the developer is looking into it.

That was my experience, also with a 1080. Ran really well, despite pre-release bugs.

AHA-Lambda

Finished first 5 levels, quite enjoying it so far.

I found level 5 to be a big step up in the difficulty personally, but it didn't help I glitched on picking up the talisman, then died and the item didn't respawn, forcing me to restart the level >_>

Finished the campaign. What I like about Aragami is that you're not forced to use abilities to make it through the game - I didn't unlock or upgrade anything past being able to dissolve bodies - with how the levels are usually open-ended enough to allow for multiple ways to approach enemies if you're observant. Alternate paths or 'hidden' nooks and crannies to help overcome / avoid a certain number of enemies if you keep an eye out for this sort of advantage. Wasn't too big of a fan of the (midway spoilers)
boss fights
however; usually solid enough conceptually, but the
first general
had me a little confused since
you could only attack from the high-ground for the second strike (making me think the backstab was bugged) and the second general (the archer)
felt rather strict with how little time you had to
move while avoiding being detected by other mooks past the first phase
. Certainly the biggest difficulty spike in the game for me. Last one was fine.

Certainly enjoyed it for what it was though and I appreciate that it stuck to its guns regarding stealth gameplay. Fundamentally sound title that I'd like to see expanded upon in the future.

I've seen some worry about the performance of the game, even on PC, so I was a little hesitant to purchase. But I did it anyway and after playing the first few chapters I'm happy to report it is running like a dream (gtx 780 here)

Game is fun as hell too, very enjoyable to play on mouse and keyboard as well, shadow hopping is so fast

Really enjoying the game, but none of my achievements are popping.
Edit: I uninstalled the game, deleted the Aragami folder from the steamapps directory, and cleared my Steam cache. Seemed to do the trick.

Moff

Is there any downside to the shadow kill?
Why would I use the usual kill ever again after I unlocked it?

Soodanim

Great job on the OP Wozman23, you put the red to good use! Looks great in the dark theme on mobile.

I'm going to buy and install this morning before I go out, then spend my afternoon playing it. It's nice to see a project like this get the release it deserves.

How does it plays in PS4? (performance, loadings, etc)

As soon as I'm done with transformers (ps plus) I think I'll jump on this one, it looks really neat.

Zafir

Is there any downside to the shadow kill?
Why would I use the usual kill ever again after I unlocked it?

It has a long wind up, so you might get spotted while doing it in the later levels where guards are crawling everywhere.

That said, my friend and I think it's a bit over powered either way since you get a charge of your 'special move' back from it also.

Soodanim

Is it just me or are the analog sensitivity settings broken? They don't seem to do anything for me. Otherwise, I'm maxing out my 970 at about 100fps most of the time and it's pretty nice. Not 100% smooth but the game is great so far. I don't know whether to continue going for max kills in this first run or whether to just go through and enjoy it.

I think I'm going to enjoy going for perfect stealth timed runs.

Moff

It has a long wind up, so you might get spotted while doing it in the later levels where guards are crawling everywhere.

That said, my friend and I think it's a bit over powered either way since you get a charge of your 'special move' back from it also.
Yeah but you need to let bodies disappear with the normal kill so I am not sure if that's any faster

I think it's way overpowered to the point it hurts the game because you don't use the standard kills anymore.

Broritos

Yeah but you need to let bodies disappear with the normal kill so I am not sure if that's any faster

I think it's way overpowered to the point it hurts the game because you don't use the standard kills anymore.

Can you double shadow kill? The game doesn't tell you but you can double stealth kill if two guards are close enough. There's no special animation or anything. Aragami just moves from one guard to the other without twirling around after the first kill and you get extra points for it too.

AHA-Lambda

holy hell that first boss was some BS =/

I don't think it would've been so bad if the game was a bit more fair with dishing out checkpoints but you're supposed to hit 3 light barriers and hit him 3 times all in one go?
Plus he has an uncanny awareness of where you are most times? Plus those floating fire projectiles?
come on

Are the other bosses as bad as him?

