• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona sucks 😡

• Thread starter Deleted member 713885
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
(Hmm..photos not showing up?..ugh)
This damn state is SO AMAZING..now I hate being home!🤣🤣

Got on the plane from Philly at 5pm
anded in Phoenix Thur. night (the 31st)

Hopped in my convertible Camero (this was a terrible idea...it was 50 degrees the whole time...)
Stopped at the Circle K to set up my Google Maps for the journey. Sitting on the side on the Circle K and watch a Mexican (maybe Indian?) dude, 3ft from my car sell 2 scruffy white kids with book bags on Meth (I'm saying its Meth because I figure I'm in Meth land?) Ah, just like Philly, city shit dont change!

and... we are headed north!

Stopped in Camp Verde on day 1 to sleep.

Day 2.
Off to Montezumas Castle!

Then, off to Meteor Crater!

We're not done yet!
Time for the Painted Desert!

End day 2 sleeping in Flagstaf...exhausted.

Day 3!

Get up, time to make that drive North!

Grand Canyon!!

Make our way North East to Cameron and have the WORSE dinner ever at Cameron Trading Post 🤮
The drive down Rt. 89 tho is AMAZING!
But in the dead of dark, mountains and desert on both sides...little shacks with tiny lights scattered in the black A GOD DAMN DOG RUNS OUT IN FRONT OF ME!! Scary but hilarious, and thankful I missed him!

Heading down 89 and finally reach Page.
Sleep here for the night.

Day 4!

Wake up, and they are having hot air balloon get togethers in the middle of town!

First stop...Antelope Canyon!

WOW!

It's time to backtrack a bit, have some time till the next tour.

So, its, Horse Shoe Canyon!

Have to keep moving!!

It's time for...Monument Valley (saw Utah for 6.7 seconds on the way there!)

STUNNING!

Time to make that drive back tho. 6 hours to Phoenix, 3 hours to Flagstaff..
End up staying in Flagstafd for the night

Day 5!

Wake up in Flagstaff, take the drive to Phoenix.
Have to make a stop in Scottsdale tho..
Have to do ONE last thing before my flight at 11pm..

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸AMERICA!!!!!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

(Didnt get a pic of the 1911 😢)

Guy at the counter "Where you from"
Me "New Jersey"
Guy at the counter "Welcome to freedom"
*handshake*
*inner me, tears. Penis +3 inches*

Eat some food, drop off car, head to airport.
On plane at 11.
Sleep like a baby..

Back home!

Fucking GLORIOUS TRIP.

10 out of 10.

Cost me, with 2 people, around $1500-$2000 tops. Not bad at all. Could have saved a bunch (that stupid car was $400...) Found numerous motel deals and snacked along the way cheaply (one restaurant stop, it fucking sucked..do not do)

I dont get how the locals even drive around without being an awe of the place.
Once I was about 90min outside of Phoenix it was absolutely beautiful in every direction..

So, where should I go in the Spring?!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Hmm..photos not showing up?..ugh)
This damn state is SO AMAZING..now I hate being home!🤣🤣

Got on the plane from Philly at 5pm
anded in Phoenix Thur. night (the 31st)

Hopped in my convertible Camero (this was a terrible idea...it was 50 degrees the whole time...)
Stopped at the Circle K to set up my Google Maps for the journey. Sitting on the side on the Circle K and watch a Mexican (maybe Indian?) dude, 3ft from my car sell 2 scruffy white kids with book bags on Meth (I'm saying its Meth because I figure I'm in Meth land?) Ah, just like Philly, city shit dont change!

and... we are headed north!

Stopped in Camp Verde on day 1 to sleep.

Day 2.
Off to Montezumas Castle!

Then, off to Meteor Crater!

We're not done yet!
Time for the Painted Desert!

End day 2 sleeping in Flagstaf...exhausted.

Day 3!

Get up, time to make that drive North!

Grand Canyon!!

Make our way North East to Cameron and have the WORSE dinner ever at Cameron Trading Post 🤮
The drive down Rt. 89 tho is AMAZING!
But in the dead of dark, mountains and desert on both sides...little shacks with tiny lights scattered in the black A GOD DAMN DOG RUNS OUT IN FRONT OF ME!! Scary but hilarious, and thankful I missed him!

Heading down 89 and finally reach Page.
Sleep here for the night.

Day 4!

Wake up, and they are having hot air balloon get togethers in the middle of town!

First stop...Antelope Canyon!

WOW!

It's time to backtrack a bit, have some time till the next tour.

