• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you embarrassed of being a gaffer?

phanphare

Banned
no I'm quite proud to be honest

NeoGAF is a great community. sometimes people can take the video game shit too seriously but when I started coming to off topic more I started to really appreciate this community. we're a bunch of diverse, knowledgeable, and above all else good people. I hate to word it like this because it could come off like I'm against dissension or different points of view or whatever but whenever there's a thread about current events or something like that the majority of the people in the thread hold an opinion that I would consider to be correct. maybe there's a better way to phrase that but that's how I feel. shit can get heated sometimes (shout out to the democratic primary threads) but you can tell even in the heat of an argument that the vast majority of the people who post here are good people that mean well regardless.

not to get all corny but I think everyone involved in making NeoGAF what it is deserves some praise. our overlord of course, all the mods, and all the posters too. as far as discussing shit on the internet goes NeoGAF is the gold standard.

This forum is one of the most professional community I've been. Yea there some jerks and trolls here and there. But besides that this is by far one of my fav places to talk.

Izuna

Banned
I was at a GAF meet with you, you brought along your laptop and opened it in the first bar to play an emulator or Pokemon Go or some shit.

That made me feel bad.

From what I remember. EVERYONE else played Pokemon Go and I didn't because I had a Windows Phone.

And there was a dude who opened up a portable charger to check how the PCB was.

RPGCrazied

Nope. Since I have no friends in real life, this place I can feel like I'm around people that share interests as me and allows me to talk about it. I don't have that in real life.

Not

Banned
Some people can't even get accounts, or got banned after their second post. 🤗 This is effectively a privilege

I bet more people want to post on GAF then there are GAF accounts

DrKelpo

Banned
that's my backpack, so no.

ODzlZ3i.jpg

that being said, this forum basically never comes up in any conversation.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
GAF is great I don't see why one should be embarassed, I actually want a GAF logo shirt.

Solid moderation
Helpful community
Sunhi Legend Gifs
Up-to-date news
Great discussions
Hilarious topics/posts

Absolutely.

I clear it from the history of any computer I use that's not mine. I hide avatars and images because of the embarrassing amount of anime shit on here. I'll usually try to shield the screen from anyone's view so they don't see the logo at the top and google it.

Most of my friends have never been on gaf or really know what it is. Much less random people on the effing street/work place.

So no, I'm not embarrassed by something a small amount of people know or care about.

Nope, its the one place I can enjoy talking about my hobby. My brother isnt always around to talk on Discord and my wife doesn't give a hoot about video games really. I just have you guys and thats great.

Azzanadra

Not embarrassed of GAF itself rather the implication that comes with it, that I am so into videogames I actively post on a videogame forums.... Eesh

I'm embarrassed whenever I read the weekly 'crap on Bill Maher' threads, and other politically charged threads where some posters try to out-outrage each other, and then try to gaf-splain identity politics, racism, or the normalization of abhorrent behavior to other posters, but just about every other aspect of this site is cool.

Toki767

Not sure any of my friends even know what GAF is.

One time a friend saw me on my phone looking here and asked if I was on Reddit.

That seemed more embarrassing.

Nick_C

Nah, I'm pretty much the same person here as I am in life off of GAF. I have nothing to be embarrassed about here, or vice versa. Though sometimes my posts do come off a little more abrasive than I intend, but a lot of nuance is lost in written word. Hell, my dog is watching me post this right now, and I don't think he cares one bit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think anyone gives a shit that I post on internet forums .. nor would I if someone else told me they were a gaffer or gamefaqer etc.

Short answer; no.

Long answer; no. I've been a long avid reader of Neogaf for several years now, just last month ago I was finally able to register an account here and I've been feeling good since then. Neogaf has a community like no other and I appreciate this forums to remain clean and healthy to be in at all times.

SURGEdude

Yes. But only for the gaming side. It's still the best gaming forum around though. The problem is most people on the outside only know the gaming side and don't realize what they're missing.

Takyon

I've found that just using "boards" or "forums is weird these days.
A mate of mine in a university class brought it up in a discussion and everyone looked confused.

WoolyNinja

Nope - not embarrassed. Every time I meet a fellow gamer I mention GAF and surprisingly nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Diablos

I've found that just using "boards" or "forums is weird these days.
A mate of mine in a university class brought it up in a discussion and everyone looked confused.
Forums are definitely a relic in the age of social media. It does feel kind of weird. But in some ways this was better.
Everyone being joined at the hip with their FB and Twitter is kind of depressing when you take a step back for a moment.

Forums are definitely a relic in the age of social media. It does feel kind of weird. But in some ways this was better.
Everyone being joined at the hip with their FB and Twitter is kind of depressing when you take a step back for a moment.

Yes, tis why I limit my social media and primarily use one out of the many out there, which is deemed to be Twitter. The rest I will not use. I truly do adore the functions of forums, simply because I am old fashion like that hehe.

Top Bottom