• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) Discussion Thread [JP date = 4th June]

lying-fingers-crossed.jpg

JaMarco

The only thing im worried about is why is there is no screenshot that shows the character actually walking around? :eek:
I hope its not like DQSwords/

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Case said:
The only thing im worried about is why is there is no screenshot that shows the character actually walking around? :eek:
why would that be? it's a traditional RPG, as they've said as much. it's battle system is even turned based.

Ydahs

Case said:
080627arcr01.jpg

Not actually walking, but it doesn't look like it's on rails to me.

vareon

Case said:

I'm pretty sure it's not. Not like there's many screenshots to judge, though.

JaMarco

Ydahs said:
080627arcr01.jpg

Not actually walking, but it doesn't look like it's on rails to me.
That could just be a "You have entered Whatever City" cutscene thing. Notice there is no UI, the camera angle, and hes isnt even walking. I could just be paranoid though -_-

Case said:
That could just be a "You have entered Whatever City" cutscene thing. Notice there is no UI, the camera angle, and hes isnt even walking. I could just be paranoid though -_-

Bulls-eye. ;)

Man, I really hope this game lives up to its promise. With Crystal Bearers being seemingly wiped off the face of the earth, it would be so good to see a high quality, full fledged JRPG on the system.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hopefully Kanemaru and Niinou make sure they have all their bases covered, but I'm officially wait and see on this now.

duckroll

AzureJericho said:
Agreed. It looks like they'll be one of the only ones rising to heaven at this rate.

Well, having a nice line up is good and all, but the games still need to sell well first and foremost.

Soule

duckroll said:
Well, having a nice line up is good and all, but the games still need to sell well first and foremost.
I seriously hope they sell well, at the very least meet the forecast sales expectations (especially Little King's Story and Rune Factory) if the games are as good as what I expect judging but what's been shown so far. I haven't completely decided on ARF yet since not much has been shown but hopefully TGS delivers for it :) it certainly looks quite appealing, but not long to go before hopefully we see some real gameplay

This wasn't the most recent ARF thread but it had Official in the title so I decided it was the right one to bump for this interview Siliconera did with a Marvelous employee and Ryoei Mikage, president of Imageepoch.
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/27/an-impromptu-chat-with-marvelous-and-the-president-of-imageepoch/
The beginning is basic information about this game such as:

How long do you think it will take for someone to complete Arc Rise Fantasia?

HM: Only the story part alone, probably 40 hours. Include the sub-quests and extra additional parts, 10-20 hours more.

but there is some surprising material later on:

RM: In our minds if it’s goes close to Tales of Symphonia we’ll be satisfied. We’re thinking about expanding Arc Rise Fantasia into second and third sequels. As for the first one we’re not thinking it’s going to be that much of a big hit.

I don't think I've ever seen a developer make a prediction like that about a work in progress.

Are you already planning a sequel?

RM: No comment. Right now we’re working on a lot of different action games as well so we’re learning and applying action skills. The basic concept of Imageepoch is fantasy games. That doesn’t really mean RPG or action. Our games are within the fantasy genre.

What kind of action game would you make? Would you make one with lots of shaking for the Wii or something very difficult like Ninja Gaiden?

RM: More like Super Mario Galaxy-ish.

So… kind of cute?

RM: We’re experimenting with a Resident Evil-type and we’re also experimenting stuff with a Super Mario Galaxy-type. At Imageepoch it’s not like ‘this is only the type of brand that we do’. It’s like would it be interesting to do this? We don’t really have a solid statement, but we’re play around a lot.

I'm very surprised to hear they're working on action games since I had them pegged as an RPG studio. Apparently one of these action games will be for PSP as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
leroy hacker said:
I don't think I've ever seen a developer make a prediction like that about a work in progress.

Yeah, that was refreshingly honest.

Good stuff

birdchili

I played Arc Rise Fantasia using the Classic Controller. Do you plan to implement motion control too?

Hideyuki Mizutani, Operating Officer at Marvelous Entertainment: For the game you can use the Classic Controller, Gamecube controller, and Nunchuck/Wii remote. But, we don’t really utilize the capability of swinging it since we were thinking of a traditional RPG where you sit down and enjoy it for a long period of time.

sigh. why is it that the pointer is so grossly underutilized in genres that seem such a custom-fit for this kind of interface (inventory management, combat targetting...). i'm starting to get that console-port-to-pc rage for games that were *designed for wii*. it's like they're designed for the ps2 or the classic controller.

i suppose that i should be glad that they didn't make the obviously ill-conceived decision to map attack to twitching the remote?

for all it's faults, at least opoona had an interface that gained some benefit from the wii control setup.

duckroll

lol 3 month old thread. Anyway the game went gold about 2 weeks ago. It was posted on the Image Epoch blog, but since there was no active thread, I didn't post about it. Lolz.

jeremy1456

Ydahs said:
I'd imagine it'll look very nice in motion with all that detail. Is it just me, or do those treasure boxes look really out of place?

