• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any sports anime worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Someone else mentioned Girls und Panzer. I thought this was moe garbage plus tanksplanesships like kancolle or strike witches or something - i dismissed it for a year or so, but when i finally saw it boy was I wrong.
Well it's sports anime dressed up as moe garbage so everybody assumes that. It's also way better than it has any right to be (though I'm sure it doesn't stack up against a lot of the suggestions in this thread).

one outs?

Tokuchi.Toua.full.1078115.jpg

nerv

Ping Pong and Ippo are exceptional, Initial D as well if you count racing as a sports anime
Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Slam Dunk and Kuroko no Basuke are great and definitely worth a watch, but really most sports anime have turned out pretty entertaining in recent history, so you can't really go wrong.

MrChom

If there is one amongst you who can watch Hajime no Ippo and genuiely say "I am not entertained" then I do not wish to meet them for such a thing is blasphemy!

Seriously, though, I don't give a damn about boxing and Hajime no Ippo has me hooked, it's one of the greatest shows I have ever watched and I cannot wait for more!

Pein

Banned
If there is one amongst you who can watch Hajime no Ippo and genuiely say "I am not entertained" then I do not wish to meet them for such a thing is blasphemy!

Seriously, though, I don't give a damn about boxing and Hajime no Ippo has me hooked, it's one of the greatest shows I have ever watched and I cannot wait for more!
Truly.

The music is fire too.

It sucks we'll never get season 2 and 3 as a physical release, I felt so bad and happy when I got all the ippo dvd's for $5 each from rightstuf.

max_505

As if it hasn't been said many times already...

go for Ping Pong: The Animation. It's recent, has a great soundtrack, and is so damn good.

Corgi

Banned
was cross game really a sports anime?

Felt more like typical slice of life, but with some baseball people around.

fertygo

Sport is the best anime genre yo

recommendation.

Ping Pong
Hajime no Ippo
Haikyuu
Ookiku furikabute
Yowamushi Pedal
Cross Game

MrChom

Oh my god, I totally forgot Hungry Heart! I loved watching that. Story of a hot headed youngster who has to learn to play as part of a team. Not the best animated, kinda predictable in places....but if you like your sports anime it's a very solid watch.

Mendrox

Must watch (right now!):

- Hajime no Ippo (insane music, good animation, hype, good story, including a movie and the best flashback ever in the latest season)

- Haikyuu (insanely good music and animation, very good story for a shounen manga, very likeable characters, many epic moment, sadly only 24 episodes right now, but second season is coming)

- Major (very very good baseball anime, season 1 is godlike each other season feels more like Rocky sequels, but are also very good - maybe hard to find?)

- Eyeshield 21 (Football anime which has many manly moments, animation is good, but the art could be way better like the manga. It still has a good story)

- Prince of Tennis (Well it's Tennis X Dragon Ball... not bad, but many filler episodes, although there are many OVAs, one movie and a sequel and more, characters are likeable, but shoujo bait)

- Yowamushi Pedal (Bicycle anime, but don't think that it's boring... Good characters, animation & art [good usage of 3D art), good soundtrack and two seasons - pacing is very good about 4-5 chapter/episode)

There are many more sports anime and I surely forgot some that I also like, but these are the ones which I remember sadly way too good, because I would like to rewatch them. Watch the first 4 episodes of each of them and you will get a "feel". :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kuroko no Basket is really good so far. Only five episodes in. It's funny how the "main" characters stand out so much when compared to the more normal people. It's like... you either look like a cool (and color coded) anime character, or a regular Japanese guy. The character design for the main cast is really striking, though, and I'm loving the "powers" that people have.

I was watching Ippo, but the sheer length of that series caused me to bench it after episode 7 or so. I'll probably watch it intermittently along with some of these other suggestions, but it's great so far! I love Ippo's goofy nature, and all of the supporting cast have been likable so far. It can get fairly technical at times, which is interesting for someone who knows next to nothing about boxing.

Anteater

I didn't like the slam dunk anime, it's not bad when it's about the drama and stuff but the actual games are bad, I remember Takehiko Inoue made fun of a basketball anime in Real and I'm convinced it's his own slam dunk anime adaptation, the manga is great though.

I think sports anime benefit the most if it's focused on drama, Touch was my favorite since childhood if you don't mind watching something from the 80s.

I've been watching ace of diamond since it's on tv over here, so far it's not so bad.

For mangas I'd recommend Slam Dunk, Rookies, and all of Adachi Mitsuru's works.

Ippo
Major (Baseball: the Epic)
Whistle! (short kid plays soccer with the big boys)
Touch (Baseball)
Cross Game (Baseball)
Diamond No Ace (Baseball)
Baby Steps (high schooler with analytical mind picks up Tennis for the first time)
Hayikuu! (short kid plays volleyball with the big boys)

For mangas I'd recommend Slam Dunk, Rookies, and all of Adachi Mitsuru's works.

THIS RIGHT HERE

googly

I really enjoyed Cross Game. It's about baseball, I highly recommend it and I'm not a fan of baseball at all.

Cerity

Is new challenger a good starting point?

Not really, there's 70 odd episodes covered in the first series and a few movies ontop of that. The majority of New Challenger doesn't even cover Ippo, the bigger focus is on Miyata and Takamura.

The first series is pure hype though, very much worth going out of your way to watch it.

Finalow

Ping Pong.

but also Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk/Haikyu!! and Eyeshield 21. I've read the manga of those so I'm not too sure about the anime but they were all good, especially the first one, even if you don't like boxing at all, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom