• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ARCHIVE UP] The Giant Bomb "We've Got A Wii U" Live Stream

Eventually the kinks will get worked out on the OS, and more games built for the Wii-U actually worth a damn will come out(Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, etc).

But I'm not losing any sleep not having this system in 2012. And I think I'm still gonna rely on Sony/MS box to play third-party games if today was any indication. If this is the current-gen ports, I don't wanna see them handling next-gen downports >_>

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Well my launch boner has definitely gone flaccid after watching most of that. Shitty ports are to be expected but the UI/OS issues are just ridiculous. My ZombiU Premium pack pre-order is hanging in the balance and I think I may be better off waiting until early next year when they might have sorted a lot or at least some of these major issues out.

kinggroin

Banned
I know how bad this was. I really do....

But the allure of playing my wanted launch titles (that seem to be the only ones problem free) on the toilet is too strong to make me cancel.

Am I a bad person?

Well the OS is definitely an annoying problem, but I feel a lot of the problem comes from the really overloaded online features. Hopefully Nintendo sorts those out sometime before games with actual online come out. That said, I'm not really too upset about buying a Wii U at launch, loving Nintendoland and NSMBU and excited for my Wii U Ambassador games!

I still think NSMBU will be enough to ride the console out into a very successful first year.

But when it has competition is when things get messy.
Nope, it's not a killer app. Damn near the same game already exists on THREE other preexisting Nintendo platforms. It's more of a value added thing. It can't carry the console on its own.

- J - D -

I just wanna thank the GB crew for enduring for 7+ hours. I spent more time watching them do this today than actually play my Wii U! (Granted, I had work to do and kept the GB vid in background).

zroid

Banned
Nope, it's not a killer app. Damn near the same game already exists on THREE other preexisting Nintendo platforms. It's more of a value added thing. It can't carry the console on its own.

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. It's clearly the best NSMB game, and it's probably one of the best 2D Mario games, but it's really hard to say if consumers will take. The core audience seems to be mostly having none of it.

I know how bad this was. I really do....

But the allure of playing my wanted launch titles (that seem to be the only ones problem free) on the toilet is too strong to make me cancel.

Am I a bad person?

As long as you know what you're buying it for, have fun. I bought it because it's the new Nintendo box. Good 3rd party titles/exclusives are a plus (Platinum's games Rayman), but I'm not holding my breath with the majority of them. Nintendo just needs to address the loading and freezing issues. The rest of the games/options are fluff I couldn't care less about.

I have to admit, I know porting to a new console can be tricky, especially with such a limited amount of time and possibly older versions of Unreal Engine crippling your work, but I did not expect the 3rd party ports to be almost universally bad. I thought with the newer hardware and extra memory (which we now know is a bit slower), I thought they'd have breathing room and a half to at least port over a comparable experience.

Epic Mickey: Power of Two crossed the boundary from "doesn't run smoothly" to "it just doesn't work," Batman was choking up on what looked like fairly common scenarios, and Madden's Robot Vision wasn't doing the game any favors. Either Nintendo did not get kits to them soon enough, third parties didn't have the resources or interest in doing a decent job, or something is drastically wrong with the hardware. The first issue will at least go away over time, the others set a more alarming precedent.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eventually the kinks will get worked out on the OS, and more games built for the Wii-U actually worth a damn will come out(Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, etc).

But I'm not losing any sleep not having this system in 2012. And I think I'm still gonna rely on Sony/MS box to play third-party games if today was any indication. If this is the current-gen ports, I don't wanna see them handling next-gen downports >_>

Actually, the general rule of thumb is lunch and near-launch ports are terrible indicators of how mutli-system games will be handle. The games were rushed to market, rushed to meet that launch deadline, it is fairly standard stuff actually.

Effect

That batch of games are going to be a big improvement I think (hope). I'm really hopeful for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as well. Games not designed around the Wii U first are going to have issues. Some worse then others. Same for the PS3 of course. Games designed for it 100% are excellent. Multiplatforms are hit or mess a lot of times. Why this is a surprise to anyone is a surprise to me to be honest.

Lyude77

NSMB Wii was a killer app, and multiple people on GAF thought it was literally the same game as the DS version. :p

Seriously though, it's not one for you, but I think it's too early to say it's not killer for others. If it sells less than half of the total Wii U sales by the new year, then I'll say it wasn't a killer app for the launch.

Edit:
It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. It's clearly the best NSMB game, and it's probably one of the best 2D Mario games, but it's really hard to say if consumers will take. The core audience seems to be mostly having none of it.

Based on GAF's Wii U launch pick-up thread, 76% of GAF wanted it with their Wii U. I realize almost all of these are Nintendo fans, but that's a really high number, and this is still GAF/core audience. Gotta love the accumulated anecdotal argument, haha. Also, more people were picking up NSMBU than Nintendo Land (only like 5 more, but that's still impressive, considering Nintendo Land is a pack-in).

Actually, the general rule of thumb is lunch and near-launch ports are terrible indicators of how mutli-system games will be handle. The games were rushed to market, rushed to meet that launch deadline, it is fairly standard stuff actually.

