• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc the Lad II and Arc Arena on PSN 11.23.2010, $5.99 / $8.99 bundle

vireland said:
I mentioned this in the Arc/Alundra thread today. The first two sold well enough to continue doing ones that are already localized or require no localization, but the sales definitely aren't close to robust enough to encourage us to go back and pick up unlocalized gems (I have a list!) from the original Playstation and do them up. I'm not saying we won't GET to that level of sales, just that we're not there yet. So we're pushing promotion in other ways to try to get the word out and drum up support so we can do this "next step".

That would be fantastic, but I hope that wish list includes localised JPN VC games. There's an absolutely massive gold mine of stuff on there!

Ledsen

toythatkills said:
I've got the Arc Collection, and the hardback guide, but never played it, and at this point don't have a console to play it on. It's one of the games I kept though, along with Alundra, Grandia, that I rebought on PSN. Fully intend to rebuy this, too!

I'm not sure what interests me most, probably something geeky like the general gameplay. I played Arc: Twilight of the Spirits and it was the first game I played with strategy-like battles and actual proper out of battle RPG gameplay, and I loved it for it. Prior to that in tactical RPGs, I was used to just selecting a point on a map and going battle battle battle sleep. It sounds like the former is the kind of gameplay I'm gonna find in Arc II so I'm ready to absolutely adore it.

I can't say I'm interested by the story, avoiding any mention of it until Arc is completed!

AtL2 is very much a traditional RPG that just happens to have its battles take place on a grid instead of two groups standing in a line facing each other.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PetriP-TNT said:
Really tempted to try this out after more than a decade... wow has it really been so long? I feel old(ish)

Nearly two decades, actually. Japan release was 1993(?).

Eric C

vireland said:
I mentioned this in the Arc/Alundra thread today. The first two sold well enough to continue doing ones that are already localized or require no localization, but the sales definitely aren't close to robust enough to encourage us to go back and pick up unlocalized gems (I have a list!) from the original Playstation and do them up. I'm not saying we won't GET to that level of sales, just that we're not there yet. So we're pushing promotion in other ways to try to get the word out and drum up support so we can do this "next step".

See, this is the kind of thing I'd love to become common place on all the Digital services. A second chance for some great games that never got localized the first time around.

I hope word of mouth is good for both Alundra and Arc the Lad series, and they continue selling well for months.

Macstorm

I need to find my Arc watch and get a new battery for it. My sad story is having my memory card formatted halfway through Arc II. I'm still bitter at my friend for doing that. Stupid idiot shouldn't have been messed around with my stuff without me around.

RyanDG

I know this isn't the 100% correct thread to ask this in but it is semi work designs related - so here we go.

Back when Arc the Lad 1 was about to be released there was an article in GameFan magazine featuring several Japanese RPGs that wouldn't be coming stateside anytime soon. One of the games being mentioned was Arc the Lad, and the second was an RPG that was set in the United States but was sort of like a really bizarre retelling of the American Revolution or something like that -- or maybe some sort of post-apocalyptic retelling of the old west? I just remember that it was definitely influenced by the 1700-1800's United States with a lot of bizarre demons and magic and such but having towns named after real world locations (or close to them). I know this is really vague, but I'm hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on this game. If I recall correctly, both the games were being listed as being by Working Designs or Working Designs related or just listed by GameFan on the same page as a handful of other working designs games.

Anyone know what the game was called or if it actually ever was released?

I'm usually really good at my semi-obscure PS1 games, but for the life of me I can't remember of the title of this game. I just remember the article because it was my first exposure to Arc the Lad (or it could've been Arc the Lad 2 - gah my horrible memory).

TheSeks

Okay, Persona 4 playthrough over today. So now it's time to get Arc the Lad 1 started so I can have it finished for 2+Arena.

I wish I could get 2 for free, but knowing my luck I won't despite being GAF's cheerleader over the Arc Collection coming to PSN. :(

MCD

My favorite moment is definitely when Elc wakes up from his coma and BATMAN his way into the prison to rescue Poco and Diekbeck. Poco said to him: FORGET ARC, YOU ARE THE REAL CRIMINAL, MAN. or something along this line.

:lol

RPGCrazied

Awesome thread! The victor ireland? I love those spiffy boxed version of those games back in the day. I still have that watch from preordering Arc the Lad collection on PSX. Even those standee cardboard cut outs of the characters. Just wondering, but where is the first game? I think another play through is in order. I haven't played this in ages! This is another franchise I wish we would see on the PS3.

Here's a picture of them. The watch is still in mint condition!

Picture358.jpg

RyanDG

RPGCrazied said:
Awesome thread! The victor ireland? I love those spiffy boxed version of those games back in the day. I still have that watch from preordering Arc the Lad collection on PSX. Even those standee cardboard cut outs of the characters. Just wondering, but where is the first game? I think another play through is in order. I haven't played this in ages! This is another franchise I wish we would see on the PS3.

Here's a picture of them. The watch is still in mint condition!

arc the lad 1 is already up.

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/arc-the-lad-ps3-psp.html

vireland

RyanDG said:
Holy crap I think that's it. Although I was completely wrong about the system -- Saturn rather than PS1. Anyone know if its any good. I just saw it got a PSP port and I may have to pick it up if it seems as awesomely cool as it looks.

It's a *great* game.

GeoramA

RPGCrazied said:
Oh yeah? Sorry, I've only had my PS3 for like a week. I didn't know. These can be played on the system and doesn't require a PSP right?
Yep. All PSone classics can be played on both systems.

Each one even has a virtual version of their original manuals when you press the PS Button in-game :)

RPGCrazied

GeoramA said:
Yep. All PSone classics can be played on both systems.

Each one even has a virtual version of their original manuals when you press the PS Button in-game :)

Awesome. Thank you. :)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I remember staring at the arc the lad box every time I went to Electronics Boutique for a few months when I was a kid, longing for a PS1.

Even if I don't play it I'm gonna make that little kid happy god dammit!

RyanDG

vireland said:
It's a *great* game.

Well since I've got your seal of approval, I'll definitely try to hunt down the PSP version. I remembered thinking that the game looked incredible and the concept sounded amazing to me. Unfortunately, at the time my Japanese language skills were practically non-existant so I just had the ability to gawk in magazines. Man, I miss the old Gamefan though. Had it not been for Gamefan, i probably wouldn't have been introduced to Arc the lad to begin with (getting back on topic of course). Some of the write ups that Gamefan did on the series, if I recall correctly, were filled with quite a bit of passion for Arc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I got the Kukuru watch. Still have it somewhere, not sure exactly where, though. I know where all the rest of the Arc Collection stuff is, since I just kept everything in the box, but the watch wouldn't fit.

::edit::
Nevermind, was keeping it with the rest of the stuff after all. My little standees are all still sealed, though. :lol

vireland

Today's winner of one Arc II and one Arc Arena PSN download code is: Absoludacrous!
Also, updated the OP so there will be a list of daily winners in one place.

Codes for the winners will be sent via PM the evening before 11/23 PSN release and can be used as soon as the games are posted on PSN. All non-winning posts remain in contention for a win between now and the 23rd. There's some great posts here, keep them up!

Once the daily code winners are all chosen, one winner chosen from amongst those at random will be awarded one of the super-rare Choko pocket watches.

vireland

RyanDG said:
Well since I've got your seal of approval, I'll definitely try to hunt down the PSP version. I remembered thinking that the game looked incredible and the concept sounded amazing to me. Unfortunately, at the time my Japanese language skills were practically non-existant so I just had the ability to gawk in magazines. Man, I miss the old Gamefan though. Had it not been for Gamefan, i probably wouldn't have been introduced to Arc the lad to begin with (getting back on topic of course). Some of the write ups that Gamefan did on the series, if I recall correctly, were filled with quite a bit of passion for Arc.

The great thing is that the PSP version isn't a port because the source was lost or messed up or something. It was re-written from scratch using the original art and sound assets, which were also improved. I spent a week with the Japanese programmer of the PSP version geeking out about it a couple years ago. :)

seady

I have never played the Arc the Lad series, but I know it is a strategy/tactical RPG.

I am interested to play it because from the videos I watched in Youtube, the game seems to be the precursor to one of my favorite modern RPGs of today: Valkyria Chronicle. I love something more strategic in my RPGs, so I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this too.

Hero said:
Never played any of these games. Is playing the first one essential for II?

Yes. A lot of the plot and characters won't have nearly as much impact if you haven't played the first. You will also miss out on the cool carry-overs from a cleared Arc the Lad 1 save data. The first is very short too.

vireland said:
The great thing is that the PSP version isn't a port because the source was lost or messed up or something. It was re-written from scratch using the original art and sound assets, which were also improved. I spent a week with the Japanese programmer of the PSP version geeking out about it a couple years ago. :)

To be a fly on the wall when that happened.....:D

silvon

Wow, I held off buying Arc1 because it's such a short game, but knowing Arc2 will come so soon... day 1!

My fondest memory of Arc1&2 was actually their sound effect and voice overs. I only played Japanese Arc1&2, so I don't know whether they dubbed the NA version, but the voice actors in both games were so cool, they just give so much personality to the characters, with girly Kukuru, hoarse Gogen, masculine Tosh, laidback Poco, resolute Arc... even with almost no understanding of Japanese I came to understand each character's personality just by listening to their voices. I absolutely love the sound effects in the games too, the main reason I had Elk in my main party all the time was because the sound of his spear stabbing opponents was so satisfying :lol

vireland

silvon said:
Wow, I held off buying Arc1 because it's such a short game, but knowing Arc2 will come so soon... day 1!

My fondest memory of Arc1&2 was actually their sound effect and voice overs. I only played Japanese Arc1&2, so I don't know whether they dubbed the NA version, but the voice actors in both games were so cool, they just give so much personality to the characters, with girly Kukuru, hoarse Gogen, masculine Tosh, laidback Poco, resolute Arc... even with almost no understanding of Japanese I came to understand each character's personality just by listening to their voices. I absolutely love the sound effects in the games too, the main reason I had Elk in my main party all the time was because the sound of his spear stabbing opponents was so satisfying :lol

Played with dubbing when we localized them, but the result was a shadow of the Japanese voices, so I left them alone. I agree, they're great.

RpgN

Is Arc Arena good? I couldn't find any decent youtube videos for it and have no idea how it plays or looks like :(

Been wanting to play Arc I and II for a long time. But I tried Phantom Brave the other night and it totally killed my desire to play a SRPG. Ah well, maybe one day.

More SRPG goodness, hurray!

Every time I think of Arc II, I always think of how mesmerizing Shante's GIGANTIC earring are. The scale of the earring compared to her body is hilarious. (In a good way, of course.)

Watching her sashay around dungeons and kick the crap of of monsters is amazing too. RPGs need more playable lounge singers, dammit.

I never played any Arc game untill now, wasn't that much into JRPGs back in the days, FF7 was my first entry into JRPG goodness. Well and the fact that it was never released in the old world didn't help either ;)

Seems really interesting, I like the SRPG elements, I wouldn't mind giving this puppy a test drive on my PSP.

Newduck

So, are these on the EU store at all? Keen on potentially getting them but the region exclusivity on PS3 is annoying.

Spwn

Really interested to try out the Arc the Lad games as they were never released in Europe and through a US account I'm able to get them. I like the graphical style of the games and I'm an avid JRPG fan, but have never really played any SRPG's. Is Arc the Lad a good way to start?

TheSeks

Spwn said:
Is Arc the Lad a good way to start?

Arc's not really an SRPG in the traditional sense, but it's a good starter RPG with grid-based battle mechanics.

Sure, there is long/short range tactics. But it isn't slow and "plan your moves carefully" like others in the genre.

Spwn

TheSeks said:
Arc's not really an SRPG in the traditional sense, but it's a good starter RPG with grid-based battle mechanics.

Sure, there is long/short range tactics. But it isn't slow and "plan your moves carefully" like others in the genre.

That sounds great as strategy games are something I'm very bad at. Maybe this really is something I could get into.

TheSeks

Spwn said:
That sounds great as strategy games are something I'm very bad at. Maybe this really is something I could get into.