Jeez this runs bad on ps4. It's not just the large areas, the game is constantly dropping frames under all sorts of circumstances, it feels like an early access game. After having a similar experience with Firewatch i'm never supporting a unity game on ps4 again.

Oneself

Jeez this runs bad on ps4. It's not just the large areas, the game is constantly dropping frames under all sorts of circumstances, it feels like an early access game. After having a similar experience with Firewatch i'm never supporting a unity game on ps4 again.
Then you buy Inside and rethink your hole life.

SomTervo

I don't think it would've been so bad if the game was a bit more fair with dishing out checkpoints but you're supposed to hit 3 light barriers and hit him 3 times all in one go?
Plus he has an uncanny awareness of where you are most times? Plus those floating fire projectiles?
come on

He's the
only boss like that

And FYI there's a story reason that he
knows roughly where you are

I quite enjoyed that boss, but I had a couple of reservations which I flagged up to the team before release, hopefully got taken into account

Zafir

come on

Yeah I really wasn't a fan.

I don't envy anyone trying to go for medal where you don't kill on it. That just sounds like an episode in frustration.

Vuze

Haha, nice D
ark Souls
easter egg :)
Not sure what's up with the screenshot, looked fine in-game.

https://abload.de/img/280160_20161006140302gyowd.png

Really enjoying the game. AI acts up sometimes, especially the bow dudes. I regularly witness them not moving an inch but behaving normally after a checkpoint reload.
Also wish there was a quick save option. I know it would take away some tension from the game but checkpoints sometimes feel pretty far apart if you're going for the all kill / no skill medals.

AHA-Lambda

I hate this game's bosses >_<

Please tell me the last one isn't so bad cos the second one is making me tear my hair out!

Broritos

Wow, I'm enjoying this game way more than I thought I would. Made a quick gameplay video of just a handful of my encounters.

They made a really solid foundation for this game that they can really build more on. Crossing my fingers that this game becomes successful.

bryanee

come on

Yup just done it. What a terrible boss. I wouldn't of put any bosses in the game if this a taste of how poorly implemented they are.

And for whomever asked when I said jank in an earlier post I was referring to shit frame rate and horrible stuttering when transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay. Oh and the really hit and miss teleport points for getting onto a roof, reminds of Arkham Origins where grapple points weren't implemented all to well.

Otherwise I really like the game when I'm going from enemy to enemy and taking them out.

Soodanim

If we have any Steam controller users here, I just uploaded a config that I'm pretty pleased with. You can do almost everything without moving your fingers away from the triggers, grips and touch pad. The only things you move for are Shadow Techniques, and that's only to the bumpers. Trackball movement for regular camera stuff, gyro for fine-tuning your aim, dual-stage triggering crouch and run is something I couldn't drop now, it's so smooth. Between that and being able to aim, create shadow, and leap to it without lifting a finger it makes everything feel more fluid. Why didn't I name it fluid movement instead of Swift Movement?

aragamisteamcontrolle4br42.png

The developer seems to be active on the forum, so we'll see what gets implemented or changed. Boss battles don't really fit with stealth games unless you really go all out in creating unique ways for the player to accomplish them. Only boss fights I can think of that incorporate stealth well are The End and Marchenko.

Story is kind of nice but broadcasting its twists too much
pretty sure this is going to be a revenge story
Only problem is that the game seems to run pretty hot. Might be a Unity engine thing.

Vitor711

The twist is amazingly obvious, like you can see it right from the start levels of obvious

Yeah, I'm only 6 levels in and I feel I know EXACTLY what it is:
Ghost lady is the evil fox thing that was being imprisoned from the beginning right? Freeing her is bad, right?

Broritos

Just beat the first boss. I thought he was fine other than the part where he glitched out the first times I've fought him so I had to restart more times than I should have.

The game tells you from the intro boss cutscene that he can sense you so it didn't surprise me that he could track you down.

It's too bad videogames are on the back burner right now cause of LFF but can't wait to get free time to try it out. Just got the physical version in the mail :D

CuPsKhfWEAEsLaq.jpg

I finished it. I think the stealth and navigation are actually really good. There's no jump button because maneuvering is based entirely on how much Essence you have, getting caught is dangerous but escaping feels fair rather than the game devolving into a brawl like most stealth games. Ending definitely feels rushed. Second boss fight was pretty tedious, first one was good. Storywise
things point to Aragami being Ryuta, but also to him being from Kaiho, then the game outright tells you he's some guy named Ryo. But then it hints that he's Ryuta. And who the hell is Hyo and what was his deal?

Supposedly there are scrolls to read, but I don't know how much light that would shed on the situation. It seems like a mess and I felt no reason whatsoever to sympathize with Kaiho.

Really not feeling this at all. I was kinda enjoying what little I'd played until the cast a shadow mechanic kicked in. Guess I was hoping for something more like Tenchu essentially.

Soodanim

Finished the game, I killed mostly everything but there were a few enemies I missed. They may have been due to the dynamic difficulty removing enemies after a few goes.

Started running back through on NG+ doing ghost/no kill runs, and you can get through the levels pretty quickly. Outside of the faster regen I haven't used any powers, you don't need them so much.

There's one scroll I can't seem to find though, I'm going to go back in and have another look for it but I might need help. It's one that seems to be inside the cave you drop down into in stage 5. I can't find it inside or outside, and level doesn't let you back in so it doesn't lend itself to exploration.

Edit: Found it. Look to the tree.

Thoughts on bosses:
First one: okay outside of the glitch that forced more than a few restarts. The constant following kept the pressure on. Quite enjoyable and a different sort of experience.
Last one: I enjoyed this one less. I died a few times and started playing it safe, then I died a few more times and I started getting bored for the first time in the game, so I went aggressive and got much better results. The battle was more out of place with the rest of the game than the first, because it moved so much quicker than the rest. That's probably on purpose as it's the last battle in the game, but I felt slightly underpowered for once. Again, possibly by design.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and would love to see them more stealth in future. They are one of the genre's last hopes. They seem to be getting patches out quite quickly too, so hopefully any future buyers don't get put off by big bugs like the first boss one.

The twist is amazingly obvious, like you can see it right from the start levels of obvious
It's one of those "It was staring you in the face all along" things. You're shown the last memory of Aragami before the game even starts, and almost immediately you're shown fox statues and the whole game is shadows fighting against the light. Although before I realised it I did like the idea of the light being evil, it's not too often the roles are reversed

I thought the story was good but predictable until the ending, which I've only come to dislike more and more as I play the game. It really gets absolutely nothing right concerning revenge, war, or peace.
The people of Nisshoku, the kingdom that Kaiho you know, destroyed and occupied are never brought up, and they don't even have a section of the mausoleum dedicated to them/ Shadow adepts. As if that isn't going to breed resentment and foster further conflicts. And that's just one of the game's problems, not even getting into the poor characterization/ sympathy building and nonsensical ending.
Yeesh.Mark of the Ninja had a pretty mediocre story, but the ending to that game is so vastly superior to this one.

Really not feeling this at all. I was kinda enjoying what little I'd played until the cast a shadow mechanic kicked in. Guess I was hoping for something more like Tenchu essentially.

It does feel a lot more like feudal Japanese Thief with Blink (stealth-wise, not design-wise) or Mark of the Ninja than Tenchu. And while I'd definitely like a modern ninja stealth game, the Tenchu games themselves have aged pretty poorly in a world that now has Splinter Cell and Dishonored, and they were already nowhere near the complexity of Thief in terms of stealth mechanics and level layout.

Top Bottom