So, its, Horse Shoe Canyon!

Have to keep moving!!

It's time for...Monument Valley (saw Utah for 6.7 seconds on the way there!)

STUNNING!

Time to make that drive back tho. 6 hours to Phoenix, 3 hours to Flagstaff..
End up staying in Flagstafd for the night

Day 5!

Wake up in Flagstaff, take the drive to Phoenix.
Have to make a stop in Scottsdale tho..
Have to do ONE last thing before my flight at 11pm..

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸AMERICA!!!!!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

(Didnt get a pic of the 1911 😢)

Guy at the counter "Where you from"
Me "New Jersey"
Guy at the counter "Welcome to freedom"
*handshake*
*inner me, tears. Penis +3 inches*

Eat some food, drop off car, head to airport.
On plane at 11.
Sleep like a baby..

Back home!

Fucking GLORIOUS TRIP.

10 out of 10.

Cost me, with 2 people, around $1500-$2000 tops. Not bad at all. Could have saved a bunch (that stupid car was $400...) Found numerous motel deals and snacked along the way cheaply (one restaurant stop, it fucking sucked..do not do)

I dont get how the locals even drive around without being an awe of the place.
Once I was about 90min outside of Phoenix it was absolutely beautiful in every direction..

So, where should I go in the Spring?!

Is this the 2019 version of showing people slides from your trip?

desertdroog

Thank you for your visit.

A couple questions.

1. Which Circle K did you stop at? Somewhere by the airport?

2. Did you get some craft beer at Mother Road Brewery in Flagstaff, on historic Route 66?

3. Does our scenery ever get old? No. The Grand Canyon continues to take my breath away as much as it did when I was 5 years old.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm heavily considering a New Mexico / Arizona run soon. Always wanted to see that kind of landscape.

Just got done with 6 days in San Diego and Breckinridge. Gorgeous places. Checking out the ocean and palm trees one day, then deep in a mountain forest the next.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I moved here from IL and do not regret it. Although I have a theory that the forced power outages in California are to trick people into moving here (more than they already are) to ruin it, which is apparently a very Arizonan theory to have.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for your visit.

A couple questions.

1. Which Circle K did you stop at? Somewhere by the airport?

2. Did you get some craft beer at Mother Road Brewery in Flagstaff, on historic Route 66?

3. Does our scenery ever get old? No. The Grand Canyon continues to take my breath away as much as it did when I was 5 years old.

The Circle K, if I'm not mistaken was on 16th and MLK.

Nah, didnt hit the brewery. Had my 18 year old son with me and tons of driving to do.

Didnt get old to me one bit. I live in NJ, outside Philly, never seen the desert or just wide open spaces like that. I'm not used to driving and seeing such beauty and open space. I'd drop everything and move to AZ in a heartbeat if I had a job opportunity offering me equal pay and such.
A couple days in the state and I'm convinced it's where I want to retire to.

I fucking love Arizona. I've lived here for 23 years now. I do a lot of outdoor activities like mountain biking and I'm in constant awe of how great it is to be within 20-40 minutes of many gorgeous mountains.

You missed out on the most amazing place here and probably my favorite place on Earth.

Sedona. You were right there too!!

Last edited:

Sedona. I'm in first person here.

Lots of spots where there was a nice 800ft cliff inches away from my right side.

That part at 1:20 is so breathtaking. I feel butterflies every time I watch that part of that video just from the memories.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I fucking love Arizona. I've lived here for 23 years now. I do a lot of outdoor activities like mountain biking and I'm in constant awe of how great it is to be within 20-40 minutes of many gorgeous mountains.

You missed out on the most amazing place here and probably my favorite place on Earth.

Sedona. You were right there too!!

I know! I had so many more places I wanted to go!
Sedona, Jerome, actually see Lake Powell.. etc..

Was on a mission to see natural/heritage sites right now I guess.

Trip 2 to AZ is just gonna be chilling in one spot for a week and taking it in.
Those mountains around Flagstaff are just incredible.

I know! I had so many more places I wanted to go!
Sedona, Jerome, actually see Lake Powell.. etc..

Was on a mission to see natural/heritage sites right now I guess.

Trip 2 to AZ is just gonna be chilling in one spot for a week and taking it in.
Those mountains around Flagstaff are just incredible.

HIGHLY recommend Sedona for that. Bell Rock Resort is amazing. Also Sedona is close to Prescott and Flagstaff, so you can go explore quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member

Sedona. I'm in first person here.

Jesus...its like being on another planet! That scenery.

