• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we ever going to see another Advance Wars?

Thores

After thinking about it, the main problem with Advance Wars' future is probably this: their games are generally developed by Intelligent Systems, and their lineup of IPs to pick from when developing a new game is pretty incredible:

Fire Emblem
Paper Mario
Wario Ware

Among a couple of others. I would really love to see a new Advance Wars game happen for the 3DS, but honestly if I had to choose I'd pick Paper Mario and Wario Ware to happen first. And I like Fire Emblem about equally.

I still really hope new Advance Wars will happen at some point in the future, but even ignoring the series' diminishing sales and Japan giving less and less of a shit about it, it's pretty clear that IntSys would have different priorities either way.

Refugio

After thinking about it, the main problem with Advance Wars' future is probably this: their games are generally developed by Intelligent Systems, and their lineup of IPs to pick from when developing a new game is pretty incredible:

Fire Emblem
Paper Mario
Wario Ware

Among a couple of others. I would really love to see a new Advance Wars game happen for the 3DS, but honestly if I had to choose I'd pick Paper Mario and Wario Ware to happen first. And I like Fire Emblem about equally.

I still really hope new Advance Wars will happen at some point in the future, but even ignoring the series' diminishing sales and Japan giving less and less of a shit about it, it's pretty clear that IntSys would have different priorities either way.

Not really much overlap between the Advance Wars and WarioWare teams at IntSys tbh, so I doubt that series would hold it back. Last one didn't really sell amazing either anyway, though it did have a different focus.

Unsurprisingly Advance Wars games share a lot of the same staff as Fire Emblem games. iirc the writer of Days of Ruin went on to direct the second DS Fire Emblem, while the director did DQ Wars. They probably want to focus on building up the Fire Emblem fanbase in Japan right now, but I'm sure they'll get back to Advance Wars soon enough. It stills sells more in the west I think. Obviously not enough to overcome the nonexistent Japan sales, but they probably still make money off of the games. Oh God I hope they do.

iirate

The day that we stop getting Advance Wars games will be a sad one. It is easily my favorite strategy franchise (and I say that as a fan of the genre), although I wasn't a fan of DoR's aesthetic. The game was great fun though, and the best balanced of the series (at least the 4 I've played). Still, ideally, we'd see a return to the setting of the 3 before it.

Okay, this thread convinced me to dig out my copy of BHR to see if my judgment of DoR's campaign was too harsh. In the regular campaign, I'm up to Yellow Comet and the first 4* mission is the first mild challenge. I want to say this is just before the halfway point of BHR's campaign. Considering I didn't feel like I was tested at all for the first 2/3rds of DoR's campaign, I still feel it's easier than BHR's.

However, the 2* and 3* missions in Blue Moon and Yellow Comet are easier than I remember. So for now, I'll concede that my judgment of DoR's "piss easy" campaign is overstated a bit - probably because I was still grinding out S-Ranks in BHR's War Room right up until I started playing DoR.

DoR's lack of a hard campaign / War Room is still inexcusable though

Days of Ruin was by far the shittiest, you guys are insane. Black Hole Rising is probably the best, but Dual Strike was really great as well.

Ra1den

So for now, I'll concede that my judgment of DoR's "piss easy" campaign is overstated a bit - probably because I was still grinding out S-Ranks in BHR's War Room right up until I started playing DoR.

heh, that may have something to do with it.

I think it's pretty much universally agreed on that DoR isn't as challenging as AW1 or AW2(other than the final campaign mission...hardest AW campaign map EVER), I certainly had that feeling when playing it. But I still found the campaign to require careful thinking and strategy, and overall I found them to be more fun than the ones in AW1 or AW2.

Cactus

Banned
I think we'll see another Advance Wars. The franchise isn't one that Nintendo needs to rush out the door, so it may be a while yet.

Shaffield

Days of Ruin was by far the shittiest, you guys are insane. Black Hole Rising is probably the best, but Dual Strike was really great as well.

totally agreed. I've poured well over 150 hours into Dual Strike, through working on S Ranks, completing the very challenging Hard Campaign, and just straight up practice and competitive play with friends.

not to mention the glory that is MULTI-PLAYER COMBAT MODE. Dual Strike just has vastly more to offer than DoR.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like getting a GBA emu so I can play the first two installments.
I actually searched around and got them off eBay, but I don't know if they're still out there. I hate when there doesn't seem to be feasible legal ways left to play games. Fortunately I still have a DS lite too, so the GBA carts work.

