• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any RPGs with good crafting systems?

Besides Megaten (if Demon Fusion counts as crafting), I find crafting for the most part only really interesting in a roleplaying heavy multiplayer game. I don't play these kind of games anymore but Armageddon Mud had the best system I ever encountered.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SatelliteOfLove said:
Star Ocean 2. The interplay of crafting, skill building, out of combat tricks, and influence on battle stats was awesome.

I'm kinda getting fed up with RPGs that feel they need to have a crafting system...it usually just means a way for people to grind more for rare drops. But I've always loved the SO2 system, you can make some seriously interesting stuff in that game, and it never really felt like you needed to grind to get anywhere with it.

I find the lack of Diablo 2's Horadric Cube here disturbing, even if it was an action-rpg.

Also love the Arcanum knowledge, I sold my copy long ago but just the other day I bought a flawless copy in the case at some thrift store mixed in with old cd.

$1 bought!

Blackface

Banned
SWG had the most in-depth, amazing and fun crafting system in the history of video games. This was pre-cu. Then SOE completely destroyed the game. The only thing that compares in this thread is EVE, and even then it doesn't really come close because it's nowhere near as dynamic.

Everything else is at least three tiers behind what SWG did. EVE is maybe one or two.

NewGame

Banned
Monster Hunter.

Be warned. The grind. THE GRIND.

But once you make that giant sword that's on fire you feel really good.

Ushae

Banned
I'm playing Witcher 2 at the moment, I think it has quite a deep and rewarding crafting system for what the game offers.

WoW also springs to mind. Id recommend avoiding crafting on AC3 like the plague, its terrible lol

dropbear

Banned
256px-star_ocean_second_story1.jpg

This has to be among the absolute best.

FFIX also has a great crafting system, as does Xenoblade.

Top Bottom