• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you disheartened by modern anime? Why havent you watched Ping Pong the Animation?

I only avatar quoted you to let people understand who is saying that the show is "ugly" someone with a colourful anime little girl avatar, which is exactly the reason why a lot of people don't like modern anime.

If you don't like it, then it's a win for me

You still look like a massive tool when you do it.

As you do when you go out of your way to bash everything that's not PPtA in the OP.

Don't do that.

Clov

I am disheartened by modern anime and I have watched Ping Pong.

I wish there are more anime like Ping Pong.

If you really enjoyed Ping-Pong, I'd recommend taking a look at the director's other anime, like The Tatami Galaxy.

In case anyone's curious about what the director (Masaaki Yuasa) is up to, he's currently making a reboot of Devilman, which will be streamed worldwide on Netflix in 2018.

Matt_C

When reading this thread, I found out that Ping Pong: The Animation is not a remake of

Ping-Pong-Club.jpg

The Ping Pong Club. Back in the day, I was not interested in seeing the Ping Pong Club since it was not highly looked upon the fandom back then.

I may want to check out Ping Pong: The Animation On Crunchyroll and is the live action film any good?

Is The Ping Pong Club worth checking out Anime Gaf? I turned around and embraced Gross out humor animated humor from Rick and Morty and South Park compared to my snobbish College days.

If you really enjoyed Ping-Pong, I'd recommend taking a look at the director's other anime, like The Tatami Galaxy.

In case anyone's curious about what the director (Masaaki Yuasa) is up to, he's currently making a reboot of Devilman, which will be streamed worldwide on Netflix in 2018.
Oh cool, will keep a look out for that.

RM8

You're not making me watch anime but I have to admit people look like people in this one, so that's something.

Rewatching again the editing of this show is flawless and how they visually portray depth. Also little things like Robot sounds when Smiles is wiping his glasses. This anime is A+

The people on NeoGAF who are "disheartened by modern anime" are the types who want to see manly men smacking the crap out of eachother, not the arthouse crowd that would appreciate Ping Pong and its expressive visual symbolism.

2014 had three really great series for me, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between Ping Pong/Shirobako/Space Dandy. I'd agree that the only show since then on the same level has been Rakugo, and potentially 3-gatsu no Lion with its second season.

petran79

Banned
The people on NeoGAF who are "disheartened by modern anime" are the types who want to see manly men smacking the crap out of eachother, not the arthouse crowd that would appreciate Ping Pong and its expressive visual symbolism.

For decades anime was mostly seen and rather is as cheap TV entertainment, currently being affected by the economic crisis. Arthouse anime never had this issue due to different production and distribution methods.

Aters

Modern anime is not that bad. I think people watch anime too much so they gotta bump into some shit shows. Watch one or two series a year, and you can avoid the shit pretty easily.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Modern anime is not that bad. I think people watch anime too much so they gotta bump into some shit shows. Watch one or two series a year, and you can avoid the shit pretty easily.

The reason modern anime seems particularly bad IMO is because we have so much supply these days. 15 years ago, only series that were really good/popular would ever get translated. These days, a lot of trash makes it over, since its simulcasted and its hard to know ahead of time how good/bad something will be.

Like one thing I can think of off hand, Crunchyroll clearly expected Big Order to turn out well with how much they pushed it early on, and that show ended up being hot garbage.

Xe4

Banned
It's definetly on my "I really want to watch but haven't gotten around to it" list along with like a hundred other animated things.

I'll probably give this a go to hype myself up for Lu Over the Wall. I love me some styalized animation and Masaaki Yuasa is pretty much the master of it at the moment.

Also, people who aren't into animation have a difficult time telling good animation from animation they just don't like. This animation is fucking fantastic, undeniably. Whether you like it is personal preference, of course.

I wholeheartedly support the avatar quotes in this thread. I find it strange how unique style and animation seem to hurt the eyes of fans of typical modern anime styles.

I wholeheartedly support the avatar quotes in this thread. I find it strange how unique style and animation seem to hurt the eyes of fans of typical modern anime styles.

I dont even try anymore. More often than not I tried to recommend stuff like Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy to people who want to get into more serious anime, but then see the artstyle and say "its ugly" or "it doesnt look like "anime"", whatever that means...

flawfuls

There are a lot of reasons to recommend this show, but good animation is not really one of them.

90% of the time this show is disappointingly low budget. The show masks this well enough with good direction an interesting art style, but it's a pretty big step down from other Yuusa shows like Tatami Galaxy or Kaiba and the other Matsumoto Taiyo adaptation Tekkon Kinkreet (though it's not very fair to compare a movie to a TV series)

The other 10% of the time the show looks incredible and it picks these moments well, but that's also sort of a reminder of what could have been.

Despite all my complaints is still one of the best anime of all time. The powerful character drama and great writing are what make Ping Pong great and the great direction, sound design and pacing make a great adaptation despite the low budget.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hold up, how has Tekkonkinkreet not been mentioned yet?
Like Ping Pong, it's an adaptation of a Taiyou Matsumoto manga.

It's very different from Ping Pong I wouldn't really recommend one for a fan of the other.

2014 had three really great series for me, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between Ping Pong/Shirobako/Space Dandy. I'd agree that the only show since then on the same level has been Rakugo, and potentially 3-gatsu no Lion with its second season.
I just don't want fanservice shit if I'm gonna watch an anime, not hypermasculine or whatever. That's the first point the OP makes.

Best thing i've seen on tv for quite a while. Structurally the show is pretty ingenious in how it shifts perspectives. Episode 10 is one of the most unique things I've seen on a visual medium. As Peco releases Kazama from his burden, if you're not smiling like he is

TlxUE8F.jpg

something is wrong with you.

The hero appears to enlighten us all.

Triteon

It looks generic as hell. I don't see the dozen times better. Its imagery is not as memorable as Ping Pong.

horriblesubs-ping-pong-the-animation-02-720p-mkv_snapshot_16-19_2014-04-18_14-19-14.jpg

ping-Pong.jpg

iqDCUeP.png

The visuals are striking and the whole thing has a shit load of style but a lot of the aspects of those stills look bad. Those lockers lack detail and clarity and everything is squiggly like Dr Katz or Home Movies.

Also the bald guy looks like shit.

The visuals are striking and the whole thing has a shit load of style but a lot of the aspects of those stills look bad. Those lockers lack detail and clarity and everything is squiggly like Dr Katz or Home Movies.

Also the bald guy looks like shit.
That would only be an issue if the art style was going for photorealism, but it's going for minimalism.

Drinkel

The music in this is also very fun

This show along with Princess Jellyfish kind of reignited my interest in anime. Didn't know they came out at the same time.

KazenY2J

That or they're Miyazaki fanatics.

Elfstar

That or they're Miyazaki fanatics.

To be honest, there's also people bored by all the mediocre-to-bad moeblob/harem/fujobait stuff coming out in droves every season.

I'm not saying that there isn't still good stuff from time to time, though.

If there was a hipster anime gaf member, this short paragraph would sum them up.

KillLaCam

Banned
It was entertaining . I'd reccomend it to anyone, Just becuase of how it looks lol.

But I'm still waiting on a new Dark-ish anime like Monster, Shigurui or Ghost In The Shell (not arise)

Alot of shows have some similar themes but then they have bright and happy art styles that kinda throw it off.
?? But there's still modern anime with men smacking the crap out of each other. Sure it's not Fist of the North star level but it's still there

I can not with good conscious support the OP with suggesting someone watch this badly written anime. There are many literary mistakes with Ping Pong anime that make many other offerings in the modern sports anime genre shine (Ginga E Kickoff!!, Haikyuu!!, Free!, Dive!!) Ping Pong doesnt even have an exclamation mark in the name so you know it has writing mistakes at the core.

Ping pong is so infuriating with how the writer has handled key cast members. Ill never forget it.

?? But there's still modern anime with men smacking the crap out of each other. Sure it's not Fist of the North star level but it's still there

Whenever you see anime hate threads on GAF, they are almost always full of people complaining about the lack of classic Toonami-style dark action shows. I don't think it's about the quality as much as it is the specific type of show they want. Like, I'm sure the vast majority of complainers wouldn't be willing to give Made In Abyss a chance purely because of the character designs.

Top Bottom