• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you disheartened by modern anime? Why havent you watched Ping Pong the Animation?

Clov

SMH at all the people calling the art style bad.

Literally the best anime of the last several years. I give it my highest recommendation.

Savitar

not denying that, it's easy to produce garbage anime.

You're legit missing out on one of the best character driven pieces of media ever made. I can't say that your tastes and preferences are wrong, but remember, this show is not about Ping Pong, it's about the role of competition in peoples lives and how that motivates them. If you don't like expertly crafted character, then idk what you will like

Not saying it's bad, but it's not something I care to really bother with. It's probably a great show with good characters, but it doesn't necessarily mean I enjoy that particular anime.

I mean, do you want to see my account on Kitsu? I've completed around 1200 titles so far. I don't think me not watching enough anime is the issue here.

Sorry this isn't MHA or whatever.
No need to attack My GOAT Academia in order to praise Ping Pong.

Ping Pong is brilliant and I've been hard pressed to find anything recent that surpasses it. Can't believe the people shitting on the art style either. It just looks so fluid and realistic.

Clov

No need to attack My GOAT Academia in order to praise Ping Pong.

Maybe that was uncalled for, but I'm not trying to say it's bad. It's definitely not for me, but what I'm trying to say is that shows like that aren't the be all and end all of what anime can and should be. It's a really diverse medium, much more than what many people would think based on what ends up being the most popular.

Theonik

But where is mah Moe?
2017-09-20.bmp
Ask and you shall receive.
Mhm

Eh the list loses some credibility with kill la kill being higher than parasyte? Seriously...
Parasyte was trash. KLK was trash. Can't win them all.

wandering

Banned
Ping Pong is great and all, but the tone of the OP sucks and there's plenty of anime out there that you can put on the same level. Take for example Chihayafuru: that show can be moe as fuck but it's just as impactful as anything in Ping Pong and it looks about a dozen times better. The soundtrack is also god tier.

Don't make Ping Pong out to be something it's not. It's a good show. Leave it at that. No need to declare it the savior of anime or something.

Chihayafuru looks like any other pastel-colored, sparkly romance anime.

Clov

Can y'all list some?

The best has probably been Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It's an anime about the life of a rakugo performer (a traditional form of Japanese storytelling). It has two seasons, and it's actually pretty brilliant and well directed.

I'd also recommend the second season of Mushishi, which aired in the same season as Ping-Pong. If you're not familiar with it, it's the episodic stories of a man named Ginko, who deals with strange beings referred to as "mushi". Despite the supernatural premise, it really focuses on the lives of the people who are affected by the mushi. It's very laid back, but very interesting.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
One of my all time favorites, those last 2 matches. Love this anime and it's beautifully unique style.

That is bad advice for anyone in any situation.

Also he's right.

No anime since ping pong has been good.

Can y'all list some?

I'm not going to say they're all sure to satisfy anyone who enjoys Ping Pong, but the following are very well made anime that have come out since:

Anthem of the Heart
Fafner Exodus
Garo the Animation (and Garo: Divine Flame)
Kaze no Matasaburou
Mushishi Zoku Sho
Shashinkan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
A Silent Voice
When Marnie Was There

That would be the short list I'd have of the best anime since Ping Pong, I think.

exhume

It's not the style per se of Ping Pong that puts me off, but the shaky looks-like-MS-Paint-with-a-trackball-mouse lines that irk me. I watched the whole show, was initially engrossed but found towards the end that I was finding excuses to look at things other than the screen.

I loved it. Funniest anime I've seen ever too. The jokes in here really landed for me

Whereas normally I don't think anime tends to nail that aspect

Ping Pong is great and all, but the tone of the OP sucks and there's plenty of anime out there that you can put on the same level. Take for example Chihayafuru: that show can be moe as fuck but it's just as impactful as anything in Ping Pong and it looks about a dozen times better. The soundtrack is also god tier.

Don't make Ping Pong out to be something it's not. It's a good show. Leave it at that. No need to declare it the savior of anime or something.
"Chihayafuru looks about a dozen times better"
chihaya_9_7.jpg

chihayafuru-club-recruitment.jpg

Chihayafuru-12-Large-33-1024x576.jpg

It looks generic as hell. I don't see the dozen times better. Its imagery is not as memorable as Ping Pong.
dad3826977fd5118785ca1db38d92134907aa038_hq.gif

pingpong-still.jpg

horriblesubs-ping-pong-the-animation-02-720p-mkv_snapshot_16-19_2014-04-18_14-19-14.jpg

ping-Pong.jpg

iqDCUeP.png

c65ud9Y.jpg

You sold me, OP. I'll check it out!

Also, regarding the people saying it's the worst/ugliest thing they've ever seen: the more unique something is in it's style, the more divisive it will be. This is nothing new. Generic, inoffensive blandness is always going to appeal to the highest number of people, unfortunately.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm about as much anti-anime as a human being can rationally be. The art style in this got me very interested though. I've watched the clips below, and actually liked it. It has some anime-isms that still tick me off a bit, but it is something I actually want to continue watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSuAhbtIFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpQOzYvb5g

Also characters - cocky high-level Chinese player, seemingly stuck in Japan, where he doesn't even want to be. Just so much potential for drama :)

The art style looks cooler than like anything that would normally be called to anime to me. I may have to check it out. reminds me a little bit of MTV's Aeon Flux

Nuts2U

Any female main characters in this? I mainly watch anime with my wife, and while I'm super interested, she likes shows with at least one female perspective.

Lynd7

People who initially dislike the art style for Ping Pong, once you get into it, you will definitely get over it/used to it. Gives it a fluid realistic feeling.

Show is absolutely a masterpiece.

Jarate

Banned
Any female main characters in this? I mainly watch anime with my wife, and while I'm super interested, she likes shows with at least one female perspective.

There's 2 women characters, The old lady who owns the old ping pong gym the kids play at, and another younger woman whos an interesting character, but not really all that important to the show.

Macka

Fantastic show. Watched it a few months ago, and then started Episode 1 again the very next day. The characters develop really well.

The amount of people in this thread writing it off because of the art style is pretty embarrassing tbh. It's just like being a graphics whore for games.

Nuts2U

There's 2 women characters, The old lady who owns the old ping pong gym the kids play at, and another younger woman whos an interesting character, but not really all that important to the show.

Shame. She'll probably be okay with giving it a try, but this will likely be one I watch on my own.

Do I care for much modern anime?

No.

Do I care about this series?

No.

Why?

The animation style as it is portrayed here and the subject matter. I couldn't care less.

Life is going to be a huge fucking bummer if you write off everything that makes you uncomfortable.

Ping Pong is one of the best narrative experience I’ve ever had. It’s absolutely incredible, and no matter how you feel about animation or anime it deserves your attention. “It’s not for me” is just bullshit that prevents you from living.

Blues1990

Animation Demo Reel for Ping Pong.

What I find most impressive about this show is that it was mostly produced in Adobe Flash (with several scenes keyed with traditional animation technques). While it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel with the software (you can see the use of shape tweens, motion tweens, symbols, etc.), they use those techniques to achieve results that don't look anything like the conventional western production you'd normally see. The combination of keyframed tweens and using the distortion trick within the symbol is quite clever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Animation Demo Reel for Ping Pong.

What I find most impressive about this show is that it was mostly produced in Adobe Flash (with several scenes keyed with traditional animation technques). While it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel with the software (you can see the use of shape tweens, motion tweens, symbols, etc.), they use those techniques to achieve results that don't look anything like the conventional western production you'd normally see. The combination of keyframed tweens and using the distortion trick within the symbol is quite clever.
This is a video advertisement for Vimeo Pro...

I DON'T LIKE SPORTS ANIME, SO CLEARLY I WILL NOT ENJOY THIS

Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo, Eyeshield 21, Haikyuu, Free, and Captain Tsubasa (Super Campeones is the first sports anime I've watched) are good. Hell, even Prince of Tennis is good too. I..just didn't like this one.

Top Bottom