• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Women Too Hard To Animate? Tropes vs Women in Video Games

9HEIQGp.jpg

Since the begining.
(that is USA version, the japanese one might be NSFW : http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=958309 )

In the Japanese version the girl that Gillian walks in on is only 14 years old, and earlier in the scene he is sniffing her panties and commenting on how nice it smells. In the English version, they cut out the panties and change her age to 18.

WTF?! How is this allowed?

It is interesting because both Snatcher and Policenauts were not originally created for the home console market. They were originally Japanese PC games that were designed for personal computers like the PC-8801 and PC-9821. They were part of a sub genre of visual novels that were designed for older audiences that were into ecchi/ perverted content. Really a sub market that is not all that different from the visual novel scene that we have now. I think these games were really designed to have that appeal in Japan because there was a market for it.

Hideo was part of that scene, and it is something that carried over with him when he made the jump from being a PC developer to a console developer. You can see it all over the place in the MGS series.

Dipper145

Also it's funny people are rolling out the "but women are extra work", when they're just as much work as male cycles, and it's just as much work to animate all the unique enemies in the game. Need to add a spider enemy? Sure fine whatever. 8 legs and needing to transition between 4 surfaces ain't no thang. Woman playable character? Shit that's "double" the work! You're stressing the animators out!

I understand and agree with the position that female characters in games should be included more. There has been a marked improvement in recent years from some studios, having choices of the main character being both male or female. But with animations it's not always as easy as just plopping in a different looking humanoid character (although it can be in many instances)

However, I'd imagine that companies base their choice on main playable character on market research on their target demographic. As such if it shows little financial benefit to including a female playable character they have little to no impetus to include one. Aside from the increasing societal norms of inclusion of all races and genders in all forms of media.

Strides have been made improving the way women are portrayed in video games in recent years, but there is obviously a lot of work to be done. Personally, I'd like to see more marked improvement towards not stereotyping non-white-male roles in games.

SomTervo

You can argue MGS5 is misogynistic, sure, as are many movies, books and other forms of fantasy. My point wasn't fiction can't be misogynistic, or I didn't mean to convey that. Instead where I take offence is to calling Kojima a misogynist without proof from the real world that's how he treats or views women. I don't know the guy personally, but I haven't seen any reports about him treating women badly, his staff and in general he's always seemed like a decent, fairly humble guy in front of the media.

The fact that you're using the word 'misogynistic' shows that you don't really know what you're talking about here. You seem to be talking in absolutes - either someone is a total paragon of society and equality or is a misogynist. It's more complicated than that:

Misogyny is the active hatred of women. Active being the operative word. It means to subscribe to negative thoughts about women and genuinely hate them or believe them inferior for whatever reason.

What Quiet, Paz, and the other women betray in Kojima's work isn't misogyny. If he was a misogynist they wouldn't be in his games at all, or would be portrayed very differently. Kojima clearly doesn't hate women - what his portrayals betrays is structural sexism. Structural sexism isn't an active action (like misogyny), it's a cultural pattern. It's something people aren't even aware of.

Kojima just writes/creates these women as he sees fit - indeed, I'm sure he means well and intends them to be positively portrayed characters. But once he finishes them, they turn out to be wafer-thin, oversexualised beings who are treated very differently from the male characters in many ways. This betrays (again on an arguably subconscious level) how Kojima sees women. That they aren't equal to men. That being scantily clad and sexy is somehow justified (while it's not for men). Etc. Again - this is structural; he's not literally thinking "women aren't equal to men" - he's just creating female characters in the image his mind conjures. And it's a very unequal portrayal.

Almost every fixed cam professional video you see has a prompter being used. It keeps your video on time. She still has to put together the words and research.

I know that 99% of broadcasters or presenters use autocue - but the crux of my point was how detached Anita seems about it a lot of the time. Also 1. I'm pretty sure a team research and write these, and 2. if you watch her very early videos - where she was researching and writing them 100% herself - her arguments are generally very poor, selective and misrepresentative. I still love her message but the quality used to be really bad. The more specific and accurate the videos have become, the more monotonous and distant her tone seems to have become. I legit don't think she knows about half the games/stuff she talks about.

it's crazy

the differences of Japan and the US is in terms of Sex vs Violence

We have games where you can rip out the intestines in super ultra graphic detail of female characters vs a boob poke in a retro game is shocking.

Are you suggesting the boob poke is less problematic?

So, my YouTube recommended I watch the below today. Holy Hell. I haven't waded at all into gamer gate, or any of the craziness that has been occurring/occurred the last year or two. But watching this Daz fellow react to Feminist Frequency makes me want to break my monitor. Are people out there really this dense and stupid?

Daz Reacts To Feminist Frequency

Top Bottom