• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any sports anime worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eyeshield 21 manga is astonishingly good, one of my all-time favorites, but I haven't heard much good about the anime. It's apparently kind of a crap adaptation.

30191.jpg

Dunno if nobody mention this before, but this is a good sports anime. It's the realistic version of Izuma Eleven. None of that superpowers stuff, just good ol football on the pitch. Led by one of Japan's superstars/turned Europe lower division manager. Comes back to coach the team he used to play for.

Theonik

Just gonna drop some of my favourites/few I could actually stomach here:
Ping Pong
Gundam Build Fighters
Princess Nine
Aim for the Ace

fertygo

The Eyeshield 21 manga is astonishingly good, one of my all-time favorites, but I haven't heard much good about the anime. It's apparently kind of a crap adaptation.

Both of these adaptation suffer from low budget-itis which big shame because the manga had far better visual, I suggest to enjoy the manga itself.. watching anime adaptation lose the purpose when the still medium provide better visual experience.

Slam Dunk also the same, read the manga instead.

73V3N

Banned
I was watching Kuroko but after that Aomine guy appeared it just got stupid, guess I will drop it and watch Ping Pong instead

Theonik

If people are not sold on Ping Pong I will drop its badass OP here.
Also Princess Nine.

Ro-Kyu-Bu is the best sports anime ever made and you should trust me 100%.

Dont let the little girls deceive you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5KlpdcANQ

GROWING MY DETERMINATION
RKB is kinda weird for me. Mind I have not seen it, I keep hearing that it is actually good for the sport. But the obvious lolishit turns me off... Taisho Baseball Girls falls under the same umbrella.
Also obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-2JbIdSYk

Hajime no Ippo, Big WindUp, Touch, and Cross Game are probably what I'd recommend.

Dafuq

One Outs is amazing.

One Outs is a boring show without meaningful conflict. The main character might as well be a god, everything he does works to perfection, and there is never a moment where one can doubt that he will overcome every obstacle with ease. The actual baseball is fantastical to the point of being unbelievable, and the characters are all paper-thin.

Theonik

One Outs is a boring show without meaningful conflict. The main character might as well be a god, everything he does works to perfection, and there is never a moment where one can doubt that he will overcome every obstacle with ease. The actual baseball is fantastical to the point of being unbelievable, and the characters are all paper-thin.
This is basically 90% of sports anime though.

This is basically 90% of sports anime though.

Not really. And most of them are better than One Outs, which I wouldn't call a sports anime so much as a bad thriller. Even if that's what you wanted out of a show, you'd be better off watching something like Kaiji.

Theonik

Not really. And most of them are better than One Outs, which I wouldn't call a sports anime so much as a bad thriller. Even if that's what you wanted out of a show, you'd be better off watching something like Kaiji.
But Kaiji is actually fallible and does frequently get screwed over. Akagi might be a better comparison in terms of Fukumoto's fare but even that I wouldn't describe that way.

But Kaiji is actually fallible and does frequently get screwed over. Akagi might be a better comparison in terms of Fukumoto's fare but even that I wouldn't describe that way.

I didn't mean to say that Kaiji has those flaws, just that it has more in common genre wise with One Outs than your typical sports show. And it happens to be a much better show.

Haikyuu is good, aside from the fact the players are way too good for their age, the show is very well documented and grounded. You can literally use it to understand the sport and its philosophy. The animation is pretty good too.

Soriku

The main character being a god is part of the reason why it's so good.

Despite the fact that you know he's always going to win, it's still a really entertaining show. And I thought the matches were really fun too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
seconding Slam Dunk. I havent read a manga faster than that one, took me two days to finish it. EDGE of my seat all the whole bloody time, that shit is so intense!

also, Dash Kappei! Hilarious stuff

ss-hikaru

I love sports anime! I've found that they tend to fall into two main categories: (more) down to earth or dragonball-z styled (over the top unrealistic). From what I've watched:

Down to Earth
Chihayafuru (karuta) - very interesting, good if you like romance as well.
Giant Killing (soccer) - amazing! must watch!
Haikyuu (volleyball) - animation is very dynamic, highly recommended.
Eyeshield 21 (american football) - my favourite sports series!!! but...it tends to drag in the later episodes...
Bamboo Blade (kendo) - was ok.
Free (swimming) - isn't really that sporty though. But is very entertaining XD

Ridiculous
Kuroko no Basuke - better for the humour than the basketball :p
Prince of Tennis - amusing because it's so stupid. Filler episodes are better than the tennis ones.

Ventara

Big Windup! and Ping Pong are both great, though Ping Pong leans more towards the player's competitive mindset as opposed to the intricacies of the sport. Big Windup! has it all and is super amazing, but dammit, the mangaka needs to draw faster.

Ahahaha. I demand a crossover episode between the loli girls and the OP guys in Kuroko no Basket. I still need to watch the loli basketball anime, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom