• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ARCHIVE UP] The Giant Bomb "We've Got A Wii U" Live Stream

Whompa

Can someone get a clip of Epic Mickey 2 running at -4 frames per second with Giantbomb's reaction to that? That was friggen priceless.

Squire

Banned
You guys realize that they triggered the Error 1 themselves right?

You realize my PS3 just kicks me back to my home screen when I do that, right? Because it wasn't designed by a pack of lazy idiots?

S'all good though. My GBA did something like that, too.

Well, I wasn't going to buy one at launch anyway (lack of money mostly) but I get to laugh at my friend who's being made to buy one at launch.

Lyude77

Yeah but at least with NSMB Wii that was the franchise's first time on a console so there was that selling point. This time, the only selling point is that the resolution is upped. Not that they're doing anything extra special to take advantage of more processing power. Also I must add that NSMB Wii was not a launch title for the Wii and wasn't expected to be a system seller. The post I responded to implied that this game, for a much more advanced console, actually would be a system seller and that is laughable. Nintendoland is more of a system seller than NSMBU by far.

I hear you. That's why I had the ":p", I understand there were more reasons that NSMB Wii sold well. I don't think the system seller suggestion is laughable, however. Nintendo Land will sell more because it's a pack-in, but it will be closer to NSMBU than you seem to expect (talking about this year only, for now). See my previous post for the edited-in poll that's one of the reasons why I think it's reasonable.

welp my bad

ibbuGvZ9vEuOPl.gif

StuBurns

Banned
I love that bit in Looper where he tells him to go to China, and when he says he wants to go to France instead the guy just says "I'm from the future, go to China".

You realize my PS3 just kicks me back to my home screen when I do that, right? Because it wasn't designed by a pack of lazy idiots?

S'all good though. My GBA did something like that, too.

lol love it.

Why does it feel like Nintendo is still using the same OS designers from the Gamecube days? Back when you just needed a pretty basic set of "Play game or settings" menus? So far behind the curve. Wouldn't be surprised if you can attribute this to NoJ being control freaks.

Whompa

lol love it.

Why does it feel like Nintendo is still using the same OS designers from the Gamecube days? Back when you just needed a pretty basic set of "Play game or settings" menus? So far behind the curve. Wouldn't be surprised if you can attribute this to NoJ being control freaks.

Probably because Nintendo hasn't changed the hardware since then. At least it feels like they haven't...sigh...

well at least we will get Doomtendo to show up early.

Should get some ace games from that.

But no seriously today wasn't a death sentence for the thing. Nintendo, to theri credit won't just sit on their asses and I'm sure this will get "fixed"...it should'nt have come to this but it is what it is.

and once again we will get a great game out of this if the backlash is that bad....

so unless it breaks christmas records and shit, some of these issues will be ironed out (Things like the one account, wii mode,and such don't really effect or bother me much as won't be traveling with my account, didn't buy much on the wii and probably going to use Dolphin for Wii stuff. The battery doesn't either because I don't play that long and Myset up has me close to the system...but still that shit sucks).

Nintendo isn't that oblivious....they just always need a wake up call.

It's kinda funny that they have fucked up by not having a true system seller out the gates for like the 5 time (GC, DS,Wii,3DS and now Wii U all had okay launches with the big guns always on the horizon..).

I'm really fascinated to see where it goes from here. I'm not buying one due to money issues and no games I want that badly but it going to be interesting to see what happens and how Nintendo reacts.

Maxrunner

lol love it.

This. At least Sony seems to use their foreign partners, Nintendo seems stuck in their bunker....laughs

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Argh I just found out that if you don't add friends through miiverse they never get an invite. That IS weird.

Zaph

I really feel for Nintendo of America, they're going to have to do some serious PR spin due to decisions that probably had nothing to do with them.

JordanN

Banned
This stream has solidified my choice to wait for a WiiU version of Dolphin for PC if I'm ever going to touch a wiiU game.
That's like... waiting almost forever. There's still no Xbox emulator and Wii U is far more complex than that.

And then there's that gamepad...

Squire

Banned
lol love it.

This is why absolutely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This thing is such a disaster. It's like if they had released the Wii and it were inferior to the PlayStation 2 or something.

I'll still get one eventually for the 1st party Nintendo games, but damn... It's seriously like they are just ignoring the competition and living in their own bubble. I guess we'll see how that strategy pans out for them.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Its kind of depressing that we have to deal with a lot of this stuff for at least another 5 years.

I don't really regret my purchase of one, because I know for sure at the very least another Super Smash Bros was going to force me to get one at some point anyway and game quality will always trump console quality but that doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about how disappointing this entire console has been so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The launch games pretty much were. The same will likely happen again. Just give it time.

I'll definitely give it time, but that's the problem for Nintendo. I have a feeling a lot more people are going to be taking that stance this time around.

rekameohs

Banned
I'll definitely give it time, but that's the problem for Nintendo. I have a feeling a lot more people are going to be taking that stance this time around.

Once the Zeldas / Smash Bros / 3D Marios come out people will be buying the system. It's like what people said in that killer app thread. Companies are having weaker launches since supply is short and will sell out regardless. I'll bet that next year, Nintendo will have quite a lot come Holiday time to combat Durango.

inky

Woot, there's the archive, will watch a bit tonight. Just came back, but I guess I missed something big going by the threads/this page.

That account thing is pretty bonkers. Oh Nintendo you dumb asses.

Once the Zeldas / Smash Bros / 3D Marios come out people will be buying the system. It's like what people said in that killer app thread. Companies are having weaker launches since supply is short and will sell out regardless. I'll bet that next year, Nintendo will have quite a lot come Holiday time to combat Durango.

I really doubt that, specially with HD development.

I'm still not sure how anyone can blame the hardware while ignoring the games that do work. Had say Nintendoland been running at a constant 1fps then you might have a point but they're not.

Nintendoland does have a long initial load. Besides that, just because a game is designed ideally for the hardware by the company that manufactured it doesn't mean there aren't issues third-party developers are running into it. Especially when they're trying to develop different types of games, or port existing ones.

One hypothetical: Earlier I had been thinking about Sega porting, say, Sonic Generations to Wii U. But the design of that game (and Unleashed prior) relies heavily on streaming massive stretches of levels into memory on the fly. With the slower memory on Wii U, that might actually be a technical roadblock to that type of game. Captain Falcon's Twister Race is not comparable to that.

That's just one rough example. I know Nintendo shouldn't design a console solely around getting ports, but at least with the Wii, receiving comparable PS2 and Xbox 1 ports was a non-issue. I can't recall any Wii titles that suffered greatly over PS2 or Xbox versions, motion controls complaints aside. There might have been a few, but not as prominent as these.

But the hardware may not turn out to be a problem. It just can't be ruled out yet.

It's kinda funny that they have fucked up by not having a true system seller out the gates for like the 5 time (GC, DS,Wii,3DS and now Wii U all had okay launches with the big guns always on the horizon..)

Whether we like it or not, Wii Sports was more of a system seller than most anything you might consider a system seller. It's sold more units than like the entire Halo series combined before 4. (And before you say pack-in, plenty of Halo games have been bundled as well).

Chanser

Have to admit this stream has put me off getting a Wii U, just emailed to cancel my AC 3 pre-order. Maybe when Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101 gets released, I might re-consider buying one.

Zomba13

Sorry if this has been requested before but anyone got the timestamp for when they find out about NNID's being locked to a console?

EDIT: NVM. Checked previous page. 4:44:00

Top Bottom