Actually, what I was thinking is that they look a lot like those in Tales games.

Heck, even their placement (right behind enemies) remind me of Vesperia.

jeremy1456

ivysaur12 said:
Something still looks odd about the character lighting and colors used, but the lava areas look great.

Are you talking about how the lighting has no effect on the character models whatsoever?

If so, I completely agree with you.

bdouble

ivysaur12 said:
Something still looks odd about the character lighting and colors used, but the lava areas look great.

Yeah its definitely not very dynamic. It really doesn't change the shades on the characters at all. Heavily Tales influence though though and totally fine with that.

ivysaur12

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
Are you talking about how the lighting has no effect on the character models whatsoever?

If so, I completely agree with you.

Yes, that's it. I was trying to put my finger on it. And even then, the colors are a bit odd... Everything else looks fine, just not the character models.

Lord Phol

Hey this looks pretty nice, soft warm colors.
Migh just be that kind of good'ol RPG/adventure game I've been craving for awhile.
My wii really needs some action :x.

Is it coming to europeland?

cakeman19

Banned
duckroll said:
lol 3 month old thread. Anyway the game went gold about 2 weeks ago. It was posted on the Image Epoch blog, but since there was no active thread, I didn't post about it. Lolz.

Already? Don't we usually have a release date before a game goes gold? Maybe this will arrive sooner than I thought.

Anyway, those screens look great. It's been too long since we got a traditional console RPG like this.

BikoBiko

Lord Phol said:
Hey this looks pretty nice, soft warm colors.
Migh just be that kind of good'ol RPG/adventure game I've been craving for awhile.
My wii really needs some action :x.

Is it coming to europeland?
It's not announced yet IIRC, but seeing as XSEED is localizing it for the US, I expect Rising Star to do the same here.

kenji

this game needs a new HD trailer soon..

i remember the days before TGS and the TGS days too when there were released the first trailers and the game looked MUCH good than now.. those images show a worser graphic than before.. i hope the game didn't have to be downgraded :(

Fritz

kenji said:
this game needs a new HD trailer soon..

i remember the days before TGS and the TGS days too when there were released the first trailers and the game looked MUCH good than now.. those images show a worser graphic than before.. i hope the game didn't have to be downgraded :(

dunno. The very first bits from famitsu and such looked amazing. Then we got more pics and footage pre TGS and it was quite the letdown. Since then it starts looking better again imo.
I recently watched some battle gameplay on youtube and that was rather intriguing. Like simple yet a nice amount of strategy with the shared AP bar.

Im sure you've all seen this already, I'll post it anyways CLICK

kenji

Fritz said:
dunno. The very first bits from famitsu and such looked amazing. Then we got more pics and footage pre TGS and it was quite the letdown. Since then it starts looking better again imo.
I recently watched some battle gameplay on youtube and that was rather intriguing. Like simple yet a nice amount of strategy with the shared AP bar.

Im sure you've all seen this already, I'll post it anyways CLICK
yeah, that is one of the trailers i was talking about.
but the youtube version it does not hit the real graphic.. in those days there was a downloadable HQ version of that trailer, and the graphic was much more detailed than every screen and video we can see now..
the only one that could be similar is this
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41376.html
but that one was even better :/
too bad the link to that download doesn't work anymore >_>

radcliff

leroy hacker said:
Now that the thread has been revived I'll post this interview Gamasutra did recently with Ryoei Mikage.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21713
The interview is about Imageepoch rather than this game, but those who have been following the developer should find it interesting. One fact revealed-Niinou left Atlus before Mikage recruited him.

And, as you said, Wii is more of a casual gamer platform compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3, but for example, Tales of Symphonia did fairly well domestically in Japan with 300,000 [units sold]. And abroad, we had 500,000.

Is that interview saying TOS: Dawn of the New World has sold 500,000 worldwide? Is that right? I thought it sold about 220K in Japan yet that interview says 300K. Maybe they are shipped #s? Either way, I think they are good numbers for the title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
radcliff said:
Is that interview saying TOS: Dawn of the New World has sold 500,000 worldwide? Is that right? I thought it sold about 220K in Japan yet that interview says 300K. Maybe they are shipped #s? Either way, I think they are good numbers for the title.

He might be talking about the original. Didn't a lot of the guys working on ARF work on ToS?

schuelma said:
He might be talking about the original. Didn't a lot of the guys working on ARF work on ToS?
It does sound like he's talking about DotNW, but that figure does seem rather high especially considering it hasn't been released in Europe yet.

Top Bottom