I couldnt do the heights tho.

At the Canyon and Horseshoe my palms were sweaty just watching people give zero fucks.
I was yelling at my 18 year old like he was 8 to stay away from the edge.

Every spot we went to groups of Asians gave ZERO fucks and walked up, sat by, etc. The edge. Those people are fearless! Lol

At the Canyon an Elk walked by and I freaked out, told my son to watch out it's a moose and could charge..
A. I have no idea what a moose or elk looks like
B. I have no idea if they will charge.
C. I am so shitty at nature

Jesus...its like being on another planet! That scenery.

I couldnt do the heights tho.

At the Canyon and Horseshoe my palms were sweaty just watching people give zero fucks.
I was yelling at my 18 year old like he was 8 to stay away from the edge.

Every spot we went to groups of Asians gave ZERO fucks and walked up, sat by, etc. The edge. Those people are fearless! Lol

At the Canyon an Elk walked by and I freaked out, told my son to watch out it's a moose and could charge..
A. I have no idea what a moose or elk looks like
B. I have no idea if they will charge.
C. I am so shitty at nature

Not gonna lie. I got a little stupid during my last Grand Canyon trip.

But yeah, I LOVE it when friends from out of town come here. I always take them to Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

Photographic evidence of my stupidity.
Grand Canyon

Last edited:
I'd drop everything and move to AZ in a heartbeat if I had a job opportunity offering me equal pay and such.
A couple days in the state and I'm convinced it's where I want to retire to.

The cost of living in AZ is much cheaper than the East Coast. Make a spreadsheet and figure out how much you'd need to live comfortably. I say take the chance if you get it. Waking up every morning to sunshine makes such a positive impact on your life, it's amazing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
EnrWs9g.png

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie. I got a little stupid during my last Grand Canyon trip.

But yeah, I LOVE it when friends from out of town come here. I always take them to Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

Photographic evidence of my stupidity.
Grand Canyon

No, no, no NO!! Get down from there! Lol

Ever see this video, I stupidly watched it before going.

Gandara

Unfortunately the last time I visited Arizona, it was hot as hell. I think the last time it was around 110 degrees in Phoenix. So I wasn't able to enjoy it.

desertdroog

If you're going to NM you may as well make a quick stop in El Paso to see the border and eat some real Mexican food.
We have real Mexican food in Az. Hell, Chicago's west side has it as well. Illinois gas the largest population of Mexican immigrants outside of the southwest.

My coworker has been a citizen for about eight years now, he is from San Luis Potosí, I have a friend who naturalized here from Enseñada. They know the spots in and around town that compare to their home towns, and while El Paso has probably the only good Mexican food in Texas, it's because it isn't Tex-Mex.

If you didn't get good Mexican in Az, it's because you don't know the spots.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We have real Mexican food in Az. Hell, Chicago's west side has it as well. Illinois gas the largest population of Mexican immigrants outside of the southwest.

My coworker has been a citizen for about eight years now, he is from San Luis Potosí, I have a friend who naturalized here from Enseñada. They know the spots in and around town that compare to their home towns, and while El Paso has probably the only good Mexican food in Texas, it's because it isn't Tex-Mex.

If you didn't get good Mexican in Az, it's because you don't know the spots.
I'm gonna need a list sometime in the next 6 months lol.

desertdroog

I'm gonna need a list sometime in the next 6 months lol.
Will help you out when the time comes. Be prepared to visit the barrio and scary parts of town.

Here is a primer. Some of the places listed are gringoized:

Last edited:

hux3ly

Neo Member
I grew up in that place...

Moved there in 1984, grew up living in Glendale.
I discovered southwest punk rock, skateboarding, and racism.
Attended Ironwood High School, and still knew nothing about the world around me.
In many ways I miss and hate that place.

Outside the city, is where the real beauty of Arizona lies.

The miles of farmland, incredible vistas of an almost martian terrain.
Sedona, sedona, sedona. Such a trendy place these days. Slide rock (beers), and red rocks 1995.
A.M. 1060 KUKQ - You live on in my heart, until I die.

Looks awesome OP.

Thaedolus

Unloading a moving truck in mid July and seeing 122 on my dash mid June was enough to convince me not to live in Phoenix long term, but the state as a whole is cool as fuck. The heat in the valley is good motivation to get out and explore the more moderate parts of the state in the mountains and such. Lots of camping by Flagstaff and Payson and Showlow when I was living there. But fuck man, that heat is just brutal 7-8 months a year

Top Bottom