The GBA games look nice on the DS.

I would kill for a translation of Super Famicom Wars. It's even better than the GBA games.. or so I hear.

Tom_Cody

What are GAF's general thoughts on the Battalion Wars series? Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question since the two series are so different, but I am curious to hear what Advance Wars fans have to say.

I haven't played a second of either of the games but Battalion Wars Wii has been calling out to me since it was released. Something about it just seems really appealing to me.

turnbuckle

I wish, although I'm in the camp that had more fun with Dual Strike and Advance Wars 2 than Days of Ruin. Days of Ruin may have been more balanced but it never seemed very difficult to get 3 stars or A+ (can't remember the rating system off the top of my head) on most of the maps. There was just a lot more variety in Dual Strike and many variables available to the user to make many of the maps feel fresh for a long time. The "mature" theme in Days of Ruin felt cheesy to me; I preferred the more self-aware cheesiness and charm of the original style better.

King_Moc

Banned
I think Advance wars is at the point where there isn't too much that will be done to push the franchise forward each iteration and we'll just see one release per portable platform that Nintendo release. Kinda like Mario Kart i guess. But without the sales.

Ezalc

I like Advance Wars a lot better than FE. FE scratches my story itch, but AW was a way better tactical game. Multiplayer was also a lot of fun. Hope Nintendo brings this back someday. =(

Disagree completely with this statement. I'm probably biased in that I played a lot more FE and only like half an hour of one AW game, but I didn't like the mechanics of AW at all. I suppose it's only because it kind of feels like a very limited version of an RTS game. It's about big conflicts and all your units are just generic grunts and vehicles barring whatever commander you're using. FE tends to be more about small conflicts but your units all have a distinct feature/personality, which not only is better with regards for story as you said but with tactical gameplay since if one of them dies you actually care about it unlike in AW where you basically just send them as sacrifices until you can win or something.

abusori

I guess I'm a bit weird in that Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are both probably my favorite two series ever, despite me being mostly a pc gamer. I replay at least three FE games a year, and I've played so much multiplayer on Days of Ruin that it probably puts my TF2 and Killing Floor hours combined to shame. I can only hope for the best future for both series, and I definitely hope that there's a new Advance Wars.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think Advance wars is at the point where there isn't too much that will be done to push the franchise forward each iteration and we'll just see one release per portable platform that Nintendo release. Kinda like Mario Kart i guess. But without the sales.

Maybe, but both Fire Emblem and the "Wars" franchises haven't seemed to changed much since their original Famicom releases. I don't think they're series that they are only done if they feel they can bring new ideas to the table.

I mean, I prefer Nectaris' ~ Military Madness's hexagonal system better than Advance Wars's grid system, but I wouldn't mind seeing either game on the 3DS (or Vita!).

BTW, I love R-Type Tactics I and II, too ^__^

Blizzard

Banned
I know a lot of strategy games probably use no grid or the hex grid, but if anyone does like the Advance Wars style grid and gameplay, I'm working on making a small-scale turn-based strategy game in that style with the eventual pipe dream of selling it on Steam.

And if I ever get a prototype going, it would be good to have some people to help playtest down the line, so I should probably bookmark this thread. :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Fire Emblem
Paper Mario
Wario Ware

WarioWare is only co-developed by Intelligent Systems. And considering Kiki Trick was purely done by Nintendo SPD (like the original WarioWare). I think IS is done assisting Nintendo SPD with the WarioWare series.

Man, I had forgotten how awesomely varied BHR's campaign mode was compared to DoR's. Instead of "kill all enemy units or capture their HQ" on nearly every map, there's all sorts of timed objectives like "survive for X number of days against a far stronger enemy" or "defeat the enemy in Y number of days." Then there's the "don't let an enemy unit reach your HQ" and the reverse of that. And "destroy/deactivate some crazy weapon of mass destruction the enemy is building".

They really should bring back some of these more creative win conditions to the campaign of the next AW.

Top Bottom