Exactly. Judging the Wii U on Batman and Epic Mickey is like judging the 360 on Gun and Madden 06.

PBY

Banned
Exactly. Judging the Wii U on Batman and Epic Mickey is like judging the 360 on Gun and Madden 06.

But... graphically speaking, weren't Gun and Madden on the 360 the best looking versions? Ie- ignoring feature sets/gameplay, shdn't the power of the hardware offset the short dev cycle?

JordanN

Banned
Epic Mickey: Power of Two crossed the boundary from "doesn't run smoothly" to "it just doesn't work," Batman was choking up on what looked like fairly common scenarios, and Madden's Robot Vision wasn't doing the game any favors. Either Nintendo did not get kits to them soon enough, third parties didn't have the resources or interest in doing a decent job, or something is drastically wrong with the hardware. The first issue will at least go away over time, the others set a more alarming precedent.
I'm still not sure how anyone can blame the hardware while ignoring the games that do work. Had say Nintendoland been running at a constant 1fps then you might have a point but they're not.

NSMB Wii was a killer app, and multiple people on GAF thought it was literally the same game as the DS version. :p

Seriously though, it's not one for you, but I think it's too early to say it's not killer for others. If it sells less than half of the total Wii U sales by the new year, then I'll say it wasn't a killer app for the launch.
Yeah but at least with NSMB Wii that was the franchise's first time on a console so there was that selling point. This time, the only selling point is that the resolution is upped. Not that they're doing anything extra special to take advantage of more processing power. Also I must add that NSMB Wii was not a launch title for the Wii and wasn't expected to be a system seller. The post I responded to implied that this game, for a much more advanced console, actually would be a system seller and that is laughable. Nintendoland is more of a system seller than NSMBU by far.
Except both ran fine on 360 and were the best looking versions of those games.

So basically the exact opposite.
This. Some people are performing some incredible mental gymnastics to make excuses for the Wii U. The versions of Gun and Madden 06 that were on the 360 wouldn't have even been able to run on the previous gen consoles.

Why do I get the feeling Jeff dropkicked the Wii U to bits after the stream was done :D

As a whole my first GB stream, and it didn't just derail the hype train, it went back in time and shot a young George Stevenson in the head before the notion of locomotives came to him forever changing history.

Next gen my ass.

ibzB1Pzeimbm3B.gif

Pretty sad for a console, me thinks

That's just MY personal reasoning. I don't care about Miiverse tweets, or video chat, or if it makes me pancakes, I just want the games I bought the console for to work, and work well. As long as they sort out the loading/freezing issues and put out quality titles, I'm happy. There are other consoles and the PC to fill other roles.

I'm also one of "those people" that doesn't care about Youtube, or Netflix, or Twitter, or ESPN, etc. etc. on my game consoles, so I might not be the in the majority on this issue.

Squire

Banned
People keep saying, "It happened with PS3 and 360! It's no surprise!"

No, it is a surprise. That was 2006. Nintendo had six years - six years - to observe and reflect on that stuff as it happened and make sure it didn't happen here. They've been twiddling they're fucking thumbs. And they tried to hide it from people!

It's a first-party game, it's a third-party game, it's the OS; it doesn't matter. None of it. None of what we saw tonight should've looked as sloppy as it did. There's just no excuse.

Megasoum

Banned
You guys realize that they triggered the Error 1 themselves right?

They removed the game disc during the loading to try to get the music to loop forever. Turns out the system notice the missing disc after 30sec-1min.

dancmc

wooof.....good thing I have no interest in any of the ports; but that does stink for those that did. Hopefully this all gets straightened out by actual Christmas when a whole bunch of new owners start down this road

Ketch

kinda bummed on the WiiU now. I wasn't planning on getting it, but I wanted to be happy for nintendo. Those ports are so bad. so bad.

PBY

Banned
People keep saying, "It happened with PS3 and 360! It's no surprise!"

No, it is a surprise. That was 2006. Nintendo had six years - six years - to observe and reflect on that stuff as it happened and make sure it didn't happen here. They've been twiddling they're fucking thumbs. And they tried to hide it from people!

It's a first-party game, it's a third-party game, it's the OS; it doesn't matter. None of it. None of what we saw tonight should've looked as sloppy as it did. There's just no excuse.

I just don't understand the graphics stuff. I know devs are working w/ a new system/rough cycles... but shouldn't the power of the system take care of that? See 360 launch ports.

dwu8991

Banned
I have to admit, I know porting to a new console can be tricky, especially with such a limited amount of time and possibly older versions of Unreal Engine crippling your work, but I did not expect the 3rd party ports to be almost universally bad. I thought with the newer hardware and extra memory (which we now know is a bit slower), I thought they'd have breathing room and a half to at least port over a comparable experience.

Nailed it. The Unreal Engine is too much of a beast to work effectively on the Wii U even when there was no streaming to the controller involved.

PetrCobra

That's right... I mean, I should know that a game performing poorly is not indicative of the power of the hardware, the fucking Super Meat Boy has occassional framerate issues on my PC.

My problem is that the OS is clearly not finished and there are a few annoying design decisions like with the online accounts or the Wii BC solution which are not exactly helping.

Top Bottom