The way the battles work is you have the SRPG-style "attack from the sides and back for a bonus!" system along with grid-based movements up to a certain range that "turn." However, to attack, you move to the target you want to attack, press in that direction and Arc/party will attack that person. If you want to use a rock or a special skill, you press circle (for the skill, triangle for the items?) and then select the one you want.

It's a SRPG-lite, basically.

vireland

TheSeks said:
The way the battles work is you have the SRPG-style "attack from the sides and back for a bonus!" system along with grid-based movements up to a certain range that "turn." However, to attack, you move to the target you want to attack, press in that direction and Arc/party will attack that person. If you want to use a rock or a special skill, you press circle (for the skill, triangle for the items?) and then select the one you want.

It's a SRPG-lite, basically.

I generally say it's trending toward Action-Strategy, since the flow is much quicker than a normal Strategy-RPG.

Ledsen

TheSeks said:
Okay, Persona 4 playthrough over today. So now it's time to get Arc the Lad 1 started so I can have it finished for 2+Arena.

I wish I could get 2 for free, but knowing my luck I won't despite being GAF's cheerleader over the Arc Collection coming to PSN. :(

Arc I is like 10 hours long so you'll be playing the much more awesome II very soon :)

TheSeks

Ledsen said:
Arc I is like 10 hours long so you'll be playing the much more awesome II very soon :)

Yeah, but I'm short on cash with GT5 coming. So getting it for free off Vic would be nice. :(

I'd buy 3 for sure though if it came in Feburary, at least I'd have a chance to breathe from the holidays.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
RyanDG said:
Holy crap I think that's it. Although I was completely wrong about the system -- Saturn rather than PS1. Anyone know if its any good. I just saw it got a PSP port and I may have to pick it up if it seems as awesomely cool as it looks.

I'm a huuuuge fan of the game, very awesome if you are into turn-based, classic style RPGs, and can read Japanese (or don't mind relying on a walkthrough).

vireland

Arc II and Arc Arena PSN download code winner for today is: GrumpyAlien!

They also are entered in the drawing at the end for the rare Choko pocketwatch. Nice posts about your memories of the game, and your expectations in advance of release. Keep it up!

Paznos

Man I still have to download Arc and Alundra, I rented Alundra back on PS1 but never completed it.

I wanted to pick up the Arc Collection edition but never got around to it, wish I had.

I haven't played the game but back in the days I would get on IGN and read the reviews for the game and comtemplating if I should get it (Was a kid without a job so I had to pick carefully) but i remember regularly reading different aspect of the game so I can get hyped. Sadly I never got around to buying then. ;(

DMPrince said:
I haven't played the game but back in the days I would get on IGN and read the reviews for the game and comtemplating if I should get it (Was a kid without a job so I had to pick carefully) but i remember regularly reading different aspect of the game so I can get hyped. Sadly I never got around to buying then. ;(

Yea, I had to trade a ton of stuff in to buy the collection back in the day. I don't remember what any of it was though, so it was clearly the right decision.

I've been replaying Arc 1 off and on since it came out, debating on whether I'm going to go through that dungeon again so I can use that save for Arc 2. I might just dig out my old memory card and use that old save, though I do remember a couple treasure chests being closed for me when I used that save and went to retrieve all my old stuff.

At least it had the summon though.

Edit:
RpgN said:
Is Arc Arena good? I couldn't find any decent youtube videos for it and have no idea how it plays or looks like :(

It's kinda cool. Basically you export your monsters to the arena, have them fight to level up and get items, then import them back into Arc 2. I never got very far into it, but it can be handy in the early game to get your monsters some good levels. It's not required or anything, but it's a cool enough bonus (and Arc 2 is such an awesome game) that I would recommend getting the package.

Edit 2:
Also want to say thanks to Vic choosing my post, very awesome reward (i'm still going to buy it anyway cause I gotta support one of my favorite games of all time). Got my fingers crossed for the watch though.

Wow, thanks a lot for the game Vic. Really made my day as its one of my favorites. Look forward to playing it again over the holidays.

I think this will be my first time actually having the 4 stones you find in ATL 1, and seeing what they do in ATL 2. Hope the reward is good.

Top Bottom