• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any FPS/shooter games that have a realistic reload/ammo system?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zenith said:
No they use the system where the half-empty mag is removed and stored, then the most full mag is inserted. So you can fire off a few shots, reload and have it go back to full ammo, but eventually you'll start loading mags with only 14 rounds in them and the like.

Socom I did it like this as well.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think some Battlefield games did the magazine bullet wasting thing. I'm pretty OCD about reloading too, so I would be interested to how I would fare with more realistic ammo systems.

Yeah CoD is pretty good about this. Disappointingly though I notice with the pump action shotgun in Black Ops, even when there's a round in the chamber your guy always racks the slide when he reloads. In real life he'd be ejecting a good round every time.
One nice touch about the L4D1 auto shotguns was that you'd have to load the first shell into the chamber if you emptied it, which meant it made more sense to start reloading with one shell left in the chamber. Strangely, L4D2 went in the opposite direction and added the slide motion regardless of when you reloaded.

One thing that really bugged me about the L4D games was that you could cancel your entire reload effect if you switched weapons too soon after the reloading animation. You could reload, watch the reload animation finish physically loading the gun, and then switch weapons, but if you did it too fast your first gun would still be empty because you switched away before the game registered the gun as reloaded.

MMaRsu

Banned
Diebuster said:
Neotokyo comes to mind:

6Vt6J.jpg

This should be in any shooter imo.

Akuun said:
One thing that really bugged me about the L4D games was that you could cancel your entire reload effect if you switched weapons too soon after the reloading animation. You could reload, watch the reload animation finish physically loading the gun, and then switch weapons, but if you did it too fast your first gun would still be empty because you switched away before the game registered the gun as reloaded.
Yea, that bothers me also in L4D

Because in TF2, the weapon is reloaded as soon as the bullet (or Rocket, or Nade, etc) is in the gun. Even if the animation isn't done, it's timed very well.

L4D goes opposite of this, and makes you complete the entire animation before it's fully reloaded.

Akuun said:
One nice touch about the L4D1 auto shotguns was that you'd have to load the first shell into the chamber if you emptied it, which meant it made more sense to start reloading with one shell left in the chamber. Strangely, L4D2 went in the opposite direction and added the slide motion regardless of when you reloaded.

balladofwindfishes said:
Yea, that bothers me also in L4D

Because in TF2, the weapon is reloaded as soon as the bullet (or Rocket, or Nade, etc) is in the gun. Even if the animation isn't done, it's timed very well.

L4D goes opposite of this, and makes you complete the entire animation before it's fully reloaded.
It's weird that they would take a step backwards. Seems like they should know better.

It's little touches like this that shouldn't bother the casual gamer who doesn't know any better, but people like us who know how guns actually function in the real world can appreciate.

bdouble

This has been brought up before but I think a more realistic reload systen would help CoD. Slow it down just a tad and not be as spray and pray.

1-D_FTW

Akuun said:
I think some Battlefield games did the magazine bullet wasting thing. I'm pretty OCD about reloading too, so I would be interested to how I would fare with more realistic ammo systems.

You'd quickly adapt. I'm OCD about it, but in games with limit ammo and this system, you quickly get the message. Nothing like running around without ammo to quickly break the habit.

atomico

I believe Killzone 1 had some ellaborate reload animations.

Metro 2033 does the mag toss thing when you reload, IIRC (never played it, but I think the giantbomb guys mentioned that during the quick look)

peakish

mac said:
In real life you don't know how many bullets you have left. You just fire until it goes click-click-click. Even with a handgun it would be tough to count your bullets in a fire fight.
Red Orchestra has it all - when reloading it says whether the magazine feels heavy or light.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Najaf

mac said:
In real life you don't know how many bullets you have left. You just fire until it goes click-click-click. Even with a handgun it would be tough to count your bullets in a fire fight.

Not so. Fourth to last round in every mag I used in Iraq were tracers. I see one of those fly out and I reload ASAP. You still have three left if things are really tight, but it keeps you from running dry or guessing.

Nome

On the same subject, how many games allow you to perform a second reload when you already have a full clip to add an additional bullet into the chamber?

Now THAT's rare :lol

Booshka

KevinCow said:
Didn't Riddick do this? It's been a while since I played it, but I sorta remember it being like that.
I think Butcher Bay did on Xbox and PC, I heard that the Dark Athena re-release changed it to the usual reload system in games.

It was fun to have in that game because it made you think if you should reload before the next fight and waste some ammo, or risk the ammo to use all of the clip.

What nobody said Resident Evil Outbreak?

You gotta reload your gun bullet by bullet, one by one. Whats that got a clip of HG bullets and you want to reload them into your current clip? You can't. Gotta switch clips or load single bullets into the first clip.

It's amazing how tense it can be when you gotta reload in Outbreak. It's not like in RE4 or RE5 where your reload only takes like 0.010 secs.

John

Booshka said:
I think Butcher Bay did on Xbox and PC, I heard that the Dark Athena re-release changed it to the usual reload system in games.
oh, well it could be that. i only played the rerelease.

bdouble said:
This has been brought up before but I think a more realistic reload systen would help CoD. Slow it down just a tad and not be as spray and pray.
That would be fine if they also changed the fundamental gameplay, for the single player campaign anyway. Right now it's basically you having to sprint forward to the next checkpoint while an almost infinite number of enemies pour out from a bunch of places.

If they had less enemies that were a little smarter, a more realistic reloading system would be very cool.

Top Bottom